RDX appeal

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:45 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDX appeal

How do I ask this... does the RDX seem to be kind of a 'girlie man' car in terms of how it looks? You know, kind of cute like a Mini Cooper? I just don't see guys eating a Manwich driving this car. What do you think?
Old 08-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish there was a manual trans available instead of the shifters. It would seem more manly to me if the RDX had that. Also a 6 cyl would have been better.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:12 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Just curious, at 37 do you have issues? Who gives a rats a*7 if it seems to be girlie if it works for you?

I wear pink dress shirts, regularly drive my red Honda DelSol, been married forever and have never been questioned about sexual orientation. I've heard friends say that the MDX is a girls SUV, damn, I have one of those too.

If you are really concerned, get an H2. Oh, wait, I know girls that drive those! What's a mans man to do?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:20 AM
Instructor

Cute? Well, I like how it looks. The back end takes a little getting used to but then again I like a nice well defined bumper and could do without the hatch lip. But I think it's a nice and aggressive looking SUV. I'm probably one of the youngest to buy one (if not the youngest).

Now...if girls like it, then great, I'll give any single girls a ride
If guys think it's girlie...um...lets race =)
Old 08-31-2006, 01:50 PM
6th Gear

You could always add the Acura Manly-Man Package (includes wheel spikes and shotgun rack), but then you're not allowed to ask the Nav system for directions...
Old 08-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Instructor

Exclamation Yeah right....

Originally Posted by ArthurKnight

............If guys think it's girlie...um...lets race =)
.....you can say that to sound good, but for your own good , don't really try doing that , especially if there is a RAV4 V6 next to you at a stoplight
Old 08-31-2006, 01:58 PM
Instructor

Exclamation Agree with you 100%....

Originally Posted by MR1
Just curious, at 37 do you have issues? Who gives a rats a*7 if it seems to be girlie if it works for you?

I wear pink dress shirts, regularly drive my red Honda DelSol, been married forever and have never been questioned about sexual orientation. I've heard friends say that the MDX is a girls SUV, damn, I have one of those too.

If you are really concerned, get an H2. Oh, wait, I know girls that drive those! What's a mans man to do?
.......personally, I think this "girlie man" stuff is for fools without brains, and for men who are not secure about their manhood (actually those are the ones that drive the H2s)
Old 08-31-2006, 02:13 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Hey a Mini Cooper is a chick car. So is a VW Cabriolet. If you're not 'man enough' to have an opinion that's your business.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vicpai
.....you can say that to sound good, but for your own good , don't really try doing that , especially if there is a RAV4 V6 next to you at a stoplight
It'd be close. Looks like the RAV4 is about 7.1 whereas the RDX is looking at about 7.4 so it's pretty tight and whoever can shift the most precisely and how well you can get a boost off the line in the RDX will determine who wins.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MR1

Wow man you sure did get offended for someone who isn't insecure...
Old 08-31-2006, 10:57 PM
rdxsteverino

Curves Matter

If guys think it's girlie...um...lets race =)
Originally Posted by vicpai
Throw a few curves in that race and RDX has the advantage.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:41 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Originally Posted by ISM Gray
Wow man you sure did get offended for someone who isn't insecure...
Not offended at all, not like that anyway

Just don't buy into that particular thought process about some things. It's a kind of prejudice imho. Like who cares? What would you say about women that purchase and drive and work on Corvettes? Again, who gives a rats ass?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:06 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

It is what it is. There are real reasons why certain types/groups of people buy similar things. Maybe why rednecks don't drive Saabs. I think it's demographics or something. If there's a statisically significant number out there that ain't 'prejudice' it is fact.

Originally Posted by MR1
Not offended at all, not like that anyway

Just don't buy into that particular thought process about some things. It's a kind of prejudice imho. Like who cares? What would you say about women that purchase and drive and work on Corvettes? Again, who gives a rats ass?
Old 09-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Advanced

I think of a vw cabrio as a chick car, but not a mini cooper. I guess it can also be kinda personal.

The Mini is small , can be supercharged. There is a guy in philly that mods BMWs and Minis only. For about 4k you can upgrade to a turbo and have 330 Hp reliably. Fun to drive and great for city parking. I guess when a car is more performance oriented, i don't think of it as a chick car. I guess we all have different factors that contribute to that judgement. I don't think my girlfriend will use the paddle shifters in the RDX, but who knows !
Old 09-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Exclamation Where Do You Get Your Numbers from??

It'd be close. Looks like the RAV4 is about 7.1 whereas the RDX is looking at about 7.4 so it's pretty tight and whoever can shift the most precisely and how well you can get a boost off the line in the RDX will determine who wins.
I'm not talking "looking like" or "looking at about" or anything else, but ACTUAL COLD HARD FACTS. See below:

RAV4 is 0-60 in 6.4 and RDX is 7.3 (almost a whole second quicker) - SOURCE MOTOR TREND OCTOBER 2006 It's a comparison test involving both the RAV and the RDX, which is the most ACCURATE, because they were both tested AT THE SAME TIME, UNDER THE SAME CONDITIONS, BY THE SAME MAGAZINE.

CAR AND DRIVER JANUARY 2006 got 6.3 secs for the RAV4 V6
Old 09-01-2006, 10:58 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Originally Posted by CL6
It is what it is. There are real reasons why certain types/groups of people buy similar things. Maybe why rednecks don't drive Saabs. I think it's demographics or something. If there's a statisically significant number out there that ain't 'prejudice' it is fact.

Truly it is what it is but who cares? I don't check the statistics or demographics of purchasers before I buy something that I want. I can make a decision without taking a poll. So, is the RDX a chick SUV? If the answer is yes, are you not going to buy one?
Old 09-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Suzuka Master

It aint macho, and I think the whole CUV market is aimed towards soccer moms... H2s are the stupidest frickin things in the world(H1s are where it's at).

If you are looking for a vehicle to be macho in get a truck or an american made full size SUV.

Mike
Old 09-02-2006, 02:12 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

The H1 is out of production now, yes? I'm not sure people want to drive the same type of car that gets blown up in Iraq on a daily basis. Plus they are so damn wide.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Suzuka Master

The H1 did drop off production this year, but if you go to a Hummer dealership they can find you one more or less "new."

I think driving the same vehicle that is capable of serving our armed forces in Iraq as well as almost any other thinkable condition is where the appeal comes in, not that it is destroyed by IEDs.

Finally, H1s aren't, or at least shouldn't be, for a "daily driver," at least not in the city(maybe in some rural areas with poor weather and roads). But rather for those who do do off roading or operate a business that tours certain areas. I'm sure there are some rappers who put 26 inche rims on them and cut the springs(who in turn should be locked up for destroying such a beautiful machine), but that is not the intention of the sale to public market.

However, MACHO cars I think are more and more trucks rather than even SUVS, as SUVs are getting prettier and prettier for the soccer moms. The RDX is by no means a "macho car," but its not something I would be embarassed to be seen in, like a pacifica

Mike
Old 09-03-2006, 11:47 AM
2nd Gear

Angry This isn't true either ...

Originally Posted by crazymjb
It aint macho, and I think the whole CUV market is aimed towards soccer moms... H2s are the stupidest frickin things in the world(H1s are where it's at).

If you are looking for a vehicle to be macho in get a truck or an american made full size SUV.

Mike
I only wish this were true but it's not. In my location (and I suspect most larger cities) american made full size SUVs are mainly driven by soccer moms or troffy wives.

-- jsm
Old 09-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Yea... I realized that and revised my statement in my last post... Macho is now Jeep wrangler or full size pick up. Some cars too can serve both.

Around here the soccer moms drive LXs, GXs, MLs, etc, there actually aren't many full size American SUVs around here. As I said... SUVs are becoming prettier and prettier for the "soccer moms"

For Example:
Old Durango:

New Durango(though we rented one, and for more or less city use they are very nice):

Mike
Old 09-03-2006, 01:08 PM
2nd Gear

Angry You're right about SUVs becoming "prettier" ....

But, in the 'burbs of Chicago, even for the old Durrango, I saw maybe 1 out of 20-30 being driven by men. In this area (other than actual pickups), there are no longer any "mens" SUVs; american, non-american, large, small or otherwise. (including H2s, H3s, etc).

Even for cars, the number seems to be dwindling. Yeah... maybe a VIPER or 911 or 'Vette, but not much that's really affordable by the average mortal guy.

Because of auto transmissions being available in just about everything now, cars have also been largely "feminized".

It's been a trend a don't like

-- jsm
Old 09-03-2006, 03:09 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Women prefer sitting higher up and they don't want the minivan 'image.' The SUV accomplishes this. But then the ride is too harsh so make it like a car. So all the 'trucks' are becoming less so.

The RDX is actually aimed at the DINKs of the world... Double Income No Kids. But I think all the gadgets are more geared towards men than women. Plus the turbo for more spirited driving.

I see the RDX being mainly for big city dwellers, mostly men in their 20s and 30s and without kids.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

I'd take a TL over an RDX... My dad said they same after driving this today. Its definatly fun, and my mom will love it when coming from her minican. You feel more or less high up(which she wants), its definatly nimble, and it has its toys(she needs nav because she travels around doing IEP meetings for work) as well as feels nice.

Mike
Old 09-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CL6
Hey a Mini Cooper is a chick car. So is a VW Cabriolet. If you're not 'man enough' to have an opinion that's your business.
Everyone I know that drives a Mini is a guy....as in male! Two of them race them. So I wouldn't assume it's a chick car.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Suzuka Master

No they're just :ghey:
Don't flame me. It was a joke but its still true

The Mini cooper may not be a "chick" car, but its not "masculine."

Mike
Old 09-10-2006, 09:43 PM
rdxsteverino

We're getting a little off topic but...

The Mini is a classic Rally car. Most Rally participants are guys, but not all. It may not be masculine like an F350 with gun racks in the rear but it certainly is sporty and handles well.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:30 AM
Instructor

Personally I'm starting to see Mustang GT Convertibles as chic cars simply because I see a lot of women driving them. But then again that's just me.