New and Accessory question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New and Accessory question

Hi everyone...been reading for a while but just finally registered.

I have a 2008 Base RDX in Carbon Bronze bought a few weeks ago. I've been enjoying it so far coming from driving a BMW 325i. I think we got a good deal purchasing it at invoice.

Got a question on accessories. I am thinking of adding a roof rack and side moldings. The roof rack really is for looks rather than function. What do most of you have, and can I have an opinion on what you think looks best, and the best way to go for purchase and installation. (I won't be doing it myself!) I think the roof rack makes it look sportier, and the moldings are to avoid door dings.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Irvine, CA

Was thinking of getting the roof rack as well- for the same aesthetic reasons you gave- definitely gives a sportier and rugged look.

I installed my own body side moldings. It's not really that hard and takes about half an hour- just print out the DIY instructions and follow it to the T. There is also a write up by someone who did it as well. Again, takes about 30 minutes and you save yourself $100! I bought mine from one of those acura dealership selling accessories through ebay.

Write up of the install:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1480

Installation Links:
https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.c...dysidemldg.pdf
Old 09-24-2007, 10:49 AM
RDX Lover

I'm on the same boat.. I can't decide if I want to get the roof rack or not. Only difference is that I would use it to lug snowboards/skis up to the mountains, and would not get it just for the aesthetics.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Go Buckeyes

I had the roof rack and the ski attachement installed when I bought the RDX in February. You will definately here a wistle sound with the crossbars attached (I though it may go away when I removed the ski attachment, it is a little less). You will really hear the wistle if you have the moonroof open, it can get annoying, but with the radio on it is not to bad. So if it is for the look I would not get the crossbars, thanks
Old 09-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Racer

The roof rack is expensive and I don't like the looks. However, it should be great for carrying skis.

I have the body side molding and it works great for parking lot ding protection.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Go Buckeyes

Smile

I did not mention before yes it is expensive to have the dealer put it on, which I chose. You have to cut part of the molding to put on the rack and i did not want to make a mistake and have to replace. I know from previous post that some people did put it on themselves though. The ski attachment work great for me last season.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:28 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want it for the look, and just feel like spending money cause you have it, go put it on(but have the dealer do it, so they would be viable).

If you have money to dish out, please send it my way, thanx. hah
Old 09-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
mine came with the car, definately looks better then nothing up there
Old 09-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jiangximom
Hi everyone...been reading for a while but just finally registered.

I have a 2008 Base RDX in Carbon Bronze bought a few weeks ago. I've been enjoying it so far coming from driving a BMW 325i. I think we got a good deal purchasing it at invoice.

Got a question on accessories. I am thinking of adding a roof rack and side moldings. The roof rack really is for looks rather than function. What do most of you have, and can I have an opinion on what you think looks best, and the best way to go for purchase and installation. (I won't be doing it myself!) I think the roof rack makes it look sportier, and the moldings are to avoid door dings.

Thanks!
I didn't get any accessories with it, and I typically don't really carry anything extra on the top of the vehicle, not even skis. So the roof rack, as you indicated, is more of a "styling" thing, which does not appeal to me anyway. Plus, the added drag and weight...

I occasionally chauffeur an old couple who are our long time friends, which do have some trouble getting into SUVs. So the sport step boards might have come in handy... But they again add more weight to the vehicle, which I don't need...

JMHO
Old 09-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the replies! I decided to go with the roof rack and the body side moldings. I am having them installed tomorrow. Even though I like the look of the roof rack, it might come in handy as we do ski, but probably would take hubby's car. The RDX roof rack has the cross bars, so it will even come in handy if I need to haul something.

The body side moldings are to hopefully avoid dings. Too many cars here in Southern California! I dinged twice the edge of the back right passenger door already opening it in the garage too close to one of my husband's power tools. I need to get some touch up paint! Broke my heart too. The tool now has a protective surface over it!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Funny, I took the roof rails off of my old WRX wagon.

And, I figured the cost of the molding would pay for multiple PDR treatments.

...but at least you got the color right!!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Cruisin'

brizey...I am lost...I don't understand your reply.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:00 AM
B A N N E D

+1
Old 09-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
He is replying to post #1, not your post. Makes perfect sense to me...
Old 09-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sasair
He is replying to post #1, not your post. Makes perfect sense to me...
...thanks.

I try to use the quote function when replying to a post other than the original.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Advanced

...I think the roof rack makes it look sportier, and the moldings are to avoid door dings.
funny... I think it looks sportier without the roof rack and makes it stands out from other small SUVs & small wagons.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Cruisin'

Funny...we all have different tastes I guess.

I just came back from having the installation, I am very happy with how it looks. I like it much better than before. I really like how the side moldings look.

And I was the original poster in this thread...so wasn't that comment from brizey directed towards me?