PIAA wiper blade size for RDX ? help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 07:42 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
PIAA wiper blade size for RDX ? help!

Stock wipers are already streaking and crappy--
I am interested in purchasing the super silicone wipers for the RDX---I cant seem to locate the exact size needed (it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer)..does anyone know the compatible size and a good place to buy them ?
Old 07-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
I am interested in purchasing the super silicone wipers for the RDX---I cant seem to locate the exact size needed (it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer)..does anyone know the compatible size and a good place to buy them ?
The driver side is 26". The passenger side is 16". Acura uses a common 7X9mm J-hook attachment. Most aftermarket wipers come with adapters to accomodate all common attachments (J-hooks, pins, etc).

However, the best material for wiper performance is natural rubber, although it wears out quicker. Silicon blended wiper blades are more durable, but are harder and tend to streak/smear more.

PIAA claims that Super Silicon is best because it continually coats the glass with silicon, but I wonder if the silicon transfer lasts very long????

You can buy Super Silicon in 26" and 16" at: http://www.autobarn.net/pisupsilwipb1.html
Old 07-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
The driver side is 26". The passenger side is 16". Acura uses a common 7X9mm J-hook attachment. Most aftermarket wipers come with adapters to accomodate all common attachments (J-hooks, pins, etc).

However, the best material for wiper performance is natural rubber, although it wears out quicker. Silicon blended wiper blades are more durable, but are harder and tend to streak/smear more.

PIAA claims that Super Silicon is best because it continually coats the glass with silicon, but I wonder if the silicon transfer lasts very long????

You can buy Super Silicon in 26" and 16" at: http://www.autobarn.net/pisupsilwipb1.html
Super Silicon blades crush regular rubber blades in every way but price. They work better, streak less, are quieter and last four or five times as long. So they are really better in price in dollars per unit time. Until something better comes out, I will use nothing but the PIAA blades.

One our Subarus the PIAA blades last about two years.

It was wierd the first time it rained with the new RDX with the stock blades. Relative to the PIAA they basically don't work at all. I borrowed some rainex from a friend to help me get through the summer with the OEM blades. This fall PIAA blades are going on.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
Super Silicon blades crush regular rubber blades in every way but price. They work better, streak less, are quieter and last four or five times as long. So they are really better in price in dollars per unit time. Until something better comes out, I will use nothing but the PIAA blades..
All right then -- I'm going to try them on my GTI tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
Super Silicon blades crush regular rubber blades in every way but price. They work better, streak less, are quieter and last four or five times as long. So they are really better in price in dollars per unit time. Until something better comes out, I will use nothing but the PIAA blades.

One our Subarus the PIAA blades last about two years.

It was wierd the first time it rained with the new RDX with the stock blades. Relative to the PIAA they basically don't work at all. I borrowed some rainex from a friend to help me get through the summer with the OEM blades. This fall PIAA blades are going on.
Ditto this... I've been putting PIAA blades on my vehicles for awhile now and there is a noticeable difference and the increase in price is well justified given the effectiveness and life duration of the blade.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
My original wiper blades were "streaking and crappy" too after about 3000 miles or so. When I took my RDX in for the first servicing at about 6000 miles, I told them how bad they were and that they didn't last very long, and they replaced them for free. I now have 17500 miles and the wipers are doing great still. If I have to replace them on my own I'll probably opt for the PIAAs...
Old 07-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anybody with PIAAs know if the "PIAA" lettering on the blade arm is removeable? I'm not a scare sticker / rice racer kind of guy and can do without the obnoxious PIAA advertisement.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:35 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacer
Anybody with PIAAs know if the "PIAA" lettering on the blade arm is removeable? I'm not a scare sticker / rice racer kind of guy and can do without the obnoxious PIAA advertisement.
Weird...I put PIAA blades on my TL last time and they didn't have any obnoxious markings on them at all - just small, PIAA etched lettering in the arm itself. I looked online at their website and now see the lettering you're talking about. Perhaps this is a new thing? Or perhaps my PIAA blades are knockoffs?

Who knows...

Love the blades though!!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

Good info to have, thanks, Tripp. Maybe it's a new thing. It wouldn't be as bad if it said PIAA in only one place on each arm, but it's on each side of each arm in that pic on their site. Bizarro.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacer
Good info to have, thanks, Tripp. Maybe it's a new thing. It wouldn't be as bad if it said PIAA in only one place on each arm, but it's on each side of each arm in that pic on their site. Bizarro.
Pacer - As a quick fix why don't you just take a black permanent marker and color them in. It'll still have the PIAA but won't be as noticeable. It might wear off after a while but then just re-color it.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Good thought, phoward. That, or some paint remover applied to the PIAA lettering might work.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do PIAA blades compare to Bosch Icon? Price is about the same. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:02 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
my first pair of blades from acura lasted 11 mo, 21k mi. i guess i got a good set.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to confirm the size....

The PIAA web site for the 2007 RDX indicates 24" for the driver and 19" for the passenger side. Autobarn.net doesn't show the RDX on their Wiper Blade Application Guide.

Could someone confirm for me before I order. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Cruisin'

Hey just a warning for everyone - autobarn.net is a terrible company to deal with (even their retail stores in NY). I have had more than my share of experiences with them. Do yourself a favor and buy somewhere else. If anyone wants to know more, please feel free to PM me, and I will share all of my experiences. I am sure there are plenty of other places that sell these. Again, I can not stress enough how bad these people are.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Teledatageek
I wanted to confirm the size....

The PIAA web site for the 2007 RDX indicates 24" for the driver and 19" for the passenger side. Autobarn.net doesn't show the RDX on their Wiper Blade Application Guide.

Could someone confirm for me before I order. Thanks!
OK, so I called PIAA directly and was told that you need 24" for drivers side (Part number 95060) and 20" for passenger side (Part number 95050)
Old 11-26-2007, 05:16 PM
User-approved

When in doubt, whip it out

...the tape measure, that is. I confirm the numbers below. Using any other than those sizes will risk clearance and/or wipe area issues. I have long been a fan of Bosch Icons. They have fit my Hondas/Acuras without need of adapters.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BleuM&M
...the tape measure, that is. I confirm the numbers below. Using any other than those sizes will risk clearance and/or wipe area issues. I have long been a fan of Bosch Icons. They have fit my Hondas/Acuras without need of adapters.
You are correct. Amazing how the PIAA person and website are wrong. The drivers wiper is 650mm (26") (PIAA part: 95065) and the passenger is 400mm (16") (PIAA part: 95040). I chatted with the Acura parts department to confirm the length of the blades and then with the local PIAA dealer.

So, I get them tomorrow!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Teledatageek
You are correct. Amazing how the PIAA person and website are wrong. The drivers wiper is 650mm (26") (PIAA part: 95065) and the passenger is 400mm (16") (PIAA part: 95040). I chatted with the Acura parts department to confirm the length of the blades and then with the local PIAA dealer.

So, I get them tomorrow!
Do you buy straight or curved? Do you have to buy the whole arms or just the replacement blades themselves?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:57 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I didn't see the need to start a new thread to talk about PIAA wipers.
Anyway, I just bought PIAA Forza Hybrid silicone wipers and they are simply the best wipers I've ever tried in my 20 years of drving, I bought them for my wife's PT cruiser (soon to get me an RDX)
I tried all those flat blade desings and they all suck, the don't put pressure at the tips and have that fugly bulge in the middle where it hooks up which results in a height of 1.5", compared to the stealth of the PIAA where the J hook disappears inside the cover of the wiper and is only 1" high now, much lower, very sleek and looks great, and are very quiet.
I didn't use the included windshield treatment sheets, since I already had Rain-X on all the glass.
I bought them at tirerack.com for $30 each (20" for the PT), not cheap, but the refill are only $9, so you don't need to spend a fortune when replacing them.
Reason I searched for PIAA info here is because it says on tirerack.com that the RDX need 26" driver side and 16" pass side, I thought it was a mistake, but it seems correct, so my questions are: why such a huge difference in size? Doesn't it leave 1/3 of the windshield unwiped on the pass side?

Last edited by Joe Las Vegas; 08-31-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
How is the Piaa compare to Rain X?
Old 08-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JCRDX11
How is the Piaa compare to Rain X?
PIAA is the wiper brand, Rain-X is the stuff you apply on the glass to make the water bead.
If you're talking about the the sheets that came with the wipers to use on the windshield, like I said, I didn't use it, but I suspect it's no different than Rain-X.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
PIAA is the wiper brand, Rain-X is the stuff you apply on the glass to make the water bead.
If you're talking about the the sheets that came with the wipers to use on the windshield, like I said, I didn't use it, but I suspect it's no different than Rain-X.
Umm - I was referring to Rain X wiper blades -

http://www.rainx.com/Products/Wiper_Blades/repel.aspx

My friend had Piaa wipers and swears by it.
Just looking into more options and reviews.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Pro

Can anyone enlighten me in regards to my original questions in post # 20?:

"Reason I searched for PIAA info here is because it says on tirerack.com that the RDX need 26" driver side and 16" pass side, I thought it was a mistake, but it seems correct, so my questions are: why such a huge difference in size? Doesn't it leave 1/3 of the windshield unwiped on the pass side?"
Old 09-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I didn't see the need to start a new thread to talk about PIAA wipers.
Anyway, I just bought PIAA Forza Hybrid silicone wipers and they are simply the best wipers I've ever tried in my 20 years of drving, I bought them for my wife's PT cruiser (soon to get me an RDX)
I tried all those flat blade desings and they all suck, the don't put pressure at the tips and have that fugly bulge in the middle where it hooks up which results in a height of 1.5", compared to the stealth of the PIAA where the J hook disappears inside the cover of the wiper and is only 1" high now, much lower, very sleek and looks great, and are very quiet.
I didn't use the included windshield treatment sheets, since I already had Rain-X on all the glass.
I bought them at tirerack.com for $30 each (20" for the PT), not cheap, but the refill are only $9, so you don't need to spend a fortune when replacing them.
Reason I searched for PIAA info here is because it says on tirerack.com that the RDX need 26" driver side and 16" pass side, I thought it was a mistake, but it seems correct, so my questions are: why such a huge difference in size? Doesn't it leave 1/3 of the windshield unwiped on the pass side?
Narrow width of the window dictates that the 2nd blade length must be only 16"(otherwise it wouldn't fit), and since there is no right-hand-drive version of the RDX there is no need for a different design(note the Civic design). Chances are you have never needed to look out of the top right hand side of the window in the rain. A wider window would accomodate a longer blade which would reach higher on the windshield like my TL (19" passenger side).

Almost 20 years ago I haggled and came within $1,500 of buying a E-class Mercedes with a unique wiper system that Mercedes-Benz pioneered called the Monoblade. They patented a wiper system based on cantilevers, in which a single arm extends outward and reaches the top corners of the windsheild, and pulls in at the ends and middle of the stroke, sweeping out in a 'M'-shaped path. Their design(also used by Subaru on the XT), allows that single blade to cover more of the windshield, and it also keeps streaks away from the center.

Check out this video: http://youtu.be/57e-Em8hOOw

Last edited by Mr Marco; 09-01-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Pro

Talking

Originally Posted by JCRDX11
Umm - I was referring to Rain X wiper blades -

http://www.rainx.com/Products/Wiper_Blades/repel.aspx

My friend had Piaa wipers and swears by it.
Just looking into more options and reviews.
My bad! I tried them all over the years, rainx is no better than bosh or any other, I don't like regular wipers, everytime you spray to clean, fluid always goes thru the gaps when you drive, and all those low design blades don't apply pressure equally and have that ugly bulging clip in the middle, PIAA hybrid is the best of both wprlds, regular design inside a casing that looks sharp and the J hook disappears inside so it's very sleek.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Narrow width of the window dictates that the 2nd blade length must be only 16"(otherwise it wouldn't fit), and since there is no right-hand-drive version of the RDX there is no need for a different design(note the Civic design). Chances are you have never needed to look out of the top right hand side of the window in the rain. A wider window would accomodate a longer blade which would reach higher on the windshield like my TL (19" passenger side).

Almost 20 years ago I haggled and came within $1,500 of buying a E-class Mercedes with a unique wiper system that Mercedes-Benz pioneered called the Monoblade. They patented a wiper system based on cantilevers, in which a single arm extends outward and reaches the top corners of the windsheild, and pulls in at the ends and middle of the stroke, sweeping out in a 'M'-shaped path. Their design(also used by Subaru on the XT), allows that single blade to cover more of the windshield, and it also keeps streaks away from the center.

Check out this video: http://youtu.be/57e-Em8hOOw
I know about that MB design, I just thought they, at Acura design, would have done a better job a designing the wipers, 26" vs. 16", wth!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:13 AM
Pro

I used the windshield treatment sheets that came with the wipers and it's the same as Rain-x.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Pro

My bad! I tried them all over the years, rainx is no better than bosh or any other, I don't like regular wipers, everytime you spray to clean, fluid always goes thru the gaps when you drive, and all those low design blades don't apply pressure equally and have that ugly bulging clip in the middle, PIAA hybrid is the best of both wprlds, regular design inside a casing that looks sharp and the J hook disappears inside so it's very sleek.
Np bud, I just think the stock wiper sucks badly.
Looking for different options out there.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Pro

I just saw and RDX in person and saw the wipers, huge difference in size between the two, the big one is on the driver so I guess it's not much of an issue, but still, 10" discrepancy, WTH!
I also noticed they are those low profile design, I wonder what brand they are and if there are any good, opinions!
Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
sorry for late response but here is my experience with wipers on my cars. for the rdx i have tried many different ones. i have used PIAA silicone, rain-x, oem, reflex wipers...you name it. I was unsatisfied with all those wipers because after couple months of use they would smear/streak and squeak. I was specially pissed off about the PIAA ones which i bought for hefty price. They were probably the worst wipers in winter. I was very frustrated, considering the winter here there is crap load of road salt and all that along with road grime and salts keeps splashing against my screen and crappy wipers don't clear the view! I decided i had enough with the PIAA and replaced it with ultimate-x wipers from walmart! they are made in korea and about $20 so i was like what the hell. Bellieve it or not they were the best wipers i ever had. no streaks, perfect wipe. it has been 6 months and they are still like new. i cannot bellieve that the best wipers were sold at walmart haha.

also avoid rain-x washer fluids, treatments etc. they leave a film of grease on your windshield that cause streaking and fogging. Use good old cheap washer fluid.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Pro

I'll check the ultimate-x at Walmart, regarding windshield washer, a normal blue washer is fine, but Rain-x treatment on all windows is great, it leaves a film and that's how it beads water, like wax on paint, to get your windows clear you need a microfiber cloth to get that foggy film off, if you use paper towel to finish it off it will leave that foggy residue you speak off, treat it like wax and the end result will be awesome.
Also, regarding all your blades going bad after a short time, no matter what you use, road salt will chew up rubber, no matter what brand they are.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
I'll check the ultimate-x at Walmart, regarding windshield washer, a normal blue washer is fine, but Rain-x treatment on all windows is great, it leaves a film and that's how it beads water, like wax on paint, to get your windows clear you need a microfiber cloth to get that foggy film off, if you use paper towel to finish it off it will leave that foggy residue you speak off, treat it like wax and the end result will be awesome.
Also, regarding all your blades going bad after a short time, no matter what you use, road salt will chew up rubber, no matter what brand they are.
well the ultimate-x been going strong for 6 months now, 3-4 months longer than anything else i tried. i despise rain-x fluids, they are ok in summer but in winter the film is absorbed by the wiper blades which causes them to streak by going over residue on the windshield rather than wiping them. my
Old 09-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by pickler
well the ultimate-x been going strong for 6 months now, 3-4 months longer than anything else i tried. i despise rain-x fluids, they are ok in summer but in winter the film is absorbed by the wiper blades which causes them to streak by going over residue on the windshield rather than wiping them. my
I went to walmart and didn't see the "ultimate-x" wipers you mentioned, I never heard of that brand and never saw them at Walmart, perhaps it's not available in the US.
Anyway, PIAA is what I'll stick to, I'll buy refills when they go bad, and I'll use Rain-x on all the glass, as I have done for the past 15 years, when I get my RDX.