Lots of issues, low miles. Let it go? Or dump some money?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 02:16 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of issues, low miles. Let it go? Or dump some money?

I’ve enjoyed my RDX. I haven’t put many miles on it. Only at 92k right now. Just went thru the dreaded solenoid troubles. Mine was actually solenoid C. Replaced it with a refurbed solenoid from Japan. When I drained fluid it was actually clean with no metal. But solenoid C was def black with some burnt fluid material around it. Also replaced dual solenoid with just an Amazon one for shits and giggles. I planned to switch back to OEM if I ran into any trouble. I’m sorry i don’t remember the codes and it’s late and this is going to be somewhat of a long post as I have a lot of questions and a lot of problems. Ugh.

After replacing the solenoid (had voltage issue code I believe p0979?) it then threw a code for stuck on/off sorry I can’t remember the numbers! Because it’s gone now!!! Wtf! I did replace the 2 pressure switches that are easiest to get to as well as the fluid. I still need to replace differential fluid as well.

But it recently overheated. I ended up adding water and it has since stopped. I bought Acura brand coolant and have been waiting to save up money to do some maintenance. Or do I just run away while I can?

It often throws all kinds of lights at me when I get on the gas. SH-AWD, VSA, CEL p0226 I believe etc. ugh. The guy I bought it from was a mechanic and had turbo replaced at dealer around 80k mi. But that may have been 4-5yrs ago now. Haven’t driven it much.

It’s kinda been falling apart on me lately and I got screwed by a few mechanics. The battery issue was a major pita. Finally replaced with H/O JS alt and XS Power Batt and rewired some stuff and haven’t had any starting issues.

It sucks I can’t do any upgrades. My IC is literally disintegrating and I want to replace it. But obviously can’t find any ETS IC’s even used. I need to do plugs and coils and want to replace IC at the same time. My question is, are there any universal plate and bar IC’s that would work? What about the Subaru ones? Some of them seem like they would fit? Am I better off just buying a replacement?

My next question is, looking on eBay, all of the replacements look about the same. You have Spectra for $500+ down to some JSD company that is around $165. Is there really much of a difference between them? At this point anything would be an upgrade over mine I believe. I also notice there is this IC quick release clamp? Does that do anything to upgrade anything as far as temps? Is it for looks or convenience or what?

Then there’s the BOV’s. Idk if there’s any point to them other than sound. I know you need to get recirculating, most seem to go with turbo smart. But the car is getting old, all the plastic is due to break I assume at any time. Is it worth upgrading that part without upgrading the turbo?

I feel the same way about the cats and whatnot. I really don’t want to drop $800 for the Magnaflow front cat. They have another set from Canada that is front and rear cat, that look identical to the Magnaflow. They also mention fast and furious etc in the description. Idk if they’re high flow, if anyone has tried them etc. I’m not looking to make this thing into a Fast & Furious vehicle, I just want it to last me as long as possible, without spending a fortune. And from what I can tell, most of these parts are all made overseas anyways even the branded ones, they may have higher quality control and warranties. But are they pieces of junk? Any improvements to power or over OEM?

And lastly, for now anyways. I think I would like to upgrade the trans cooler. Especially if I end up rebuilding trans for $2k yikes. Fml. I’m very torn between dumping 5k into it or running away while I can. Sometimes I get not lights at all and it runs fine. Other times it’s a pos and shifts like crap, dash is like a Xmas tree. I don’t get it. I also have no interior lights. I was looking at all the trans and oil coolers they have and some cool trans and engine oil, and also have a fan on them. Is there any benefit to using these to prolong life of trans? They’re anywhere from $50-$200 depending on the amount of rows.

Stupid body shop broke my fog lights. Tried replacing with leds that plug in perfectly but don’t work. Is there any reason anybody would know why that would be? Do I need a resistor or something? Could it be a fuse? Or do the 07’s just not accept led fogs? They weren’t much money. But still. Why won’t they work? I cleaned connectors and everything. It’s annoying.

Please chime in on any and all topics I’ve mentioned. It’s not easy being a 1G rdx owner nowadays. They don’t make any of the good stuff anymore.

Is it even worth bothering or should I just drive it into the ground and only replace things that are absolutely necessary? I’d like to spend around $5k. $2k would go toward rebuilding trans. From there I’d like to upgrade IC if possible. Idk if any of these eBay parts are worth getting or not, if anyone has any insight plz chime in. Good or bad. Especially if u have experience. Plz don’t just say it’s junk if you have no idea. I’ll try linking some of the parts In talking about.

sorry for the long post and it’s my first post so I apologize to mods for any mistakes I may have made. I’m not associated with any companies or trying to sell any of this crap so plz don’t think I stand behind any of this stuff or am trying to push it on anyone. I don’t even think it’s branded stuff. But anyways here goes.

just found this universal TMIC idk if it’s plate and bar design or whatever it’s called sorry I’m a super noob! But If I have to rebuild trans. I’m expecting 200k out if this car! Otherwise I might just crash it into a wall, and prob die since my airbags prob won’t deploy! The car is killing me! As i said no interior lights work! I’m sure I have that roof rack leak! And my moon roof stopped working also! I plan on removing headliner to rewire! Also no power to my interior outlets! Why is this car such a PITA??? It doesn’t even have that many miles! My leather is now ripping everywhere! Drivers seat won’t recline! It’s turning into a nightmare!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144502460893?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rncty7oproi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=VBYdrr07SB e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142715761890?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=33nly0zSRJ2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=VBYdrr07SB e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235071680746?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=_QpIBigwRhi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=VBYdrr07SB e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Here’s the Cats I mentioned

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175207247601?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=tRyBQqzQSeS&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=VBYdrr07SB e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

how is this one so much more? Am i wrong to think it’s way uglier and looks like cheaper material? The others look stainless to me? Idk super noob like i said. Looking for guidance!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373948451987?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=RGgc_m9cTWO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=VBYdrr07SB e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

obvi Magnaflow looks nice and has good name behind it but $800???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124905891510?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2_JYULmNTMe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=VBYdrr07SB e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

and how is this even possible? Over $2k for a cat? Is this a joke?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364328215413?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=NKjwhXWPQtW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=VBYdrr07SB e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

please help

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193714988828?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=OHRA62GvQXi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=VBYdrr07SB e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225527854311?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2-wG0eguQMm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=VBYdrr07SBe&var=&wid get_ver=artemis&media=COPY

these look pretty cool but I don’t even really know what I’m looking at. I’m not towing or racing. But wouldn’t mind extra ponies or peace of mind. Plus they aren’t too expensive. Do i just get away from this vehicle? It’s fun to drive when it works. I’m going to be taking some time off from work, and will be doing some work myself. It’s an 07 paid off. If i paint the front bumper and screw it up? That’s how you learn. Sand it and try again? Or live with it looking meh.

TIA. I know there’s some pros around here that prob have all the answers looking forward to responses! Xibit! Pimp my ride! Lol

Old 07-17-2023, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
So here is what i would say. Low mileage is good but not great if the trans is going out ontop of the turbo requiring a replacement. I do not know how Honda engines handle overheats, but when i worked on volvo's then one overheat pretty much required a head gasket job.

What do you value the most out of the RDX? The speed, the driving, the size?

I think you are better off parting it out if you got the space. There is very very good money in the turbos and engines of these cars. Case in point look at car-part.com and you will see they fetch a good chunk of change at far higher mileages.

This is reminiscent of a post I put on reliability of the RDX but i would recommend a pilot or something not turbocharged if the budget is a bit tighter.

My partners RDX runs like a nut because of consistent 10k km oil changes, premium gas, and fluid flushes. We have not had issues with the original turbo nor any reported overheats, tranny issues, etc. We have changed some parts and there is a little rust but it not enough to kill it within 5 years.

My recommendation to you would be a Honda pilot in the 2011 body style. They have decent power, great fuel economy, great space. You will not win any races but you can take it off roading (its got great approach and departure angles) and is large enough to camp out of. You can tow boats and even dolly some light cars.

I have lived the "keep my older car running forever" mentality with my last vehicle until it killed itself by ejecting a water pump bearing. Its now in a shed awaiting an engine and sunday drive duties.

Other thing is it could have had an odometer rollback and what you believe is low km is actually far higher.