RDX sales seem to be gaining ground versus competition

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RDX sales seem to be gaining ground versus competition

Acura RDX sales are up about 10% this month.

CX-7 sales, despite heavy incentives, are down 25% from last year.

The last BMW sales report I saw (which I admit, was more than a month ago) reported that sales of all "Sport Activity Vehicles" were down over 30%.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:37 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the heavy incentives?

Please do tell.

The RDX has financing incentives"2.9% APR for 24 to 36 months and 4.9% APR for 37 to 60 months."

The CX-7 can be had for a little over or under invoice, right now for an 08.

"0.0% APR for up to 36 MONTHS (2) OR
3.9% APR for up to 48 MONTHS (3) OR
4.9% APR for up to 60 MONTHS (4) OR
5.9% APR for up to 72 MONTHS (5)"

The incentives are nearly the same.

You can the RDX for $500 under invoice now, wow can we say desparate.

The CX-7 is well close to hitting its mark of 40K units sold, it's at 35,285K units sold as of October the last I saw.

They just released 2008 CX-7's, so all that we're waiting to get their 2nd year CX-7, can now go get them.

The RDX is still lagging behind, with a measly 19K units sold.
Eat your heart out Acura.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Although I don't see what she wrote because she is on the IGNORE list, I am sure it is something priceless and pathetic. Please, get a life.

I highly suggest the ignore feature for the rest of you that have not tried it. There should be a dedicated icon just for her...you know, to make her feel special and needed. Something she obviously is missing in her day to day life..."click here to ignore troll"

Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
she posted some facts but no proof to back it up as usual.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by XIS
Although I don't see what she wrote because she is on the IGNORE list, I am sure it is something priceless and pathetic. Please, get a life.

I highly suggest the ignore feature for the rest of you that have not tried it. There should be a dedicated icon just for her...you know, to make her feel special and needed. Something she obviously is missing in her day to day life..."click here to ignore troll"

You're getting pretty redundant, and chick please, if you really wanted to IGNORE ME you would act as if I didn't exist, so much for feeding the troll you moron.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:01 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by mau108
she posted some facts but no proof to back it up as usual.
I don't need any proof, look it up.
You people are just too much.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:46 PM
User-approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newsflash, AP is getting nervous due to increasing awareness that she thrives on attention, any attention. Please continue to feed the troll because we need her around as an example, plus you have to admit she is sorta cute in her own way.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:02 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by BleuM&M
Newsflash, AP is getting nervous due to increasing awareness that she thrives on attention, any attention. Please continue to feed the troll because we need her around as an example, plus you have to admit she is sorta cute in her own way.
Newsflash.
You're sorta, ok really late.
19K units compared to 35K is hardly gaining ground.
They both have incentives.
Last year the CX-7 out sold this FUG 4 to 1, the RDX still can't touch the CX-7 in sales or overall appeal.
You chicks are so catty, I thrive on the cattyness, and just the general hypocrisy in this entire forum.
Clearly people like it better, for whatever reason they have.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Not an Ashtray

You guys know that if you tell the troll you are ignoring her, then she is still succeeding in getting attention from you, right?

Anyway, my original point still sands. X3 and CX-7 sales are way down. RDX sales are way up. That bodes well for the resale value of the RDX.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who cares about sales numbers? Civics, Camries and Foci would win that and I wouldn;t want any of those.

CX-7 sells more because it's cheaper and bigger. The RDX is nicer, faster and will hold it's value more. That is why after driving them both, I just couldn't settle for one (CX-7 that is).
Old 11-13-2007, 12:36 AM
B A N N E D

"Way down", get a clue buddy.
One month cannot account for sales that are "way down".
As much as the CX-7 sales are down, RDX sales are still way down below the CX-7's sales, even with first year discounts and incentives, which is not Acura norm.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:41 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by cwepruk
Who cares about sales numbers? Civics, Camries and Foci would win that and I wouldn;t want any of those.

CX-7 sells more because it's cheaper and bigger. The RDX is nicer, faster and will hold it's value more. That is why after driving them both, I just couldn't settle for one (CX-7 that is).
Nicer, subjective, faster, maybe, only time will tell if the RDX can hold its value, come back in two years and see if thats the same.
It sells more regardless of price, it has a much wider appeal.
The sales of the RDX fell flat due to pricing that is entirely too high.
37K is out of this world for a wagon that does nothing uniquely.
A majority of CX-7 sales are GT versions.
Sales for the RDX are only up 200 units from the last year, hardly "way up".
Old 11-13-2007, 12:42 AM
Not an Ashtray

Right now, the CX-7 and RDX are both heavily subsidized. If you go to Carsdirect.com you can configure some version of the CX-7 for $700 below invoice.

The RDX, too, is getting pushed out at low prices. The point however is that these heavy incentives are doing nothing for the sales of the Mazda, but the RDX has its third month in a row of increased sales.

From what I can see, the X3 does not feature similar incentives (despite being in a segment that is generally not doing well). I suspect that BMW is relying on their old trick of killer lease rates.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:58 AM
B A N N E D

Currently a totally decked out used CX-7 can be had for $28,000, losing about 5K off of what it was originally stickering for, with destination.
Currently a totally decked out used RDX can be had for $30,000, losing nearly 7K of what it was stickered for, with destination.
Like they always say, have Kelly write you the check.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
I recently had my RL in the shop to have some work done, no there is nothing wrong with it, just did some upgrades. Anyways,, while my car was being worked on they gave me a RDX, for about 4 hours. I kinda liked the car, I can see why you guys love your rides. Only complaint I really had was the power, but my gf really liked it. I know I am off topic here, but does the Mazda even come close in quality or power?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by plastikman
I recently had my RL in the shop to have some work done, no there is nothing wrong with it, just did some upgrades. Anyways,, while my car was being worked on they gave me a RDX, for about 4 hours. I kinda liked the car, I can see why you guys love your rides. Only complaint I really had was the power, but my gf really liked it. I know I am off topic here, but does the Mazda even come close in quality or power?
You're not really going to get a good answer here, you should test drive one and see for yourself.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 AM
Instructor

http://photos.aiada.org/newsroom/new...38&cmd=article

...Acura sold an October record of 6,130 light trucks, the division announced today. The previous record for the month of 5,233 was set in 2004. In just its second complete sales month, RDX models accounted for 1,701 units of Acura’s total sales. MDX posted 4,429 units sold during October, an increase of 6.4 percent over last year.

Mazda sold 6,403 trucks in October – a rise of 76.3 percent over the same month last year – thanks in large part to healthy sales of the CX-7 crossover SUV with registered sales of 4,272 units.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 AM
Instructor

^^ disregard the former post... pretty sure those were 2006 numbers...
Old 11-13-2007, 03:07 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by ACURascal
http://photos.aiada.org/newsroom/new...38&cmd=article

...Acura sold an October record of 6,130 light trucks, the division announced today. The previous record for the month of 5,233 was set in 2004. In just its second complete sales month, RDX models accounted for 1,701 units of Acura’s total sales. MDX posted 4,429 units sold during October, an increase of 6.4 percent over last year.

Mazda sold 6,403 trucks in October – a rise of 76.3 percent over the same month last year – thanks in large part to healthy sales of the CX-7 crossover SUV with registered sales of 4,272 units.
You do know this is from 06 right?
Yeah.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 AM
Instructor

Here are better numbers for 2007. Sorry for the false start.

Acura

October RDX sales of 1,937 units, up by 9.5 percent versus last October, tallied a third consecutive record month while MDX sales continued strong by surpassing October 2006 sales by 426 units. Year-to-date MDX volume reached 47,809 units, up 13.9 percent.

Mazda

The three-row, seven-passenger Mazda CX-9 crossover SUV, which was recently named 2008 Sport/Utility of the Year(TM) by Motor Trend, recorded its best-ever sales month with 3,145 units. This also marks the first time CX-9 has eclipsed the 3,000-unit mark in a single month. Mazda's two other crossover SUVs -- CX-7 and Tribute -- also posted strong sales of 3,280 and 1,516 units respectively. To date, Mazda has sold more than 66,000 crossover SUVs.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AbovePrime.
You do know this is from 06 right?
Yeah.
ummm.. yeah. I kinda already said that. But, you're graceless enough to try to capitalize... I keep forgetting how screwed up you are.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:20 AM
B A N N E D

Old 11-13-2007, 03:21 AM
B A N N E D

ummm.. yeah. I kinda already said that. But, you're graceless enough to try to capitalize... I keep forgetting how screwed up you are.
I typed that up before YOU replyed, but I got sidetracked and did not hit the submit button.
Kinda?
You did.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by AbovePrime.
Nicer, subjective, faster, maybe, [color=Black]
Based on pretty much every published test, it is significantly faster (beyond the range of error). As for value, I already get to see used CX-7 and RDX for sale and the RDX is holding it's value better. It's also most published subjective opinions that it is nicer (hence the many top finished in comparisons).

The CX-7 sells people on styling, utility and price. As for the CX-7, it still sells on a price point. You can get into a weel equipped base model for cheap. You can get a FWD GT quite a bit cheaper as well. I only think the AWD GT is cross shoppable myself and the CX-7 is still several K cheaper.

It's a good car, but the added performance and options matter to me. Bluetooth, memory seats, auto dimming mirror, homelink matter to me when I spend this kind of money. I went to the Mazda dealer about 6 times, rented a CX-7 for a week, priced it with most of the accesories and the Acura was worth the extra couple thousand to me and hopefully, I pick mine up tonight.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:31 AM
B A N N E D

It's been proven that it is only faster when you abuse it.
It's only topped two comparisons, maybe three.
Still lost to the X3
Bluetooth can be added on.
Homelink and and an Auto Dimming Mirror as well, I don't think the RDX even has homelink, I forget, correct me if I'm wrong.
It's still not worth the extra thousands of dollars, it gets pushed into a whole other arena of Cars, Wagons, and hot hatches, all with better interiors and much better performance.
The brakes are unbecoming of something this performance oriented and expensive.
There is way more you can do with extra thousands.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Based on pretty much every published test, it is significantly faster (beyond the range of error). As for value, I already get to see used CX-7 and RDX for sale and the RDX is holding it's value better. It's also most published subjective opinions that it is nicer (hence the many top finished in comparisons).

The CX-7 sells people on styling, utility and price. As for the CX-7, it still sells on a price point. You can get into a weel equipped base model for cheap. You can get a FWD GT quite a bit cheaper as well. I only think the AWD GT is cross shoppable myself and the CX-7 is still several K cheaper.

It's a good car, but the added performance and options matter to me. Bluetooth, memory seats, auto dimming mirror, homelink matter to me when I spend this kind of money. I went to the Mazda dealer about 6 times, rented a CX-7 for a week, priced it with most of the accesories and the Acura was worth the extra couple thousand to me and hopefully, I pick mine up tonight.

Good for you. I have to agree with you in virtually every subjective point that you make. I was in the 11th hour of a deal to buy a 2008 CX-7 Grand Touring. I had already convinced myself that the $16000 resale values I saw online for the 2007 were an artifact of an, as yet, unestablished appreciation for the crossover market. Then, I discovered the RDX, purely by accident.

As I've said before, about 30 seconds into my test drive of the RDX (after having driven the CX-7 no less than 4 times before,) any thought of buying the CX-7 had vanished from my mind -- with absolutely no dissonance whatsoever.

I remember being unhappy but reconciled to the inferiority of the CX-7's navigation system, VERY FLIMSY things inside the cabin, like the glove box, which I can only describe as having the feel of a vinyl shipping box liner, the interior finish which I (accidentally) scratched in a demo ride when I brushed my fingernail across it while gesturing...

Again, no such feelings at all when I drove the RDX. For all the attempts to suggest that the interior furnishings of the RDX are inferior in any way (too much plastic, etc.) that I've heard, the CX-7 is the benchmark for interior inferiority. The console is far from ergonomically designed, and the lighting scheme (which Mazda boasts is some sort of backlit LED setup) defies my eyes in daylight and night modes.

I was also prepared to add an aftermarket bluetooth to the CX-7 which would not have worked anywhere near as perfectly as the Hands-Free Link works in the RDX. I have nothing but good things to say about HFL. It is at least as good as the BMW system in my M3.

The CX-7's seats are not nearly as orthopedically comfortable to me. The RDX's seats have strong lateral torso support and EFFECTIVE lumbar support. I remember feeling more than a little left to my own devices in the CX-7s seats. This contrast was noticeable, as I'm accustomed to my BMW M3's seats, which are much more similar to the RDX design than the CX-7's seats were.

Then there are the little things like the cargo cover, which is far more integrated into the RDX design than in the CX-7. (The CX-7 has the "window shade" cargo cover design, while the RDX has an integrated hard cover for the cargo area which is removeable and can be stored on the floor of the cargo area.) Also, I could never get comfortable with the fact that the cargo floor was not at all flat when the rear seats were folded forward. There was a significant "ramp" formed by the rear seats when folded.

Also, as an aside, the CX-7 suggests that its one-hand rear seat release is a good thing, but the salesman who first showed me the CX-7 taught me diffferent. He did so when he "tripped" the one hand release of the rear seat, and it flew forward striking him in the nose. 30 minutes later, when his nose quit bleeding, he suggested that he should file a report about that experience with Mazda. I agree.

Finally, it is my conviction that the ELS 5.1 Audio in the RDX majorly outrocks the system in the CX-7 GT. Opinion, yes, but qualified.

All of this is anecdotal, and based on my personal experience. But, hopefully, it will be helpful for you.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Not an Ashtray

Here are better numbers for 2007. Sorry for the false start.

Acura

October RDX sales of 1,937 units, up by 9.5 percent versus last October, tallied a third consecutive record month while MDX sales continued strong by surpassing October 2006 sales by 426 units. Year-to-date MDX volume reached 47,809 units, up 13.9 percent.

Mazda

The three-row, seven-passenger Mazda CX-9 crossover SUV, which was recently named 2008 Sport/Utility of the Year(TM) by Motor Trend, recorded its best-ever sales month with 3,145 units. This also marks the first time CX-9 has eclipsed the 3,000-unit mark in a single month. Mazda's two other crossover SUVs -- CX-7 and Tribute -- also posted strong sales of 3,280 and 1,516 units respectively. To date, Mazda has sold more than 66,000 crossover SUVs.
I'd suggest that press releases from the MF might not be the best source for conclusions, because these are both spun pretty hard.

The RDX shows a 10% increase, but that is with significant incentives. RDX sales were quite bad until the car started to sell at near invoice. Of course, most of you guys got good deals so the resale value should be good relative to what most of you paid. So, that should make the RDX a relatively inexpensive proposition to own over time.

The CX-7 did sell about 3,000 last month - but this is a mass market vehicle that is available in an expensive FWD version. I was just riding my bike by enterprise rental the other day and they had three on the lot. In other words, that 3,000 is inflated by vehcile sales on which Mazda made little to no money. And, even that rate is down by about 1,000 CX-7s from this time last year. This model appears to be a sales failure for Mazda with a decline in sales of over 25% over last year.

My personal opinion about what is happening is that this segment is not really catching on. The inexpensive compact SUVs in the $25,000 range (like the RAV4, CRV, Rouge) seem to be doing great. But, buyers who are spending in the $30,000+ range appear to want larger vehicles. So, the RDX is quite obviously gaining ground against the competition but the entire market for this kind of vehicle is down.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Not an Ashtray

You realize the troll is, once again, starting to turn this into another yet another tedious CX-7 vs. RDX thread? Once again she is maintaining this ridiculous argument that all the published reports by MT, C & D, Edmunds, CR, CG, Motorweek, etc are wrong and the CX-7 handles better, goes faster, had less turbo lag, etc. She might as well be arguing that Al Gore is actually president because that is about on par in realism.

Fact: The RDX IS faster by a good margin, it DOES handle better, it DOES have less turbo lag, and it HAS a much nicer interior for only a little bit more $. This is all established reality, and if the troll wants to believe otherwise, than I suggest we let her engage whatever fantasies she needs to justify her purchase and just leave her be.

Could we PLEASE ignore her and focus on the RDX?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:46 AM
B A N N E D

The interior in the CX-7 is hands down much more easier to read and look at from a glance, the RDX on the other hand is a cluster f**k of buttons.

The interior on the US CX-7 uses a lot of plastic, but it's hardly inferior, and much more acceptable at that price, such heavy use of plastics at 37K, totally cheap and unacceptable, the only things that are NOT plastic, the seat fronts, the steering wheel rim and maybe the center arm rest, even the gear shift knob is made of something other than what it should be.

If you scratched interior plastics with your nails you seriously should look into a set of nail clippers(maybe a manicure).

I'm guessing the amber look in your BMW's annoyed you too, given that the Mazda scheme is orange red, they're not very far apart.

That hard cover thing, does nothing but suck up vertical storage space, you cannot retract it as you please, removing a hard plastic shelf(why would you need one, stuff would just shift around, also making things visible for thief's.) having to take it out, and put it down,(or however it works) rather than simply retracting the cover.
The retractable cover works and functions better.

HFL surely has its problems, its not flawless in any respect.

Why would you buy something you clearly did not like?
It makes Zero sense.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:52 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by darth62
You realize the troll is, once again, starting to turn this into another yet another tedious CX-7 vs. RDX thread? Once again she is maintaining this ridiculous argument that all the published reports by MT, C & D, Edmunds, CR, CG, Motorweek, etc are wrong and the CX-7 handles better, goes faster, had less turbo lag, etc. She might as well be arguing that Al Gore is actually president because that is about on par in realism.

Fact: The RDX IS faster by a good margin, it DOES handle better, it DOES have less turbo lag, and it HAS a much nicer interior for only a little bit more $. This is all established reality, and if the troll wants to believe otherwise, than I suggest we let her engage whatever fantasies she needs to justify her purchase and just leave her be.

Could we PLEASE ignore her and focus on the RDX?
I neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr said it was faster(they're the same), or that it handled better, stop putting words in my mouth. IT does however has less turbo lag, the RDX cannot make full boost anywhere near 2500RPM's.
It's also MUCH MUCH MUCH better in the braking department, like WAY ahead. If you cannot make an argument with facts go elsewhere with your B/S.
The interior is cheap(at 37 GRAND??! NOT A SINGLE PIECE OF REAL WOOD OR ALUMINUM? WTF??!). PERIOD.

Get your S**t together.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Pro

No, it's been proven faster in EVERY single magazine test. You are only pretending they all brake torque it, but none of the tests except for the Temple of VTEC Gtech tests have indicated that. Also, the 30-50/50-70 acceleration numbers are significantly stronger than the CX-7's.

Bluetooth added on? Not a factory accessory. I personally didn't want to spend money on installing a kit, having speakers bolted under the dash along with microphones.

Homelink is standard on the RDX as is an auto dimming mirror. And the brakes are just fine.
Seriously, where do you come up with this stuff? It brakes within a few feet of the CX-7 OMG, horrible!

I priced them out side by side. Adding a bunch of accessories from Mazda get's the price within 2k. Acura has better financing (in Canada) which negates that price difference.