Inner CV joint information

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:59 PM
DCS
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Inner CV joint information

My FWD 2010 Acura RDX with 94K miles on it developed av ibration when accelerating and was most noticeable around 30mph. I did read this is likely caused by the inner CV joint, which is a vibration only symptom occurringduring accelerating so this is where I looked first. No problems with any ofthe boots, all were in good condition.
When checking the front axles there didn’t seem to be much play in the inner CV joint and I didn’t notice a problem with vibration when on jack stands and watching the axles while the car was in drive and spinning thefront wheels. The brakes needed to be applied lightly to simulate a load whileacceleration to notice the vibration. With the brakes applied and some throttlethe shaking was visible but difficult to tell which side. I even block each wheel from spinning but stillcouldn’t determine which side.
The passenger side axle inner cv joint seemed to haveslightly more play in it than the driver side so I replaced the passenger sidefirst. This didn’t help, I could still feel and see the vibration. The driverside axle was on backorder so I bought just the inner cv joint from the dealer andreplaced it, which did fix the vibration.
Here are the things I learned…
The vibration is caused by a pitted area in the channelwhere the 3 rollers slide back and forth as the axle rotates or suspensionmoves up or down. The inner cv joint is a plunge joint and allows for a changein axle length during suspension movement. There are 3 rollers and threechannels in the cv pot where rollers can slide in or out to accommodate a changein axle length. This info I was able to find on theinternet.
Here’s what’s a little trickier and hard to find info on; when the axle is at an angle, even the slightest angle, the rollers have tomove back and forth in the channel as the axle rotates and this is important toknow because this has to do with the vibration when there’s a pitted area inthe pot of the cv joint. If there is a pitted worn area in the channel theroller will bind in this area under the load of acceleration and this pushesthe axle side to side because the roller can’t slide in the channel. I noticedthis side to side movement in the transmission when I had the car on jackstands. You can also feel in the car. It’s not an up and down shaking like atire being out of balance.
You can’t tell this is the problem with the cv joint is onthe car, there’s little to no play detectable in the joint. My inner cv joint didn’t have a large worn,pitted area either, it’s quite surprising how such a small worn area could causesuch a large vibration but it does. I only replaced the inner cv joint to fixhe problem.
I have read people still have problems withaftermarket axles replacement and I would be willing to bet the inner cv jointneeds to be replaced with new parts and wasn’t during the rebuild.