Roof rack molding removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:07 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Roof rack molding removal

OK, the other thread running on roof rack installation inspired me to buy one and install myself. I'm handy enough but have already run into a problem where the four clips holding the molding on the front windshield pillar don't look like the instruction picture of them - no slots to insert the screwdriver blade into (see the instructions page 2 in the sticky thread showing the slots). And, they're white instead of pink as labeled in the instructions. I don't want to just start prying up and bend the molding.

Any body else do this recently with a little advice to offer? Thanks.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:39 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe someone else noted it was easier to start removing the trim from the back. There is a cover that pops off, and then you can work the trim off from that point forward. Have not tried it yet myself -- still thinking about buying a rack here....
Old 02-27-2007, 09:07 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Those are the wrong instructions in the sticky -- appear to be an old version. Get these new ones:

http://handa-accessories.com/rdx/rack.pdf

Note the publication number -- BII 32599-33745 -- this is the new version of the instructions. This should make more sense!

Not sure if there was a production change, or what. It's conceivable that there are two different types of clips in use depending on when the RDX was built. Or maybe the earlier instructions were just wrong. Someone who has done the install can comment better than me.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:08 PM
8th Gear

Hi,
I'm the guy who posted the tips for roof rack installation. Getting those first clips off at the base of the windshield is the tough part. You must insert the tool (putty knife or KTC tool) between the paint of the A pillar (tape it to protect the paint) and the thin black rubber strip that is attached to the black trim strip. It takes a fair amount of force to pry up the black strip while using your other hand to pull the strip toward the outside of the car. As you pull it toward the outside you kind of rotate it so the strip comes off the two prongs of the trim clip. It takes more force than you'll think is reasonable. It isn't too easy and you'll think you're likely to to ruin the black strip. Once you get the bottom clip off the rest are much easier. The instructions I used are the same as mentioned in the other response to your question. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:25 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
OK - I did the dirty deed today. Thanks to c_hunter and allencic for your helpful comments. The result is excellent, if I might say so myself and the chances are good that the dealer wouldn't have done as good a job (though they wouldn't have taken as long either). I ended up making my own tool to remove the molding out of sheet metal - I'd take a picture except I can't post pictures yet.

This is one of those jobs that would be done in 25% of the time the second time around.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:40 PM
8th Gear

Drewboy,

Congrats on installing your roof rack. I agree that if you had to do it again it would take much less time.

I willing to bet that after you got the first clip holding the trim strip off you realized that you wouldn't bend or otherwise screw things up and the rest of the trim removal went very quickly. I was concerned that when putting the strips back on (especially those that run down the windshield side) they wouldn't be nice and tight. As I'm sure you've found out that isn't a worry and the actual installation is a snap.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:38 AM
Advanced

Sorry for the late advice - but I wound up working from the rear to the front. The clips that secure the moulding to the roof seemed much easier to remove back there. Once they were detached I then slid the moulding off the front (if that makes sense), so as to avoid trying to unclip them (i.e.: pulling the moulding towards the rear of the vehicle).
Old 03-01-2007, 03:41 PM
8th Gear

Dear Pitt,
Good idea about sliding off the front of the trim strip. Should have tried that