Rdx Tech Package. See What's Not Standard...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
It was left out so they can add features over the next two years without incuring huge development costs. It costs a lot of money to come up with 'something new' to add every year. The easiest way to do this is to add things to the car that require no real development costs (like adding a power seat).

This frees up resources so they can develop the next TSX, TSX coupe, NSX, the rumored TSX based convertable, and the sub-NSX sportscar.
That is all fine but power seating shouldn't have too much development to it since the parts are in the parts bin at Honda.

The Auto dimming Mirror is there too. All they had to do is get it off of the TL, RL, TSX, or MDX. I'm sure there are some extra that could be made.

Auto light sensors are on the RL and MDX so it is a no brainer.

My list could go on and on.

I do understand the cost of adding stuff, but lets face it, if the RDX has all of the features of say a TSX then really want do they need to add next year? How about some new wheel options. Maybe they could add a wood package for those that may want it.

And who says they have to add something new every year. They haven't done much with the TL since it was introduced. After three years when the MMC comes then they can add some extra stuff like memory passanger seat, ventilated seating and auto wipers to name a few.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
That is all fine but power seating shouldn't have too much development to it since the parts are in the parts bin at Honda.

The Auto dimming Mirror is there too. All they had to do is get it off of the TL, RL, TSX, or MDX. I'm sure there are some extra that could be made.

Auto light sensors are on the RL and MDX so it is a no brainer.

My list could go on and on........

And who says they have to add something new every year. They haven't done much with the TL since it was introduced.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. The reasons you stated are exactly the reason the've been left off. It is because there is ZERO development costs for these items that they will be added later. This allows them to add items without having to spend money to develop something.

The TL is a pretty strong car in it's class, I'm sure if they saw sales dropping off, they'd have added a few "off the shelf" parts like auto wipers and headlights.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
It would be interesting to see that sub/NSX sports car with the RL's V6, just to gauge how strong it would motivate a RWD car. But at 60K, I suspect it will be V8 powered. I doubt even Acura could get away with a 6-cylinder in that price range.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Pro

Sorry I wasn't more clear. The reasons you stated are exactly the reason the've been left off. It is because there is ZERO development costs for these items that they will be added later. This allows them to add items without having to spend money to develop something.

The TL is a pretty strong car in it's class, I'm sure if they saw sales dropping off, they'd have added a few "off the shelf" parts like auto wipers and headlights.
I get what your saying. My biggest problem with Acura is that when I test drive a Lexus or a BMW for example, I see the things I could have assuming I want to pay for them. When looking at an IS 350 for 45k it had parking sensors, auto wipers, DVD audio/DVD video, ventilated seats, and other stuff. Granted it costs more the the TL but dang it, it has items that would be nice to have right off the bat.

Sure a RDX customer could wait a year or two but by the 3rd year or so the MMC happens and you have a slightly altered look, more power, and some new features you should have had from the get go.

I'd be happier if Acura played the performance card and for the MMC offered a performance model with more hp and added a slight bump in hp to the "lessor" model. Some of the new tech features offered on the RL could be added as a tech package or something.

I understand that it cost a lot of money to have different variations being built on the line but....

If Acura wants to be a luxury company it needs to understand that some of us like choices and the abilty to make a car "our own."
Old 04-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I understand that it cost a lot of money to have different variations being built on the line but....

If Acura wants to be a luxury company it needs to understand that some of us like choices and the abilty to make a car "our own."
Well I suppose it's just the "Honda way" Remember that retail sales is like a pyramid. There are few sales at the very pointy top. Acura's current philosophy is to play in the "meatier" upper third of the the pyramid. The rest is marketing. For example, to you really think the Element was supposed to sell to GenX? Of course not. They market it as such, knowing they real market is someone older who "fancies" himself as a GenX! Appeal to the customers vainty!
Old 04-19-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm a llama :(

Well I suppose it's just the "Honda way" Remember that retail sales is like a pyramid. There are few sales at the very pointy top. Acura's current philosophy is to play in the "meatier" upper third of the the pyramid. The rest is marketing. For example, to you really think the Element was supposed to sell to GenX? Of course not. They market it as such, knowing they real market is someone older who "fancies" himself as a GenX! Appeal to the customers vainty!
Oh god, I hate those people! Just hope I don't turn into one of them.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Pro

I figured the Element was not ment for GenX considering the price point it was at plus I started seeing drivers in their 40's and 50's with them.

Even Scion's Xb has buyers who seem out of the targeted demographic.

Yea, I can see Honda's way of doing things. At least Acura gives us a preview of new models unlike the Honda side of the company.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:04 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you think the chances Acura US picks up the CSX as a production car? I personally don't like it but with the way this thread is going I though I would throw it out there to see what you think..

other notes.. I remember reading honda was going to differentiate their two brands of caars by going green (hybrid) with Honda and Using their SH-AWD in the Acuras.. I believe the article said v6's , but with the introduction of the RDX with a four cylinder leads me to believe that 240hp 260 ft/lb SW-AWD package will find it's way into the new TSX..
Old 04-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom

What do you think the chances Acura US picks up the CSX as a production car? I personally don't like it but with the way this thread is going I though I would throw it out there to see what you think..

other notes.. I remember reading honda was going to differentiate their two brands of caars by going green (hybrid) with Honda and Using their SH-AWD in the Acuras.. I believe the article said v6's , but with the introduction of the RDX with a four cylinder leads me to believe that 240hp 260 ft/lb SW-AWD package will find it's way into the new TSX..
I personnaly see the CSX as point less. It looks too much like the Civic and thus would just confuse North American buyers.

Acura needs its own design and it seems it will be getting it.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:32 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personnaly see the CSX as point less. It looks too much like the Civic and thus would just confuse North American buyers.

Acura needs its own design and it seems it will be getting it.
Well I agree with you that it looks too much like civic, and I don't believe it has many if any options that are not available on the civic..

I remember one interview with a Lexus CEO/CFO/DICK something like that.. anyway he was discussing the new release of the IS300, (yes this was a few years ago) he stated that Lexus had made the IS300 simply to get avg. people to start looking at Lexus for their car choice. The interviewee went on to say that he has seen many many IS300's returned with in a few months so the driver could upgrade to another Lexus.. So the IS300 was made cheap and econo"ish" to bring people into the brand name.. Once they were there, they would tend to stay with the company.

Sorta seems like Acura was doing this with the CSX (formerly the Acura EL), make a cheap luxury car (barely better than it's Honda counterpart) So they could get people to sway into the Acura market.. after thay are into the brand, they typically tend to stay and upgrade to a car thay wouldn't have origionally seen themselves in.

Plus.... not to split hairs here, The EL and the CSX are offered in North America... They are Canadian cars... Not sure if they are offered anywhere else though.. But last time I checked Canada is in North America