No '10 MDX, '10 RDX!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
lol...u got a lot of reading up to do. read all my posts. theres a difference between being critical and "not liking" something.

love my rdx, when i bought it, as most of us on the board came here buying the original model, it was the best thing out. I love its drive and handling. Was hoping the 2010 acura would make right alot of its shortcomings, instead, they left 99% of the vehicle untouched. too bad. had a chance to really make some moves against the competition. The RDX even the 2010, is a very old vehicle compared to others. Ive become critical of acura and the RDX because 37k is a sizable amount of money and Acura has lagged, big time, against the competition. 2010 was a let down, for this model, and Acura more or less has chosen a path that I dont agree with anymore. Their stickers have gotten way too high while offering up the same old shit just restyled. id still put the RDX up against any cuv out there, its handling and performance will beat just about everything other than the Q5 & EX (which really isnt the same type of vehicle) so in that regard i love it, i love driving it everyday, but everyday im reminded i bought a 37k honda, which doesnt sit well with me.
Oh. OK, I have to agree with most of that and that being said, I guess I just misunderstood what you were saying in this thread. No hard feelings, I hope
Old 12-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive, but some things will not die--like Jason.

I just turned 1,200 miles on the odometer and I'm still glad I traded the '08 for the '10 and saved $10K+ by not waiting and buying the '10 MDX, which I am now saving for my next vehicle in a couple of years. Yes, the '10 RDX has it's fugly parts, but the increased power, ride, handling, brakes, and quietness (much reduced road noise) are so much better than the '08. Also, the USB was a much needed addition. To top it all my insurance actually went down a few dollars!!!

BTW, my dealer still does not have a '10 MDX, but the other dealer in Indy has several, but no Advanced models. Go figure.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I thought the power was the same as the previous years? 240hp/260lb-ft?

I sure wish I had the USB port!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Racer

Power is the same.

"Rated output for the 2.3L engine is 240 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 260 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm. The RDX has an EPA city/highway fuel economy rating* of 19/24 mpg (RDX 2WD) and 17/22 mpg (RDX SH-AWD™).
"

ps...the 2010 ACURA LINEUP is now Ugly looking. I will not buy another Acura unless they change that ugly front end! (This comes from an Acura guy for the past 3 vehicles!)
Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bgillette79
Power is the same.

"Rated output for the 2.3L engine is 240 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 260 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm. The RDX has an EPA city/highway fuel economy rating* of 19/24 mpg (RDX 2WD) and 17/22 mpg (RDX SH-AWD™).
"

ps...the 2010 ACURA LINEUP is now Ugly looking. I will not buy another Acura unless they change that ugly front end! (This comes from an Acura guy for the past 3 vehicles!)
No two engines are alike despite what the automakers claim as far as hp and torque. The published numbers are only averages, so one RDX could be at 230 and another at 250. (check out http://www.vtec.net/ for some interesting dyno results on Acuras and Hondas) My '10 is like a rocket compared to the '08 I had, and I am getting the same mpg. All automakers make tweaks to their products from one model year to the next and often do not inform the consumer, unless they can charge more for it, or use it to sell the vehicle. So, I either have A) a stronger engine, B) more boost from the turbo, C) I may be deluding himself, or D) all or none of the above!!!

Last edited by Rexorg; 01-01-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

If you want to guzzle some gas, I can't believe the sudden acceleration my 2010 RDX has. Drive it easy and get 20mpg around town.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:39 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
there is no increase in power. subjectively if you think so thats fine, but that is not a true statement.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:10 AM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree w/ Mike, Known him for too long, he doesn't BS.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMike1981
there is no increase in power. subjectively if you think so thats fine, but that is not a true statement.
If you are referring to me, you are dead wrong. I've owned 37 vehicles over the past 41+ years and subscribe to a number of auto magazines since 1968. I was a member of USAC for 30+ years. I know cars inside and out, and I know when a vehicle has better performance. You need to do some research before you make a statement that is so blatantly ignorant of the facts.

P.S. If the moderators want to ban me that's fine. I am getting tired of some of the BS and self-aggrandizement that is being posted in these forums.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Rexorg has a point there. Maybe his previous car was underperforming a bit and now he got a "ringer". It's all luck of the draw though
Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by Rexorg
If you are referring to me, you are dead wrong. I've owned 37 vehicles over the past 41+ years and subscribe to a number of auto magazines since 1968. I was a member of USAC for 30+ years. I know cars inside and out, and I know when a vehicle has better performance. You need to do some research before you make a statement that is so blatantly ignorant of the facts.

P.S. If the moderators want to ban me that's fine. I am getting tired of some of the BS and self-aggrandizement that is being posted in these forums.
what would have been great, is instead of writing this post, you should have posted actual facts so that i could have something to refer to, to research or any other avenue to track down what you claim, as far as i know, or anyone else, the power is the same. Id like you to show me otherwise, in all seriousness.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:38 PM
big shot.

and btw, i certainly agree that no car is alike, and that most cars you can definately sense differences in operation, but what you are claiming as TRUE, just tell me, rather US, where your claim is coming from. If what you are claiming is based on experience, feel, and comparison, thats great and im glad you got a more "powerful" engine, but as far as the car having more on paper power, or the engine literally contains more power, please enlighten the board...because otherwise, it still remains pure subjectivity, i dont care if uve been working on cars and "know" them out of the womb.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Makes you wonder. Several "professional" reviewers over the past couple of years have talked about experiencing no turbo-lag where most of us who own them feel this is false. Also one of the auto-magazines (I belive MT?) showed an improvement in 0-60 times in its long-term test. Maybe there is a fairly significant difference ffrom vehicle to vehicle.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Let's all smooth our feathers out a little, nobody here is trying to be disagreeable or haughty, we are all just a bunch of car guys who get passionate from time to time! Anyway...actually it wouldn't surprise me at_all to learn that a '10 had more actual power (or felt like it did) vs. an '08. I agree that mfr's sometimes don't post increased hp (or other items) and this is for many reasons. Hypothetically, in the RDX it might happen because Acura likes to be a dark horse -- perhaps better put -- a subtle dragon, if you will.

Another reason might be simple competition within the lineup -- if an RDX has actual hp of say 270 or so, then some MDX buyers may be more apt to buy it and thus spend less money than Acura would prefer. The other thing you've got to keep in mind is mfrs make their trip computers lie about mpg...ever read a mag review that says, "the trip computer reported 23mpg" ... well there's a reason they write it that way! I can tell you that my trip computer has inflation of about 1-1.5 mpg vs. actual mpg. So there's no reason to think they might not be totally honest about other items as well. Just some food for thought.

MMike -- curious, have you seen the [upcoming rumored] Q3? It is Audi's version of the crossover sedan/hatch thing. Looks to me like a smaller ZDX. I saw a few photos today for the first time. Gotta say I'm not overly enthused, it kind of reminds me of an AMC Concord (if I'm remembering right, LOL) but sometimes photos don't do a vehicle justice.

That said, I agree 110% on the cool factor of the new Audis. A5 has my eye as well. The Qs are a little pricey for my comfort level but I've no doubt they are sweet rides. My concern would also be long-term quality. Buddy of mine has an A6 -- well, had an A6 'til he got tired of paying $1100 every dealer visit for some new problem. The car unfortunately fell apart almost immediately after the warranty was up. Extended warranty would be the way to go with Audi. Acura, no worries there imho. BUT this same guy just leased a new CC and loves it. So he is sold on the VW/Audi driving experience/styling, etc. They are doing something right.

I'm also not in love with the direction Acura has taken the past few years with the TL and even to some extent the RDX -- where is the V6? Where is the diesel? Surely we can squeeze some better mpg from current engine technology? Freaking GM does it, why can't Acura if we are so "advanced"? Hmm?! And let's lose the beak; at least it looks better on the RDX than the TL!

I'm enthused with the potential contained in the upcoming TSX wagon. The TSX sedan is nice looking but like the rest of the Acura lineup a little overpriced imho. Maybe by $5-7k. But I feel this way about a lot of makes, actually.

Agree that Hyundai/Kia has Acura's number. H/K has made HUGE strides the past five years and are knocking, no BANGING on Acura's door. Look out, AHM!