How to make the RDX more aggressive looking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:07 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to make the RDX more aggressive looking.

I know that there is a front underbody spoiler....but aside from that does anyone have any tips or the desire to make their RDX have a more aggressive stance?

Any suggestions? I'm not looking to lower the car or any of that...but I for one are big on wheels. With all these new CUVs coming to the market (Porshe, Benz, BMW, Audi) I believe that mostly the German manufacturers are the ones that suit their cars with big nice looking aggressive wheels.

What rim size would look best on the RDX? and tire width? 245 and 19"?
Tried looking at the wheel thread...but didnt see too much that I liked.

A downfall is also that bigger wheels show off the less than desirable size of the brake discs....
Old 04-18-2008, 11:32 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
gotta get the front spoiler, and possibly running boards. from the side without running boards, the truck looks pretty skimpy and u can see all the exposed exhaust pieces etc. i hated that. after the front spoiler and running boards, get 19's or higher, you want to fill the lateral gap in the wheel well, not so much the drop.....the rdx drop is pretty decent @stock, just need get rims that push the tires out from the smushed in stock look.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

I agree with MMike, you should get the front and rear pieces and the running boards. I personally went with 20's with a 245/40
http://jasijay.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!71633DDA319A248E!194
Old 04-18-2008, 11:55 AM
10th Gear

Hmm how is the ride in the 20s? Bumpy?
Anyone recommend installing side boards and front bumper yourself?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:04 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
in my opinion, i would start with dressing the exterior first, then rims...but thats just me. rims without the add on pieces still looks good but the overall look seemed weak to me, i hate the pitched up stock nose.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDX22
Hmm how is the ride in the 20s? Bumpy?
Anyone recommend installing side boards and front bumper yourself?
The tire I chose is not a low Profile and is rated for comfort and drivability so actualy the ride is even smoother and softer now.

The rear you can do yourself easily but the front was a PITA....
Old 04-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Wheels make the car....and the RDX has perhaps the ugliest stock wheels I have ever seen. I could not wait to get them off the car. Their color is a "brake dust gray" color, always looking dirty, and they did not fill the wheel wells axially. So, I looked for a bright wheel (not chrome, just a nice bright silver) and one with less offset (numerically). I ended up with TSW Montage in 18x8 with a 40mm offset (compared to 45 stock). This punched the wheels out 1/4" (would have liked more) and brightened the look of the ride tremendously. I'll post some pics as soon as it quits raining....uggh.

My recommendation is to start with new wheels and even 18's will look good (and you do not have to buy new tires) IMHO.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Patronus
Wheels make the car....and the RDX has perhaps the ugliest stock wheels I have ever seen. I could not wait to get them off the car. Their color is a "brake dust gray" color, always looking dirty, and they did not fill the wheel wells axially. So, I looked for a bright wheel (not chrome, just a nice bright silver) and one with less offset (numerically). I ended up with TSW Montage in 18x8 with a 40mm offset (compared to 45 stock). This punched the wheels out 1/4" (would have liked more) and brightened the look of the ride tremendously. I'll post some pics as soon as it quits raining....uggh.

My recommendation is to start with new wheels and even 18's will look good (and you do not have to buy new tires) IMHO.
I'd love to see what those wheels look like man. I agree that the stocks are fugly, but I blew money on snow tires, so I gotta save up again before replacing them.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Instructor

My New Wheels

OK, it finally stopped raining for, like, 2 hours here, so here are some photos of my
new wheels:

Old 04-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Old 04-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Instructor

OK, it stopped raining here for about 2 hours and I snapped these:

Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Instructor

The wheels are nice, but without the front spoiler the car doesn't look very aggressive. The front end isn't fierce enough.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aggressive?

People, You purchased a compact SUV. I did too. I do not think you can make it something it is not. If an aggressive looking car was your goal - I think you swung and missed. The RDX is very nice as it is and is what is supposed to be- a entry to the luxury CUV market.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:02 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink Grrrrr baby very GrrRrRrrrrrRRrrrr...

I don't know about you MN matt but my DWP RDX looks aggressive from the front and back. I do have the front spoiler, running boards, rear diffusor and roof rack. I feel that the aggressivness has a lot to do with the color of the vehicle, the white and black have to be the sportiest colors available on the RDXturbo to date...
Old 04-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Intermediate

yeah I have to agree with you VeNeNo.....the RDX IS A "SPORT" UV and CAN and DOES look agressive. So what we bought an SUV it can still made to look Bad Azz!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

I know,l I know...

Originally Posted by JasiJay
yeah I have to agree with you VeNeNo.....the RDX IS A "SPORT" UV and CAN and DOES look agressive. So what we bought an SUV it can still made to look Bad Azz!
I do not mean to offend-- I think it is a great looking vehicle-- Mine is black w/ the 19" "chrome" Acura option wheels, tech, roof rack. I just mean if I were to get a aggressive SUV-- I would have chosen a Cayenne or x5 for a speedy one or a Hummer for a tough looking one. My other car is aggressive --6.0 GTO
Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MN Matt
I do not mean to offend-- I think it is a great looking vehicle-- Mine is black w/ the 19" "chrome" Acura option wheels, tech, roof rack. I just mean if I were to get a aggressive SUV-- I would have chosen a Cayenne or x5 for a speedy one or a Hummer for a tough looking one. My other car is aggressive --6.0 GTO
if i had that kind of money, i would probably get a cayenne too. But the RDX is not to shabby for around 30k
Old 04-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MN Matt
X5 is not aggressive looking. I've yet to see a BMW SUV that looks aggressive.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:01 AM
ddb
Instructor

I think that de-badging the rear of the car lends to a more aggressive look. Specifically, I'm referring to the "ACURA" lettering, the "RDX" lettering, and the other lettering on the lower-right side of the cargo hatch. Also gives the car a more "stealth" look which I like.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ddb
I think that de-badging the rear of the car lends to a more aggressive look. Specifically, I'm referring to the "ACURA" lettering, the "RDX" lettering, and the other lettering on the lower-right side of the cargo hatch. Also gives the car a more "stealth" look which I like.

I don't see how removing a badge or lettering makes the car look more aggressive. That won't change the cars lines, grill, wheels or profile. If anything, de-badging makes it seem like the owner is ashamed of the brand, that he wants other drivers to think he might be driving something different than what he is. That's what I think every time I see a de-badged vehicle. Funny, I never see de-badged Mercedes, Porsches, Ferraris and BMWs. People want it in your face what they're driving. I can see Oldsmobile owners wanting to debadge.

Acura buyers should be proud to display Acura and RDX to other drivers. You're not fooling anybody. If you want people to wonder if you're driving a BMW or Porsche you should've bought one. Stop being ashamed of your Acura!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:24 AM
ddb
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
Acura buyers should be proud to display Acura and RDX to other drivers. You're not fooling anybody. If you want people to wonder if you're driving a BMW or Porsche you should've bought one. Stop being ashamed of your Acura!
Why the bold, and why the hostility??

While I agree that de-badging is often done to disguise a "lesser" model, that was hardly my motivation in my suggestion. I personally think that removing badging makes the car look cleanier, stealthier, and more aggressive. If I owned a Honda Civic DX, I'd debadge it, and if I owned a Mercedes SL63 AMG, I'd debadge it.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

badge delete is a Porsche option

I don't see how removing a badge or lettering makes the car look more aggressive. That won't change the cars lines, grill, wheels or profile. If anything, de-badging makes it seem like the owner is ashamed of the brand, that he wants other drivers to think he might be driving something different than what he is. That's what I think every time I see a de-badged vehicle. Funny, I never see de-badged Mercedes, Porsches, Ferraris and BMWs. People want it in your face what they're driving. I can see Oldsmobile owners wanting to debadge.

Badge delete is a common Porsche option - there are many the do not want anything on the beautiful butt of a Porsche - be it a Boxster or 911. Many change the badge to the number designation ie: 986 for a 1997-2004 boxster or 996/ 997 for a 911 carrera. I never de-badged, but I made the badge the color of the car. As for a Ferrari -- No badge needed. If you do not know what it is - it has fallen on blind eyes.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Advanced

I can see Oldsmobile owners wanting to debadge.

Or Saturn owners?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

I agree with DDB....for those that like it, there is no shame in debadging an Acura. Most people identify the car by the logo anyway...not the RDX/SHAWD lettering on the back. Not to mention the logo on the front, logos on the wheels (if you have stock), etc.

Frankly, Plainsman, I'm surprised that of all the people here you would be the one saying not to debadge since you are the one that always pledges non-loyalty and all that. So if you only care what it means to you and not what other people think, what does it matter if it says Acura on the car or not?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Intermediate

I think Debadging the truck does make it look more agressive and give it that air of Mystiqu
I have had a lot of people approach me and ask what I am driving. They know that it is an Acura but not sure what kind

Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JasiJay
I think Debadging the truck does make it look more agressive and give it that air of Mystiqu
I have had a lot of people approach me and ask what I am driving. They know that it is an Acura but not sure what kind

Mystique? Maybe. How does not knowing the model make it more aggressive? That's all in your mind.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Meat Popsicle

I don't see how removing a badge or lettering makes the car look more aggressive. That won't change the cars lines, grill, wheels or profile. If anything, de-badging makes it seem like the owner is .....
driving. I can see Oldsmobile owners wanting to debadge.

I got the idea to debadge from BMWs that I saw on the road.
I only do it because I think the Acuras are a bit chatty. After all this one has 4 pieces of flair on the back. And in the end, the Acura logo in the center looks nice on its own.
I don't feel that I am displaying anything to anyone. You do?
How sad.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Meat Popsicle

I do agree that the wheels are very pedestrian. But not enought to spend cash on new ones. Plus, I have had some nasty experiences with very low profile wheels in the past.
Potholes here , you know. Ride is harsher, too.

I like the change in the offset on the black rdx in the photos. I always thought the wheels sit just a bit too far inward , when viewed from the back.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Intermediate

Mystique? Maybe. How does not knowing the model make it more aggressive? That's all in your mind.
Well have you SEEN an RDX DeBadged? You don't think it makes the rear look more sporty and agressive? all those RDX badges take away from the back.
take a peek and see for yourself (P.G.2)

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...7285#post37285
Old 04-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Meat Popsicle

Of course it is all in his mind. The car is an inanimate object. It in its own nature cannot be aggressive. The driver can be aggressive. The car can only “look” aggressive, and that translates to a perception by the viewer.

What you really mean to say is that he is wrong in his perception and you are right.

And of course, since there is no defined standard for what someones perception or interpretation of what aggresive looking is, you are in fact the one who is wrong.

Just having fun plainsman.