Navigation update for RDX - expensive

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Navigation update for RDX - expensive

I checked out the Canadian version of the Navi update and it costs about CAD250.00 + tax + shipping ~ CAD300!!!!!

This is ridiculous, I can buy an up to date brand spanking new portable reliable Garmin for less than that. And the updates with the portables are done straight through the internet via USB, no DVDs to fiddle with.

And even better stilll, for this long distance drive back to the NorthWest Coast (over 3000 miles), wherever my RDX Navi can't find an address, i will use the free of charge voice guided Mapquest app for my iphone. Granted, the mapquest is pretty primitive, but for no additional cost, I get mapquest maps which I believe is up to date. (of course, granted, I am in an area where there 3G cell wireless coverage).
In any case, I have a third back up, my fairly reliable LG LN730 GPS, works well, just a bit slow to respond and accuracy in triangulation and location is not as good as others.

It is just maps loaded onto a DVD, and maybe some updated features for the navi, but seriously, CAD300 for it, does not make sense at all.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah....Alpine is doing itself a huge disservice by keeping the price as high as it is. It might have been fine 3-5 years ago before standalone units were as common iPods, but given that you can buy a brand new unit for half the price of the update, I suspect they aren't going to get a lot of takers.

Mike
Old 06-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just upgraded from 4.55a and it cost $170 shipped. I don't plan to update again for a few years.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eilros
I just upgraded from 4.55a and it cost $170 shipped. I don't plan to update again for a few years.
$170 is more reasonable, close to the price of a new portable unit. But my RDX is Canadian based unit, so will require the DVD update from Acura Canada. Plus the Canadian units don't have traffic info capability, which makes the CAD300 price ridiculous.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mav238
$170 is more reasonable, close to the price of a new portable unit. But my RDX is Canadian based unit, so will require the DVD update from Acura Canada. Plus the Canadian units don't have traffic info capability, which makes the CAD300 price ridiculous.
I beg to differ. I agree your $300 CAD price is ludicrous, but $170 USD is FAR from reasonable. We're talking about a CD of data here that costs probably a buck or less to reproduce. You can buy a complete portable nav system for half that now...

Mike
Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by catnippants
I beg to differ. I agree your $300 CAD price is ludicrous, but $170 USD is FAR from reasonable. We're talking about a CD of data here that costs probably a buck or less to reproduce. You can buy a complete portable nav system for half that now...

Mike
It depends on how one sees it, and you have your opinions and each of us have ours...

I do agree the $170 is not cheap, but if you look at it this way, there are these prescription drugs which are simply capsules or tablets, and costs less than a nickel to produce, but why do pharma companies charge like a $1 a capsule for it? It's the R&D and all the infrastructure and overheads that went into making the capsule. Ultimately they need to reap it back... well we can always say, who cares, we just know that it cost less than a nickel to produce, so sell it to us at minimal profit... you know as well as I do... real life is not like that...

I am not saying the price of $170 is cheap, but at least it is still within the price of a good portable GPS, and thus you can debate whether to choose one over the other... With the Canadian version, at $300, one can buy 3 mediocre level GPS for the price of a DVD set. That is ludicrous.

JMHO
Old 06-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

It depends on how one sees it, and you have your opinions and each of us have ours...

I do agree the $170 is not cheap, but if you look at it this way, there are these prescription drugs which are simply capsules or tablets, and costs less than a nickel to produce, but why do pharma companies charge like a $1 a capsule for it? It's the R&D and all the infrastructure and overheads that went into making the capsule. Ultimately they need to reap it back... well we can always say, who cares, we just know that it cost less than a nickel to produce, so sell it to us at minimal profit... you know as well as I do... real life is not like that...

I am not saying the price of $170 is cheap, but at least it is still within the price of a good portable GPS, and thus you can debate whether to choose one over the other... With the Canadian version, at $300, one can buy 3 mediocre level GPS for the price of a DVD set. That is ludicrous.

JMHO
Levaquin is about $30 per pill. One of the most expensive widely prescribed drugs.

I haven't quite figured out their pricing. There is simply no way they are selling many of these. If the production price is really low, they could sell 50x by lowering the price to $50 (I would happily pay $50 for the updates). I wonder if they just have a crappy deal from Navtec because their volume is so low compared to someone like Garmin. Maybe they are paying $120 per copy for the Navtec license, while Garmin, who has say 100 times the volume, pays $20 per copy.

I wish that Honda and others would use Garmin or another GPS manufacturer to do the navigation systems. Or even Microsoft (the Ford Sync system is kick ass). Honda has really lost a step here--they were once the standard.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brizey
Levaquin is about $30 per pill. One of the most expensive widely prescribed drugs.

I haven't quite figured out their pricing. There is simply no way they are selling many of these. If the production price is really low, they could sell 50x by lowering the price to $50 (I would happily pay $50 for the updates). I wonder if they just have a crappy deal from Navtec because their volume is so low compared to someone like Garmin. Maybe they are paying $120 per copy for the Navtec license, while Garmin, who has say 100 times the volume, pays $20 per copy.

I wish that Honda and others would use Garmin or another GPS manufacturer to do the navigation systems. Or even Microsoft (the Ford Sync system is kick ass). Honda has really lost a step here--they were once the standard.
Exactly my sentiments... Honda should have gone with some more widely available GPS nav companies like Garmin.

Actually I have not updated my Navi since 2007, which means it would be about time to do so. But for CAD300.00, I would much rather pay $120, and get a decent up to date 4.3" Garmin GPS with both Canada and US maps loaded.

Or if Honda Canada offers the $300.00 update with firmware update to make our DVD system able to watch movies, that would definitely be acceptable and much welcomed.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that Garmin uses the Navtec database so I am not sure why the identity of the manufacturer would make a difference. Does anyone know what the cost to update the database is for other in car OEM products, such as Lexus, BMW etc?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Racer

SHOULD BE FREE.

I'll NEVER upgrade my disc ever for the price they ask considering our Navigation Option costs $3000!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by portwashguy
I believe that Garmin uses the Navtec database so I am not sure why the identity of the manufacturer would make a difference. Does anyone know what the cost to update the database is for other in car OEM products, such as Lexus, BMW etc?
I would think that volume strongly affects the pricing you get from Navtec. If Garmin buys 20 million licenses a year and Alpine buys 100,000, I would be shocked if Garmin didn't pay significantly less per license. Not saying that this is absolutely the case, or that these numbers are not made up, or even that this is the source of the price disparity. Just throwing an idea out there.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Pro

JMHO
Ignoring the drug comparison for a moment, I realize that there are costs associated with R&D. However, once the coding is done, they have very little ongoing cost - it likely costs PENNIES to reproduce. Therefore, if they sold the darn thing at $50, I suspect you'd have a ton more takers - and probably recoup their costs much more quickly than they probably do now.

Originally Posted by brizey
I would think that volume strongly affects the pricing you get from Navtec. If Garmin buys 20 million licenses a year and Alpine buys 100,000, I would be shocked if Garmin didn't pay significantly less per license. Not saying that this is absolutely the case, or that these numbers are not made up, or even that this is the source of the price disparity. Just throwing an idea out there.
Given that there are Navteq sw packages out there for under $20 - heck even $2.99 iphone apps - I sincerely doubt licensing is an issue here. It certainly wouldn't explain the crazy $185 price tag. I suppose I could be wrong, but it doesn't add up in my mind...

Mike
Old 06-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Ignoring the drug comparison for a moment, I realize that there are costs associated with R&D. However, once the coding is done, they have very little ongoing cost - it likely costs PENNIES to reproduce. Therefore, if they sold the darn thing at $50, I suspect you'd have a ton more takers - and probably recoup their costs much more quickly than they probably do now.

Given that there are Navteq sw packages out there for under $20 - heck even $2.99 iphone apps - I sincerely doubt licensing is an issue here. It certainly wouldn't explain the crazy $185 price tag. I suppose I could be wrong, but it doesn't add up in my mind...

Mike
Yup, I agree with your point about having more takers at $50. But there are two things to consider:

1. Who knows what they pay for the licensing fee to navteq, and the number of vehicles that they sell with Navi, may or may not pay for the licensing fee.

2. As with corporate entities, there is the thing about meeting investor expectations for business profit; so they always have to work on a profit margin that makes sense for their investors. So if they can get away with making 500% profit with selling the update at $300, why would they sell it for anything less just to satisfy the current owners whimp about the high price. This is the real world of cut-throat business, where making the most money is the first goal.
Think about it this way as well, you think the RDX selling at $30,000 is what they actually cost to make it? Of course not... you will be surprised at how much it actually cost to make the car. They don't sell enough RDX's to recoup the cost of R&D and process design, if they sell for much less.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Pro

Yup, I agree with your point about having more takers at $50. But there are two things to consider:

1. Who knows what they pay for the licensing fee to navteq, and the number of vehicles that they sell with Navi, may or may not pay for the licensing fee.

2. As with corporate entities, there is the thing about meeting investor expectations for business profit; so they always have to work on a profit margin that makes sense for their investors. So if they can get away with making 500% profit with selling the update at $300, why would they sell it for anything less just to satisfy the current owners whimp about the high price. This is the real world of cut-throat business, where making the most money is the first goal.
Think about it this way as well, you think the RDX selling at $30,000 is what they actually cost to make it? Of course not... you will be surprised at how much it actually cost to make the car. They don't sell enough RDX's to recoup the cost of R&D and process design, if they sell for much less.
Again, I can't see the Navteq licensing fees being very high, especially if I can buy a PC or phone based Nav app that uses the Navteq db for under 20 bucks. In my experience, prices are based on the market - not on cost. The idea is to produce it at a low enough cost to maximize profit. Again, assuming the Navteq licensing fees are low, it doesn't get much cheaper than stamping out a DVD. So that said, what's the market value?

I agree that they probably don't sell many, so they keep the price high to recoup their development costs. Ok fine...but there is probably a sweet spot where they can attract the volumes to make up for the loss in profit margin and still make back their development expenses. Sounds to me like $185 aint it.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Again, I can't see the Navteq licensing fees being very high, especially if I can buy a PC or phone based Nav app that uses the Navteq db for under 20 bucks. In my experience, prices are based on the market - not on cost. The idea is to produce it at a low enough cost to maximize profit. Again, assuming the Navteq licensing fees are low, it doesn't get much cheaper than stamping out a DVD. So that said, what's the market value?

I agree that they probably don't sell many, so they keep the price high to recoup their development costs. Ok fine...but there is probably a sweet spot where they can attract the volumes to make up for the loss in profit margin and still make back their development expenses. Sounds to me like $185 aint it.

Again, all very valid points... I, like yourself, would very much like to see them sell the update for < $50. But they have their own "reason" for not doing so... And we can complain for all they care, and the price will not drop significantly or at all. I am sure we are not the first ones that complained about the price. Trust me, it is no secret to the Honda corporate folks that there are consumers complaining that their pricing on the DVD update is high.

We end up sounding to these guys, like toddlers whining about not getting what we should be entitled to, a fair "lower" pricing... So the only way to deal with them, don't buy the update, instead, spend that $200 on a decent portable GPS that you can bring from your car to the rental car or the next car you buy. It is not like the roads in north america will suddenly change so much that your on-board GPS becomes useless because you didn't have the update. JMHO
Old 06-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Pro

Again, all very valid points... I, like yourself, would very much like to see them sell the update for < $50. But they have their own "reason" for not doing so... And we can complain for all they care, and the price will not drop significantly or at all. I am sure we are not the first ones that complained about the price. Trust me, it is no secret to the Honda corporate folks that there are consumers complaining that their pricing on the DVD update is high.

We end up sounding to these guys, like toddlers whining about not getting what we should be entitled to, a fair "lower" pricing... So the only way to deal with them, don't buy the update, instead, spend that $200 on a decent portable GPS that you can bring from your car to the rental car or the next car you buy. It is not like the roads in north america will suddenly change so much that your on-board GPS becomes useless because you didn't have the update. JMHO
Agreed.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Agreed.
Solution to the $170 update for the Acura Navi DVD.

Amazon selling - TomTom XXL 540M (Lifetime Maps Edition) 5-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

for only $170! Shipping included! Wow...

With lifetime map updates as well... This is a great deal!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Solution to the $170 update for the Acura Navi DVD.

Amazon selling - TomTom XXL 540M (Lifetime Maps Edition) 5-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

for only $170! Shipping included! Wow...

With lifetime map updates as well... This is a great deal!
I wish you guys would stop whining over the $170. Yes it is not cheap but in so far as I can tell it is comparable to what Lexus etc charge and it is a drop in the bucket compared to the price you paid for your RDX. If you want a portable GPS with the suction cup, cigarette adapter power cord etc. etc. be my guest. I paid the $170 for this year and am enjoying the system. In maybe two years, I'll upgrade again, if I still own the car.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:37 AM
Burning Brakes

I wish you guys would stop whining over the $170. Yes it is not cheap but in so far as I can tell it is comparable to what Lexus etc charge and it is a drop in the bucket compared to the price you paid for your RDX. If you want a portable GPS with the suction cup, cigarette adapter power cord etc. etc. be my guest. I paid the $170 for this year and am enjoying the system. In maybe two years, I'll upgrade again, if I still own the car.
The post was not due to whining... just wanted to present options to those who don't want to pay the USD170 or CAD300 for the DVD update disc.

As I posted before, the roads don't change very much in north america, at least the ones you would use everyday. So the minor updates on the Disc, is it really worth the $170 or $300? To each his own...

If one were to say that the $170 includes software updates to the navi system itself, improve the performance, you actually get free of charge firmware or software updates to your PC, LCD TV, iphone.

I do feel the $170 or $300 for just the map updates is a real "highway" robbery... but these companies can charge what they want because they know they monopolised it, given it is a built-in system...
Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Advanced

The post was not due to whining... just wanted to present options to those who don't want to pay the USD170 or CAD300 for the DVD update disc.

As I posted before, the roads don't change very much in north america, at least the ones you would use everyday. So the minor updates on the Disc, is it really worth the $170 or $300? To each his own...

If one were to say that the $170 includes software updates to the navi system itself, improve the performance, you actually get free of charge firmware or software updates to your PC, LCD TV, iphone.

I do feel the $170 or $300 for just the map updates is a real "highway" robbery... but these companies can charge what they want because they know they monopolised it, given it is a built-in system...

Well put. Sorry for the whining remark. Actually, this year's update is more than a minor one - well worth it to me. It includes a major increase in map coverage - states that had almost no coverage are now well covered. Also the POI database is much updated and expanded. So for this year I felt the $179 was well spent. Next year I will definitely skip it though since it will just be incremental changes.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Banned

There is a big discount through NavTeq right now if you call them direct. Generally a new disc goes for around $280 but they have dropped the price recently as they realized they weren't making any sales off updates. NavTeq 1-888-549-3798
Old 06-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Well put. Sorry for the whining remark. Actually, this year's update is more than a minor one - well worth it to me. It includes a major increase in map coverage - states that had almost no coverage are now well covered. Also the POI database is much updated and expanded. So for this year I felt the $179 was well spent. Next year I will definitely skip it though since it will just be incremental changes.
Yup... I agree.

My system is the Canadian system, which actually has quite a good map coverage already. But the POI in my factory system is a bit outdated, although I can always use my iphone to check out realtime the information from the internet on POI related stuff. Nowadays, restautants, gas stations, general shops go in and out of business so fast, that I am not even sure if the POI updates will ever keep up with it that fast. Plus the place of interests POI, like tourist attractions, generally has been there for the last few decades or so, so not sure if the POI updates mean anything for them.
The most impact is usually with the restaurants, gas stations and groceries (especially asian ones).
Old 06-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Instructor

Are the nav discs not copyable and exchangeable? (eek, sorry for the thought).

Also, as far as the drug company comparison goes, they claim it is R&D, but the reality is rapacious power, greed, dominance in the guise of helping people. (former pharm company marketer).
Old 06-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Cruisin'

Someone just reproduce it. Ill pay for your time and dvd disk.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phineasboggs

Also, as far as the drug company comparison goes, they claim it is R&D, but the reality is rapacious power, greed, dominance in the guise of helping people. (former pharm company marketer).
Yup, I'm in the pharma business and besides recuping the R&D costs, it is mainly to ensure the investors are kept satisfied, and the big bonuses for the execs.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

The lastest version is copy protected and has not been cracked...yet.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Caveat emptor, but I did not realize the updates were $170 or more when I bought the vehicle. I thought they would be more in line with portable updates. The functionality updates should be FREE...just like any other functional (eg TSB) update to a car. For example, the improved rear view camera is a safety issue. They did not have the software correct when they sold the car.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Instructor

How can I tell what edition I have? When I test drove the car, the Nav was missing and "on order." I bought and picked up the car yesterday, and the disk had been installed. How can I tell if it's the updated one?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Advanced

How can I tell what edition I have? When I test drove the car, the Nav was missing and "on order." I bought and picked up the car yesterday, and the disk had been installed. How can I tell if it's the updated one?
You can just eject the disk or go to SETUP - More - System Information.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by eilros
You can just eject the disk or go to SETUP - More - System Information.
Thanks. I'll try the Setup screen first while I'm fiddling. I recall the disk is somewhere around the glove compartment, but didn't find it on cursory examination.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Advanced

Thanks. I'll try the Setup screen first while I'm fiddling. I recall the disk is somewhere around the glove compartment, but didn't find it on cursory examination.
It's behind a panel in the console on the passenger side.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Instructor

1.59.03 20060502 Im NOT a happy camper. Do I have any options or should I just eat it. A five year old system! I have Garmin and a TomTom. But I like the integration with my car. Grrrr.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Pro

1.59.03 20060502 Im NOT a happy camper. Do I have any options or should I just eat it. A five year old system! I have Garmin and a TomTom. But I like the integration with my car. Grrrr.
I posted to your other thread - but if it were me, I'd raise hell. If they promised you a new DVD and told you they ordered it, then they lied to you. There's no way they ordered a 4 year old DVD.

Mike
Old 06-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Thanks Catnip. I believe I DID get a new DVD! (at least it looks new, although people don't spend a lotta time handling them). It sorta like ordering 3-4 year old oil, or putting 4 year old tires! Again, it woulda been good PR to give the the 4.81 and probably cost them very little. Oh well.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

Not Worth It

I just bought the 2016 update and I knew the streets would be updated, but I was soo disappointed to find out that the interface still looks like crap! You'd think, with what they are charging, that they would make the interface look nicer, but they didn't! Waist of 200$!