Should I get an RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get an RDX?

Hey guys, this is my first post here so please excuse me if I end up saying anything dumb/ignorant.

So, I'm a college student just finished with my 3rd year. I currently drive a little '02 Civic EX. But I'm looking to get an AWD small-ish SUV by July this summer. The place I'm living at next year gets heavy snow and rain a lot. Can't be slipping and sliding in a Civic anymore.

This is why I've come to ask you guys, since I'm becoming interested in getting a '08 RDX w/ tech. Is this what I've been looking for, or is there another car I should be looking at? I also drive my parents' 04' MDX around a lot so I have that to compare to also. And I'm not looking to spend more than ~$25k on this.

Thanks guys! Any input is appreciated! I just wanna get a feel for your opinions before I got test drive an RDX this saturday.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 AM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
RDX is the best bang for the buck.. the AWD is one of the best too.. beats out audi and infiniti IMO
Old 05-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Intermediate

That's what I've heard too, that the SH-AWD is probably the best out there. I'm just wondering if the RDX really is as small as people say it is.

I've looked into the audi Q5 and BMW X3 also. well, consensus seems to say that audi's aren't reliable and from my dad's experience with his BMW's, repairs just just keep piling up... and they're expensive too...

I test drove a murano the other day. Really didn't like it. That CVT transmission just felt awkward, to say the least. and the engine sounded like a little boy pretending to be a man, if you know what i mean.

I'm just wondering if there's any other cars I should be drawing comparisons to right now.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:01 PM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
you forgot the infiniti FX35 and the EX35. also the lexus RS.. sad to say but the GMC terrain is a decent vehicle and has come a long way.. they are all things i would consider too..
Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

My very original intention was the FX, actually. but from a "need" perspective, i saw the RDX as a more justified choice since the FX strikes me as a less practical crossover when you put the two side by side. The EX I've heard is real good for the money, but it's just way too small in the back for when i have to haul my school stuff 200+ miles to and from home.

I'm 20 right now and like most guys my age, I want something sporty and real fun to drive. If it were purely "want" based, I'd be trying to get a sport sedan. but I need the cargo space and what not. so here I am. From what I can tell, the RDX is the least truck-like out of all the competition. correct me if i'm wrong?
Old 05-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you don't mind the subpar gas mileage I say do it! My parents has the 09 Murano and it suit them very well. Its just not sporty as the RDX. If feels topsy and floaty but again it was geared towards the comfort side. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 89 Posts
I tend to agree with your analysis--for all the factors that are important to you, the RDX sounds like a smart choice. Now the trick will be to find one in good shape with decent mileage that fits your price range.

The other thing I'll add (and this is more of a paid political advertisement), but AWD is not some magic potion that makes driving in snow and ice a piece of cake. Your FWD Civic is just fine, especially if outfitted with winter tires. I can't tell you how many 4WD trucks and SUVs I saw flipped over on the side of the road when I lived in Virginia, or how many I saw blowing past me at patently unsafe speeds for conditions (probably to become one of those flip-overs at some point). AWD will help some, but is not a panacea.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DateTSX
If you don't mind the subpar gas mileage I say do it! My parents has the 09 Murano and it suit them very well. Its just not sporty as the RDX. If feels topsy and floaty but again it was geared towards the comfort side. Good luck!
Yea, when i drove the murano, i felt like i was riding on a cloud. Immediately, I realized it was geared completely towards comfort. not nearly as exciting a car as i want right now. My mother on the other really loves the murano... go figure, huh...

That's also your white rdx on your profile pic i'm assuming, DateTSX? Looks real nice! Yea at this point I'm pretty split between either a white or a black rdx... but thats really the least of my preferences at the moment haha
Old 05-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
I tend to agree with your analysis--for all the factors that are important to you, the RDX sounds like a smart choice. Now the trick will be to find one in good shape with decent mileage that fits your price range.

The other thing I'll add (and this is more of a paid political advertisement), but AWD is not some magic potion that makes driving in snow and ice a piece of cake. Your FWD Civic is just fine, especially if outfitted with winter tires. I can't tell you how many 4WD trucks and SUVs I saw flipped over on the side of the road when I lived in Virginia, or how many I saw blowing past me at patently unsafe speeds for conditions (probably to become one of those flip-overs at some point). AWD will help some, but is not a panacea.
Well, I'm looking at local Acura inventories here in Queens/Long Island, and 2008 w/ tech go for anywhere from 21-25k depending on mileage. and mileage on most are around the 35k area. i'm hoping maybe i can bring my mother and have her work some of her bargaining magic and the price cut down a thousand or two... maybe.... haha

and about the AWD, I totally understand it's not a Cure-All to snow and ice. But having to get a set of winter tires to bring to school for my FWD Civic may prove to be a bit cumbersome ya know? In the winter, I try not to touch my Civic unless I REALLY need to drive. At home, in the snow, I always take my parents' '04 MDX out when i have to and that thing plows through like no other. Just this past winter, we had like 2 feet of snow one night and the MDX charged through unplowed snow everywhere i drove when dozens of cars were stuck around me. It was almost horrifying how many cars were ditched that night. but thats besides the point. Point is, I've grown to love this SH-AWD and though its not Cure-All magic, its proven to be close to it. Hope the RDX can live up to its older version big brother MDX in my driveway right now.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
im not sure if 04 mdx has sh-awd but the one on the rdx is great. its the car that gets me to work all canadian winter long. i dont have winter tires since they are expensive. car is fine in snow with all seasons.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

oh you're right pickler. I stand corrected. the 04 mdx uses the VTM-4 AWD system. they didnt implement the SH-AWD into the mdx until 2006-2007 year model. yea the VTM-4 is more than enough for dealing with the toughest snow storms in my experience. I'm sure I'll be perfectly fine with the SH-AWD.

At this point I'm pretty set on getting an RDX... after failing to convince myself otherwise for the past week or so. now the problem is finding a 2008 w/ tech in a color i want in good condition.....

i've realized no one in New York City or anywhere near it drives RDX's... barely see any. I'll feel special when i get mine. but how do I get one when dealerships barely have any good used ones... hm...
Old 05-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Racer

I'm in need of an updated pic, as a matter fact I wash it yesterday so I might take some pictures today. I've own many black/white cars in the past neither were easy to clean. Its too bad they drop the blue in the States. In any case, I bought mine used and get it with All wheel drive. A civic with winters tire is great but the height issue will still be a problem!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Intermediate

DateTSX, I wouldn't mind some new pics!! haha

Just went to Westchester for a test drive with a 2008 w/ tech! Polished metal metallic exterior, black interior. it was in surprisingly great condition. this was the first rdx i've driven. I have to say, coming from the MDX and the civic, the RDX felt really responsive. It hugs turns like a sports sedan, though I do feel the ~4000lbs roll JUST a little bit. then again, comparing that to my MDX, where I feel like I'm getting thrown off my seat a little bit at tight turns, these ~4000lbs don't feel like much at all. Steering is tight like I want it. And the ride overall is pretty low, probably not as low as the EX35 though. but low enough.

overall, I loved the ride. I think I'll be going back there tomorrow morning to check out all the little things I missed today. Maybe try out the paddle shifters etc. And if I'm still as ecstatic as I am right now about the car, I'm dropping the hammer! Yeahh!! haha
Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 89 Posts
Good luck!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Intermediate

Picked up my new 2008 RDX w/ tech yesterday!!!!! ...well that sounds a little oxymoronic... but you all know what I mean! Been playing with it all day. Thanks guys, for all your input and suggestions! I'm sure I'll be a happy RDX owner for a long long time to come. Ahh, can't get over how pretty this little thing is... haha let me go for another drive now...
Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
glad you went with the RDX - I live in NYC and as did not get stuck in the recent past winter snow storm with the RDX.

You are going to love it in the rain and snow.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
the FWD RDX is not that bad. its actually pretty good in snow specially if you get some decent snow tires. its also much lighter and has better fuel economy. i heard the ride is a tad softer as well and it doesn't really cut the fun to drive factor except in hard cornering.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Intermediate

Oh, don't worry pickler, I got the AWD. They didn't have FWD for the 2008 year model and frankly, I'd still choose the AWD even if they had FWD option for my year model. I can't wait to test it out in some rain/snow. But for now, I'm enjoying the great handling of this 2 ton "go-cart" haha
Old 06-02-2011, 04:35 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
Congrats on the RDX!!

I came from driving coupes and sedans all my life and you don't believe how easy life is with a CUV. The only downside to my RDX is the 19-20 combined mpgs compared to the 25-26 combined in my TSX.

The sh-awd only works under power. If you are coasting into corner (10-20 mph above the posted speed limit); the RDX will feel like a 2-ton top heavy SUV holding on for dear life. Once you apply power, sh-awd drive will kick-in and rotate the RDX around the corner like you are riding on rails.

I once was being tailgated by a 06 TL on a 35mph 360 degree Hwy on ramp and I widen the gap to about 5-6 car lengths when I entered the hwy at +60 mph. The TL was leaning pretty hard trying to keep up with me. SH-AWD separates the “pretenders” from the “contenders” when the road has a few twists and turns.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

mrgold, I definitely feel the handling difference in the RDX. And yes I have also realized that the sh-awd only works under power. I use several 360 highway ramps pretty frequently near home and have tried coasting through some, and gassing through some. Very noticeable difference. When coasting, everything seems to lean outwards as if getting thrown off the ramp. When gassing, I still feel myself shifting to the outer edge of my seat, but I feel the car forcing itself towards the center of the circle, especially at higher speeds. I can't wait to drive the 200 miles back up to school in august. wonder how many cars will try to tailgate me then. I get quite a few doing that to me when i drove my civic ex. poor little guy just roared loudly when i stepped down hard, but didnt go much faster. now with the RDX, it will be a whole different story haha
Old 06-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Racer

Congrats on the car! Sorry I couldn't get any pic up. I wanted to take some but we got some nasty storm/tornado in Ma the other day. Enjoy the RDX and you should post some pictures of it.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The RDX is a very nice small SUV, the AWD is great in bad weather.... but here at work we have started to see older RDX's come in with leaking turbos, and if it needs to be replaced and your out of warranty its going to cost a pretty penny....
Old 06-05-2011, 02:52 AM
Intermediate

I'll post pics of the RDX once this account lets me. Apparently I can't post pics until I've been member for 15 days. I also gotta wash my car sometime before I take more pics of it... With pollen level like this in New York lately, my car is now green tinted all over after only 3 days since getting it from the dealership... Great.

Elson, what you said about the leaking turbos, do you see a lot of those RDX's? I've heard this engine/turbo has been pretty reliable and not many people have experienced problems regarding this. Maybe some have had weak stock batteries in their RDX, but that's about all the problems I've heard about. Maybe those leaky turbos you've seen are caused by ignorant owners who didnt put in 93 octane fuel? or didnt get their oil changed enough?
Old 06-05-2011, 02:56 AM
Intermediate

JCRDX11, you said you're from New York right? I'm wondering since everyone seems to have gotten the Hondata ECU reflash, have you gotten it? Because I might want to do that once I have enough spare money. I'd like to know where you got yours because I know Hondata doesn't let me order it myself and I'll need to go through some dealership. Unless I got the wrong info. It would be awesome if you can let me know where I should go and what I should do. Thanks man!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Advanced

The RDX is a good vehicle. I drive them everyday at work. The go good from a stop to about 70 km's and then it's just a nice smooth acceleration from there.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nvbft90
I'm 20 right now and like most guys my age, I want something sporty and real fun to drive.
That's exactly how I felt and I'm glad I got the RDX. The handling on it is amazing and it doesn't feel truck-like at all.

Originally Posted by nvbft90
If it were purely "want" based, I'd be trying to get a sport sedan. but I need the cargo space and what not. so here I am. From what I can tell, the RDX is the least truck-like out of all the competition. correct me if i'm wrong?
With the back row of seats folded down there's plenty of cargo space, BUT I don't know if it'll be enough space to move a semester or year's worth of stuff to and from school.

I got an '07 non-tech and I really wish I had gotten the tech package, but that's my own fault. The gas mileage is definitely a downside sometimes, but it's manageable here in TX at < $4.00/gal for 93 octane (and you MUST fill up on premium).
Old 06-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1
The gas mileage is definitely a downside sometimes, but it's manageable here in TX at < $4.00/gal for 93 octane (and you MUST fill up on premium).
Damn, less than 4 bucks in TX? Here in NY, 93 octane is ~$4.30. Gas is gonna kill me. It's been 5 days since I got my RDX with a full tank and I gotta fill up soon. I've barely driven it anywhere either. But then again, I've been getting a little too excited while I drove these few days... My avg mpg is 11.7 oops!

One of my best friends actually got a new 2011 impreza 2.5i Premium the same day I got my RDX. (what a coincidence, huh?) The ride was smoother in his car than in mine and it was evident he had more power from 0-20mph, before my turbo kicked in. So at the stop light, he would blast off first, but only for a second or 2, cuz then my turbo slingshots me way ahead. That said, I can't deny the nice feeling of being low on the ground like he is in the Subie. But I wouldn't think for a second to switch cars with him haha. Been 5 days in, and still loving this RDX to the last speck of dust on it.