RDX Tech Vs non Tech

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 03:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX Tech Vs non Tech

The rdx drive was very very good. Now with the tech package I need some Opinions

I am gonna lease the RDX and I am not sure if the tech package is worth it

I have a portable nuvi for my other car.

1) Is the upgraded audio siginificanlty better on regular cd's and sat radio ?

The only thing I really want in the tech package is the upgraded audio if it is much much better over standard audio

2) Also can anyone tell me if anyone has leased the RDX tech OR non tech and for what monthly price?

3) Is the fan noise an issue on all RDX's ( few have complained here )

Thanks
Old 12-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Advanced

I am totally blown away by the tech stereo. Ask to listen to the demo DVD-A disc that comes with the tech. Just the second and third track as it's the same song as regular CD and then as DVD-A. Set the volume to 30 and hang on.... the rest of the disc is also nice, but track 2 and 3 tell the whole story.

2) Also can anyone tell me if anyone has leased the RDX tech OR non tech and for what monthly price?

Can't comment I'm not in a lease

Not an issue for me at all - there is so much else to enjoy.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Advanced

Yes! Ok, that is the answer. I would not have bought without the Tech package. It makes the car. DVD Audio is the best thing since sliced...well you know the rest. Not always easy to find locally but online there is alot to choose from. The new Beatle's disc is out of this world, and I was tired of them. Not now, I play it over and over. Make sure you get the 2 Disc special. The other thing that I had to have was the Hands Free Link. With a blue tooth phone you never have to take it out of your pocket. As for the Navi, also a requirement for me, you will love the Live Traffic...if you live in an area where they have it. I use it everyday.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Cruisin'

My wife has to travel a lot for work, so having a Nav system and the Bluetooth are essential for her. I didn't really think that having BT available would make such a difference, but it's really nice to be able to have your phone pair up with the car every time you get in! (I got it with my BMW and I love it too.) Not sure if the non-techs get the backup camera or the XM radio, but those are great features too. Since you already have an aftermarket NAV system, it changes your equations a bit, but you'd have to work out whether the extra money per month is worth having BT and not having to string power cords around your dash and stuff.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are just looking for a utility SUV to haul kids and things with, then go buy an Explorer.

But if you want all that the RDX offers, go for it all. Sure, all the tech goodies in the RDX are pure indulgence and are by no means required, but why cheat yourself? The car was designed with all the good stuff in mind, so going with the base gives you less than the total package. If you can afford the base, chances are you can afford a few more bucks a month to get the Tech. I never even considered the base, and after 2 weeks with the dashboard of the starship Enterprise, would never consider giving it up.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:52 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
not worth it...

Heres my educated opinion--I say educated because I own an Acura TL with DVD-A. The DVD-A is awesome but there are only a handful of discs that are REALLY good DVD-A's. The selection sucks and it has for years.
The stock RDX stereo is very good..you wont be dissapointed in comparison.
If money is tight and your only reason fro tech package is DVD-A dont bother. Its not worth it...
Now navigation is essential. I would recommend it to anyone but the handheld units at this point are BETTER than the acura Nav. A garmin nuvi 660 has bluetooth for a phone and has an extra large screen for about 700 bucks.
Even the Nuvi 350 is as good or better than the acura nav.
Is it nice having it all wrapped up into the car ? Yes. But if your buying it just for the DVD-A dont bother. You will be dissapointed by the crap selection of discs available and even when they are available most dvd-a transfers dont sound much better than the original CD's.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The audio system in the tech is awesome, and it isn't only about the DVD-A capabillity. It has more power and clarity over the base model as well as other features. I don't think anyone here has bought the tech package specifically for the DVD-A capability.

The nav system IMO is better than any handheld unit, and the built in look can't be beat. Voice activated features totally integrated into the vehicle.

The bluetooth phone capability is terrific because it is integrated into the car. automatically pauses sound system, sound quality is excellent.

Rear view camera while most people have expressed negative comments about it, I love it. I don't use it all the time, but when I do, it helps tremendously. Plus if just once it saves me from running into a pole or another car or backing up over a kid's bike or skateboard or even the kid, it has made itself worth while to me.

resale value. when it comes time to trade or sell the RDX, the tech package is what alot of people will be looking for. will it make your vehicle worth $4000 more? of course not, but it will be worth its depreciated value.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Racer

Not having to stare at the suction cup marks on the windshield is reason enough to get the built in nav. Also, the rake of the RDX windshield is very steep, so the portable nav would likely be out of reach if you stick it to the base of the windshield. I can just barely reach my portable GPS when I install it in my Integra, and the RDX's dash is much deeper.

The lowering of the radio volume when phone or GPS alerts occur is also a great feature.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smjc_99
Might want to compare residuals on the tech and non-tech as I believe the tech has a lower residual, and as a result, will have a higher lease payment.

As a sidenote, I'm irritated that one has to purchase the tech package just to get Bluetooth. My current 04 TL is non-navi and it came standard with Bluetooth which I can't live without.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tripp11
As a sidenote, I'm irritated that one has to purchase the tech package just to get Bluetooth. My current 04 TL is non-navi and it came standard with Bluetooth which I can't live without.
I agree. I have no use for the Navi - I have never had a need for it, and the base stereo is terrific as is. The bluetooth would have been nice, though.

I expect we'll see it added on the base model of the 08's. I wonder if it would be possible to add to an 07 model as some sort of parts kit.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

I agree with everything posted above. My take is that if you don't really need the tech package there are advantages to not getting it.
- money savings
- greater simplicity of ergonomics
- fewer systems to break, maintain, not work the way you hoped, or to simply annoy
- it's a matter of personal preference but I prefer the appearence of the console without the centralized controller.

I do not have the tech package and appreciate these benefits. I also do miss Nav, bluetooth and a backup camera but I would choose non-tech again if I were buying another RDX.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by Fishbulb
I agree. I have no use for the Navi - I have never had a need for it, and the base stereo is terrific as is. The bluetooth would have been nice, though.

I expect we'll see it added on the base model of the 08's. I wonder if it would be possible to add to an 07 model as some sort of parts kit.
As with the any model, I agree that we'll see minor tweaks to the standard options list in '08; however, who knows if Bluetooth will be standard and available without a Tech Package.

As I use my phone frequently when driving and prefer the Bluetooth option with my car, I'll more than likely buy the Tech Package...but I won't be happy about it.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:02 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by zznalg
- it's a matter of personal preference but I prefer the appearence of the console without the centralized controller.
My local dealer did not have a RDX without the Nav and I don't think I've even seen a picture without Nav. Might look into that today; however, I do know the TL's look MUCH better with the Nav unit in place than without.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Instructor

My local dealer did not have a RDX without the Nav and I don't think I've even seen a picture without Nav. Might look into that today; however, I do know the TL's look MUCH better with the Nav unit in place than without.

If you search this forum, there are pictures posted of the non-tech dash.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
I have an 04 tl without Nav and the dash really doesnt look as nice without it. However my wife just bought a RDX non tech and I can tell you the only difference is the control knob is smaller and the stereo buttons are where the nav buttons are in the tech(much better placement on the non tech...they are borderline dangerous i the tech models buried real low and hard to reach). The display(the screen) is still exactly the same...I wish they would have done this with the non nav TL's but whatever. I still love my tl and now I love the RDX. Acura for life !
Old 01-17-2007, 09:15 PM
8th Gear

non tech/nav for me

I can understand the need for Nav if I lived in a metro area like the Bay area or LA and wasn't too familiar with the area, but for me, living in far northern CA and the fact that I am a retired geology professor who is not only comfortable with reading maps but have actual made plenty of maps, the Nav is a waste of money for me. I simply wouldn't use it. When Nav systems first came out I remember a road test of sorts (Car and Driver I think) where a top engineer for one of the big three used a Nav and was asked what he thought of it and would he want one for his car. Pretty neat he thought but he wouldn't bother with one. Why not? Because, he said, I can look out the windshield, know where I am, and I know where I'm going. I can't disagree with that. I'm more concerned with which dirt logging road will get me to a trout stream I want to fish.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Photographer

to each has its own. here in Hawaii the Nav. is pointless. impossible to get lost. well, unless of course you are a tourist. so i dont need the Nav. as for the stereo, the non tech is great! i havent heard the stereo in the tech. maybe i dont want to (might get jealous). as for the backup camera, useful but can live w/o.

that is why i went with the non tech.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Instructor

from brooklyn here, with tech. Just dropped off my mother in law at JFK airport. I know how to get there but, I used the navi anyway. hahaha.

Seriously though, this has gotten me around the tri-state area without getting me lost. And so far it's the most efficient.

The stereo, bluetooth, bla bla bla. It's all worth it imo and I use it often.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverJ
I have an 04 tl without Nav and the dash really doesnt look as nice without it. However my wife just bought a RDX non tech and I can tell you the only difference is the control knob is smaller and the stereo buttons are where the nav buttons are in the tech(much better placement on the non tech...they are borderline dangerous i the tech models buried real low and hard to reach). The display(the screen) is still exactly the same...I wish they would have done this with the non nav TL's but whatever. I still love my tl and now I love the RDX. Acura for life !
Borderline dangerous? Come on! The tech gives you 4 ways to change a radio station.
1. Steering wheel controls presets
2. Radio seek/scan controls
3. Nav Audio screen using the big knob controller

... and if you haven't already veered off the road:

4. VOICE CONTROL: "radio 100.5 FM"

Plus, with Hands Free Link I can be even SAFER by keeping both hands on the wheel instead of jamming a cell phone in my ear with one hand while changing the radio station with the other like you Base guys.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went with the non-tech package simply because I felt no need for all the extra tech stuff I will rarely use.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Photographer

Originally Posted by PANG_CO
I went with the non-tech package simply because I felt no need for all the extra tech stuff I will rarely use.
same here
Old 01-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

If you are gonna lease the car, what's the diff????

The higher residual combined with the minimal increase in cost spread out over the life of the lease will be less than $20 month IMHO.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
I went with the Base myself. I had the navi in my TSX and though it was helpful once in a while I used it more to keep an eye on the gas mileage. I don't need bluetooth and find the audio system in the base to be quite impressive in its own right especially with cd.

It looks quite similiar with or without navi system but I admit some of the displays available with Navi would be nice to have. The cost up here is approximately $4,000.00 more base/tech and on a lease $70.00/mth. Too much for me this time around with higher lease than my TSX, higher gas costs etc. Maybe next time.

Bottom line I got this vehicle for it's sh-awd, handling, versatility, power, not the extra toys. Base or tech the driving experience is great imo.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Navi

I agree the Navi is a cool toy/tool And it definitely worths the money if you need it a lot. For me, I have installed the GPS on my smartphone for almost two years as a tech toy, but honestly, I don't recall myself using it in town for more than 5 times. Maybe my drivings are mostly routine home to work. That's why I don't plan to spend too much money on another Navi especially the Canadian maps in most GPS do not have much details as US maps. But, the GPS is very useful while I was travelling out of town though.

Backup camera, I thought it was another cool gadget as well. In facts, it was one of the two features I wanted from the Tech in the beginning. But due to the issues we discussed on the other thread (Backup Camera). I am now ok to live without it. For those, "Base Guys" who really want it. You can consider this one from ebay. ($160 + installation) Pretty cool to have the back view shown on your rear mirror.

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-LCD-REARVIEW-R...QQcmdZViewItem

HFL, that's another one of the two features I like from the Tech. And I think it is the most useful car tools as most of us have cell phones now and it is dangerous to hold/dial the phone while driving. For those who are interested, you can get the Motolora IHF1000. It is less than $200+installation. This tiny little thing comes with voice recognition as well. You can search its review online.

For Stereo, I personally am satisfied with the base stereo. Not sure how much more can the additional 50W subwoofer can improve the audio experience.

Monthly payment: Tech vs Non Tech. Yes, if people break down everything by monthly payment, it really doesn't seem a lot. Like your big screen LCD TV, it might probably cost only $30/month. Your stainless steel fridge may be another $30/month. Your laptop could be $20/month. I guess for those people who usually purchase item on monthly payment, it might be always a easy decision for them as all monthly price tags sound so insignificant. And they can't really see the savings overall in the long run. Sorry too much number talking here already. I guess you guys got what I mean

Again, if you really the Navi, get the Tech for sure as the overall package really worths 3 grands. Just the compatible all in one Navi/bluetooth/backup camera head unit worth 2 grands.

Hope this helps those potential RDX buyers to make the decisions.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by acurardx
HFL, that's another one of the two features I like from the Tech. And I think it is the most useful car tools as most of us have cell phones now and it is dangerous to hold/dial the phone while driving. For those who are interested, you can get the Motolora IHF1000. It is less than $200+installation. This tiny little thing comes with voice recognition as well. You can search its review online.
I believe the Motorola IHF1000 doesn't come with voice recognition, it only supports voice recognition if your phone has it built in.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Originally Posted by acurardx
I....................Monthly payment: Tech vs Non Tech. Yes, if people break down everything by monthly payment, it really doesn't seem a lot. Like your big screen LCD TV, it might probably cost only $30/month. Your stainless steel fridge may be another $30/month. Your laptop could be $20/month. I guess for those people who usually purchase item on monthly payment, it might be always a easy decision for them as all monthly price tags sound so insignificant. And they can't really see the savings overall in the long run. Sorry too much number talking here already. I guess you guys got what I mean ...............
IMHO: If you are making payments on a TV or a fridge, you have some financial issues you need to reconsider.

However, a lease is primarilly based on price per month for most people. But, most people base their purchase (not lease) decsion based on the total cost of the car. Different scenarios. That's why I brought up the cost per month - because the OP said they were leasing. A lot less painful to get the tech on a lease vs. a purchase, especially if you are "streching" to get in the car in the first place..... Since a lease is technically "renting" the car - the overall cost is insignificant when you factor in the added residual value of the tech package at the end of the lease. I bet research would revel that a Tech RDX makes a better "leaser" than a non-tech RDX.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Pmt

Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
IMHO: If you are making payments on a TV or a fridge, you have some financial issues you need to reconsider.

However, a lease is primarilly based on price per month for most people. But, most people base their purchase (not lease) decsion based on the total cost of the car. Different scenarios. That's why I brought up the cost per month - because the OP said they were leasing. A lot less painful to get the tech on a lease vs. a purchase, especially if you are "streching" to get in the car in the first place..... Since a lease is technically "renting" the car - the overall cost is insignificant when you factor in the added residual value of the tech package at the end of the lease. I bet research would revel that a Tech RDX makes a better "leaser" than a non-tech RDX.
No, I don't. In facts, I make all my purchase cash deal including my RDX. I am just making those examples because lot of people would like to pay stuff by installation and they usually only look at the monthly cost. That's why lot of stores list item prices by both cash price or monthly payment.

Like the Acura salesman told me,those customers went in to lease a car, they usually only ask him how much does it cost per month and that's all they concern.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

Originally Posted by smjc_99
The rdx drive was very very good. Now with the tech package I need some Opinions

I have a portable nuvi for my other car.

The only thing I really want in the tech package is the upgraded audio if it is much much better over standard audio

Thanks
ive leased the Rdx non tech and if u have a portable GPS well dont need tech at least if u want to have the ELS surround sound system