Honda's "earth dreams" tech

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:44 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Honda's "earth dreams" tech

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1017152

i guess Honda's silence over the last however many years wasnt such a bad thing???
Old 11-30-2011, 07:44 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
yay!

I've been thinking it's about time for the Prelude to return. Thats where Honda always tried new performance tech.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
Maybe the all new RDX will have the turbo diesel option a few years down the road? I would not mind a hybrid turbo diesel RDX that was around 30-32 city and 35-38 hwy with the new 7AT. Just don't make it cost +$45,000 to save $2 bucks at the pump.

I think I would be more enthusiastic about all this green or earth technology if it was cheaper to own and operate compared to the old dirty brown tech. I just don’t get spending $5,000-$15,000 more for green tech that takes 10-15 years to break even compared to the old stuff.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 AM
big shot.

given Hondas ability, track record and reputation for keeping cost increases minimal, especially while introducing new technology - where did you come up with any of those numbers? A great example would be the modest improvements for the 2012 TL & MDX. Barely saw a price change w/new transmissions, gearing, improved & better equipment etc. Whose to say what this stuff costs, for Hondas purposes that is. Also, although it is new technology, when Honda brings something to the market, its usually the most reliable iteration going. If there would be ANYONE id give "green" money to, it would be Honda. Although they are late to the game, you would like to believe its tried, tested and true when they bring it. What Honda seems to be attempting is to bring big power numbers to the table with existing or better fuel economy. I dont care wtf it may cost, if they are putting out an engine with a total HP of 330/340, with a rear biased assist & superior electronic SHAWD that puts out 30mpg+? thats crazy and id take it.

ive said on this board since my first days. If acura makes a smaller MDX in the RDX, and complement it with ANY of the things listed above, and bring it in under 45k loaded? WHATS NOT TO LOVE? its still cheaper than most of the competition, and since many shop Acura for reliability, value etc (however you want to define those terms) then everyone has to put their money where their mouth is because in my eyes, Acura would be delivering exactly what we want. If you bought the RDX because of a powerplant over a CRV, its time to reconsider the CRV and weed out the below 40k crowd. at the end of the day, many ppl bought the RDX because it was the cheapest and then tend to justify the RDX against its much better competition, say what you want after that.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:21 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
I came up with the number because a Ford Escape Hybrid gets around 32-34 mpgs for city driving. VW sells a 2.0L turbo diesel with 6AT in Europe that get around 35-38 hwy miles. Acura/Honda can put the hybrid tech (improve 0-30 times, use electronic sh-awd, start/stop tech, etc...) with the Honda 2.2L TD and you get 32city/36 hwy with a 7AT for the 2015 Hybrid turbo diesel RDX. I would love to get 550-600 miles per tank of gas in my 2015 RDX instead of 300-325 miles in my 2008 RDX.

I'm not sure why the North American market is so afraid to invest more into diesel and diesel/hybrid vehicles? Diesel/hybrid combo seems to be a better choice compared to gasoline/hybrid.

My next vehicle will be a MDX. I have time to wait to see if the new engine tech will enhance the Acura line up.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 AM
big shot.

oh oh...i wasnt talking MPG there, meant $$$ for Hondas technology, im sure you were just throwing out random numbers from other companies tho.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I'm not sure why the North American market is so afraid to invest more into diesel and diesel/hybrid vehicles? Diesel/hybrid combo seems to be a better choice compared to gasoline/hybrid.
I agree mrgold. I had a 2005 jeep liberty with 4 cyl turbo diesel motor and fell in love with it. I loved the torque, going 600 miles between fill ups, towing a decent sized trailer, grew to love the clatter, and really loved passing a pack of bicyclers leaving them in a cloud of black smoke.

That said, I hated that the dealership did not know how to work on it and that the parts were scarce or not available.

I can only imagine how much more refined a Honda diesel would be compared to that Jeep. If that Jeep diesel could get 30 MPG, and it consistently did, I would be ecstatic with that kind of mileage in my RDX. If I could just tow my utility trailer with the RDX, it would be the perfect vehicle for me, and I could get rid of my old honda pilot beater
Old 12-01-2011, 05:06 PM
big shot.

at one point im pretty sure Honda had the diesel CRV coming here in the last gen but cancelled it. too bad.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
Acura had its own niche, usually not 40, and could buy in under 30 easily, got you a really nice legend that was NOT an accord, etc etc back in the day. now, that is gone. cars that cost less have more, cars that cost the same are better, and cars costing more are much better. thats what happens when you bet the farm on shawd and 'technology'. I really think Acura, given their continuing restitance to develop anything over a V6 shows where they are at powerplant wise; keep shoving down the same stuff. powerplants are obviously NOT a priorty, at least they havent been. Even honda employs cylinder deactivation, where is that in Acura? They need to get power and mpg down, which they def tried in the new MDX but that could possibly be due to the 6 speed and nothing special with the engine.

What will put Acura in the right direction is consistent devel/redevel in that many many models from higher level brands have ongoing and continuous improvements, options etc...if you think about it the RDX was a vehicle that was probably in development in 2004...the 2011 is out and its the same.

Acura has the chance to be the leader again - when the RDX came out there was really nothing on the market - X3, LandRover ?? - now they have more models to rip apart than ever before and come out with something class leading again. I hope they dont f it up.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 PM
big shot.

what comes after the comma? LOL jesus christ buddy. and, that statement still remains true, even given the news, till honda puts it on the market. not sure what the point of going thru my old posts was for, in fact, you just proved many of my points till the new model(s) are revealed.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:27 PM
big shot.

and...how much of the market has Acura wasted because thye have sat on their hands for so long? nothing in my above quote would i take back, even today. The earth tech is strides in the right direction for honda, albeit very very late. But still, the RDX is and has been a vehicle that for the most part, has not been touched since it debuted. So, in regards to that, they are FINALLY updating the thing, with what basically should have been brought to the market years ago. On one hand i trust hondas tech when it comes to the market, and im sure it will be something, on the other, they have fallen off SO BAD that it better be something great and dramatic to put acura actually into buying consideration for people who jumped ship long ago.

Unfortunately, i looked on the forum not logged in and saw you quote a post of mine from whenever, or else, as usual, you remain on the block list. so awful.