New RDX Owner Confused By Maintenance Minder

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:39 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New RDX Owner Confused By Maintenance Minder

So I just purchased a 2007 RDX Tech Package with about 99k miles. I'm used to millage based service intervals, but looking in the owners manual I only see maintenance codes A,B and 1-6.

After doing some digging I found that Acura uses their maintenance minder system to tell you when to perform select service. My question is should I have seen a maintenance code 4 by now? I purchased the car from an Audi dealership; could the dealer have cleared the MM code?

Based on how the car sounds when it turns on I think it needs new spark plugs. Looking at the service history in the car, which was regularly done an an Acura dealership, it appears that the original spark plugs are still installed. I am fine taking care of this myself through DIY, but I don't know what else should be changed at this time due to the lack of code. Can anyone help?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Given that you said service has been provided by Acura, any dealership should be able to tell you what the service history is on your car. From there, you can follow the MM and do the required service when prompted by the MM.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:37 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
most likely the next service will be the whatever letter with the 4. TB and spark plugs and the water pump usually all get changed out around the 105k major maintenance. some people will get the 4 at 102k others at 107k...depends on how the car was driven.

like the previous poster said...contact the acura dealer that the car was originally serviced at to get the entire service history. this way you know what has been done.

more than likely the previous owner traded the car is b/c of the upcoming TB service and wanted to get into something else to play with.

oh and follow the MID.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:46 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by RenoTL
Given that you said service has been provided by Acura, any dealership should be able to tell you what the service history is on your car. From there, you can follow the MM and do the required service when prompted by the MM.
The only services dealers share is recalls and I think warranty work. Regular maintenance such as oil changes is not shared.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
most likely the next service will be the whatever letter with the 4. TB and spark plugs and the water pump usually all get changed out around the 105k major maintenance. some people will get the 4 at 102k others at 107k...depends on how the car was driven.

like the previous poster said...contact the acura dealer that the car was originally serviced at to get the entire service history. this way you know what has been done.

more than likely the previous owner traded the car is b/c of the upcoming TB service and wanted to get into something else to play with.

oh and follow the MID.
By TB do you mean Timing Belt? If so, shouldn't this not be an issue with the RDX since it has a Timing Chain? Also is the water pump ever called out for service, or is there anything that recommends the proper millage for it to be changed?
Old 01-14-2014, 05:35 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

the "4" is for the timing belt. water pump is usually changed out with the TB along with spark plugs and a valve adjustment as needed. i know the TSX 4 cyl has a chain. i am unsure of the RDX. all other V6 Acuras have a belt.

other maintenance items not part of the MID: brake fluid every 3 yrs regardless of mileage, power steering fluid as needed...

what does code 4 say in YOUR owner's manual for the RDX?
Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
the "4" is for the timing belt. water pump is usually changed out with the TB along with spark plugs and a valve adjustment as needed. i know the TSX 4 cyl has a chain. i am unsure of the RDX. all other V6 Acuras have a belt.

other maintenance items not part of the MID: brake fluid every 3 yrs regardless of mileage, power steering fluid as needed...

what does code 4 say in YOUR owner's manual for the RDX?
All code 4 says is to replace the plugs and check the valve spacing.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:40 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

that answers the TB question...well lack thereof. the 4 should be popping up next assuming the previous owner followed the MID.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2007RDXMaintenanceSchedule

Your vehicle is equipped with the
Maintenance Minder system. The on-board computers will calculate when service is required.

One of the most convenient and important features on your
RDX is the advanced technology of the Maintenance Minder System. The maintenance requirements for your RDX are determined by an internal algorithm, which considers the engine starting temperature, driving distance and engine RPM. The onboard computer also judges your driving conditions and habits, and then calculates the remaining engine oil life, displaying it as a percentage. The technology of the Maintenance Minder System allows you to enjoy your RDX without the worry of when you are due for your next servicing.

The remaining engine oil life and
maintenance service symbols are displayed in either the odometer/trip meter area or in the multi-information display area. As part of the Maintenance Minder System, a separate "wrench" icon also appears indicating that required maintenance service is due. Based on engine operating conditions, the onboard computer in your Honda calculates the remaining engine oil life. When the remaining oil life is approximately 15%, the Maintenance Minder will indicate that an oil change is due soon. When it reaches 5%, the system will show that an oil change is due now. When it reaches 0%, the system will show that an oil change is past due by an indicated mileage. Along with these reminders, the system will also display either a Maintenance Main Item A or B along with Maintenance Sub-Items 1 through 6 as required.

Factory Recommended
Maintenance

Maintenance Main Symbols

Main Item A
Replace engine oil.*

Main Item B/B1
Replace engine oil* and filter.

Service front and rear brakes.

Rotate tires,** inspect for wear and adjust pressure.

Inspect parking brake adjustments.

Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.

Inspect suspension components.

Inspect driveshaft boots.

Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS)

Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks.

Inspect exhaust system.

Inspect fuel lines and connections.

Maintenance Sub-Symbols

Sub-Item 1
Rotate tires,** inspect for wear and adjust pressure.

Sub-Item 2
Replace air cleaner element.

Replace dust and pollen filter.

Inspect and adjust drive belt.

Sub-Item 3
Replace transmission fluid.

Replace transfer case fluid (if equipped).

Sub-Item 4
Replace spark plugs.

Replace timing belt, inspect water pump (V6).

Inspect valve clearance.

Sub-Item 5
Replace engine coolant.

Sub-Item 6
Replace rear differential fluid.

Notes:

*Use only Genuine motor oil with a viscosity specific to your vehicle.
**Tires may require more frequent rotation depending on driving conditions, alignment and driving habits.

Specific Additional Required
Maintenance

In addition to the
maintenance messages shown in the display, having additional services performed at the distance recommended is vital to keeping your RDX in optimum operating condition.

12,000 km Replace rear differential fluid and every 24,000 km thereafter if vehicle is regularly driven in mountainous areas at very low speeds, or if vehicle is frequently used to tow a trailer (4WD vehicles).

Every 24,000 km Replace air cleaner element if vehicle is regularly driven in dusty conditions.

Every 24,000 km Replace dust and pollen filter if vehicle is regularly driven in urban areas with high concentrations of emissions from industry and diesel-powered vehicles.

100,000 km Replace automatic transmission fluid and every 48,000 km thereafter if vehicle is regularly driven in mountainous areas at very low speeds, or if vehicle is frequently used to tow a trailer.

100,000 km Replace timing belt if vehicle is regularly driven in very low temperatures (under -29°C; -20°F, V6 only).

Every 256,000 km Inspect idle speed.

Every 3 years Replace brake fluid.