Q5 Turbo Test

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Q5 Turbo Test

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Our Q5 was a lightly optioned example, and we didn’t really miss any of the high-end zooty stuff like navigation or the unnecessary Audi Drive Select chassis-adjustment system. The add-ons totaled just $1925, and included $475 paint, a $700 Bluetooth and HomeLink package, $450 heated front seats, and a $300 iPod interface. The as-tested price was an even $38,000.

211HP: The test sheet reveals that the four-cylinder is just 0.5 second behind the V-6 in the sprint to 60 mph and just 0.4 behind in the quarter-mile, at 7.0 and 15.5 seconds. (.85g on the skid)

The ride is firm, but never harsh—our kind of setup. The interior is a triumph of material selection, aesthetics, and build quality, and the front seats are supremely comfortable. Our only complaint is that the steering is a touch too slow just off center.

the eight-speed automatic transmission also is new to the Q5 for 2011. It’s the same basic box of gears found in the BMW 7-series, Rolls-Royce Ghost, and Audi A8 and A5, among others. It upshifts with a swiftness and confidence that reminds of Audi’s S tronic dual-clutch automatic, particularly with the throttle matted. Non-sequential up- or downshifts—even eight to two—can be executed manually,

...Waiting list at many dealers in new england.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Received 385 Likes on 234 Posts
Ok..... So your going to buy an Q5 ?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:16 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
he owns one.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Exclamation

???? How is this RDX related?

Last edited by Mr Marco; 01-19-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981

Our Q5 was a lightly optioned example, and we didn’t really miss any of the high-end zooty stuff like navigation or the unnecessary Audi Drive Select chassis-adjustment system. The add-ons totaled just $1925, and included $475 paint, a $700 Bluetooth and HomeLink package, $450 heated front seats, and a $300 iPod interface. The as-tested price was an even $38,000.

211HP: The test sheet reveals that the four-cylinder is just 0.5 second behind the V-6 in the sprint to 60 mph and just 0.4 behind in the quarter-mile, at 7.0 and 15.5 seconds. (.85g on the skid)

The ride is firm, but never harsh—our kind of setup. The interior is a triumph of material selection, aesthetics, and build quality, and the front seats are supremely comfortable. Our only complaint is that the steering is a touch too slow just off center.

the eight-speed automatic transmission also is new to the Q5 for 2011. It’s the same basic box of gears found in the BMW 7-series, Rolls-Royce Ghost, and Audi A8 and A5, among others. It upshifts with a swiftness and confidence that reminds of Audi’s S tronic dual-clutch automatic, particularly with the throttle matted. Non-sequential up- or downshifts—even eight to two—can be executed manually,

cool story bro, here is mine.

I bought my RDX on a april 17th, 2007. After long dealing with the sales rep i managed to get all options for free (got tech for free and sh-awd was standard). This included the following:

bluetooth connectivity
handfree control
excellent navigation system
450w 10 speaker Elliot Shiner sound system w/ipod con
cruise control
dual-climate control
heated leather seats
folding rears
lots of cargo space ie. center console for my laptop, dashboard, door side pockets
sport tuned suspensions
18" alloys w/michelin pilots

The 5AT is 4 years old but it still shifts instantly thanks to the sequential gearbox and is on par with most of today's 6AT. The suspension tunning is awsome and this car has very little body lean. Steering is sharp and precise but not light. You can feel and hear the turbo and this car fits me like a glove. This vehicle is also surprisingly good in rough terrain (sandy, muddy, snowy). because of the signature SH-AWD i did not buy snow tires and i live in Canada. The car is also insanely reliable, i have only spent money on regular maintainace. I am still running on stock tires and brakes!

i have somewhat modified the car:
Hondata ECU flash $300
K&N Air intake $170
custom performance exhaust $800

getting 300 horses almost and enjoying everybit! My favourite part about this car is its turbo i-vtec engine of course! Worth every penny of $43,175 CAD.

The 2010 Acura RDX's audible turbo whooshing sound is a pleasant departure from the standard six-cylinder soundtracks in this segment. Turbo lag is minimal, and power plentiful. The transmission's gearing is also well matched to the engine's power delivery.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pickler
cool story bro, here is mine.

I bought my RDX on a april 17th, 2007. After long dealing with the sales rep i managed to get all options for free (got tech for free and sh-awd was standard). This included the following:

bluetooth connectivity
handfree control
excellent navigation system
450w 10 speaker Elliot Shiner sound system w/ipod con
cruise control
dual-climate control
heated leather seats
folding rears
lots of cargo space ie. center console for my laptop, dashboard, door side pockets
sport tuned suspensions
18" alloys w/michelin pilots

The 5AT is 4 years old but it still shifts instantly thanks to the sequential gearbox and is on par with most of today's 6AT. The suspension tunning is awsome and this car has very little body lean. Steering is sharp and precise but not light. You can feel and hear the turbo and this car fits me like a glove. This vehicle is also surprisingly good in rough terrain (sandy, muddy, snowy). because of the signature SH-AWD i did not buy snow tires and i live in Canada. The car is also insanely reliable, i have only spent money on regular maintainace. I am still running on stock tires and brakes!

i have somewhat modified the car:
Hondata ECU flash $300
K&N Air intake $170
custom performance exhaust $800

getting 300 horses almost and enjoying everybit! My favourite part about this car is its turbo i-vtec engine of course! Worth every penny of $43,175 CAD.
Good one...what was your process for getting the mods done from Canada? I live in Ottawa.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
was the OP tryna make a comparison here? if so, pls edit and finish wat you started
Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Not sure why people keep comparing the Q5 and the RDX. Yes, the Q5 is a "better" and fancier car. But it also costs quite a bit more. It's kinda like someone buying an RDX and then complaining it doesn't have all the features of cars costing $20k more.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
correction, my exhaust is not magnaflow, its a custom made mandrel bent exhaust. The muffler is magnaflow. I ordered the k&n air filter and had my friend install it. The exhaust was made at a shop in north york, i forgot the name but their service wasnt that great. I had the muffler installed at canadian tire (big mistake). The ecu was ordered at Neetronics shop in toronto had to leave the car for weeks.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apologies for the thread hijack, but Pickler, you're running the K&N Typhoon, Reflash and Exhaust? If so, have you dyno'ed to see if the AFR is good? I'm wanting to this combo, but am a little reticent given the concerns from some on this forum...
Old 01-20-2011, 10:28 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by schen72
Not sure why people keep comparing the Q5 and the RDX. Yes, the Q5 is a "better" and fancier car. But it also costs quite a bit more. It's kinda like someone buying an RDX and then complaining it doesn't have all the features of cars costing $20k more.
the buy in price and turbo engine of the Audi makes sure as shit competition for the RDX, or at the least, stealing some RDX customers. you can move into a base Q5 for 36 and a base RDX for same. That my friend is direct competition. And you are right, it is fancier as well, but now we are starting with comparable money. (yea i know options makes it grow) but at car n drivers as tested price its one hell of a punch and package to this "middler" area the RDX has been enjoying since its release.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by MMike1981

sorry if this read weird, but its just quotes pulled from the mags review, not my reflections. There are a gazillion comparos or mini-comparos all over this site, so no i wasnt trying to make a comparo here, but just posting the link sharing info.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
DDDDude,
Sell your RDX and go polute an audi forum....
Old 01-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Q5 AWD system is shitty compared to the RDX, but this probably doesn't matter for the general consumer. What matters for me is the inability to switch the fugly wood inserts to aluminum on the 2.0T model.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Q5 front looks better than the RDX. The front end of the RDX was a compromise for me since there wasn't many available choices in this segment. Everything else is nice. I like the 2.0T more than our engine. Turbo lag not as noticeable.