Oil leaking at bolt by oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 08:48 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil leaking at bolt by oil filter?

So I just took the trash out and noticed 3 driveway drips nickel or quarter size. So I was like what is this? It's cold so I grabbed a coat and my iphone to stick under to record a video with the light. By the oil filter there is a bolt that looks to go through a bracket into the pan. Maybe a motor mount bracket? I legit think it's coming from the lowest bolt 14 in the attached diagram.

Is it possible this bolt goes through the pan and has leaking thread sealant??? Anyone else seen oil collect and drip off here?

Old 10-23-2022, 07:27 PM
Advanced

So nobody has had this issue?

My nose is not working so I cannot 100% confirm it is motor oil.

The bracket #2 is so close in I can't see behind it or around it good to see if anything is coming down. I've stuck my phone all around and see no signs coming down the back of the engine. The only thing above there that is suspect is... I'm guessing it is called a CV half shaft or intermediate shaft? Acura diagrams suck! Anyways there is a shaft coming out going over to the front passenger CV axle. The mount for the passenger side of that shaft is above there. That area looks damp.

Is any of that gear oil filled? I thought all that related stuff was just grease?

If I could smell at the moment I could tell for sure rather or not it's motor oil. I gave up and cleaned it up locally there to rule out any blow back from the drain bolt and cleaned what I could there at the lower #14 bolt it's dripping off onto the driveway. Drove it some. Don't see anything new yet.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:13 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Not sure this is your leak but the oil filter housing has two o rings that have been reported leaking.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chopperpilot
Not sure this is your leak but the oil filter housing has two o rings that have been reported leaking.
Thank you. You may be right.

I found this thread.
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-...2007-a-972930/

One of the people in the thread removed the engine mount bracket shown in their picture I am attaching and no mention of oil coming out of the bolt. But a pretty good channeling above it to make drips off the bolt. It also gives a really good view of the drive shaft area I was mentioning. Mine looks about the same except the rusty shaft is a little damp too. I think it's possible the larger seal is weeping and it's making it's way down to the bolt. I totally dread it if so.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 242 Likes on 211 Posts
They'll eventually go bad, it's inevitable. A couple years ago mine started spotting when parked overnight in colder weather, and it has gradually progressed to spotting even in warmer weather. Nothing a little old cardboard can't stop, but also something I'll have to eventually get taken care of. I suspect the oil pan gasket, but could be any seal point under there I suppose. I have not been able to pinpoint the source.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
They'll eventually go bad, it's inevitable. A couple years ago mine started spotting when parked overnight in colder weather, and it has gradually progressed to spotting even in warmer weather. Nothing a little old cardboard can't stop, but also something I'll have to eventually get taken care of. I suspect the oil pan gasket, but could be any seal point under there I suppose. I have not been able to pinpoint the source.
Yeah, look on the back of the oil pan where the motor mount hooks up. Mine drips off the bolt that goes in the lower hole in the pan that's in the red box. I was really thinking maybe that bolt went right in and the thread sealant was leaking. But I don't see any oil in those threads in the picture, nor do I see any mention of that bolt going into the pan where as oil would leak out.

Mine really does not look like the pan gasket. I was thinking that first, but aside from what I can't see on mine for the motor mount bracket, the pan gasket area looks ok. I believe it's those rubber seals on the oil filter housing, the oval one could leach down where I can't see it and end up at that bolt.

I think you are right about the temperature too. It got good and cold there and I got a new drip 3 nights in a row. Since wiping it off, I have driven it 4 times and no drip. But it also hasn't been as cold, not below freezing since. I was actually debating rather I was going to use the 40% oil life or go ahead and change out early before it stays cold. It gets 60-70 miles a week, sometimes a little more. I'm probably fine until spring. But now I am kind of debating rather to just go ahead and try Mobil 1 high mileage once to see if it may help or just drain and tackle the job, or let it drip if it does until next oil change and tackle it then. I'll probably cuss turning those 4 bolts 1/8 a turn at a time out and back in. People that design them should have to wrench on things once it's all put together in the car! I may try the high mileage oil once before giving up and replacing those seals.