Replacing Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:10 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Windshield

I have a crack at the base of my winshield. No chip on the outside. It looks like a small defect, then spread almost 12 inches.

Anyone have their winshield replaced? What did it cost and any problems after it was done? Did dealer do it or did you go to a glass company. I will probably will have an issue with the dealer re who pays for this. I think it is a defect, and they will say it was a rock.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Had mine replaced already...and the replacement already has a chip. I went to a local glass place - one that has done several other windshields for me (I go through them like paper cups). My dealer told me that they would just send it out to a local glass place anyway, so I figured I'd cut out the middle man. No problems, and new one had same sun screen behind the mirror as the original. It just doesn't say Acura.

My insurance covered it, so I don't know what the final price was.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:52 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
The OEM windshield costs about $700+. A good aftermarket windshield is about $400. Most insurance will pay only for the aftermarket and you would have to make up the difference to get an OEM.

In addition to the big auto glass places with newly trained, high turnover young guys; there is an industry of independant glass guys who are heavily experienced. They are usually who the dealers call to come on site for glass work. They have long relationships with, and are well trusted by the dealers.

I had a 20+ year indy glass veteran come to my house to do the RDX windshield. (Met him at a dealership earlier and kept his number.) I had the RDX prepped with all of the trim removed, and I watched him work and we had a great conversation. I do all my own auto maintenance, but watching him, I learned that the windshield is a job for the highly experienced that day.

He could get OEM, or the best aftermarket glass he recommended was XYG. I went with XYG and it has served well, but XYG is not as perfect as OEM -- from the right angle, I can see a slight wave in it.

If I had to do it again, I would order OEM glass and pay the difference.

Last edited by 737 Jock; 05-24-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
try to find someone that will sell you an AP Tech glass for cheap, that is what Acura uses as OEM.

You just wont have the Acura stamp on the glass but everything else will be identical.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by mau108
try to find someone that will sell you an AP Tech glass for cheap, that is what Acura uses as OEM.

You just wont have the Acura stamp on the glass but everything else will be identical.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:36 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
AP Technoglass (AP Tech) was changed to AGC Automotive back in 2004. The parent company is Asahi Glass Company of Japan.

AGC Automotive has two factories in the US, but they also operate factories in China, India and Thailand.

The quality of AGC glass has declined over the years. Here are a few excerpts from pro glass installer's forums regarding the quality of AGC. The entries are from 2008 and the installers still refer to the glass as "AP Tech".

APTech windshield'z

we installed one yesterday and I was very disappointed.It waz a Fw 823 ggn.The fit was short in the top corner'z and the vinn # was supposed to be oval and it was squared off so the 1st and last # was only visible when angle viewed...double checked the sticker and was made in china....I used the APT brand in many Japaneze car'z before and fitted great...What a let down I thought I was hooking the customer up with a descent brand....lol.........What a joke I was...lol.........................
QuoteReply Re: APT windshield'z

I hear ya XS... I use to brag about AP tech being a good BRAND name windshield. I installed 3 1330's last month, (all AP tech). All 3 were badly distorted...Made in China. I have one on Monday and All my vendor had was Ap tech, I told them no thanks and got a 1478 LOF instead, Last week I installed DW1622 (Fusion) My best clients personal car. It was AP tech and after I installed it, I found it had that salt water film on it that would not come off...I had to run and buy a bottle of CLR to get it off, Called my vendor and asked them why they buy and sell that CRAP. It is so frustraiting when you sell your business on Quality Brand name parts and you have to install that crap. Not cool at all, Why can't the Chinese make quality parts?????????
The Enola Gay flew over the wrong country!!!!!
Most pro installers will tell you that "OE quality" or "OE Equivalent" is not the same as OEM glass -- unless of course they are trying to sell you some.

The hundreds of dollars difference between Acura branded glass and OE equivalent is not just the Acura logo. Quality suffers in the formulations and build processes when not building to Acura specifications. Consider that the windshield plays a large role in impact absorption and roll-over strength. To get the crash worthiness and quality of Acura spec'd glass, I believe you have to order Acura spec'd glass.

There is just no such thing as a free lunch.

Last edited by 737 Jock; 05-26-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
^ Yes but if you purchase an APT glass for the RDX or most other Acura vehicle is most likely is coming from the same warehouse the OEM glass is coming from. Doesn't make sense for them to have the China warehouse build glass for the RDX when they have a template and same glass coming out of their US warehouse.

It's all speculations here, from the post you quoted one installer did say when he installed these glass on Japanese vehicles they had proper fitment and most Honda/Acura vehicles that are for sale in North America are assembled in North America so I'd assume the glass for these vehicles are coming out of the US warehouses.

I'd still pick up an APT glass if it were my vehicle.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a crack in my two-month-old windshield, and my insurance covered it (in Kentucky cracked WS's are automatically covered by insurance). They used Safelite and they came out to my work and replaced it. They used an OEM and it has a lifetime guarantee against leakage or wind noise. I have had it now for three months and have never noticed a difference. Couldn't have been happier with the entire process.