RDX vs X3 Comparison Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:35 AM
07 Carbon Gray/Ebony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX vs X3 Comparison Review

I found another review. Link is below... Enjoy!

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...rdx_vs_x3.html
Old 01-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flags

This was great and along the lines of my own analysis. However, I found the X3's handling to be on par with the RDX. Coming from an RX-8, handling was a heavily weighted feature for me, and in this regard I found the X3 and RDX to be about equal. The X3 gave a little bit better "road feedback" to the driver through the steering wheel, but I disagree the RDX at all had a "sloppy response," as if it had I would not have bought it.

Second, one last point on handling.
There is a distinct difference in RDX handling as a result of a 19" wheel upgrade with low profile tires (I added Michelin ps2 tires with asymmetrical tread). It changes the car in very significant ways. It handles much more briskly (X3'ish) but the price paid is a rougher ride -- not for folks with kidney problems.

I liked the X3 -- a lot! -- but in the end I agreed with "DT":
The Acura is a lot of car for the money, while the BMW is a lot of money for the car.
Feature for feature that I valued, an X3 would have been a good $8k more than the RDX I bought, including my relatively above average array of accessories.

But then again, an Acura does not measure the same on the "snobometer" and for those who do receive utility from conspicuous consumption, the X3 is a more prestigious car.

As my friend (who has totally drank the BMW koolaid) remarked in despair after I chose the RDX, "Acura's are for people who want a BMW and can't afford one." Epistemologically, if he changed the "can't" to "won't" I resemble his remark
Old 01-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flags

Wasn't this already posted in your original Another RDX Review thread? I swear I read that already....
Old 01-30-2007, 11:00 AM
07 Carbon Gray/Ebony

Same website, two different reviews. The link to the first review I posted:
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...ban_dink_.html
is actually a different article than the one posted in this thread.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Oh it was in post #2 of that thread. carscomblogger posted it.... I knew I had seen the X3 comparison...
Old 01-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

By the way, that X3 is ugly, especially sitting next to the RDX....
Old 01-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by econman
I liked the X3 -- a lot! -- but in the end I agreed with "DT":
The Acura is a lot of car for the money, while the BMW is a lot of money for the car.
Feature for feature that I valued, an X3 would have been a good $8k more than the RDX I bought, including my relatively above average array of accessories.

But then again, an Acura does not measure the same on the "snobometer" and for those who do receive utility from conspicuous consumption, the X3 is a more prestigious car.

As my friend (who has totally drank the BMW koolaid) remarked in despair after I chose the RDX, "Acura's are for people who want a BMW and can't afford one." Epistemologically, if he changed the "can't" to "won't" I resemble his remark
I am just starting to look at the idea of a small suv or crossover vehicle as i may need one in the fall. The RDX is one that I will consider as its a very nice vehicle.

Value though can be percieved in different ways. The X3 is 5-10K more depending on options, but the options are some that Acura doesnt even offer and the standard vehicle has things like 6cyl engine, 6sp auto, and standard luxury features like auto up/dwn on all windows, heated windshield nozzles, full heated seats, etc, etc etc. plus the quality of materials such as real wood, aluminum etc on the interior. All this easily can eat up 5K.

I find a much more comparible vehicle may be a mazda CX-7 (GT AWD) which has the similar options, quality of materials and same drivetrains (mazda is actually 6sp auto) for about $4000 cdn less. Most mags like motor trend etc seem to be comparing the RDX to these types of vehicles rather than the X3. Personally the RDX seems a little more luxurious than the mazda, but mainly because of the name (not sure if its worth 4k more).
Old 01-30-2007, 01:21 PM
07 Carbon Gray/Ebony

Originally Posted by sasair
Oh it was in post #2 of that thread. carscomblogger posted it.... I knew I had seen the X3 comparison...
Sorry sasair, I didn't see that they had posted the other link
Old 01-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cp3117
I am just starting to look at the idea of a small suv or crossover vehicle as i may need one in the fall. The RDX is one that I will consider as its a very nice vehicle.

Value though can be percieved in different ways. The X3 is 5-10K more depending on options, but the options are some that Acura doesnt even offer and the standard vehicle has things like 6cyl engine, 6sp auto, and standard luxury features like auto up/dwn on all windows, heated windshield nozzles, full heated seats, etc, etc etc. plus the quality of materials such as real wood, aluminum etc on the interior. All this easily can eat up 5K.

I find a much more comparible vehicle may be a mazda CX-7 (GT AWD) which has the similar options, quality of materials and same drivetrains (mazda is actually 6sp auto) for about $4000 cdn less. Most mags like motor trend etc seem to be comparing the RDX to these types of vehicles rather than the X3. Personally the RDX seems a little more luxurious than the mazda, but mainly because of the name (not sure if its worth 4k more).
Your journey is similar to mine. As a former RX-8 driver, I like Mazda's VERY much and seriously considered the CX-7 but the engine and especially its turbo component was clearly superior to the CX-7 which I found to suffer from an unacceptable level of annoying turbo lag. Also, the CX-7 does not offer integrated Bluetooth which for me was a heavily weighted feature. Also, it's navigation system is poor in comparison to the RDX. Again, for me, another heavily weighted variable.

Yes, as discussed on another thread, the RDX's based model low price sort of puts it out of the X3 category in many significant ways that may have been an unintended consequence from an Acura corporate perspective? Nevertheless, Acura introduced this car unofficially as an "X3 killer" and as you point out this is not necessarily true.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Another "materials" consideration is not just what the features are made out of, but what they are lined with. The cupholders could use a rubber bottom to keep plastic drinks from sliding around and possibly a ring of those little rubber fingers like in the MDX to keep the drink centered. The small compartments on the armrests could stand to have some felt (even industrial felt) to make them more inviting for a pair of sunglasses. None of these add very much in terms of car cost, but they're very annoying when they aren't there.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:45 PM
boostin'

Originally Posted by econman
"Acura's are for people who want a BMW and can't afford one." Epistemologically, if he changed the "can't" to "won't" I resemble his remark
That's rediculous but true, people need to wake up and realize that the smart choice usually is the Acura over BMW, I had a BMW 3 series before my RSX, and I will be the first to say that Bimmers are way overpriced and after owning a few Acuras, it would take a lot from BMW for me to change and get another BMW
Old 01-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Agree

Originally Posted by RDX REX
That's rediculous but true, people need to wake up and realize that the smart choice usually is the Acura over BMW, I had a BMW 3 series before my RSX, and I will be the first to say that Bimmers are way overpriced and after owning a few Acuras, it would take a lot from BMW for me to change and get another BMW
Totally agree. It is all about making a smart choice instead of whether people can afford it. I think most people don't mind paying more for better stuff, but definately not paying more to get more worry.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Racer

The discussion generated on this thread has been great..and lots of good points all around. I've been driving a 2004 X3 around for a few months now (the only family car with snow tires) and I've learned to love it for the bumpy ride (keeps me awake) and responsiveness. But in the end, I'm still counting down to the end of the year when the lease is up so I can go ahead and finally get my RDX!!

Sure I can work a bit harder to get a new X3 but I don't need the badge-prestige and extra fine luxuries (heated steering wheel, heated nozzles, etc.) right now. I'd rather go bang-for-your buck without compromising comfort and performance...though I admit I will miss the huge moonroof and auto power windows.

PLUS, I feel anxious sometimes having to drive the X3 onto set when we're filming in a more sketchy areas of town.

2008 RDX Countdown = 10 months, 14 days
Old 01-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
When I went out looking for a new car and ended up with the RDX one of the items on my "must have" list was a panoramic sunroof like the X3 has. You can see that I dropped that pretty quickly, but still it must be nice! ;-)
Old 02-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Pro

I find it interesting that reliability hasn't really been discussed. It's clearly possible to use higher quality materials and just put them together worse. My impression (from folks I know and other articles) is that BMW isn't really at the top of the stack when it comes to reliability. That was the main reason I started buying Honda and Acura products...and will likely stick with them. I can't remember a time when I bought a car and didn't have at least 3-5 issues in the first 5000 miles. Both my Honda and my Acura have been stellar...

Mike
Old 02-01-2007, 04:48 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by catnippants
I find it interesting that reliability hasn't really been discussed. It's clearly possible to use higher quality materials and just put them together worse. My impression (from folks I know and other articles) is that BMW isn't really at the top of the stack when it comes to reliability. That was the main reason I started buying Honda and Acura products...and will likely stick with them. I can't remember a time when I bought a car and didn't have at least 3-5 issues in the first 5000 miles. Both my Honda and my Acura have been stellar...

Mike
While not up to Honda reliability BMW is definitely tops of the Germans. I know thats not hard but the few minor problems my mother in law had with her X3, the old model, were quickly fixed by the dealer. the new X3 is a few steps up in quality to hers as far as the materials being nicer. I miss the cargo nets though in the doors! replaced by molded plastic cubbies. lame.
The roof is great though.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Instructor

One advantage over BMW is the European Delivery Program. My wife and I have often talked about getting a BMW and picking it up in Europe. My parents did that with a Peugeot (Liberte 505) in France and I have very fond memories of the occasion.

-N
Old 02-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by flar
When I went out looking for a new car and ended up with the RDX one of the items on my "must have" list was a panoramic sunroof like the X3 has. You can see that I dropped that pretty quickly, but still it must be nice! ;-)

yup, that's exactly what I whispered to my hubby when we were sitting there working out numbers with the bimmer dealer. "I just can't see buying this car because of the sunroof"

True, we both thought it was slick, but hubby, who sat in the back seat during both the test drives on very curvey back roads commented that the back seat was rather uncomfortable in the bimmer. And the ride was definitely more harsh. In the long run, I coulndn't get past why Bimmer thought I would like to sit in front of those aircraft-like orange lights, and pay more for that crappy nav system. Finally, I wasn't comfortable with the purchase because of the reliablity issue which brought me to crunch numbers for a lease...then the whole deal felt stupid...like I was buying the car because of the sunroof...how ludicrous is that?

when we walked out of there without a deal...I actually felt incredibly relieved. I was surprised because I expected to feel disappointed.