RDX Pricing Officially Announced

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by POAS
Most states require registration in that state within a certain time period, but this is also rarely enforced.
That also depends on where you live. CA is particularly aggressive about this, since they collect quite a bit of revenue from car registrations. I know several people who've gotten tickets for not getting a CA plate soon enough after moving there. I think you'll find that states with high registrations costs (several hundred dollars) tend to be much more strict about this.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
This thread is about RDX Pricing.

It isn't about sales tax and how to beat it.

Neuronbob mentioned earlier that you should stay on topic.

Now I am repeating it. If you can't find your post, it's because it was deleted as OFF TOPIC.

POAS: Welcome to the forum. You're new, so we understand it takes a while to find your way around.

If you want to discuss those matters, start your own thread in the appropriate forum. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Pricing Alternative - Wait 15 to 20 months

Some one previously talked about waiting, but if you haven't followed the tale of the RL, a brief history of why waiting is good.

When the 2nd Gen RL came out there were complaints about the price versus the goodies but that's normal. However, there are also some major problems that took a year of TSBs to fix. Acura also gave significant dealer/marketing incentives both for the 2005 and 2006 model years (the 2006 $3000 incentive is still going on and has been for a couple months) to get rid of the excess inventory and few people thought there would be ANY excess inventory. The 2006 has few if any of the problems of the 2005 and is in effect, because of the incentive period, cheaper than the 2005, so, waiting CAN be good.

Yes, its fun to have something new and fun. I looked at the RDX too until a friend in Detroit at the Auto Show had a chnace to size it up and I decided I'd rather have the RL. But if its ANYTHING like the RL, it will have a year of bugs to work out and after thats done, incentives will make the price more agreeable (though no one can do much about the MPG )

Finally, if you HAVE to have the absolute greatest bargain price (no matter how much it costs you because some people will spend a dollar to save a dime) then next year in September or October make an internet deal with one of the multitude of Acura dealerships around Torrence, fly to Las Vegas ($70 via Southwest) and arrange to have the dealership deliver it there (since if you buy the car in CA no matter where you license it you have to pay CA sales tax, but if they deliver it outside of CA you don't). Spend a few fun filled days in Las Vegas trying to make enough gas money for your trip back home and enjoy your new toy. You WILL save a few thousand by buying it out of CA and you MIGHT even win money in Las Vegas.

Granted, my suggestion is not the easiest or best way, but for those who want what they want and have to pay as little as possible, it is "one" method.

To the Moderator. I am sorry about talking about sales tax, but I didn't want anyone thinkng that they could buy the car and be from out of state and not pay CA sales tax, but I did, using and verifying info from the State of California DMV, find how to order it in CA and pay only your own state sales tax and save a bushel of money legitimately. Hope that fits within your guidelines and still honors the scope of this thread.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Racer

This is about $3000 over priced.
My interest for RDX went from 100% to 10% in the last 2 weeks.
There is a good chance it might drop down to 0% once I test drive it.
I might not be speaking for the majority, but I think RDX is gonna tank.
It will just be on life support for a few years selling at invoice. (which makes it almost the right price)

I will probably look at it again when it's confirmed to be selling at invoice.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
What reasons can you give for stating that it is $3k overpriced?
Old 08-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Advanced

This sums it up...

From Acura email touting the recent reviews...

"It looks like an SUV and it's called an SUV, but it drives and functions pretty much like a premium four-door hatchback."
—Edmunds

$37,000 for a "premium hatchback"...?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
What reasons can you give for stating that it is $3k overpriced?
The amount of $$$ I'm willing to pay for the car of this quality?
It all sounded pretty good till the prices came out. But as I implied, I don't represent anyone but myself. That's how much I'm willing to pay for this car. Maybe everyone else is willing to pay 37k for it.
But of course, if my feeling is close to the general concensus, we should see it at close to the invoice in 3 months. That might be a good thing. That means I'll consider it again
Old 08-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1092
This sums it up...

From Acura email touting the recent reviews...

"It looks like an SUV and it's called an SUV, but it drives and functions pretty much like a premium four-door hatchback."
—Edmunds

$37,000 for a "premium hatchback"...?
Is your interpretation positive or negative? As I'm not one of the many Americans who crawls under a rock everytime someone utters "hatchback," I find it quite reasonable to charge $37,000 for a premium foor-door hatchback.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
If $37000 is too much for you, consider the base model at $32,000. If $32,000 base is still too much for you, wait 6 months and buy an RDX for $30,000 base and around $35,000 tech package once the dealers start to be open to negotiations. If this is too much, buy something else - just remember that you get what you pay for.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by hondamore
If $37000 is too much for you, consider the base model at $32,000. If $32,000 base is still too much for you, wait 6 months and buy an RDX for $30,000 base and around $35,000 tech package once the dealers start to be open to negotiations. If this is too much, buy something else - just remember that you get what you pay for.
Base model, IMO is 4k over priced, there is no reason for me to consider that even selling at invoice. I want to get what I pay for. That's the whole point, and it seems like you are missing that point. If RDX is built to be worth 37k in my opinion, I'd gladly pay 37k for it. It's it's built to be worth 47k, I'll pay 47k for it. It just isn't. Anyway, I'm beating a dead horse. It's a great car, I just think Honda priced it wrong. I'm off to find the next target.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FlyingPig
Base model, IMO is 4k over priced, there is no reason for me to consider that even selling at invoice. I want to get what I pay for. That's the whole point, and it seems like you are missing that point. If RDX is built to be worth 37k in my opinion, I'd gladly pay 37k for it. It's it's built to be worth 47k, I'll pay 47k for it. It just isn't. Anyway, I'm beating a dead horse. It's a great car, I just think Honda priced it wrong. I'm off to find the next target.
I'm still confused at your specific reasoning (probably because you haven't really given any specifics). Why do you feel it is overpriced? Do you feel the TL was overpriced? Do you feel the entire Acura line-up is overpriced? What were you expecting in an AWD, turbo-charged, soft-roader with an upscale interior?

It seems like people keep saying that they feel the RDX is overpriced, but no one really has stated specific reasoning as to why. You have to have a reason for feeling the way you do, especially with something as empirical as this.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well, I think it's overpriced as well, but only because I had a price "in my head" of between $28k-$32k of what I thought it should be.

That said, both my g/f and I will probably each buy one.

I personally have some sort of mental block when car prices break the $30k barrier.

When I was at the local Acura Dealership getting te oil changed in my RSX/S recently, I corraled a sales droid to ask him what he knew about the RDX. After lstening to his rant filled with "AWESOME" and "FANTASTIC", I asked him why I should buy the RDX instead of the CX-7 fully loaded for $5k less....his only answer?

Because it's an Acura.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lumpulus
Well, I think it's overpriced as well, but only because I had a price "in my head" of between $28k-$32k of what I thought it should be.

I personally have some sort of mental block when car prices break the $30k barrier.

When I was at the local Acura Dealership getting te oil changed in my RSX/S recently, I corraled a sales droid to ask him what he knew about the RDX. After lstening to his rant filled with "AWESOME" and "FANTASTIC", I asked him why I should buy the RDX instead of the CX-7 fully loaded for $5k less....his only answer?

Because it's an Acura.
sales droid...

Anyway, sales reps, unfortunately, are oftentimes the least informed. I really feel like Acura needs to step up the training of its sales reps because I, more often than not, walk into a showroom floor knowing way more than any of the sales reps working. Hell, there have been times when I am tempted to just start fielding other customer's questions.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Alpha Geek

sales droid...

because I, more often than not, walk into a showroom floor knowing way more than any of the sales reps working. Hell, there have been times when I am tempted to just start fielding other customer's questions.
LOL word!
Old 08-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Instructor

sales droid...

Anyway, sales reps, unfortunately, are oftentimes the least informed. I really feel like Acura needs to step up the training of its sales reps because I, more often than not, walk into a showroom floor knowing way more than any of the sales reps working. Hell, there have been times when I am tempted to just start fielding other customer's questions.
I think this is true for most sales people, actually. They don't care about what they're selling and therefore don't do any independent research. If you ask most sales people about a competing vehicle, they have little or nothing to say on the subject. . . as it is, they know so little about their own cars. So sure, training might help, but I think the real issue at hand is disinterest in the product.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lumpulus

Because it's an Acura.
I think that you hit the nail on the head. Many people had unrealistic expectations about the pricing of the RDX or they were just "dreaming" that it was going to come in less than $30K because they loved the look and the features yet their budgets would prefer inferior, less expensive models. Hey I wish I could get an NSX for $30,000 but alas it is not to be.
Honda has more experience in this stuff than any of us and I still believe that elevating the Acura brand name and NOT ONLY sales volume is the ultimate goal of their current pricing policy. If they are successful in elevating the brand name(and I will certainly acknowledge that it is a big "if"), the huge profits will come later when increased volumes are matched with large per-unit profit margins. For example, what if they put the V10 from the new NSX into the RL and tried to sell it for $80,000. There would still be a large number of people who wouldn't even consider it because they still consider it "just a Honda". If they take the time to elevate the brand image first, then that exact scenario becomes a possibility. Before they can sell true, high-end "luxury" vehicles (which I am convinced that they are more than capable of producing), they first have to get the general population to accept the Acura name as a luxury mark. Having people driving around in $50,000 RL's and MDX's and $40,000 RDX's and mentioning the price to their friends (when asked of course because Acura buyers are not the bragging type) will spread the word that Acura's are true luxury cars. When the same friends see the wealth of luxury features and first-class fit and finish of the Acura models, the Acura name is well on the way up the food chain. Then and only then will they produce models which truly compete with the Lexus LS and the Mercedes S-class because the public will be ready to pay for that next level of luxury with the A-shaped calipers insignia on the front.
Then again, I could be wrong and they are just milking loyal Honda buyers for all they can get on the RDX.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:29 AM
CJW
Advanced

I disagree and I think time will prove me right. In 6 months I predict Acura will offer either large rebates or "fantastic" lease deals. This is the right car at the wrong price.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:29 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CJW
I disagree and I think time will prove me right. In 6 months I predict Acura will offer either large rebates or "fantastic" lease deals. This is the right car at the wrong price.
Again, WHY?? Every keeps saying that, but no one seems to be willing to offer a compelling reason beyond "it's higher than I expected" even though multiple people pretty much predicted the pricing well before the official pricing was released.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:57 AM
wiz
Pro

I think the biggest thing is that they are coming out with a lot of goodies on the RDX, but it still lacks a lot of nice luxury items. There are a few I can think of right off the top of my head. If I was going to be $37k right now for the technology package, I would want the following on the RDX:

Power Passenger Seat
Auto-dimming rearview (included)
memory seats for driver side
roof rack
bi-xenon headlights (might not be possible though)
LED tail-lights
With a 4cyl, at least 21-26 MPG

This is just the quick list. I personally will probably not be buying the RDX right now, or probably not even an '07 model year. I will probably wait until the '08's come out to consider it since I'm sure they will not only add additional features from the above list but also add different color choices as the choices they have now are nothing to sneeze at. Of course I still have to drive the thing and see how it performs and how I actually fit into the car and if there is enough room in the back for a car seat (while I still sit comfortably in the front). I will be getting rid of my TSX in the next year, which Acura I replace it will will depend on how I like the RDX and how it fits me.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Honda buyers are amongst the most loyal on the planet and that is where the sales of the RDX will come from. There are hundreds of thousands of CRV drivers out there who may be looking to move up to the next level of luxury, but don't want or need an SUV as large as the MDX. This is the perfect car for them. Add the extra power and the sweet handling and former CRV owners will be in love enough to pay the price. Six to Ten years ago, the CRV was the only SUV that Honda made (no, the Passport doesn't count because it was a rebadged Isuzu) and loyal Honda buyers bought them in droves. These same owners have spent the past decade reaching the next phase of their life financially, they now possess much more disposable income and they have been waiting for the new RDX or the new MDX to replace their beloved CRV. They have the cash and are willing to pay for the next level of luxury and performance, but still want the comfort and reliability of driving a Honda product.
Secondly, there are legions of TSX and TL drivers who may now need the added versility of an SUV and yet still covet the luxury and performance of their sport sedan. They still enjoy "spirited" driving and thus want a more sporty, performance oriented option to the MDX.
These are the core of the RDX sales with units sold to previous or potential X3 buyers or customers "stolen" from other brands merely an added bonus. The very purpose of the Acura brand is to give loyal Honda buyers vehicles to purchase once they are looking for the next step in luxury as they advance in age and become more financially secure. Trade your Civic in for a TSX, trade your Accord in for a TL or RL, trade your CRV in for an RDX, trade your Pilot in for an MDX, trade your S2000 in for an NSX. You get the same familiar surroundings with all the controls logically set out very much like your old vehicle, but with the next level of luxury and features to make you that much more comfortable and the next level of performance to make your smile that much bigger.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:18 AM
CJW
Advanced

Again, I'd like a V6 or at least a 4 banger that ran on regular gas and delivered better MPG than the RDX. Look at Toyota's RAV -- even their V6, which is faster and stronger than the RDX turbo, runs on regular gas and gets better MPG. The RDX does have more luxury items but overall its just not enough car for the money. Sorry, but I'm not paying 38k for a 4 cyl. wagon, even if it is loaded with extras.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CJW
Again, I'd like a V6 or at least a 4 banger that ran on regular gas and delivered better MPG than the RDX. Look at Toyota's RAV -- even their V6, which is faster and stronger than the RDX turbo, runs on regular gas and gets better MPG. The RDX does have more luxury items but overall its just not enough car for the money. Sorry, but I'm not paying 38k for a 4 cyl. wagon, even if it is loaded with extras.
See, that's what I was looking for. So you have a stigma attached to it being a 4 cylinder and you don't want to pay for premium fuel. It sounds to me like a "luxury" brand is not the right choice for you. All luxury brands require premium fuel so no matter whose car you buy, you're going to end up with the same requirement.

Oh, and the V6 in the RAV4, in real world tests, apparently doesn't quite live up to its EPA numbers.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CJW
I'd like to put this regular gas thing to rest once and for all. Observe the following calculations and assumptions:

Approximate price, per gallon, of regular (87 octane) fuel: $3.00
Approximate price, per gallon, of premium (93 octane) fuel: $3.20

Percent increase in cost for premium versus regular fuel: 6.7%

Annual increase in cost to fuel an RDX with premium rather than regular gas (based on 20mpg average achieved, with 12,000 miles driven): $120

I have a hard time believing that anyone buying a $35,000 luxury car or SUV is unable to or unhappy about spending an extra 120 dollars per year to keep their car running. If gas were 50 cents a gallon and there were still a 20 cent discrepancy in fuel prices, all you complainers might be better justified, but our current situation just doesn't support your arguments.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the MDX is overpriced. Clearly, based on it's outstanding sales, I am not in the target market for this vehicle. Seems clear also that the people unhappy with the RDX price are also not in the target market. Even for me, premium fuel is a non-issue.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts

Oh, and the V6 in the RAV4, in real world tests, apparently doesn't quite live up to its EPA numbers.
This is why I can't wait to see the MY08 milage numbers on car stickers - then the printed numbers will get a little closer to reality.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:05 AM
otk
10th Gear

Originally Posted by hondamore
Honda buyers are amongst the most loyal on the planet and that is where the sales of the RDX will come from. There are hundreds of thousands of CRV drivers out there who may be looking to move up to the next level of luxury, but don't want or need an SUV as large as the MDX. This is the perfect car for them. Add the extra power and the sweet handling and former CRV owners will be in love enough to pay the price. Six to Ten years ago, the CRV was the only SUV that Honda made (no, the Passport doesn't count because it was a rebadged Isuzu) and loyal Honda buyers bought them in droves. These same owners have spent the past decade reaching the next phase of their life financially, they now possess much more disposable income and they have been waiting for the new RDX or the new MDX to replace their beloved CRV. They have the cash and are willing to pay for the next level of luxury and performance, but still want the comfort and reliability of driving a Honda product.
Secondly, there are legions of TSX and TL drivers who may now need the added versility of an SUV and yet still covet the luxury and performance of their sport sedan. They still enjoy "spirited" driving and thus want a more sporty, performance oriented option to the MDX.
These are the core of the RDX sales with units sold to previous or potential X3 buyers or customers "stolen" from other brands merely an added bonus. The very purpose of the Acura brand is to give loyal Honda buyers vehicles to purchase once they are looking for the next step in luxury as they advance in age and become more financially secure. Trade your Civic in for a TSX, trade your Accord in for a TL or RL, trade your CRV in for an RDX, trade your Pilot in for an MDX, trade your S2000 in for an NSX. You get the same familiar surroundings with all the controls logically set out very much like your old vehicle, but with the next level of luxury and features to make you that much more comfortable and the next level of performance to make your smile that much bigger.
You will be surprised to see the people who will buy the RDX. I am predicting that Baby boomers with loads of cash to spare will be the primary buyers of this car. Forget about the active urbanite crap that Acura profiled as the target. Those people want fast zippy rides they can push hard and keep the adrenaline flowing.

Granted I have not driven the RDX, I will be sold after I drive it given that I am as perfect a fit as what Acura expected to buy the car.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:25 AM
CJW
Advanced

A salesman asked me recently how much I could spend on a car. I said I could spend $50,000. No, I'm not going to spend that on a car, not when I can get what I want for a lot less. What I want is the best deal and the best value for my money. This is the reason I bought a 2006 TSX, but as for the RDX, well, getting less performance, lower MPG and paying more for is unacceptable. Want to stay rich? Always get the best bang for the buck. A few thousand here, a thousand there, pretty soon it adds up.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CJW
A salesman asked me recently how much I could spend on a car. I said I could spend $50,000. No, I'm not going to spend that on a car, not when I can get what I want for a lot less. What I want is the best deal and the best value for my money. This is the reason I bought a 2006 TSX, but as for the RDX, well, getting less performance, lower MPG and paying more for is unacceptable. Want to stay rich? Always get the best bang for the buck. A few thousand here, a thousand there, pretty soon it adds up.
Being able to spend, and being willing to spend are two very different things. It sounds to me like you're unwilling to spend, which is fine. Just don't presume that other people will think like you. Buying cars is often more than just a rational process.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CJW
You simply can't compare the mileage of the RDX to the TSX. The two vehicles are apples and oranges. The same with performance numbers - the RDX is a 4000 pound AWD sport utility vehicle. It is not going to accelerate like a TSX that is FWD and weighs 700 pounds less. Comparing pricing of the two is also a moot point, again because the RDX is AWD, an SUV, has many more luxury features etc etc.
Luxury vehicles are intended for those who either don't care about saving money or those who have spent a lifetime saving money and want to reward themselves with the better things in life. So, if the pricing of the RDX bothers you, buy something cheaper or simply wait 6 months and buy a tech package RDX for $34,000 and you get the deal that you want and the features that you want.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by 98AccordEx
Thanks.

Corrected Prices:

MSRP is as follows:

RDX - $32,995+615 = $33,610.00

RDX with Technology Package - $36,495 +615 = $37,110.00

p.s. I wish I was correcting the EPA mpg numbers up instead of the price.

thats pretty expensive but i know for sure that the RDX is a really nice car. But im happy with my car
Old 08-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Alpha Geek

FYI, the website is now updated with the price of all the options and accessories....

I have two Kayaks....Holy $h!t!!! I could get a trailer for the price of the Roof Rack and two Kayak attachments.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:56 AM
TSX6mt

Pricing RDX CANADA

I don't agree with you on Canadian pricing. Although it's odd they haven't announced pricing and on sale date in Canada, I think the base price will be around $39,500 to keep it competitive. Tech package we're probablly looking at around 43,500. If I had the money (4k out of my price bracket for base model), I'd definately consider it.