RDX, Suburu, Lexus - Missed BOAT??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006 | 12:19 AM
Advanced

Unhappy RDX, Suburu, Lexus - Missed BOAT??

I originally joined Acurazine to participate in the TL/TSX forums - I was going to buy a sedan (and had decided on one of the two). However, after the test drives, I was undecided. And THEN, I saw the RDX. Somehow, we weren't looking at the sedans anymore.

We researched sedans to death, and afterwards, checked out some of the standards SUVs etc. BUT - given the fact that these RDX's are being bought up so quickly that the dealers can't seem to keep any in stock, we haven't had as much time to research our brains out on Acura's crossover.

Anyways, it was my original understanding that a crossover (I'm not into SUVs, but something smaller seemed fine) was a relatively new thing. I see now that Acura is not the only company with the concept.

I've seen the Mazda, the Rav, the Mirano, and the B3 - I don't think I like any of them as much. But what about the Subura Tribeca and the Lexus X350???? (the Lexus claims that it even has ultra low emissions).

Does anyone know anything about any of the vehicles above (especially the latter two)?? How would they compare to the RDX?? I hope I haven't missed the boat on some of these other vehicles.

Any responses would be great - and if you have pics of any of them to compare to the acura, that'd be great too!!

I was thinking of settling on the silver (though the red is gorgeous!!!) if I got an RDX. Gee - those Lexus and Suburus even offer my fav. colour - greeen!!!!!

Any replies would be awesome -
Old 09-11-2006 | 12:40 AM
Advanced

I didn't care for the Subaru...so it wasn't an option for me.

The Lexus seats don't fold flat...so you can't slide a large item into the back easily. I know an interior decorator who has one and she was actively looking for another car because of this very problem....when she tried to carry a large mirror or marble slab she ran into problems because the back wasn't flat.

For me it wasn't so critical...I just know I wanted a flat back end with the seats down.
Old 09-11-2006 | 12:46 AM
Smitty's Moral Police

The RX is also a size up, more like a MDX than a RDX. Crossover = car based, SUV = truck based. They've been around for a long time..but RDX is the first small size 'premium' CUV..for what that's worth.
Old 09-11-2006 | 01:13 AM
Racer

Tribeca vs RDX

I was actually considering the Tribeca myself in August but opted to hold out until the RDX to do a more direct comparison...

Tribeca
- butt ugly exterior (I've heard friends calling it "bland" at best)...I can't get past its "pig snout" grille
- really nice interior, again IMO (and won the award for "best interior" this year).
- based on the Outback platform..so it's guaranteed to be safe and reliable (especially in the winter)
- The engine picks up well enough but it feels like you're driving an SUV

RDX
- nice clean styling on the exterior. Some have said it doesn't stand out like the CX-7 or Tribeca....but I wouldn't want it to stand out like the Tribeca either.
- nice "sporty" interior. I'm leaning more to the "futuristic" look of the Tribeca...either way you can't lose here.
- rides and handles like my dad's X3 but not nearly as harsh.
- missing some of the "luxury" you'd expect from a luxury vehicle

I really do like Subaru cars (I'm actually debating between the 2007 Legacy GT vs. the base RDX...both around $41,000 CAN) but I find their designs a bit lacking. They're known for safety and reliability (dare I say, even more so than Honda?) and keeps you comfortable, even when driving through a snowstorm. Some friends swear by their Subarus...which tend to last for years into the double digits.

It's a shame I find the Tribeca such an eye-sore (and I was craving something a little more sporty and compact), otherwise I'd now have my own car rather than dreaming of one at 2am.
Old 09-11-2006 | 01:50 AM
Advanced

Awesome Replies

Wow - Anyone else??

Your replies were all so helpful...you know, I'm not keen on SUV's (I'm finding it wierd moving from a sedan to something else as well), so hearing that the X350 was more like an MDX made me think I should discard it.

I really, really don't like those lumbering, wasting SUVs - and besides, I'm old enough as it is - a large-style vehicle or SUV will make me feel really old (no offence out there - it's just a mid-life crisis I really want something that looks young, sporty and fast!!STill, it's got to have some class. And I don't want to drive anything that looks cheap or second rate.

I may take a look at the tribeca though (if it's not a larger SUV-type vehicle), though I'd agree that Suburus are not as great looking on the outside in general.

I'm wondering about depreciation too - Honda's and Toyota's really retain their value, but I know nothing about the Suburu brand (can't be as bad as a Ford though - right???)
Old 09-11-2006 | 12:41 PM
Advanced

Finally checked them OUT!!

Here's what I found out -

- yeah, you're right, despite the huge price tag on the lexus, the seats don't fold down as nicely as they do in the acura
- the "old-school" wood is standard on the lexus - gives the interior more of a traditional look. It's pretty conservative (if you like that thing - then it's good for you probably).
- Lexus has fantastic features, includes more stuff especially adjustable seats in the back as well as the front, and they recline for those nappers out there
- Lexus is a bigger, less rough and tough looking sort of vehicle than the RDX again, more conservative and refined on the outside too
- though they have more colour choices available than the Acura.
- major benefit is the driver memory (for two) - DOES THE ACURA have this??
- Does the Acura let you change the navigator's voice??
- Does the tech pkg on the RDX come with traffic updates, or is that the Lexus??

- I did check out the suburu - looks like the Tribeca belongs to the mid-size SUV market and so it's bigger all around
- the outside IS pretty different looking - not sure if I like that as much as the Acura - RDX has sharper lines, more detail on the body - the Subaru is plainer looking on the outside - it reminds me of a big murano
- the grill assembly is a little strange - light assembly is much better looking on the Acura giving the front and rear perception a better overall look
- that cockpit in the Suburu is an awful lot like the Acura but the silver touches are way-yyy cool!! I love the way the console looks, plus they've placed the stereo controls where they actually should be
- navigation system on the Subaru is more limited than the Acura's, but it does come with a DVD on the seven passenger (which I totally don't want).
- There's less storage space in the Subaru - even the glove box - it's tiny, plus you lose the extra little bits of space on the door for sunglasses etc., and the very huge, well layed out center console in the acura.
- They have a cargo space light in the Subaru - a great idea - does the RDX have this??

Pricing here is 51,500 (CDN) for the 5 seater Triberac (6 cyl engine but only 10 extra HP than the RDX) and 55,000 for the 7 seater, including the DVD (which I TOTALLY DO NOT WANT) - HP is the same in the 7 seater and the size of the vehicle does not change from the 5-seater.

I've got an RDX on hold right now for $53,000 CDN and that includes the tech pkg, plus the front spoiler, rear diffuser, side mouldings, a cooler, and a roof rack and none of that is included in the above Subaru prices.

So, what do you think you'll pick now??
Old 09-11-2006 | 06:24 PM
Instructor

Edmunds comparison

Here's a link where you can compare side by side. You can make changes to the vehicles being compared and select different trim levels.
Old 09-11-2006 | 06:37 PM
Instructor

Imho

I have had driven 2003 Sub Forrester over 110 kmiles before I totalled it. Although inside was deteriorating fast (mirrors popped out of the shades, pronounced wind noise), it has been free of mechanical problem and handling was the best. Re RX350, the reason I do not prefer this is because the soft suspension and the model is too old (too much wood grain and too plush) and too many of them on the road. Also many items are optional at heft price. I have driven RDX twice and made a deposit for white/taup/trch at MSRP. The inside was very clean and fresh looking. Driving impression is that of a sports sedan rather than SUV. The car felt as solid as it can be without any noticable wind noise and the pick up was fast with minimum lag. I have driven old TransAm turbo back in lat 70's and compared to that (it is not a fair but), it is light years ahead. As one steps on the accelerator, there is a nice, sweet sound of turbo spooling (at times, it was too noticeble) but then power comes on very strong and fast and before you know it, it reached 80 and it did not seems like it is under stress at all. When it comes to conering, I was on a cloverleaf and doing 60-70 and it did not even feel like it is cornering. The seats are very supportive without bing too cush and lateral support is also excellent. With ELS, sound filled up th cabin beautifully and the only way to describe it is "acoustic immersion". Can't you tell I amin love with this thing??
Old 09-12-2006 | 12:56 AM
Racer

don't do it dude

Originally Posted by mommy_barbie
Here's what I found out -

- yeah, you're right, despite the huge price tag on the lexus, the seats don't fold down as nicely as they do in the acura
- the "old-school" wood is standard on the lexus - gives the interior more of a traditional look. It's pretty conservative (if you like that thing - then it's good for you probably).
- Lexus has fantastic features, includes more stuff especially adjustable seats in the back as well as the front, and they recline for those nappers out there
- Lexus is a bigger, less rough and tough looking sort of vehicle than the RDX again, more conservative and refined on the outside too
- though they have more colour choices available than the Acura.
- major benefit is the driver memory (for two) - DOES THE ACURA have this??
- Does the Acura let you change the navigator's voice??
- Does the tech pkg on the RDX come with traffic updates, or is that the Lexus??

- I did check out the suburu - looks like the Tribeca belongs to the mid-size SUV market and so it's bigger all around
- the outside IS pretty different looking - not sure if I like that as much as the Acura - RDX has sharper lines, more detail on the body - the Subaru is plainer looking on the outside - it reminds me of a big murano
- the grill assembly is a little strange - light assembly is much better looking on the Acura giving the front and rear perception a better overall look
- that cockpit in the Suburu is an awful lot like the Acura but the silver touches are way-yyy cool!! I love the way the console looks, plus they've placed the stereo controls where they actually should be
- navigation system on the Subaru is more limited than the Acura's, but it does come with a DVD on the seven passenger (which I totally don't want).
- There's less storage space in the Subaru - even the glove box - it's tiny, plus you lose the extra little bits of space on the door for sunglasses etc., and the very huge, well layed out center console in the acura.
- They have a cargo space light in the Subaru - a great idea - does the RDX have this??

Pricing here is 51,500 (CDN) for the 5 seater Triberac (6 cyl engine but only 10 extra HP than the RDX) and 55,000 for the 7 seater, including the DVD (which I TOTALLY DO NOT WANT) - HP is the same in the 7 seater and the size of the vehicle does not change from the 5-seater.

I've got an RDX on hold right now for $53,000 CDN and that includes the tech pkg, plus the front spoiler, rear diffuser, side mouldings, a cooler, and a roof rack and none of that is included in the above Subaru prices.

So, what do you think you'll pick now??
Man, if you are serious about these 2 cars, then you ought to scoot to the USA and buy the Suby. Full warrenty applies in Canada, and in the states you can buy it cheap - it will not sell till it gets a new snout. Some dude from Quebec was on Edmunds describing how he saved 15ooo on a new tribeca purchased in the USA. At that price, it kills the rdx.