New Acura RDX checklist

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Acura RDX checklist

Since this is my first new car purchase, I don't know what I need to check on. I heard people check all the functions of the car and the vin#. Should I check the tires for wear or maybe rust on the bottom? Is there a release form you sign after you're satisfied with the checkup?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Intermediate

For a brand new vehicle (assuming from the dealer) you just need to be satisfied that all the features work. Try every switch, accessory, etc. Make sure the seats move properly, fold down, etc. If you discover anything not working properly after you leave, back to the dealer and they'll fix you right up.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
clear a whole morning or afternoon for delivery if possible. try to pick the car up on a good weather day. always look for scratches around the body. like canuckle said, try every switch (doors mirrors, windows wipers etc). all the lights, audio, moonroof etc. spend a good hour trying all these things before leaving the dealer. save the hassle of identifying a scratch a few days later at home, at bring it back to the dealer. then they can argue you scratched it etc.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Racer

A good dealer will show you how all the features work, customize all the settings to your liking, link your cell phone, etc.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by canuckle
For a brand new vehicle (assuming from the dealer) you just need to be satisfied that all the features work. Try every switch, accessory, etc. Make sure the seats move properly, fold down, etc. If you discover anything not working properly after you leave, back to the dealer and they'll fix you right up.
You don't even need to bring it back to the dealer you bought the car from. I had three problems that were fixed by a dealer closer to my house.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:05 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
drive it on the highway, make sure the car is in alignment, tires are balanced.....all the more important things that dealers say they have checked and or done but really dont because "its supposed to come from the factory" in alignment, balance, etc etc. Id say those are my most common 2 issues when getting new cars.....its been a reaccuring theme in the last 4. Also....check the tire pressure...some dealers forget to deflate the tires after delivery (they are set at 40+ to avoid dead spots while sitting). make sure they are at your desired level. good luck!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:10 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by bmwoo
Since this is my first new car purchase, I don't know what I need to check on.
Yes, there is a specific checklist you can use.

When you get your manuals, look for the "Maintenance Journal". In the very front is a TQI (Total Quality Inspection) checklist. The dealer performs this before delivery and all items should be checked off. Some dealers have been known to pencil-whip the TQI -- note (on this forum) how many cars have been delivered with 45 psi shipping pressure in the tires.

You can use the TQI guidance to do your own inspection; most of the items are basic. Bring a small flashlight, tire pressure gauge, and the phones you want to pair.

My dealer also put the RDX on a lift so I could do the underbody inspection. (New cars leak too.) If you ask for this, they may raise the car before you get there -- and they will have wiped it nice and clean for your your underbody tour. Take the tour, and identify the engine, transmission, transfer case and rear differential. Have them show you where the driveshaft and axleshafts enter and exit those units. There are oil seals there.

Do your road test (TQI part 9) and have them raise the car again. NOW do your tour and look for evidence of leaks on the items you learned earlier. Pay particular attention to the shaft oil seals. If you spot fresh oil (oil is viscous, has odor, and looks yellow, red or purple on a white paper towel) don't accept the car until you've seen a work order resolving the leak.

Some dealers may cite liability concerns about letting you in the shop, but mine was gracious and very helpful.

In all likelihood any issues found, will be minor dealer oversights. Pair up your phones and enjoy your new sport compact. When you have questions, come to AcuraZine -- these guys are great!

Originally Posted by MMike1981
One thing i have always loved about Acura owners and the brand, the people are smart, they know what they want, and they are there for other reasons than branding and status, hence all the comments that permeate this board about value, resale, std features, reliability, and design cues that are neither offensive or vanilla, but edgy and just right.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I personally don't worry much. Any issues you discover immediately will be fixed. It would be extremely rare to find a rusty, worn tired new car at any dealer.

I found a small hole in my center armrest 4 days into ownership, talked to the dealer and they have a new one on order.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the info. Getting ready to pick up my car. Any clue when the 2009 will be coming out?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
how much and where?