Opinions wanted: RDX w/tech. VS. full loaded CR-V

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:50 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Titanium2k2
Considering all the vehicles and options available, if the last two standing are the used RDX or new CR-V at the end of the day, both are solid choices.
definitely. good luck hunting.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dmavilia
I own a 2011 RDX SH-AWD Tech and my wife drives a 2011 CR-V EX-L Navi. This is her 3rd CR-V, so she is a big fan. Here are some observations:

1. If you're doing a lot of highway driving, the CR-V is a loud car, not a lot of insulation and loud tires. RDX is a much better highway car.

2. CRV is slightly bigger on the inside, especially in the cargo area. Both fit passengers and child car seats equally as well.

3. My wife will take my car occasionally, and like your wife, is not a car person at all. BUT, she is coming around to the idea of having some power. The CR-V is so ungodly slow, it's frustrating at times - especially on the highway when it needs to downshift to maintain speed up a slight grade. She also notes how much more comfortable and luxurious the RDX is compared to the more spartan CR-V.

4. Lastly, the tech package on the RDX is obviously superior to that of the CR-V, but it only matters if she likes a really nice sounding stereo and uses the navi a lot. The CR-V stereo is merely adequate in sound quality with decent base, and the navi is similar in functionality, but lacks the larger screen and higher resolution. The CR-V does have a touch screen which is nice and makes for quick inputs.

The AWD systems don't really matter in the snow unless you like to have some fun spirited snow driving. Both are adequate to safely get you home (I lived through Boston's bad winter with both cars). The continental tires on the CR-V are a huge improvement to the car's snow traction.

OK, that's enough. Good luck with your decision. Either way, can't go wrong. My vote would be for the CR-V for your wife.
Great perspective! Thank you!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We looked at both a 2011 CRV EX-L Navi and 2011 RDX SH-AWD Tech, both new. For about $6K (Canadian) more, we walked away with the RDX.

Reasons for choosing RDX:
- softer leather, more comfortable seating, especially back seats.
- power; my wife was actually terrified of the slowness of the CRV.
- overall interior quality, including power passenger seat.
- great AWD system.

Cons:
- poor fuel mileage, plus it uses Premium.
- CRV has slightly larger and more usable cargo area.
- firmer ride, but things seemed to have softened a bit after 8,000km (5000 miles).

Both have good resale value. And both have rock-solid Honda reliability. Both had similar tech features (Bluetooth, XM radio, nav).