rdx or tl for sh-awd? or just plain ol tsx no awd?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rdx or tl for sh-awd? or just plain ol tsx no awd?

i am new to the forum but thought the people in rdx land might have insights: essentially am looking forward to buy an acura (i liked my fiance's cr-v but want a more luxurious vehicle) but deciding which one - these are my criteria in terms of importance:

a) reliability (not all models are created equal right?)
b) safety (does sh-awd really matter?) - live in the snow belt regions
within safety, i presume we can include handling as a subsection...
c) resale value / price (tsx gets the edge here as its cheapest, of course)
d) gas consumption (i guess rdx is bottom of this list!)
e) looks (ok very subjective)

still undecided as of now but looking to make the purchase within the next week or two... for "Value for $" the rdx looks good -- but i may be wrong ... what better way to get more inputs than this... thanks a bunch!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stockpicker1102
i am new to the forum but thought the people in rdx land might have insights: essentially am looking forward to buy an acura (i liked my fiance's cr-v but want a more luxurious vehicle) but deciding which one - these are my criteria in terms of importance:

a) reliability (not all models are created equal right?)
b) safety (does sh-awd really matter?) - live in the snow belt regions
within safety, i presume we can include handling as a subsection...
c) resale value / price (tsx gets the edge here as its cheapest, of course)
d) gas consumption (i guess rdx is bottom of this list!)
e) looks (ok very subjective)

still undecided as of now but looking to make the purchase within the next week or two... for "Value for $" the rdx looks good -- but i may be wrong ... what better way to get more inputs than this... thanks a bunch!
Do you prefer comfort and quiet ride? If you prefer comfort and quiet ride take TL but if you want more sporty plus turbo sound get the RDX...
Old 02-22-2010, 12:10 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the only straying criteria you listed would be looks & MPG. I dont think any acura looks 'good' other than the MDX.

besides that - the RDX combines the best list of features, price, and value. IMO its the best driver in acura's lineup, however i have not driven the ZDX.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Cruisin'

thanks dudes ('81 and rdx)... leaning to rdx for the value for money proposition... comfort? well, not necessarily needed... am still young LOL... just fyi, i road bike a lot -- on uneven streets -- so i have a low "base" for comfort haha... will keep you posted on the final decision... now to find the best priced dealership... will keep ya posted within the next week or two... wish me luck! btw. i am not opting for tech pkg, people who own it here seem to hate the navi system for whatever reason -- besides that'll set me back another few $k...

btw. already test drove all of them... everyone had its pros and cons... though only test drove them for 30 mins - all of them 30 mins each
Old 02-22-2010, 08:53 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I am one of the complainers about the navi...
good luck on the hunt, prices seem to be high as some people have posted on the board lately.
As far as AWD or not for snow handling, I would say that tires matter more for traction, so any of the vehicles with a good set of snows should do the trick. If you need some clearance, the RDX may be better than the sedans.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Cruisin'

just an update: yes, visited/called./emailed 3 dealers so far -- seems like its better to buy brand new vs. used -- [no more car now - sold the cr-v... need one ASAP]... not averse to brand new - hopefully a good sign for resale... dealers were more willing to deal with the TL... but ive pretty much concluded we need a cr-v like vehicle for now
Old 02-25-2010, 10:22 AM
8th Gear

good choice! rdx ride is stiffer relative to my ol 2002 mdx (sold, bought in 07 used)... but well worth your $.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I didn't need the space, I'd go TL for sure. Faster, better handling, V6 power/response.

When I was faced with the choice, I went G35x.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:27 PM
big shot.

I prefer the RDX vs the new TL. Have a 2010 TL in the fam, i do not care for it at all. steering feel is absent, and so is TQ...yes it has the responses of a V6 - but where is the power?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Instructor

I have a 2007 RDX, and love it except for a couple of things.

1) No bottom end torque. My dealer loaned me a new V6 TSX, and that's the solution. Absolutely loved it. If I were to buy another Acura again, it would be the V6 TSX, along as I didn't need something to haul big stuff around in.

2) Nav system. Any Honda nav system is light years behind even portable GPS systems like TomTom or Garmin.

I've recently added a Suzuki Grand Vitara to my "fleet", and it solves both of the above problems. V6 gives lots of torque. The Garmin nav system is so cool, it even automatically links to my Blackberry, and gives me the hands-free ability to use the phone. And the address book in my Blackberry (with 2100 contacts) automatically wirelessly links to the Garmin.

The Suz has full time all wheel drive, and for a cool, sporty utility vehicle, it's just what I need. And sticker was about $13k less than a new RDX or TSX. And it has a better warranty than the RDX.

My wife has gotten to love the RDX now that I drive the Suz. So I'll keep both for now.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:22 AM
big shot.

The V6 TSX is not a solution to the RDX, unless you are solely concerned with speed/V6. its weight distribution, suck brakes, and understeer/TQ steer make for one overpriced unbalances sports car. For the V6 kind of money - RWD G37 Journey ALL DAY. the V6 TSX is out of its league at its price point. Id either get the TL (more car, a bit slower) or a fully juiced V6 accord and save a ton of money...or no acura at all.