just got an '07 RDX, i have a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got an '07 RDX, i have a couple of questions

i didn't realize, but i joined the forums a while back when i had my TSX, and totally forgot.

anyway, got an RDX w/ Tech Pkg today, and i have a few questions....

- in order to install the USA-SPEC iPod/iPhone link, should i just follow the directions at https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.c...xmusiclink.pdf (the musiclink install) or do i need to remove part of the nav unit as well?

- in order to keep the traffic/etc, do i have to keep the entire XM subscription?

- i noticed that the nav has a Calendar function. does anyone use this? is there any way to sync Outlook calendars to this? that would be ama-zing.

- i have an iPhone 3GS, so the AcuraLink won't work. does anyone know of a workaround? jailbroken iphone maybe?

btw, pics to follow
Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Sorry if this will disappoint you, but:

- I suggest you DON'T install the acuralink, it's crap...You cannot see what you are playing on the screen and once your Ipod is connected you don't have control of the device manually. The Acuralink was very attractive to me, until I started using it. FWIW I use my IPOD connecting it to the aux plug, I only use the other to charge when needed. I don't have an Iphone and hope that this answer helps.

- I am almost sure you do....it's like $3/mo on top of the XM

- I used the Calendar function to mark my anniversary and have a happy anniversary message for my wife....took me 5 minutes to set that up.....not worth it either. No, there is no sincro.....

If you were expecting to get good use of the tech package you wasted the money. I have had my car for over two years now, the only things I used from the tech package are the navigation functions, and even that is not that user friendly. To enter a street you need to spell letter by letter ......I am sure that there are expert users out there, but for my money, the next time I would get the base model and spend the extra money in an aftermarket navi unit
Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
dont bother with the acuralink, it sucked so much and doesnt work that acura stopped offering it by the 2008 model year. run it thru the aux instead
Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Sorry if this will disappoint you, but:

- I suggest you DON'T install the acuralink, it's crap...You cannot see what you are playing on the screen and once your Ipod is connected you don't have control of the device manually. The Acuralink was very attractive to me, until I started using it. FWIW I use my IPOD connecting it to the aux plug, I only use the other to charge when needed. I don't have an Iphone and hope that this answer helps.

- I am almost sure you do....it's like $3/mo on top of the XM

- I used the Calendar function to mark my anniversary and have a happy anniversary message for my wife....took me 5 minutes to set that up.....not worth it either. No, there is no sincro.....

If you were expecting to get good use of the tech package you wasted the money. I have had my car for over two years now, the only things I used from the tech package are the navigation functions, and even that is not that user friendly. To enter a street you need to spell letter by letter ......I am sure that there are expert users out there, but for my money, the next time I would get the base model and spend the extra money in an aftermarket navi unit
thanks for the info. i didn't plan on getting the acuralink, since it's not compatible with the iPhone. i was asking about how to remove the radio in order to install the USA-SPEC thing, which would apparently do text display, etc.

as for "expecting to get good use of the tech package" and "you wasted the money".... i'll never understand why people say things like this on internet forums. am i supposed to be like "hey thanks, i'm glad to know you think i wasted my money" ?

anyway - it's a shame my iphone won't work. would be cool if i could sync iCal --> the car's calendar.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:18 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by gui3
thanks for the info. i didn't plan on getting the acuralink, since it's not compatible with the iPhone. i was asking about how to remove the radio in order to install the USA-SPEC thing, which would apparently do text display, etc.

as for "expecting to get good use of the tech package" and "you wasted the money".... i'll never understand why people say things like this on internet forums. am i supposed to be like "hey thanks, i'm glad to know you think i wasted my money" ?

anyway - it's a shame my iphone won't work. would be cool if i could sync iCal --> the car's calendar.
First of all, I don't think that you will get anything on the screen of the pre-2010 models........So, I don't really know what you are referring to.....But if you make it work, please let us know how.

If you don't want to hear what other people think, then don't ask questions or post thread on public forums, that's the price you pay . And yes, a "thanks" would be nice.....if you had posted the question BEFORE you purchased the car, we could have saved you money.......

I believe that the 2010 model does pull out your contact information from the phone via bluetooth...but I don't think that it does anything else......
Old 01-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Cruisin'

First of all, I don't think that you will get anything on the screen of the pre-2010 models........So, I don't really know what you are referring to.....But if you make it work, please let us know how.

If you don't want to hear what other people think, then don't ask questions or post thread on public forums, that's the price you pay . And yes, a "thanks" would be nice.....if you had posted the question BEFORE you purchased the car, we could have saved you money.......

I believe that the 2010 model does pull out your contact information from the phone via bluetooth...but I don't think that it does anything else......
i'm happy with the tech package purchase. thank you for your opinion.

i'm reading up on the USA Spec iPod interface.
product page - http://usaspec.com/product.php?Produ...eShowProduct=1
here's the product page on crutchfield - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA15...=detailed_info
"iPod Text: The Artist name and song title text can be displayed on the radio when using the Folder control mode."

here's a video of it on a 2007 TL, displaying iPod track names: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f8SC9HCwYc
Old 01-09-2010, 09:54 AM
StayAtHomeDad

i'm happy with the tech package purchase. thank you for your opinion.

i'm reading up on the USA Spec iPod interface.
product page - http://usaspec.com/product.php?Produ...eShowProduct=1
here's the product page on crutchfield - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA15...=detailed_info
"iPod Text: The Artist name and song title text can be displayed on the radio when using the Folder control mode."

here's a video of it on a 2007 TL, displaying iPod track names: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f8SC9HCwYc
You just don't get it.....it doesn't work like that for the 07 RDX.....and I believe that applies to all the 07-09 models....

BTW, great that you are happy with your purchase......

I am also happy with mine, but don't think it was worth the extra money....
Old 01-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Cruisin'

You just don't get it.....it doesn't work like that for the 07 RDX.....and I believe that applies to all the 07-09 models....

BTW, great that you are happy with your purchase......

I am also happy with mine, but don't think it was worth the extra money....
have you actually seen that it doesn't work? other threads seem to indicate that text display works with these adapters.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:21 AM
StayAtHomeDad

have you actually seen that it doesn't work? other threads seem to indicate that text display works with these adapters.
I have one in my car!!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

I have one in my car!!!!
okay! that is what i needed to know.

knowing this, i have another idea for the iphone. i'll try it out and post back here with results
Old 01-09-2010, 10:36 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Said that in my first reply....
Old 01-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Cruisin'

Said that in my first reply....
you said you had acuralink and an iPod, not USA-spec and an iphone
Old 01-09-2010, 03:05 PM
StayAtHomeDad

you said you had acuralink and an iPod, not USA-spec and an iphone
I apologize then because I thought that we were talking about the same thing....I just looked at the USAspec thing and have no clue of how or if it works.....I think you are the first one to try it, so go ahead and let us know if it does.......
BTW, how much does that cost?