Size of winter tires & rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Size of winter tires & rims

I am thinking to get a set of winter tires. Just wondering if it would be ok to put 16" or 17" rims with "thicker" tires to make up the same overall diameter of the wheel. I understand that the overall diameter size will affect the reading on odometer. So, I assume if I have the same over diameter on the set, odometer reading should be fine. What about the TPMS ? I'd appreciate any comments or experience sharing. Thanks
Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by acurardx
I am thinking to get a set of winter tires. Just wondering if it would be ok to put 16" or 17" rims with "thicker" tires to make up the same overall diameter of the wheel. I understand that the overall diameter size will affect the reading on odometer. So, I assume if I have the same over diameter on the set, odometer reading should be fine. What about the TPMS ? I'd appreciate any comments or experience sharing. Thanks

You mentioned the major factor to take into account -- overall diameter. The only other major issue to be aware of when going down in wheel size is to make sure there is adequate clearance for the brake calipers and rotors inside the smaller wheels. This is primarily an issue on sports cars with large brakes, but it's something to be aware of in general. I had a couple Subarus that came with 17" wheels and would not accomodate smaller wheels because of brake clearance requirements.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Size

Originally Posted by c_hunter
You mentioned the major factor to take into account -- overall diameter. The only other major issue to be aware of when going down in wheel size is to make sure there is adequate clearance for the brake calipers and rotors inside the smaller wheels. This is primarily an issue on sports cars with large brakes, but it's something to be aware of in general. I had a couple Subarus that came with 17" wheels and would not accomodate smaller wheels because of brake clearance requirements.
ic. Thanks for the advice. I guess 17" would be ok as some members here have put the 17" on.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
You should get your package from a knowledgeable dealer such as Tire Rack. They should be able to easily put you in a package that maintains the same overall rolling diameter, in wheels that will clear, but likely a narrower section than stock, as wide sections and snow don't mix. This is not something to guess on.

The good thing about a firm like Tire Rack, is they are very good about standing behind what they sell, at least, in my experience. I am sure you also have local dealers that are equal to or better than Tire Rack, plus you have a local source to go to for trouble.

PS--I hope I do not sound too preachy. That is not the intent. Just trying to offer the benefit of past lessons learned. Guessing has gotten me into trouble before with wheels and tires.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Two more things to consider about using Tire Rack:

First, they can drop ship to an installer in your area if you don't want to do the work yourself and don't want to schlep the tires around yourself. And second, some local installers will match their prices and charge you only for the mounting on top of that (which is what you would have paid if you had done the drop ship route, but you get them faster).

I've had good luck with taking a tire quote from tirerack.com to Wheel Works and having them match it (+ mount fees). I also found that my preferred service place was listed in their drop ship database so it was easy to go that route as well.

Right now tirerack.com lists 17 and 18 inch winter applications for the RDX, but the 17 inch tires are "sold out for the season" so you can only really order an 18 inch combo.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:59 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Two more things about tire rack...

I did get the 17's with Blizzak's from them and their wonderful.

They only balance wheels in US ounces, not Metric grams, when I got my standard A1 at the dealer they mentioned this and rebalanced the wheels, and I did notice a little bit smoother ride....thought the little roughness was just the winter tires. Just my