(RL vs RDX cont'd) Just got from my test drive...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007 | 05:25 PM
Instructor

(RL vs RDX cont'd) Just got from my test drive...

Long story short: we're about $500 off a deal.

The RDX vs RL: I always felt a little too young to be toolin' around in an RL, while the RDX has that more youthful feeling for me. The RL has better brakes and acceleration however, suprisingly, the RDX feels considerably more nimble then the RL -- considering it's wheelbase is almost as wide and it is shorter it handles phenomenly for a vehicle it's size!

All-in-all my wife and I absolutely loved the RDX! It really doesn't have the "old man car" feel the RL does. It feels much more like a TSX in terms of the interior with slightly downscaled materials -- but that's fine with me. The RDX is really a utility car much more the the RL is. I was impressed with the large cargo space, and the relatively well laid out interior. I didn't miss any of the gadgetry that the RL has.

So here's what they offered me:

2005 RL 10,700 miles on it (clean car) + $2K and I'm out the door with the following:

+ Tech Package
+ AudioLink iPod installed
+ Full 3M

I'm hoping to get them down to $1,500 and then I'll pull the trigger.

So, after all that it looks like I may be joining the RDX ranks shortly.

One question: does the RDX have voice commands? I know it has the HFL.

Thanks everybody!

-N
Old 01-20-2007 | 05:50 PM
Pro

Yes, with the tech package you do get voice control over the climate control system, radio, and nav. I still think it doesn't work that well with any noise (like the fan or an open window), but you do get it...

Mike
Old 01-20-2007 | 06:38 PM
Instructor

Thanks cat!

Ok one more: is there any further info on how the back-up camera works (or if one is even available)?

Am going to try one more dealership in the AM to see if they have the car I want on the lot and are willing to deal.

-N
Old 01-20-2007 | 06:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nabbs
Thanks cat!

Ok one more: is there any further info on how the back-up camera works (or if one is even available)?

Am going to try one more dealership in the AM to see if they have the car I want on the lot and are willing to deal.

-N
Answered my own question: it comes standard with the tech packaged (something not in my RL).

Ok 2 more:

1- what are folks paying for the ipod installed?
2- same question but with back-up sensors.

Looks like the ipod is 200 in terms of parts (I paid $75 to have it installed in my RL).

Thanks!

-N
Old 01-20-2007 | 10:34 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

I was going to get the back up sensors - I've had them on quite a few vehicles - but once I got used to the back up camera, I realized there was no need for the sensors....the camera is a million times better.

I suggest you hold off for a day or two after you get the car.
Old 01-20-2007 | 10:39 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Make sure you are getting the RDX for invoice or lower. That used RL + $2K sounds like you are paying too much for the RDX.
Old 01-20-2007 | 11:27 PM
Racer

I've noticed several people on this board saying that they traded in 2005 and newer vehicles for the RDX. That seems like such a poor financial decision since you are taking a big hit so soon after the initial "drive it off the lot" depreciation. I guess I'm just very surprised that people would throw away thousands of dollars on hasty decisions.
Old 01-21-2007 | 01:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Don't get the musiclink for ipod. it isn't a very good product. You should probably already know this from having it in your RL. How do you handle the navigation of the ipod? The TTS software is total crap.

Anyway, I recommend the Neo ipod adapter as it allows you to control the ipod from the ipod, and everything else works just like the musiclink as far as steering wheel controls and integrating with the headunit and handsfreelink and navigation.....

Like craig said, you can get the RDX for invoice now. so what's the value of your RL? Is it around $34k? I figure with the invoice of the RDX being around $34xxx and add like $1k for the 3m protection and $200 for the musiclink. I think you could probably get better than the RL + $1500. Take that RL to carmax if you have one available to you. They would love to have an RL with 10700 miles on it.
Old 01-21-2007 | 06:22 AM
Instructor

The deal for the Tech RDX with iPod, 3M, TTL was 35, 520 (that's out the door price) and they offered me 33,500 for the RL -- I walked. I certainly could try and sell it privately, but then I don't save on tax (8.39%). I own the RL outright, so a 1,500 out-of-pocket to trade up to an 07 is very reasonable too me. The RL trade-in is between 33-36 according to various online sources, however you can find 05s for sale at 34-36K from dealers. So I would be happy with 34K on trade-in (remember I save a butt load on tax and state fees).

As creativeguy pointed out cars take a massive hit (I bought my RL new for 48K 16 months ago), so if I was a totally frugal guy I'd hang onto this car forever. Since I'm not, and actually want an RDX -- I'm going to find the cheapest (coupled with the easiest way) to get one.

Going to head up to Curry Acura which has an RDX in the color I want and see if I can't strike a better deal.

Rizzo -- good point on the back-up sensors, and btw, excellent write-up on the mirror! I would consider doing that mod once (and if) I get the car.

Stay tuned!
Old 01-21-2007 | 09:29 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by creativeguy
I've noticed several people on this board saying that they traded in 2005 and newer vehicles for the RDX. That seems like such a poor financial decision since you are taking a big hit so soon after the initial "drive it off the lot" depreciation. I guess I'm just very surprised that people would throw away thousands of dollars on hasty decisions.

I think it depends on the financial situation of the particular vehicle and person, and the resale value of the trade. I normally wait a little longer myself, but I ended up with $3700 positive equity on my 2.5 year old 05 Outback XT (it had the best resale value of any vehicle I have owned). Couple that with a lower finance rate and a smaller loan on the RDX, and I will actually spend less money on the RDX over the next 2.5 years than I would have with the remainder of the Outback loan. In this case, there wasn't really a direct financial hit for me.

Now, it is true that buying vehicles frequently is a dumb idea, and a good way to waste money. But I came to terms with that 3-4 cars ago . They are definitely not an investment -- you have to get some pleasure/enjoyment out of cars to justify frequent purchases.
Old 01-21-2007 | 10:57 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Originally Posted by creativeguy
Heh. I traded in my 2006 Ford Ranger because I could not drive that cramped vehicle everyday anymore. Sticker was $20k, bought if for $14.5k traded it in 1year and 17k mi later for $10.5k. Got no hits on a PP sale, and CarMax only offered $10k. Cars are a poor investment...

Nabbs - what part of the USA do you live in? I'd strongly reccomend aganst CarMax in So Calif. They dont do you any favors out here. An Acura dealer should blow them out of the water on an Acura trade, especially since they can "CPO" your car.
Old 01-21-2007 | 03:38 PM
Instructor

Rizzo -- Manhattan, NYC. I would never bother with CarMax or trying to sell it privately, because I need to trade-in with a dealer so I can save on tax.

So here's what I signed for with Curry Acura:

2007 RDX w/ Tech - $34,500
Trade-in 2005 RL - $33,500
Difference: $1,000 + $83.90 (tax) + $136 "fees"(whatever that means) = $1,219.75 drive off cost.
$500 refundable cash deposit on my CC

The other dealer just called and I'm going to see if I can get everything under a grand.

Now here is the kicker! Below is a quote for accessorries:
$429 - iPod installed (I'm not going to bother with the Acura musiclink crap)
$158.40 - Cargo Tray
$148.50 - all weather mats

Yet, if I browse to Curry's Parts Page at
http://www.curryacuraparts.com/rdx.html

I see the iPod is: $199
The floormats are $97
The Cargo Tray is $102

Holy cow these guys were gouging me! This is their *OWN* service dept prices list on *THEIR* website. Oh, well gotta make a buck somehow!

-N
Old 01-21-2007 | 03:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Holy cow these guys were gouging me! This is their *OWN* service dept prices list on *THEIR* website. Oh, well gotta make a buck somehow!

-N
Hey it's really hard to install floormats! make sure you ask them if they are ASE certified to install floor mats....
Old 01-21-2007 | 06:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sasair
Hey it's really hard to install floormats! make sure you ask them if they are ASE certified to install floor mats....
Sad but true. I can't say I was the most informed buyer (I was reading the forums on my BlackBerry while at the dealersh!t), but I can see how one could easily be suckered into paying extra for "dealer installed air in the tires."
Old 01-21-2007 | 06:31 PM
Sporty X type

Long story short: we're about $500 off a deal.

The RDX vs RL: I always felt a little too young to be toolin' around in an RL, while the RDX has that more youthful feeling for me. The RL has better brakes and acceleration however, suprisingly, the RDX feels considerably more nimble then the RL -- considering it's wheelbase is almost as wide and it is shorter it handles phenomenly for a vehicle it's size!

All-in-all my wife and I absolutely loved the RDX! It really doesn't have the "old man car" feel the RL does. It feels much more like a TSX in terms of the interior with slightly downscaled materials -- but that's fine with me. The RDX is really a utility car much more the the RL is. I was impressed with the large cargo space, and the relatively well laid out interior. I didn't miss any of the gadgetry that the RL has...................
Thanks everybody!

-N
See! I told ya you'd like the RDX, even after driving an RL!! It also sounds like, (from a later post) that your getting to a better deal. Good luck & congrats, if you get the RDX!
Old 01-21-2007 | 07:14 PM
Instructor

Rizzo -- Manhattan, NYC. I would never bother with CarMax or trying to sell it privately, because I need to trade-in with a dealer so I can save on tax.

So here's what I signed for with Curry Acura:

2007 RDX w/ Tech - $34,500
Trade-in 2005 RL - $33,500
Difference: $1,000 + $83.90 (tax) + $136 "fees"(whatever that means) = $1,219.75 drive off cost.
$500 refundable cash deposit on my CC

The other dealer just called and I'm going to see if I can get everything under a grand.

Now here is the kicker! Below is a quote for accessorries:
$429 - iPod installed (I'm not going to bother with the Acura musiclink crap)
$158.40 - Cargo Tray
$148.50 - all weather mats

Yet, if I browse to Curry's Parts Page at
http://www.curryacuraparts.com/rdx.html

I see the iPod is: $199
The floormats are $97
The Cargo Tray is $102

-N
Congrats Nabbs, I'm sure you will love it. Glad to have you with us on the RDX forums now. Life is to short and we should drive what we want within reason.