tailgate- plastic? paint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tailgate- plastic? paint?

guys, 3 ?: a) does your rdx lower tailgate seem to be made of plastic molding material? why ask this question (see next par)? [the 2010 is apparently based on reading but not 100% sure]

seems like, as with all plastic, there's an "edge" to the molding (a line which you can see, feel), and once you spray paint/clearcoat on top of it, sooner or later it will show (eg. plastic molding - similar to water bottle, toys etc). i guess this is a perenial honda/rdx problem (eg. seen some posts on the front bumper), b)what about the lower portion of your tailgates - do you see the lines/mold? more specfically just near the taillights? i hv a silver rdx and the "molding line" show (dunno if you guys get what i mean i can describe further as necessary)

finally, c) any idea how thick this sheet of plastic used for the tailgate? seems hollow on the inside, i wonder if it's as thick as the sheet metal for the body parts (eg. fenders etc).

thx
Old 11-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Yep, it's plastic alright. I've never noticed the mold line, but I am not surprised to hear you have one. There are a few of us who have noted the mismatched paint as well (plastic vs sheet metal).
Old 11-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Yep, it's plastic alright. I've never noticed the mold line, but I am not surprised to hear you have one. There are a few of us who have noted the mismatched paint as well (plastic vs sheet metal).
yep, it is there on mine. youll see it when you peer through the crevice just in b/w taillights and the tailgate (eg. edge of tailgate on the sides) on mine, prolly exacerbated by shitty paint as mine's silver (some metal metallic - dont remember what its orig called LOL) and prolly not able to hide teh mold line - tried to see one in the dealership showroon (grigio) and didnt see the "mold line" - but then again, could be "showroom" model hence... interestingly enough, paint isnt mismatched on mine nor are they peeling on the front bumper corners

btw, y arnt you suprised to hear i got the mold line? (typical qlty issue?) thanks

Last edited by stoxxsp500; 11-15-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

stoxx, am not surprised- got it in mine too after you posted it. dang! unfortunately, my front bumpers also peeling (ive bumped an ol thread bout it just in case youre curious since lots of others have had the same prob)
Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wty
yes - that is a composite.
no peeling here still. Looks as good as new. (CBP)
Old 11-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XIS
wty
yes - that is a composite.
no peeling here still. Looks as good as new. (CBP)
XIS, warranty on the bumpers? yeah, hence y i bumped the other post up to see if anything new there, so far touch up paint.

what's "CBP"?

btw, stxx, i researched and that tailgate isnt one complete piece, it's modular - got a hold of the service manual in my dealership who was kind enough to share it w/me (and 5 mins walk fm me too ).

i thnk the mold on the outside is called the tailgate lower trim. it is clipped into the tailgate proper. that lower trim has the decals acura, rdx, sh-awd, from one end to the other (incl the silvery piece for the plate) but excl the inner taillights, that's one single piece clipped on top of the tailgate proper. so no worries on the mold- it's replaceable eventually, sucks but i guess that's acura qlty for us in body parts.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if it is just peeling for no reason, YES - I would push for wty. No charge re-painting if it is bad enough. Can you post photos?

CBP = carbon bronze pearl... My color. Not sure if certain colors are peeling more or less than others??
Old 11-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Intermediate

for this thread, eg. tailgate "mold line" in mine shows - the paint is on top so no "peeling" yet, but the mold like is visible (im sure you get the drift). yeah i wnder if these paint issues are color specific - white, palladium/silver seems to be quite obvious.

ill post front bumper pic on the front bumpr thread that i just "bumped" once i get the chance nxt few days (now wheres that damn digicam)
Old 11-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Intermediate

correction: mold line not mold "like" LOL - still cant edit my posts
Old 11-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by amfsumo
XIS, warranty on the bumpers? yeah, hence y i bumped the other post up to see if anything new there, so far touch up paint.

what's "CBP"?

btw, stxx, i researched and that tailgate isnt one complete piece, it's modular - got a hold of the service manual in my dealership who was kind enough to share it w/me (and 5 mins walk fm me too ).

i thnk the mold on the outside is called the tailgate lower trim. it is clipped into the tailgate proper. that lower trim has the decals acura, rdx, sh-awd, from one end to the other (incl the silvery piece for the plate) but excl the inner taillights, that's one single piece clipped on top of the tailgate proper. so no worries on the mold- it's replaceable eventually, sucks but i guess that's acura qlty for us in body parts.
fyi, what you refer to as "molds on the outside=tailgate lower trim" is diff b/w pre and post 2010 MYs. while both are made of composite, design is diff. nonetheless, both are prone to paint peeling more so on lighter based paints (but still happens on darker ones also) - hence based on my own experience with the 2010, this hasnt been "solved" by honda/acura - at least not in the mfg process itself.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 PM
5th Gear

see my post under "RDX front bumper paint peel off" on 10/12/2011; I have these same issues as you describe with rear bumper taillight area. I didn't know this was plastic however!