The RDX, Fuel Prices and Lower Octane

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
The RDX, Fuel Prices and Lower Octane

Although we can use lower than 91 octane in the RDX, the apparent savings at the pump may generate higher expenses later.

The lower octane, lower flash point fuel is still lit by the spark, but heat from rising compression causes it to explode in uneven pockets in the chamber, rather than the desired, smooth spreading, even burn. When the knock sensor detects this, the computer retards ignition -- lighting the spark later, when compression is stabilized -- to obtain a more even burn.

Honda sets the ignition timing in the RDX at 14 degrees before-top-dead-center (+/-2). Retarding the timing to account for low octane fuel, means the combustion event occurs later (12 or less degrees BTDC) The fuel mixture isn't done burning and less pressure is available to drive the piston down on the power stroke. Fuel economy suffers and there is a greater tendancy to foul the spark plugs. Also, more unburned fuel is likely to escape on the exhaust stroke, burning in and possibly damaging the catalytic converter.

It's easy to get confused with the terminology and sometimes we see convoluted terms such as "pre-detonation" which increases misunderstanding.

The link below is a good, straight-forward explanation of abnormal combustion.

Confusion and a lot of questions exist as to detonation and pre-ignition. Sometimes you hear mistaken terms like "pre-detonation". Detonation is one phenomenon that is abnormal combustion. Pre-ignition is another phenomenon that is abnormal combustion.
Detonation is the spontaneous combustion of the remaining fuel/air mixture in the chamber. It always occurs after normal combustion is initiated by the spark plug. The initial combustion at the spark plug is followed by a normal combustion burn.....The key point here is that detonation occurs after you have initiated the normal combustion with the spark plug.
Pre-ignition is defined as the ignition of the mixture prior to the spark plug firing. Anytime something causes the mixture in the chamber to ignite prior to the spark plug event it is classified as pre-ignition. The two are completely different and abnormal phenomenon.

Last edited by 737 Jock; 03-08-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
The title of this thread includes "Fuel Prices" yet you do not address this issue. In addition, what are the higher expenses?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think he means the possibility of higher expenses down the road, due to fouled plugs, damaged cat converter. Also, it's implied that by retarding the ignition, a complete burn isn't happening, therefore producing less power, therefore losing the economic advantage of buying cheaper (lower octane) fuel in the first place.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by YYC_BoxsterGuy
I think he means the possibility of higher expenses down the road, due to fouled plugs, damaged cat converter. Also, it's implied that by retarding the ignition, a complete burn isn't happening, therefore producing less power, therefore losing the economic advantage of buying cheaper (lower octane) fuel in the first place.
thanks I got it. He's great at offering advice, even if it is pre-dorktonation.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:27 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is funny b/c my Acura dealer told everyone at their open house that you can run 87 octane most of the time and throw in some premium once in a while.

I honestly rotate between 2-3 tanks of 89 and then a tank of 91-93. I average 2mpg over the advertised mileage and have no trouble with performance.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
91 octane and up! anything less would be deadly for the RDX.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jbillakdsm
I think this is funny b/c my Acura dealer told everyone at their open house that you can run 87 octane most of the time and throw in some premium once in a while.

I honestly rotate between 2-3 tanks of 89 and then a tank of 91-93. I average 2mpg over the advertised mileage and have no trouble with performance.
That's why you should have bought a CRV. Why buy the RDX if you are not prepared to pay for the proper gas.