Preventative Maintenance - Transmission Pressure Sensor Switches

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:40 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Preventative Maintenance - Transmission Pressure Sensor Switches

Hi all,

Been pretty busy and off the forum for a while but just wanted to post up about a positive experience replacing the pressure sensor switches on our RDX. This was actually fairly well known to the 3G TL group (I believe both vehicles have basically the same transmission); people were reporting rougher shifting between 45-60k miles and it turns out that they were linked to pressure sensor switches that regulate the shifting. These switches would eventually start to fail and it would lead to rougher shifts and in worse case scencarios lead to long term transmission failure...they were basically one of the only achilles heels to these drivetrains.

Anyway I noticed that my wife's car was starting to shift / downshift a little rough into 3rd gear. Most people probably wouldn't even notice it but we are car people so are pretty tuned in to how our vehicles are running. It reminded me of my old TL-S that I used to swap the switches out every 40-45k miles or so. Our RDX has 38k which I thought was a little early to have these switches start to fail but figured I would get ahead of it and swap them.

It took a few calls to dial in the right part numbers but here are the part numbers you want:

(2) 28600-R97-003 Acura SWITCH ASSY., AT OIL PRESSURE (you need 2 of these)
(1) 28610-R97-013 Acura SWITCH ASSY., AT OIL PRESSURE (you need just one of these)

I got mine from Bernardi parts for $35.32 each / $121.27 with shipping (which was significantly cheaper than what my local Acura dealer quoted me)

After all three switches were swapped there was a night and day difference in the shift quality and speed. No more bump shifts, runs like a champion. I also timed it with our oil change and switched over to Pennzoil Platinum instead of M1 and the engine feels noticeably more happy as well.

So if anyone is having any odd shifting issues, or just wants to help avoid the inevitable I would highly recommend swapping these switches out at the longer maintenance intervals. It's hard to say exactly how often you will need it and it is not a recommended service by Acura / Honda but it's one of those things that seems inevitable to fail and is cheap insurance vs. buying a new transmission
Old 11-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 245 Likes on 214 Posts
Did you switch these out yourself? If so, how difficult was it? If not, what did you pay in labor?

Also, don't underestimate the benefit of getting the regular transmission service. The shop by me only charges 68 bucks for the normal drail/fill service, and even though it's just 1/3 of the fluid, it also makes a noticeable difference is how smoothly the transmission shifts.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:57 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Did you switch these out yourself? If so, how difficult was it? If not, what did you pay in labor?

Also, don't underestimate the benefit of getting the regular transmission service. The shop by me only charges 68 bucks for the normal drail/fill service, and even though it's just 1/3 of the fluid, it also makes a noticeable difference is how smoothly the transmission shifts.
I did not, although I have heard that two of them are pretty easy and the third one is not...it's a bit more involved to get to. I dug up the invoice and it looks like they also needed to use a $5.08 gasket (90471-PW7-A00), total parts and labor was $207.58.

I'm definitely all for a fluid drain/fill, I don't see why we couldn't get 250k-300k out of these transmissions with regular care.