P0741 Transmission Code

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 10:20 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0741 Transmission Code

Hi All,

I have an 07 RDX that is throwing a P0741 Torque converter code. I have changed the fluid (Drain/Refill). I did a complete flush a year ago (drain/refill/drive 3 times). I have tested all the solenoids and they all seem to be working as should be. I was about to write it off as torque convertor clutches worn and decided to try to drive it in "Sport Mode" using the paddle shifters. So far, it will not throw the code if I manually shift it. Does this help narrow anything down? Does the torque convertor not lock out in sport mode? Any thoughts?
Old 08-04-2023, 07:41 AM
6th Gear

Bump ....
Old 08-07-2023, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Hope it is not a stupid question but you did clear all codes after right? What does the freeze frame data tell you (ie at what speeds is the permanent code thrown, what rpm, and other data).

Are you using OEM fluid or something slightly different? What km's.

Old 08-07-2023, 03:50 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by yanga001
Hope it is not a stupid question but you did clear all codes after right? What does the freeze frame data tell you (ie at what speeds is the permanent code thrown, what rpm, and other data).

Are you using OEM fluid or something slightly different? What km's.
Hi Yang,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I cleared the codes, comes right back. I will get more detailed speed and rpm. Used Honda DW1 fluid. 304,000 miles.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:04 AM
6th Gear

ok, so I drove it around for literally 45 minutes last night, various speeds from 0-80, stop and go. Shifted smooth no issues, no trouble code thrown. Had my wife drive it this morning, within 2 minutes of leaving the house, it threw the code. She recorded a video of it. Light acceleration up to 55 MPH, 2200 RPMs. About 12 seconds after shifting into 5th is when the code appeared. Message says check transmission and D light flashes. The ugly P0741 code!

Old 08-08-2023, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Hmmm, is your transmission fluid at the correct level? I had an issue once on another make where low fluid level caused the transmission to lose the highest gear.

I think the procedure is drive the car till its up to temperature then shut it off and pull the tranny dipstick, wipe it, then put it in and check the measurement within 90 seconds on flat ground. (Honda defined procedure). If its too low then i can see an issue occurring at the high end.

Another thing you could do is reset the transmission adaptation. Was it reset after you changed the old fluid? It should relearn the characteristics but we are slightly shooting in the dark here.

In terms of actions i would check the transmission level with the honda procedure. If good then try to recreate the issue as your partner drives.

Check your motor mounts, i do not know if this happens with hondas but on volvos, collapsed motor mounts in the older models can cause the axels to flex a bit on the transmission leading to random neutral engagements or inability for the torque converter to engage properly.

Hope it helps!
Old 08-10-2023, 08:29 AM
6th Gear

Hmmm, is your transmission fluid at the correct level? I had an issue once on another make where low fluid level caused the transmission to lose the highest gear.

I think the procedure is drive the car till its up to temperature then shut it off and pull the tranny dipstick, wipe it, then put it in and check the measurement within 90 seconds on flat ground. (Honda defined procedure). If its too low then i can see an issue occurring at the high end.

Another thing you could do is reset the transmission adaptation. Was it reset after you changed the old fluid? It should relearn the characteristics but we are slightly shooting in the dark here.

In terms of actions i would check the transmission level with the honda procedure. If good then try to recreate the issue as your partner drives.

Check your motor mounts, i do not know if this happens with hondas but on volvos, collapsed motor mounts in the older models can cause the axels to flex a bit on the transmission leading to random neutral engagements or inability for the torque converter to engage properly.

Hope it helps!
Appreciate the tips. Fluid level is right on. Checked per the owners manual (up to temp, within 90 seconds). The confusing thing is it will do fine, all day long in sport mode (paddle shifting). I will check over the motor/transmission mounts.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Trailshredder
Appreciate the tips. Fluid level is right on. Checked per the owners manual (up to temp, within 90 seconds). The confusing thing is it will do fine, all day long in sport mode (paddle shifting). I will check over the motor/transmission mounts.
That sounds like it has to do with the torque converter lock up.
Old 08-10-2023, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Hi Yang,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I cleared the codes, comes right back. I will get more detailed speed and rpm. Used Honda DW1 fluid. 304,000 miles.
Misread the odometer reading. At near 489,000 km's it may just be normal wear and tear over time. I've seen a few RDX's with 400-450k km but never that high so congrats on that.

Does the transmission code cause limp home mode and SH-AWD deactivation or is it just a nuisance code? You could try some of that lucas oil stop slip stuff which i have heard works in AISIN transmissions but am not sure how much success people have had with the ZF transmissions on these cars.

https://www.lucasoil.com/product/transmission-fix/

Some people call it snake oil but in a pinch on cars like ours it never hurts. I've had success with head gasket sealers when used according to directions so to each their own.

Anyways my advice would be to see if its worth fixing in the sense that a problem exists, or if its just a nuiscance code. I think Dali may be correct though given the mileage and readings you have provided.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 175 Posts
I think Dali may be correct though given the mileage and readings you have provided.
Plus the fact that in sport mode, the converter doesn't go into lock up.
The following users liked this post:
yanga001 (08-10-2023)
Old 06-05-2024, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

Hi All,

I have an 07 RDX that is throwing a P0741 Torque converter code. I have changed the fluid (Drain/Refill). I did a complete flush a year ago (drain/refill/drive 3 times). I have tested all the solenoids and they all seem to be working as should be. I was about to write it off as torque convertor clutches worn and decided to try to drive it in "Sport Mode" using the paddle shifters. So far, it will not throw the code if I manually shift it. Does this help narrow anything down? Does the torque convertor not lock out in sport mode? Any thoughts?
I have the same exact problem. Did you manage to fix it or just kept it running ever since?