Looking to Buy an RDX, However...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 08:58 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to Buy an RDX, However...

I'm in the market for a small SUV. I have test driven the RDX and really liked its combination of handeling and utility. I currently own a Infinity G35 and Jeep Liberty. I have two basic questions:

First: I looking to carry two kayaks and if possible two street bicycles in the back at the same time. Is this possible?

The only vehicle in this category that I have found is the XTerra - however it has the drawback of being more hardcore truck than sporty vehicle. While my test drive of the RDX convinced me that the RDX is sporty I'm not sure about its capability to carry bikes- even though the ads say they can.

Second: While I'm not an off roader I do like to get off the pavement to put in at some lakes and bays, which can some times going over muddy dirt roads and open fields. How offroad capable is the RDX?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Racer

This may sound offensive, but it is Infiniti , not infinity . Anyways, nice to see a fellow G owner here as I currently own a G35 coupe, I am also wonder the same things as you are.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
add the weight of everything. if it's 1500lbs then you're good. Acura unofficially assumes the 1500 lbs towing capacity includes full cargo and 5 people in the car. so you have a full load in the RDX plus you're able to pull 1500 lbs. on top of that. I could be wrong and don't come after me when you do try and the tranny melts or the frame bends. lol

That should be something worth researching. I really don't care because I don't plan on installing a hitch but maybe a roof rack one day.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Advanced

I'm still waiting for mine (hopefully getting it this week!), but from my research you should be able to fit two 19" bicycles in the back with the seats folded down (and the front wheels of the bikes off).

This guy explains it hya:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee0-PVPpJrg

Two bikes in the back, plus two kayaks on top (of the roof)... I guess it's possible, just means you'll have to Tetris the rest of your gear in the trunk... I don't think you could fit kayaks in the back unless there are really short ones out there that I'm not familiar with (which is entirely possible).

You can also explore a hitch option which should let you carry two mountain bikes on a trailer-hitch attachment. Some of these contraptions allow for relatively easy access to the hatch.

Also, some light off-roading is possible as evident here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748

however I would highly recommend caution. The RDX is more of an urban vehicle which can accommodate loose, but mostly flat surfaces. I'd estimate it could face the same off-road trials as a Subaru Outback... if that helps clarify things any...

Hope that helps at least a little bit...
Old 01-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

I dont think you are getting two kayaks on the roof. Two bikes on a hitch type bike rack, no problem, but I dunno about the kayaks. You need to decide how often are you really going to need two kayaks...

Here is a pic of the factory kayak rack, and it look like only one fits:

Old 01-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackygor
This may sound offensive, but it is Infiniti , not infinity . Anyways, nice to see a fellow G owner here as I currently own a G35 coupe, I am also wonder the same things as you are.
Big freaking deal - he inadvertently spelled it wrong!

Perhaps those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, genius. After all, "I am also wonder the same things"???

What's wrong with the teenager crowd on this forum anyways?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Originally Posted by Tripp11

Perhaps those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, genius. After all, "I am also wonder the same things"???

X1

Old 01-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
I dont think you are getting two kayaks on the roof. Two bikes on a hitch type bike rack, no problem, but I dunno about the kayaks. You need to decide how often are you really going to need two kayaks...

Here is a pic of the factory kayak rack, and it look like only one fits:

Although I haven't bothered to look, I'm sure that there are some after-market racks that will stack two kayaks keel-to-keel (sideways) .
Old 01-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Here we go... something like this from Yakima:

^ Clicky
Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skeandhu

^ Clicky
Hmmm. Unfortunate that that carrier doesn't provide storage for extra gas cans. You're sure to get 5MPG driving around with a fleet of kayaks on your roof.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by creativeguy
Hmmm. Unfortunate that that carrier doesn't provide storage for extra gas cans. You're sure to get 5MPG driving around with a fleet of kayaks on your roof.
There should be space for gas cans in the back btwn the bicycles and granola bars. (Sorry, had to ) But ya, anything roof-mounted will give a serious hit on the mileage...
Old 01-03-2007, 08:17 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks everyone -- for the info and the pointers -- BTW infinity or infiniti its a Nissan in the rest of the world! Oh and I don't eat granola bars just apples -- I can carry them up front.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:51 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

however I would highly recommend caution. The RDX is more of an urban vehicle which can accommodate loose, but mostly flat surfaces. I'd estimate it could face the same off-road trials as a Subaru Outback... if that helps clarify things any...

Hope that helps at least a little bit...

I have an Outback XT and have been shopping the RDX for months. As far as light offroading, the Outback would be better for sure. It has over 2" more ground clearance than the RDX, and has a long travel suspension -- just what you want for irregular/bumpy surfaces or rutted roads. In contrast, the RDX suspension is more inline with a sports car -- firm -- and does not have very much suspension travel. It's biased to road driving. You'll notice in the RDX offroad pics posted on this site that the RDX is lifting a wheel off the ground in several spots, because the suspension does not have a lot of travel. This could potentially be a liability offroad.

I would encourage a look at the Subaru Outback XT. Very similar to the RDX in power and theme, but a little more rugged with better utility. I have an 05 and it's been a great car for kayaking and skiing. However, if I can get comfortable with the RDX as a kayak/ski vehicle, I will probably get one as I like the handling better. The main difference is that the RDX is much more carlike than the Outback (ironic, since the Outback is based on a car platform and the RDX is a CUV platform). I tend to consider the RDX to be like the "Barbie & Ken" version of the Outback if the made one And yes, I am OK with that!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Advanced

c_hunter - thanks for the clarification. 2" difference in clearance?? I'm actually surprised! Apparently a comparison to a WRX or a Legacy (wagons) might have been more appropriate than my reference to the Outback for off-roading.

Meh. RDX is an urban warrior in my mind anyways.

BXVI - Just messing with ya. My outdoor adventures usually involve motorsports... and mostly watching... so I can't say squat. Like c_hunter said, check out the Outback as well, might fit your requirements better. Good luck with your selection!!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Racer

Wow, why jump on my a$$ like that? It was just a friendly reminder. Take a chill pill mate!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by Jackygor
Wow, why jump on my a$$ like that? It was just a friendly reminder. Take a chill pill mate!
Why? Merely because you NEEDED it...

Ironic that you correct the spelling of "Infiniti" by another poster but yet in that same correcting post you struggle with your own grammar. Nice...

It's a web forum and people are going to type/write on the fly only to exchange information and convey their passion for a certain vehicle. Merely because someone incorrectly spells a word doesn't mean you call someone out on it - you came off like a prick, period.

Want a "friendly reminder"? Next time, take a pass on the guy who inadvertently misspelled Infiniti.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by c_hunter
I have an Outback XT and have been shopping the RDX for months. As far as light offroading, the Outback would be better for sure. It has over 2" more ground clearance than the RDX, and has a long travel suspension -- just what you want for irregular/bumpy surfaces or rutted roads. In contrast, the RDX suspension is more inline with a sports car -- firm -- and does not have very much suspension travel. It's biased to road driving. You'll notice in the RDX offroad pics posted on this site that the RDX is lifting a wheel off the ground in several spots, because the suspension does not have a lot of travel. This could potentially be a liability offroad.

I would encourage a look at the Subaru Outback XT. Very similar to the RDX in power and theme, but a little more rugged with better utility. I have an 05 and it's been a great car for kayaking and skiing. However, if I can get comfortable with the RDX as a kayak/ski vehicle, I will probably get one as I like the handling better. The main difference is that the RDX is much more carlike than the Outback (ironic, since the Outback is based on a car platform and the RDX is a CUV platform). I tend to consider the RDX to be like the "Barbie & Ken" version of the Outback if the made one And yes, I am OK with that!
Another good, informative post c_hunter.

What kind of MPG of real world driving do you see with your XT? My TL lease is up in 6 months and I'm only beginning my search for a replacement but I've browsed the Outbacks.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

^ Clicky
Yeah, we have this same set up on a 99 Camry, for two play boats as pictured, and it works great. We have also used the same setup, plus a rooftop carrier on friend's Toyota Highlander, which I think ends up being wider than the 48" bars used on the Camry. The Highlander has its own roof rack built-in, and you use the Mighty Mounts to attach the Kayak mounts to the OEM Highlander crossbars, instead of the 48" cross bars shown in the picture.

Works great!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:55 AM

Another good, informative post c_hunter.

What kind of MPG of real world driving do you see with your XT? My TL lease is up in 6 months and I'm only beginning my search for a replacement but I've browsed the Outbacks.

Generally, I get 20mpg overall on a regular basis for mixed driving with a 80% highway bias. It has dipped to 19mpg with more city driving, and gone as high as 25mpg for a highway trip. I just got back from a ski trip with a mix of highway and mountain driving, which gave 20mpg on the way there (more uphill) and 22mpg on the way home (more downhill). Not bad. I really hope the RDX will do as well in the mountains.

I find the XT makes a great ski vehicle and is good for mountain driving. I know I would be giving up some deep-snow / offroad capability and utility with the RDX, but the sharper handling would be a plus in the mountains. Both vehicles have turbo-4 engines, which are great in the mountains. My last remaining worry about the RDX is the gas mileage. If it returned similar MPG as the XT in the mountains, I would be happy.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:58 AM

I should also note that the new XT is rated 20/26mpg with the auto trans. My 05 was only rated 19/24mpg. They got a slight boost in MPG with new engine maps.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

Why? Merely because you NEEDED it...

Ironic that you correct the spelling of "Infiniti" by another poster but yet in that same correcting post you struggle with your own grammar. Nice...

It's a web forum and people are going to type/write on the fly only to exchange information and convey their passion for a certain vehicle. Merely because someone incorrectly spells a word doesn't mean you call someone out on it - you came off like a prick, period.

Want a "friendly reminder"? Next time, take a pass on the guy who inadvertently misspelled Infiniti.
yo trippy like jackygor said go take a chillpill man..u like that with everybody? damn
Old 01-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by Rdxowner
yo trippy like jackygor said go take a chillpill man..u like that with everybody? damn
Only immature posters who think they're MTV cool by correcting everyone else and not adding any value to any thread...not to fret, you and jackygor are both on the list.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by c_hunter
Generally, I get 20mpg overall on a regular basis for mixed driving with a 80% highway bias. It has dipped to 19mpg with more city driving, and gone as high as 25mpg for a highway trip. I just got back from a ski trip with a mix of highway and mountain driving, which gave 20mpg on the way there (more uphill) and 22mpg on the way home (more downhill). Not bad. I really hope the RDX will do as well in the mountains.

I find the XT makes a great ski vehicle and is good for mountain driving. I know I would be giving up some deep-snow / offroad capability and utility with the RDX, but the sharper handling would be a plus in the mountains. Both vehicles have turbo-4 engines, which are great in the mountains. My last remaining worry about the RDX is the gas mileage. If it returned similar MPG as the XT in the mountains, I would be happy.
Thanks again for the info. Subaru makes a fine car, in my opinion, and their AWD technology is legendary.

Last night I drove the Outback XT and tried to compare to the RDX I drove last Saturday - as far as handling goes, the RDX felt much better going thru the curves than the Outback. Without driving them back to back on the same day, it's tough to determine straightline speed/quickness off the line but they both felt very similar.

In the end, it will probably come down to handling and the familiarity with Acura (I also have a TL now) - the RDX will probably win out.

Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:10 AM

Glad you got to test drive. Yeah, they are very similar as far as acceleration. The RDX has less lag, but the XT engine is stronger down low (before turbo kicks in) so it's like six of one to a half dozen of another. RDX has significantly sharper handling, and is more composed in corners. Of course, it does ride harder than the XT and will be less capable offroad. But given the huge bias to on-road driving we all do, I generally give offroad capabilities less weight (that said, the ground clearance of the XT has saved my bacon a couple times).

An in-between vehicle would be the Subaru Legacy GT wagon -- same overall as the Outback XT but has a lower ride height and a sport suspension. I may ultimately shop the Legacy GT in addition to the RDX, since the Subarus are a little longer inside and better for skis and other gear (RDX is 8-10" shorter in overall cargo length than the Subarus, unfortunately).

A recent plus in the RDX column is that the average street price for a base has dropped to around $30500 now, and the latest financing deal is very good. Compared to a few months ago, it's now a lot more competitive in terms of pricing, to the point where it's on par with the Subarus.