JD Power

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
JD Power

...for what its worth

"Among Acura models, the turbocharged RDX crossover SUV was the top ranked Entry Premium Crossover/SUV according to J.D. Power and Associates results while the TL performance luxury sedan ranked second overall in the Entry Premium Car segment."

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=5483
Old 07-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I don't put much faith in JD Power. The believability of their results is compromised by their business model. In a nutshell, they work for Acura (and the other manufacturers), not for you.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my RDX, but in all honestly Acura is not doing Nearly enough to separate themselves from lesser competition.

For instance, my friend just bought a fully loaded Ford Edge with everything you could think of including the 20inch rims. Sticker on his car was the SAME as my RDX, but wait, he also got free maintenance for 3 years!

NOW I know you all are going to argue "that is a totally different car, and SH-AWD...ect."

But I'm telling you it is every bit as nice as my RDX, and the fit and finish are even better in some places. SURE it isn't as "sporty" of a ride and yes, the AWD system cannot be compared....but seriously....Acura has to step up their game because EVERY OTHER COMPANY is doing it and offering more and more quality for less money!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:31 PM
big shot.

i understand what you are saying, but disagree with the Ford comparison

acura needs to deliver, i dont think service is where they need it, they need a better product to compete with foreign competition, the ford edge may be a good choice for those that buy domestic, but i dont even think it will be considered with higher scale brands, ever..not even the 2011 sport that is north of 40k.

american stickers are BALLOONS and in most cases sell for much less, which is why their value is in the toilet, i bought my CX-7 GT which had a sticker for 33k n change for 26,500, WHEN IT CAME OUT. regardless of what is printed on a ford sticker or most domestic cars, that is def not what the car is worth nor what to expect

acura needs a more robust product & some better designs, they do that, they will be fine. they deliver where most brands do not and thats certainly reliablity and resale, ford may cover your maintenance unfortunately the car is worth 3 dollars after a few years
Old 07-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^ I have to agree with you. Domestics, for the most part, are overpriced and do not have comparable quality in person compared to a lot of imports. On paper, they tend to look pretty good, but I am always underwhelmed when I actually see them in person.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Racer

I think Acura is sleeping at the swtich and Domestics are starting to catch them.

To me...an Acura, Infiniti, ect should be FAR AND ABOVE any Ford. But right now there isn't enough difference between them.

The Fully loaded Edge give the RDX a run for its money! I don't want to believe it...but I now do.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 PM
big shot.

have you DRIVEN THE EDGE? it drives like a bus, weighs in over 4k lbs and is nothing, NOTHING like an RDX. i cant find any reviews of the 2011, but what i can tell u is that the 2010 STOPPED LIKE A BUS, drove like a bus, was cheap as hell inside with hard hard plastics in many areas, the seats were like sofa cushions, reminds me of every other ford ive been in in my life - no memory what so ever. My good friend has one and im in it alot and have also driven it, its the top model. no thanks, not even close. i wont even hit on the transmission.

all that said, the 2011 may be better - but to get the real deal, no way would i throw down over 30k for one of em, ever....and on top of it all the thing is huge and has less space than a rav 4 with the seats down
Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Racer

Not saying it is close in drivability, but the quality of the interior of the Acura RDX leaves LOTS to be desired. Talk about plastics!

All I'm saying is that if I spend 38K on an Acura I expect top notch 9-10. Right now I think we are all letting Acura get away with above average 7-8. The 2010 and 2011 RDX have done nothing to improve over the 2009. And my 2009 only had minor tweeks at best.

The point being is that Acura made the RDX in 07 and for 5 years don't NOTHING to improve it, yet they still ask 38k for a loaded one. That to me is not cutting edge...that is lazy on their behalf.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:38 PM
big shot.

i agree fully with your above post, just the edge comparison is way off - yes the RDX has a ton of plastic, yes i think its not as premium as it should be - but even its plastics are much nicer than the ford, they are softer, better color & texture and better finish

and first and foremost yes i think the rdx tech sticker is too high, if you think about it, back when it first came out? WAYYYYYY more justified - in 2006 to get the ELS 1st gen, that nav & BT - yea 37k no prob, NOW? base model is the best value by far imo, unless someone is grabbing a super deal like the 09 tech pkgs selling for 32k in certain places
Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MMike1981
i agree fully with your above post, just the edge comparison is way off - yes the RDX has a ton of plastic, yes i think its not as premium as it should be - but even its plastics are much nicer than the ford, they are softer, better color & texture and better finish

and first and foremost yes i think the rdx tech sticker is too high, if you think about it, back when it first came out? WAYYYYYY more justified - in 2006 to get the ELS 1st gen, that nav & BT - yea 37k no prob, NOW? base model is the best value by far imo, unless someone is grabbing a super deal like the 09 tech pkgs selling for 32k in certain places
ok, im relatively new to this forum (and to acura, for that matter - with the rdx my first acura -- but have owned hondas before) but per what ive gathered speaking with honda, they did indicate that they want to improve acura image (eg. "not just a souped up interior accord = tsx"). and they claim zdx, mdx, and tl as the start of a new "trend". i havent personally driven or really looked in the interior of these vehicles -- but is acura heading in the right direction with these 3 makes? i think so based on your comments here or the sales of the vehicle (eg. mdx). but you guys might have a different view. rdx, for me personally, was a bit "overpriced" on a standalone basis - but i love the car on test drive and even more so now. on a "relative" basis vs GLK and Audi Q5, i'd say you get what you pay for (eg. Q5 is even more overpriced, GLK - nah - prolly built on plymouth platform fm daimler chrysler days LOL). let's just hope acura does the right thing with the new RDX (or whatever it will be called) and the new TSX's in the future

Last edited by stoxxsp500; 07-14-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Racer

In my eyes Acura is not living up to what they claim. Their Price vs Performance used to be very very good...now they are middle of the pack.

I agree that in 07 38K for a RDX Tech was fair for what you got at that time. To continue to ask the same price and NOT change a thing is insane. By today's standards the RDX tech should sticker for 32-34k at most!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 AM
big shot.

Acura had its own niche, usually not 40, and could buy in under 30 easily, got you a really nice legend that was NOT an accord, etc etc back in the day. now, that is gone. cars that cost less have more, cars that cost the same are better, and cars costing more are much better. thats what happens when you bet the farm on shawd and 'technology'. I really think Acura, given their continuing restitance to develop anything over a V6 shows where they are at powerplant wise; keep shoving down the same stuff. powerplants are obviously NOT a priorty, at least they havent been. Even honda employs cylinder deactivation, where is that in Acura? They need to get power and mpg down, which they def tried in the new MDX but that could possibly be due to the 6 speed and nothing special with the engine.

What will put Acura in the right direction is consistent devel/redevel in that many many models from higher level brands have ongoing and continuous improvements, options etc...if you think about it the RDX was a vehicle that was probably in development in 2004...the 2011 is out and its the same.

Acura has the chance to be the leader again - when the RDX came out there was really nothing on the market - X3, LandRover ?? - now they have more models to rip apart than ever before and come out with something class leading again. I hope they dont f it up.