Oil Chg

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Chg

Morning... had my first oil change this past Saturday.Took about 30 min. Cahrged $65.82 at dealer.. thought it was very costly. had 3854 miles. they reset reminder. ask if they could reset it to 5,000 miles was told no.

any one know how to set it for 5,000 miles? happy holidays
Old 12-04-2006, 09:23 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most modern cars with an oil change reminder are not simple mileage timers. The computer keeps track of the number of cold starts, stop and start driving vs. highway driving and derives the time between changes with that information.

As for the price, I did read that the RDX runs Mobile1 full synthetic oil which explains the cost. Synthetic is double or more the price of conventional mineral oil but offer far better engine protection and longer life in return.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Intermediate

That seems like a fast oil change, the RDX is factory set for 5000+ miles. With each 10% equalling roughly 500 miles. I currently have 2500 miles and am at around 60% oil life. The quick change places say 5000 miles, but might actually be able to run for 10K, but i'm sticking with what the car says.

JD
Old 12-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by newteez
That seems like a fast oil change, the RDX is factory set for 5000+ miles. With each 10% equalling roughly 500 miles. I currently have 2500 miles and am at around 60% oil life. The quick change places say 5000 miles, but might actually be able to run for 10K, but i'm sticking with what the car says.

JD
The RDX isn't factory set for any specific mileage numbers for oil changes. It is all based on how the car is driven, revs and conditions. Everybody here has reported their mileage and percent remaining as being different.

As for the cost, that is high for just an oil change. Mobil 1 is more expensive than normal oil, but not that much more. Most likely if you asked your dealer why your oil change was so expensive they'd tell you that they did more than just change your oil and filter. They inspected this and that and whatever as stated in the manual.

If you really want to, you can reset your maintenance thing whenever you want. You don't need the dealer to do it.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:01 PM
rdxsteverino

I do my oil changes although I don't have enough miles yet on my RDX to warrant a change. As a point of reference, I just bought Mobile 1 Synthetic at $5.99 a quart at Kragen Auto Parts in preparation for my first oil change. Certainly more than I'm used to paying. The RDX takes just under 5 quarts (4.9 qts with a filter change) bringing the cost to around $30 just for the oil. Also need to add the cost of the filter (and your time).
Old 12-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll do my own oil changes, just like all my vehicles. I can get Mobil 1 5w-30 at Walmart in a 5qt. container for $24.60, which equals out to $4.92 / qt! It's very easy access under the RDX, so it should be fairly easy.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Lrpba300
I'll do my own oil changes, just like all my vehicles. I can get Mobil 1 5w-30 at Walmart in a 5qt. container for $24.60, which equals out to $4.92 / qt! It's very easy access under the RDX, so it should be fairly easy.
Are ramps required for diy oil changes?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Depends how skinny you are.....

I'm sure they'd help.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by coldbuttfood
Morning... had my first oil change this past Saturday.Took about 30 min. Cahrged $65.82 at dealer.. thought it was very costly. had 3854 miles. they reset reminder. ask if they could reset it to 5,000 miles was told no.

any one know how to set it for 5,000 miles? happy holidays
I think this might be in line, I had my dealer change the oil in my S2000 (Mobil 1), over the summer, and the price of the change was 62.74.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Advanced

If you do the oil change yourself, does the maintenance minder automatically reset, or do you have to get it done at the dealership? (I remember some of the Euro rides - Audi, BMW - had to get the warning reset by the dealer.)
Old 12-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

You can reset it yourself. The instructions might be in the owners manual, if not they are in the service manual and I can tell you what they are when I get home.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sasair
Depends how skinny you are.....
I'll buy ramps.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Race Director

Hendrick Acura in charlotte charges about 50 bucks for a synthetic oil change a new filter. That also includes they inspect your car while its on the lift and give it a car wash.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Advanced

Question - I am too lazy to go out to the garage and look, but we were told that the oil should be changed at 7500 miles. Is that correct? We have about 300 miles on it so I have time, but I just want to be sure I heard correctly. Jay
Old 12-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JayCT
Question - I am too lazy to go out to the garage and look, but we were told that the oil should be changed at 7500 miles. Is that correct? We have about 300 miles on it so I have time, but I just want to be sure I heard correctly. Jay
It varies depending on your driving habits and conditions. No set mileage. Just follow your maintenance minder indicators. You won't find any mileage schedules in the owner's manual....
Old 12-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Advanced

Thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishbulb
Are ramps required for diy oil changes?
No. Not really. You can get under there for the oil plug & filter quite easily.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here's a tactic for those of us who haven't purchased yet: negotiate free lifetime oil changes with your dealer as part of your purchase. One of my local dealers extends the powertrain wty to 100k and gives free oil changes with each Acura sold -- as a "standard" feature. Over time, it is a money and hassle saver. I used to change my oil on my '86 Prelude about a hundred years ago. That was real tricky before I broke down and bought ramps! Let's just say I was right of college and VERY thin!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Lifetime oil change

My dealer in Toronto told me that Acura does not offer lifetiime oil change even if I want to buy the package (I think it is like CAD$599 sold at Nissan dealer).

Other canadian acura owners, can you please confirm if it is true or he is lying ?
Old 12-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
I do my oil changes although I don't have enough miles yet on my RDX to warrant a change. As a point of reference, I just bought Mobile 1 Synthetic at $5.99 a quart at Kragen Auto Parts in preparation for my first oil change. Certainly more than I'm used to paying. The RDX takes just under 5 quarts (4.9 qts with a filter change) bringing the cost to around $30 just for the oil. Also need to add the cost of the filter (and your time).
I bought mobil 1 at Walmart for $19 in the 5 qt bottle
Old 12-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by acurardx
My dealer in Toronto told me that Acura does not offer lifetiime oil change even if I want to buy the package (I think it is like CAD$599 sold at Nissan dealer).

Other canadian acura owners, can you please confirm if it is true or he is lying ?
Acura as a company does not offer lifetime oil changes. That would be a dealer thing. Many dealers offer lifetime oil changes, just like free loaners. These things have nothing to do with Acura.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Intermediate

I got the lifetime synthetic oil change from my dealer. I think it was $500.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, the retail price of Mobil 1 5w-30 is $6.00/qt, and the filter is about $6.00 as well. $36 part and another $30 for labor isn't terribly unreasonable in my book. As a comparison, the local Jiffy Lube charges $60 for an oil/filter with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 (which will soon be HTO-06 approved).
Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Instructor

hmmm....got a postcard in the mail from the dealer yesterday saying I have an appointment on Thursday for my first service. Gee, no one told me I had an appointment and I certainly didn't make it. I'm at 2,250 miles with 60% oil life remaining, so I'm going to call and cancel. Kind of a hassle since I didn't book it. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come as far as service is concerned.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Photographer

60 dollars for an oil change at a dealer seems alright. please remember you are getting it done at a authorized Acura dealer and it does add value to the car if you plan to resell it. its not no jiffy lube change if you know what i mean. its done by trained Acura technicians. i know its just an oil change so dont make an big arguement, ie. "it doesnt take a rocket scientist to change the oil". i know if i were to buy a used Acura i really would have liked it if it was serviced by Acura the whole time. it gives me the peace of mind.

on the same note i just had an oil change and mines was free w/ a courtesy car wash/vacuume.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DNPhotography
please remember you are getting it done at a authorized Acura dealer and it does add value to the car if you plan to resell it. its not no jiffy lube change if you know what i mean. its done by trained Acura technicians.
Got any more of that Kool-Aid you've been drinking?

In all seriousness, those "authorized Acura techs" turnover more than those rotisserie chickens you see heated up at the grocery store.

What "value" does an authorized tech working on my car add to it that someone else (either an independent mechanic or an individual owner) can't?

My local, independent mechanic turns the wrenches on all my vehicles and I'll put his knowledge up against any wet behind the ears Acura tech. My mechanic documents everything done to all of my cars and he ACTUALLY DOES what he's supposed to do. The only thing he doesn't do is warranty work which always goes to the dealer service shop to be performed.

IMO, as long as the owner of a vehicle has documented the maintenance performed on his/her car, that's where the value is added.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:58 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

I don't think getting an Acura oil change is a big deal, but I would definitely stay away from the quickie-lube places. I have heard many horror stories.

I got lifetime free oil changes at the dealer with my RDX, but will probably still do a few of them at home. It just works out to be more convenient for me most of the time, all said and done. I can roll out of bed on Saturday morning and have the oil changed in about 20 minutes, which is easier than scheduling my day around a dealer visit.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Photographer

Originally Posted by Tripp11
Got any more of that Kool-Aid you've been drinking?

In all seriousness, those "authorized Acura techs" turnover more than those rotisserie chickens you see heated up at the grocery store.

What "value" does an authorized tech working on my car add to it that someone else (either an independent mechanic or an individual owner) can't?

My local, independent mechanic turns the wrenches on all my vehicles and I'll put his knowledge up against any wet behind the ears Acura tech. My mechanic documents everything done to all of my cars and he ACTUALLY DOES what he's supposed to do. The only thing he doesn't do is warranty work which always goes to the dealer service shop to be performed.

IMO, as long as the owner of a vehicle has documented the maintenance performed on his/her car, that's where the value is added.
are you serious? who do you think will see the rdx more often? the dealer techs or "your mechanic"? who do you think has more experience with Acuras? "your mechanic" or an Acura tech. i really doubt your mechanic has any experience with a 2007 RDX. before you get all fussy with me there are somethings that your mechanic can do, ie. oil change or rotate your tires. it doesnt take a rocket scientist do that.

lets say you want to buy my RDX and i say its never been to the dealer to be serviced, ever. i always serviced it at my "trusted mechanic". his name is BOB and he is great! would you trust my mechanic? now lets say that ive serviced my RDX only at Acura. who would you trust? my mechanic or Acura?

i think you got the point. or do you
Old 01-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Racer

are you serious? who do you think will see the rdx more often? the dealer techs or "your mechanic"? who do you think has more experience with Acuras? "your mechanic" or an Acura tech. i really doubt your mechanic has any experience with a 2007 RDX. before you get all fussy with me there are somethings that your mechanic can do, ie. oil change or rotate your tires. it doesnt take a rocket scientist do that.

lets say you want to buy my RDX and i say its never been to the dealer to be serviced, ever. i always serviced it at my "trusted mechanic". his name is BOB and he is great! would you trust my mechanic? now lets say that ive serviced my RDX only at Acura. who would you trust? my mechanic or Acura?

I can see tripp11 point. It's just an oil change, it's not a 30K, 60K, 100K mile service. Should we go to the dealer to change the dome light by scheduling an appointment, $90.00 an hour and they keep your car all day. No way.

Also, just because it's the dealer doesn't mean they don't have some clown/joker mechanic. With my Rodeo, I used to take it to the local dealer for major service until I realized they were idiots, so now I take it to the dealer about 45 minutes away just to get things done right. It may not be as bad with the acura dealerships but who knows.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Racer

I've got an independent mech who specializes in Honda/Acura, whom I've been going to for a decade. I'll put his knowledge up against any dealer mechanic I've ever come across.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Photographer

Originally Posted by SolidState
I can see tripp11 point. It's just an oil change, it's not a 30K, 60K, 100K mile service. Should we go to the dealer to change the dome light by scheduling an appointment, $90.00 an hour and they keep your car all day. No way.
like ive said so please read. there are somethings your mechanic can do in your case, change your dome light. now i dont know if your mechanic can reset your MID when they do the oil change. so you might wind up going back to your dealer to reset the oil life display.

I've got an independent mech who specializes in Honda/Acura, whom I've been going to for a decade. I'll put his knowledge up against any dealer mechanic I've ever come across.
like ive said also. do i know this mechanic personally? so how do i know hes so great? i guess none of see my POV.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Photographer

Originally Posted by SolidState
Also, just because it's the dealer doesn't mean they don't have some clown/joker mechanic. With my Rodeo, I used to take it to the local dealer for major service until I realized they were idiots, so now I take it to the dealer about 45 minutes away just to get things done right. It may not be as bad with the acura dealerships but who knows.
well put it this way then. if the dealer screws up on your car when in service its their falut. if your mechanic screws up on your car while hes working on it, its your falut
Old 01-10-2007, 10:08 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Honestly, dealer techs are not that good nowadays, especially if they are younger than about age 40. Sadly, it does not take a whole lot of training to be a dealer tech, and that job doesn't seem to attract the best people anymore. I know there are some good ones, especially the older guys with a lot of experience who have turned it into a long-term career (ie, they care about their work and like the job) but the majority of them are not too good in my experience, especially if they have to veer off the instructions in shop manuals (which anyone can buy -- so you don't need to pay an Acura Tech big bucks just to read a recipe). I would trust an independent mechanic far more. There are a couple Honda shops near me that are very well regarded. But the real bottom line is that I trust myself to work on my vehicles more than any mechanic, because I know what I am doing and I care about my vehicles a lot. Other than expensive warranty work and state inspections, I do almost everything at home. With a shop manual and internet access to Acura service bulletins, I have the same info the dealers have.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Newbie for Life

like ive said so please read. there are somethings your mechanic can do in your case, change your dome light. now i dont know if your mechanic can reset your MID when they do the oil change. so you might wind up going back to your dealer to reset the oil life display.
Are you kidding me??? Reset the MID? You think anyone with half a wit would struggle with that?

My independent works on ALL my vehicles - he's THAT good. Anything that IS NOT covered by warranty is performed by him - oil changes, tire rotations, balancing, brakes, etc... Now when my car is under warranty and I have a problem with a warranty covered item, such as the tranny, it's going back to Acura/Honda/Porsche/etc...

Service will differ from dealer to dealer, but my experience with our local dealer service shops is that turnover is high in the service tech position.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:41 AM
Newbie for Life

well put it this way then. if the dealer screws up on your car when in service its their falut. if your mechanic screws up on your car while hes working on it, its your falut
No matter which way you "put it", I don't see your point of taking your cars to the dealer to get all your service performed. To me, it seems like you're paying inflated prices for incompetent service.

BTW, I've never had a problem with my mechanic "screwing up" and not backing his work. Hell, he's put 3 different sets of brake pads on my sister's car because she's complained about some sort of noise she hears when braking - he can't duplicate the sound when test driving but replaces the pads anyways for free. The last set, a different brand, did the trick and no more noise.

Continue paying those stealership service prices if you feel so inclined - regardless you're helping out the economy.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Newbie for Life

are you serious? who do you think will see the rdx more often? the dealer techs or "your mechanic"? who do you think has more experience with Acuras? "your mechanic" or an Acura tech.
It's a car. 4 wheels, an engine, 2 doors/4 doors... Doesn't matter if it's an Acura, Porsche, Lambo or a freaking Daewoo. The point is clear and simple:

Regular service ---> my mechanic

Warranty service ---> dealer

If you had a file filled with invoices/receipts documenting all of your service, I would have no problem buying your RDX after I had my mechanic look it over for a few hours. I could care less if your mechanic's name was Laurie.

Guess not....nor do others on this board. Oh well, we'll agree to disagree.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Racer

Continue paying those stealership service prices if you feel so inclined - regardless you're helping out the economy.
That's probably the most valid point. Even if one managed to get a slightly higher resale value from someone who was impressed by the dealership service history (wouldn't be me, but whatever), it could very well be negligable in comparison to the costs saved by a good independent mech.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Newbie for Life

That's probably the most valid point. Even if one managed to get a slightly higher resale value from someone who was impressed by the dealership service history (wouldn't be me, but whatever), it could very well be negligable in comparison to the costs saved by a good independent mech.
I agree. Perhaps the poster has had bad experiences with independent mechanics or heard horror stories from friends.

In my case, I asked around with my family and was referred to the guy I've been using since I was in college. He's an honest, hardworking guy who knows cars....actually, he lives and breathes cars and so does his family.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Photographer

No matter which way you "put it", I don't see your point of taking your cars to the dealer to get all your service performed. To me, it seems like you're paying inflated prices for incompetent service.

BTW, I've never had a problem with my mechanic "screwing up" and not backing his work. Hell, he's put 3 different sets of brake pads on my sister's car because she's complained about some sort of noise she hears when braking - he can't duplicate the sound when test driving but replaces the pads anyways for free. The last set, a different brand, did the trick and no more noise.

My independent works on ALL my vehicles - he's THAT good. Anything that IS NOT covered by warranty is performed by him - oil changes, tire rotations, balancing, brakes, etc... Now when my car is under warranty and I have a problem with a warranty covered item, such as the tranny, it's going back to Acura/Honda/Porsche/etc...
how do you know all Acura techs are incompetent? have you had experience with every single tech? every single Acura dealership? so why make that statement? ***i mean you say that for basic service (oil change) you can go to your regular mechanic but for warranty service (tranny problem) you go back to the dealer? so you dont trust the dealer for your oil change but you do trust them for a tranny problem? i dont get it... please think of your quote that is in bold when you read my last statement.

there is no question that your mechanic is "that good". if he wasnt you wouldnt be going back to him! so thats a moot point. i guess its different here in Hawaii. we value quality service.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:38 AM
Newbie for Life

i mean you say that for basic service (oil change) you can go to your regular mechanic but for warranty service (tranny problem) you go back to the dealer? so you dont trust the dealer for your oil change but you do trust them for a tranny problem? i dont get it...
LOL

Seriously, you don't understand why my car goes back to the dealer for warranty work but for regular service I use my own mechanic????

Warranty work is covered by manufacturer - Acura, Chevy, Honda, etc... The dealer service shop isn't going to charge you for warranty work...

Do you fail to see the rationale behind this?

Quick Reply: Oil Chg