Oil Filter -- Honda vs Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009 | 01:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Lrpba300
That's nice that you disagree. I just think that $3-4 more for a GOOD filter for a great car is worth it. When you buy cheaper versions of product, sometimes you pay WAY MORE in the end.

Continue paying your $10-$12 but I will use the PureOne oil filter for $6 if I didn't have a bunch of the Filtech Honda filters in the garage. I don't know how much better can you get at 99.9% filteration rate, better than Mobil 1 for 1/2 the cost.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...ilfilters.aspx
Old 01-29-2009 | 07:32 PM
Sporty X type

Originally Posted by mickey513
Continue paying your $10-$12 but I will use the PureOne oil filter for $6 if I didn't have a bunch of the Filtech Honda filters in the garage. I don't know how much better can you get at 99.9% filteration rate, better than Mobil 1 for 1/2 the cost.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...ilfilters.aspx
I don't pay $10-12 for the Mobil1 oil filter. At Advanced Auto, I pay 9.99 for the Mobil 1 M1-110 filter. The Pure One filter is $13.99. STudy's show the filtration is good for the Pure one, but they don't tend to give out FLOW numbers! Believe what you want, but LOOK at the construction, filter rating & FLOW numbers for the Mobil 1 & I'll keep paying LESS for it than the Pure One. You buy what you want & I'll buy what I want, ok? But don't tell me what I pay for it. Your prices maybe different somewhere else.............
PS. Don't buy Boush, it didn't do so good in the FLOW numbers either! This is just one quote from the many, many oil filter studies done posted on the web, magazines, etc. "This filter is made by Champion Labs and uses a synthetic fiber element that can filter out very small particles. It is rated by the manufacturer at just under the Purolator Pure One as far as filtering capability, but is still very much above conventional paper filters. It also has a very strong construction to withstand high pressure spikes during start-up. Given the choice between the Purolator Pure One and the Mobil 1 filters, I would choose the Mobil 1 because of the restriction concerns of the Pure One." That was his quote on the Mobile 1, not mine.

Last edited by Lrpba300; 01-29-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2009 | 12:19 AM
Racer

I don't pay $10-12 for the Mobil1 oil filter. At Advanced Auto, I pay 9.99 for the Mobil 1 M1-110 filter. SO 9.99 isn't pretty much $10 ... The Pure One filter is $13.99. STudy's show the filtration is good for the Pure one, but they don't tend to give out FLOW numbers! Believe what you want, but LOOK at the construction, filter rating & FLOW numbers for the Mobil 1 & I'll keep paying LESS for it than the Pure One. You buy what you want & I'll buy what I want, ok? But don't tell me what I pay for it. Your prices maybe different somewhere else.............
PS. Don't buy Boush, it didn't do so good in the FLOW numbers either! This is just one quote from the many, many oil filter studies done posted on the web, magazines, etc. "This filter is made by Champion Labs and uses a synthetic fiber element that can filter out very small particles. It is rated by the manufacturer at just under the Purolator Pure One as far as filtering capability, but is still very much above conventional paper filters. It also has a very strong construction to withstand high pressure spikes during start-up. Given the choice between the Purolator Pure One and the Mobil 1 filters, I would choose the Mobil 1 because of the restriction concerns of the Pure One." That was his quote on the Mobile 1, not mine.
I see I am just wasting my breath, don't know what planet you come from but no rdx oil filter is $13.99, not even the K&N. Continue misleading yourself thinking there aren't good or better filters for $6, which is what the Pureone filter for the RDX runs for. I don't see anything about flow rates for the Mobil 1, so prove to the people on this board it's a better filter, show the numbers. If the flow rate for the Mobil 1 was good as your claim, lets see the stats.

As least PureOne can claim a soild built filter and a 99.9% filteration rate, even Mobil 1 can't claim this.
Old 01-30-2009 | 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mickey513
As least PureOne can claim a soild built filter and a 99.9% filteration rate, even Mobil 1 can't claim this.
One of the filter reviews that I read mentioned that PureOne is more likely to get blocked (than M1) for extended drain intervals, and all the filtration stops, oil just starts to bypass it. M1 also has more capacity, which again is needed for loger drain intervals.
M1 is definatly better for longer drain intervals, but since RDX needs oil change every 3-4K miles, M1 does seem like a waste.
Old 01-31-2009 | 05:01 PM
5th Gear

I just took my Acura RDX '07 in to the dealership and had my third oil change, tire rotation, plus Minder 6 Service done on it and I walked out with a bill for $374.45. I was expecting a couple hundred bucks but come on....Does anyone know if Honda will do this service for cheaper??? Or can purchase the right oil/filters and get Honda/Wal-Mart to do this service for less??
Old 01-31-2009 | 06:11 PM
Advanced

my local acura charges $40 just for the rotation alone. wally world does it for $6. dont remember what 6 service is but just ask what they're doing and say you will do parts yourself. I just got done with a B12 which is oil, filter, engine intake filter, cabin filter, tire rotate, and wiper blades. Was going to be $280 but I told them no to everything except for oil and filter. I bought the engine filter for $30 and put it in myself.

Dealer $288

Me - $134 (with cabin filter which I couldnt find)

$68 for oil and filter from dealer, $30 for engine filter, rotation at wally world $6, wipers $10. havent looked for a cabin filter but they are available at your local autoparts store, prolly <$20 (dealer was $40+) or make your own with a house hvac filter. when it comes to fluid related changes, I pay for the dealer but replace part A or B I do it myself.

Last edited by datnvan; 01-31-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2009 | 11:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by 737 Jock
Both of these filters were removed from my RDX after about 5500 miles service.

Below on the left is the OEM Honda, and on the right is the Mobil 1. The Honda filter is made under contract by Fram Filter Corporation. The Mobil 1 is made by Champion Filter.

What is the exact Honda Part Number on the Filter cut open in this post?

Is it the 15400-PLM-A01 or 15400-PLM-A02?

Old 02-22-2009 | 06:12 PM
Advanced

It's an A02, which has been standard for a while now, since Honda changed suppiiers.

A01's are getting harder to find.
Old 04-15-2009 | 02:31 PM
Racer

Purolator for me, never had an issue with them.

More than enough information here to keep you busy;

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 07-29-2009 | 10:20 PM
Instructor

has anyone compared one to the fram filters xD
Old 08-18-2009 | 09:50 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Both the PureOne and Mobil 1 are good filters and I doubt that either one will cause problems when changed on schedule.

However, sturdy construction is more critical to engine life than filtration rate. Remember, filtration only takes place at low rpm such as idle.

Most of the time the engine is operating at an rpm which causes full bypass of the filter -- it's pressure containment and non-deterioration that counts in bypass.

I can't quite follow though, why 4 or 5 dollars savings on a filter would be a consideration. The cheap filters are 3 to 5 bucks. The quality filters are 10 to 12. The engine the filter protects is $10000.
Old 08-18-2009 | 10:34 PM
Suzuka Master

I think RDX will be OK with regular filter, Honda or Pureone would do it, Mobil1 is an overkill. I use Mobil1 filter for my Acura CL because I am doing extended oil changes. But with RDX if you follow computer, my oil changes come to every 3500-4000 miles, this is not a lot of miles, and there is no need to have top of the line oil filter, it would simply be a waste.... just my 5 cents.
Old 08-25-2009 | 03:47 AM
Intermediate

Just got a Purolator L14620 and a Wix 5136. The Wix is a bit smaller (in height), but it has the same "hole size".

Do you think it may be a problem if it is a bit smaller?
PS sorry for my bad English, but I hope you get the point
Old 08-25-2009 | 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator

I use the wix all the time, no problems with it.
Old 08-26-2009 | 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

DIY is the best for RDX. No lifting of the car is required.
Old 10-05-2009 | 05:20 PM
2nd Gear

Check out the site below. You may change your mind about buying the more expensive filters. The sq inches of the filtration media is compared, surely a factor to consider.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=12206

Found that H and A Accessories has the 15400-PLM-A01PE (not A02PE) for $5.28 ea. Look like they are reverting back to the Filtech supplier. This is my first choice, Purolator L14459 being my second.
Old 10-06-2009 | 02:06 AM
2nd Gear

In the previous post, I said the filters from H&A were Honda #15400-PLM-A01PE. They are actually #15400-PLM-A01 and likewise the referenced A02PE should have been A02. I believe the A01PE is for Honda's small air cooled motors. May be the same although...this stuff is pretty confusing to me. Sorry.
Old 10-06-2009 | 07:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, if folks are changing their oil according to the MID, or every 6 months or every 5000 miles (max), then it shouldn't matter if you use the FRAM, Mobil 1 or purolator oil filters. If you intend to have an extended oil change interval like 10000 miles, then of course, I don't think you will find an oil filter for the RDX that will last that long.

FRAM may not be the best oil filter around, but they have been around for a long time as an oil filter manufacturer, even as a supplier for some car manufacturers.

Honestly, this nit-picking about which oil filter is best for our RDX is quite meaningless. Sure, some of you don't care about spending money for a "better" oil filter, but if we are talking about sticking to the regular oil filter change interval, why this debate about which oil filter is better, or which one sucks?

I have been using the FRAM PH7317 for the past 3 years, with oil/filter change every 5000 (or less) miles, and it has been working out for me.

Some of the pictures posted here regarding the FRAM deterioriating after use, think of it this way, it is made of paper fibre material, it is meant to be degradeable after a time of use. But as long as it is still doing it's job of filtering the particulates out, it will be fine.
Old 10-06-2009 | 11:11 AM
Sporty X type

^^ what Mav said above. I've said that for years, but got assualted, insulted, etc. for saying that! Doing religous filter changes is the most important thing for oil changing!

somemac..in that post, the dude wrote.. "Program Notes

I have to do this in installments. I will post the text first to get the info out, and will come back later to add pictures. Check for text edits, too, as I discover things that may need revision or clarification, or to add links, etc.

Also, I have no means to "test" these filters for flow rates, pressure drops, overpressure capacity, time-to-bypass, media efficiency, anti-drainback leakage... or anything else that simulates operating conditions. We'll have to leave that to the pros with the multi-million-dollar test labs, should anybody outside of the industry ever bother to publish results."..
It's his OPINION, if you agree w/ it, great. Some don't! If in doubt, Read above post by MAV again!
Old 10-06-2009 | 11:23 AM
Pro

Meh. I'll still avoid Fram for life. Sure millions of people use it without issue, but millions of people use walmart oil without issue too. Glued cardboard with no anti drainback design and half the pleats? I'll spend the extra $2-3 for quality.

Simply not having engine failures (which doesn't happen because of oil filters anyways) is not a reason to use a product with sub-par assembly/materials.

I'm currently using K&N simply because they are readily available at my local parts store.
Old 10-06-2009 | 11:31 AM
Pro

Some info, which is pretty indicative of standard Fram stuff.

Old 10-06-2009 | 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey I don't doubt the Honda PA01 filter is made sturdier and of higher quality. But my question is whether that higher quality is realized in the time of which the oil is changed out.

Honestly, if buying a $15 oil filter is fine with you, and it gives you "the sense of superior quality and eliminate any potential for damage", then by all means, buy it... that would be your take on it, the need to buy the more expensive filter because you feel it will make the significant difference...

The Acura MID is very different from other MID I have known, it requests an oil change as early as 3 months or 4000 miles. So if I was to do this religiously and follow this tight oil change schedule, I still stand by the notion, that you will probably not see any difference on performance and long term effect on the engine with either FRAM, Mobil 1 or the current Honda oil filter for the RDX.

It is not about saving money... if I can get the honda oil filter near my place, I would. But it just so happens that I get the FRAM filters readily at my local autoparts shop or even Walmart...

I change my oil and filter every 4 months, and this is way more than the BMW I had 3 years ago, which the MID indicated I needed only to change once a year. In that case, I would definitely be concerned with the oil filter being able to stand that 1 year duration of usage.
Old 10-06-2009 | 02:45 PM
Pro

The K&N cost me $12. Frams are still in the $7-8 range, Purolator, OEM, Wix are usually all under $10 and pretty readily available. I think Napa's house brand is made by Wix as well.

You may or may not notice any difference in the long run, but the same could be said for using Castrol Syntec or Synpower even though it's non HT0-06 oil.

I doubt any of us would have our cars long enough to ever notice a difference. I'm sure it would still last 200k on Walmart oil.
Old 10-06-2009 | 08:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mav238
The Acura MID is very different from other MID I have known, it requests an oil change as early as 3 months or 4000 miles. So if I was to do this religiously and follow this tight oil change schedule, I still stand by the notion, that you will probably not see any difference on performance and long term effect on the engine with either FRAM, Mobil 1 or the current Honda oil filter for the RDX.
Absolutely agree, OEM Honda filter for $6-7 is more than enough for 3000-4000 OCI. I read some reviews, and all these high efficiency filters like Mobil1 only make sense for long drain intervals. I buy Mobil1 filter only for my Acura CL on which I change oil every 7-8K miles. Yes, Mobil1 filter is better than Honda, but an overkill with no benefits at more $$$
Old 10-06-2009 | 11:17 PM
Pro

I don't disagree, but I think Honda OEM is still far superior to Fram's orange filters.
Old 10-07-2009 | 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cwepruk
I don't disagree, but I think Honda OEM is still far superior to Fram's orange filters.
Yup, totally agree. The Honda filters are definitely of a higher quality, not unexpected.

Machines in general, like our RDX, are made to run on components that have specifications which car manufacturers specify as necessary for proper functioning. Everything, including our prescription drugs have expiry time. Just make sure the component is used within that period of time as specified by the component manufacturer.

So in summary, what I am saying is that, even if the Honda filter is far superior in quality than say a FRAM filter, if the FRAM filter consistently DOES NOT fail in the time as determined by the component manufacturer (typically less than 6 months), then the superior quality of the honda filter makes no real significant difference. But if FRAM filter is known to not function dependably even for the 6 months consistently, then I would say stay away from using it. But FRAM has been around for a long time, not the best quality build filter, but it has worked for many folks.
If Honda filter is readily available to me, like a local honda dealer in my town, sure, why not, I would get it. Actually, I found out that the Honda filter is only $2 more than the FRAM.

So in essence, Honda oil filter good, but not absolutely necessary, OEM approved and reliable oil filters will work as well.

Last edited by mav238; 10-07-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-22-2011 | 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Question : if the mobil 1 filter was so clean after 5.5k miles, how would you know it did the job, "filtering"???? I'd expect to see a dirty filter and be happy.
Unless,,,,, the engine is really clean
I mean, I believe this engine(the honda J-series) is very clean, but just making sure

Last edited by 4drviper; 09-22-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: subscribing
Old 09-22-2011 | 09:45 PM
Sporty X type

4drviper...There is on this forum, somewhere, (maybe not in this thread) someone posted a place they sent their filter / oil in for eval. after the oil change. They do a lab test analisis on his stuff & get you a print out of the info on the oil. EX: how it broke down, filtering, contamination, etc, etc. Good info, but not sure I'd be so anal to do that much research for my used oil change. It's your choice of course! Use good oil, (HTO-06 spec) and good filters, correct oil interval changes & all should be ok, even for a long time!
Old 09-22-2011 | 11:34 PM
Burning Brakes

4drviper...There is on this forum, somewhere, (maybe not in this thread) someone posted a place they sent their filter / oil in for eval. after the oil change. They do a lab test analisis on his stuff & get you a print out of the info on the oil. EX: how it broke down, filtering, contamination, etc, etc. Good info, but not sure I'd be so anal to do that much research for my used oil change. It's your choice of course! Use good oil, (HTO-06 spec) and good filters, correct oil interval changes & all should be ok, even for a long time!

well i believe in synthetic lubes and firm screening material,,,

yea.. who cares about engine oil that much.

everyone knows about a story where rally drivers squashed bananas in crankcase when they ran out of oil lol

i'm not concerned that much, but just curious.

thanks for the quick reply. i'll search.
Old 09-26-2011 | 02:15 PM
Instructor

I've been using Purolator PureONE filters for years now (in my old Accord and now in the RDX) with no problems. RDX came with a Mobil1 filter, dealer changed the oil once and used an Acura filter, I've used 1 Acura filter, and the rest have been PureONEs.

AutoZone has/had a sale on PureONE filters, $5 each, + 20% off coupon code = $4 each. + Purolator has a mail-in-rebate for $3 off each PureONE filter (limit 4)...so I got 4 filters for $4. Can't beat that. Oh and I used MrRebates to get $0.90 cash back too