Random clunking noise from rear end.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 03:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random clunking noise from rear end.

Hi everyone, new RDX owner and first-time posting. I picked up an 07 RDX with 200k on the clock. I have gone through it and done a variety of major repairs. From exhaust to suspension to engine/turbo work. I am no stranger to troubleshooting noises, but I am facing something new here. When cruising at just about any speed over 20mph, I get a very random clunking noise. When I say random, I mean it will happen 3 times in 10 seconds and then be dead silent for 5 minutes or happen over and over again for many miles. I am 99% sure it is not suspension since I just replaced most of it, and it does not happen when going over bumps, turning, or any other time a suspension noise would happen. Increased speed does cause the noise to be louder. For the most part, it seems to be coming from the rear end, but sometimes sounds like it's more underneath me. I have tried everything I can think of to reproduce the noise to no avail. Here is my theory-

Drive shaft u-joints OR possibly broken teeth on t-case or rear diff. Unless someone who has seen this before can chime in, I will be planning on removing the drive shaft. I hope the sound disappears completely and I can then look into replacing the U-joints. Does anyone foresee any issues in doing that? speed sensor issues or traction control issues?

If it does not, then I may need to remove the rear diff to check for tooth damage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12-15-2023, 08:36 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After over a month of hearing this noise, it suddenly stopped....

I'm not sure if I should be happy or concerned... Anyways this is resolved.