Glad I got the FX 35

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad I got the FX 35

I was holding out for the RDX this summer, but went with my first choice and sentimental favorite, a Infiniti FX 35 loaded to the gills. It MSRP'ed at 49, but I got it for 45 + Tax and lic, so about 6-7 grand more than the RDX. It is a better crossover, with more features, and sportier feel and ride, a better engine, and far better appearance.

I am glad I did not wait. The prototype of the RDX was hot; the production model is not. It is boring and will need a freshing up next year or the year after to make Acura's sales goals.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Was your fx35 45k out the door or it excludes tax?

Deciding between RDX and FX35 fully loaded. Leaning more towards FX35.... have to wait to see the actual RDX.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cmcbruin
I was holding out for the RDX this summer, but went with my first choice and sentimental favorite, a Infiniti FX 35 loaded to the gills. It MSRP'ed at 49, but I got it for 45 + Tax and lic, so about 6-7 grand more than the RDX. It is a better crossover, with more features, and sportier feel and ride, a better engine, and far better appearance.

I am glad I did not wait. The prototype of the RDX was hot; the production model is not. It is boring and will need a freshing up next year or the year after to make Acura's sales goals.
In fairness to the RDX, the FX is priced significantly higher than the RDX. The FX is about the same as a Lexus RX350, which is truly a luxury vehicle. I can't comment on the discount you got, but the MSRP for the FX would put it about 12k higher than the RDX if we are to use the general opinion on RDX pricing.
The FX isn't without it's flaws as well. It requires premium fuel and the EPA for it is 16/21, while the Lexus is 18/24 using regular fuel.
To quote Consumer Reports, (while they liked it in general) the RFX35 has a stiff ride that transmits bumps and pavement flaws to the passengers is one of it's drawbacks. The pronounced exhaust note can be tiresome. Rear visability is poor. The wide turning circle makes parking cumbersome. Cargo volume is modest.
Not sure how you know the FX has a better ride than the RDX, or has a better engine. As far as appearance, that's a personal thing. But your'e happy and that's the main thing.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
cmcbruin, congrats on the new car purchase, however, I think that there were a few things that you should have considered:
- Once the initial hysteria dies down (I'm guessing around early 2007), a loaded RDX will be available for $35k (we are all just guessing at the pricing, it may be even lower yet)- you paid over $10 thousand more, which you may regret if the real estate bubble bursts and there is an economic slowdown.
- As simplesimon mentioned, you could have been getting close to 20% better gas mileage with the RDX - something that I guarantee you'll be thinking about if gas gets to $5 or more per gallon. Look at it as filling up for $40 instead of $50 every week (or even $80 instead of $100 in the near future) and it could be something that you may look back upon with regret.
- You have never seen nor DRIVEN the new RDX (you may have seen a prototype, but not a true production model) - I'm of the opinion that it will be the best handling SUV/crossover ever and once you actually see one in person and actually sit in one, you may have a different opinion. Judging cars based on pictures and other people's comments can lead to regrets.
I'm sure you will love the FX, but those are just a couple of things that you maybe should have considered to avoid possible future regrets.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Cruisin'

I agree that the FX 35 is considered more luxury than the RDX. It is quite a ride, I must confess. They have tuned down the sports suspension a bit, and the tech features: navi w/voice and backup; integrated satellite radio; handsfree; heat seats; memory seats; 10way power w/lumbar support; active cruise control; lane departure warning; 20 inch wheels; fantastic AWD w/snow setting; plus lots more.

I agree the gas mileage is worse than the RDX, but not a lot worse. I also beleive that the RDX will require premium. (I have had plenty of turbos in the past -- Passat; TT to name 2) and all required premium. The FX just "recommends" premium, but says it will run, albeit less spirited, with regular. This is the same language in our Honda Odyssey brochure.

I just did not want to wait for the 2008 model with the options I wanted now. And the price difference is about 8k. Nothing to sneeze at; but you get what you pay for.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

I agree that the FX 35 is considered more luxury than the RDX. It is quite a ride, I must confess. They have tuned down the sports suspension a bit, and the tech features: navi w/voice and backup; integrated satellite radio; handsfree; heat seats; memory seats; 10way power w/lumbar support; active cruise control; lane departure warning; 20 inch wheels; fantastic AWD w/snow setting; plus lots more.

I agree the gas mileage is worse than the RDX, but not a lot worse. I also beleive that the RDX will require premium. (I have had plenty of turbos in the past -- Passat; TT to name 2) and all required premium. The FX just "recommends" premium, but says it will run, albeit less spirited, with regular. This is the same language in our Honda Odyssey brochure.

I just did not want to wait for the 2008 model with the options I wanted now. And the price difference is about 8k. Nothing to sneeze at; but you get what you pay for.
Yes the RDX calls for premium fuel. I was comparing the FRX with the Lexus RX350, which is where the FRX fits pricewise. I feel you are getting a lot more car with the Lexus, but that's just my opinion. We still don't know the price for the RDX, or the actual EPA, as so far it's just an estimate. It may be more or it may be less. In any case if I were looking for a car in the price range of the FRX, my choice would be the Lexus no question.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Instructor

I think comparing the FX to the RDX is like comparing apples to oranges. The FX is in a different bracket of luxury cars compared to the RDX. You would be better off comparing the FX to the MDX. I test drove an MDX that was priced at $43K, including navigation and rear DVD player, with wireless headphones and the third row of seats. This is closer to the FX than the RDX. Thats not to say the RDX won't be great, and truthfully you will probably get more for your money with the RDX than the FX.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by simplesimon
In fairness to the RDX, the FX is priced significantly higher than the RDX. The FX is about the same as a Lexus RX350, which is truly a luxury vehicle. I can't comment on the discount you got, but the MSRP for the FX would put it about 12k higher than the RDX if we are to use the general opinion on RDX pricing.
The FX isn't without it's flaws as well. It requires premium fuel and the EPA for it is 16/21, while the Lexus is 18/24 using regular fuel.
To quote Consumer Reports, (while they liked it in general) the RFX35 has a stiff ride that transmits bumps and pavement flaws to the passengers is one of it's drawbacks. The pronounced exhaust note can be tiresome. Rear visability is poor. The wide turning circle makes parking cumbersome. Cargo volume is modest.
Not sure how you know the FX has a better ride than the RDX, or has a better engine. As far as appearance, that's a personal thing. But your'e happy and that's the main thing.
I own an FX35. Premium fuel is not required, and the car runs great on 87 octane. My overall MPG is 18.5.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Banned

Ok, I went to the dealer and fell in love with the 06 model. A lot of neat new features....

I couldn't wait for the RDX to come out so I bought the FX35... Call me traitor

BTW... gas mileage is pretty ghetto and the manual recommends premium unleaded....
Old 04-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up Great move

Originally Posted by Mongolian
Ok, I went to the dealer and fell in love with the 06 model. A lot of neat new features....

I couldn't wait for the RDX to come out so I bought the FX35... Call me traitor

BTW... gas mileage is pretty ghetto and the manual recommends premium unleaded....

Hey Mongolian,

Now that you have the FX, check out their board (www.infinitifx.org). It is very good, and you will be greated warmly. What features did you get? I splurged and got the tech, touring, and sport package. I have not tried it with regular fuel, but may give it a whirl to see how it runs.

Congrats again.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:20 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
and sportier feel and ride,
Old 04-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Racer

It is a better crossover, with more features, and sportier feel and ride, a better engine, and far better appearance.
I must have gone to the NY Auto Show on the wrong day, apparently from some of the other members posts about 'ride quality', 'engine response' and 'production quality' Acura must have given out extended test drives of the RDX inside the Javits Center on other days.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Now that's funny!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Banned

Hey Mongolian,

Now that you have the FX, check out their board (www.infinitifx.org). It is very good, and you will be greated warmly. What features did you get? I splurged and got the tech, touring, and sport package. I have not tried it with regular fuel, but may give it a whirl to see how it runs.

Congrats again.
I got my CFO's (the wife) approval and went crazy with options as well. I got everything that you got plus a clear bra =). Damn financing ppl suckered me pretty good. I'm really impressed with this year's model. A lot of little cosmetic changes and console went through a significant improvement. I think my favorite option is the hands-free kit.

I might end up crying depending on what the actual production model RDX looks like. I guess I'll have to wait just a little more to find out.

What color did you buy?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by 98AccordEx
I must have gone to the NY Auto Show on the wrong day, apparently from some of the other members posts about 'ride quality', 'engine response' and 'production quality' Acura must have given out extended test drives of the RDX inside the Javits Center on other days.
Yeah, you missed out.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Mongolian
I got my CFO's (the wife) approval and went crazy with options as well. I got everything that you got plus a clear bra =). Damn financing ppl suckered me pretty good. I'm really impressed with this year's model. A lot of little cosmetic changes and console went through a significant improvement. I think my favorite option is the hands-free kit.

I might end up crying depending on what the actual production model RDX looks like. I guess I'll have to wait just a little more to find out.

What color did you buy?
I bought the diamond graphite color, with what you have plus the sports package, towing package, and cross bars. Plan on having some city driving fun, and some time on the slopes with my kids. I am stoked.

I think the RDX would have disappointed me. The NY auto show version is not a prototype as many have said here. The Chicago Auto show version was the prototype. The one in NY is the production model, and looks as dated as the MDX. I think their sales will disappoint. Those 18" wheels with the red calipers should have been standard. If they want to compete with BMW, then don't make it look like a Honda.

I bought my FX at Power Infiniti in South Bay. Where did you get yours?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

I bought the diamond graphite color, with what you have plus the sports package, towing package, and cross bars. Plan on having some city driving fun, and some time on the slopes with my kids. I am stoked.

I think the RDX would have disappointed me. The NY auto show version is not a prototype as many have said here. The Chicago Auto show version was the prototype. The one in NY is the production model, and looks as dated as the MDX. I think their sales will disappoint. Those 18" wheels with the red calipers should have been standard. If they want to compete with BMW, then don't make it look like a Honda.

I bought my FX at Power Infiniti in South Bay. Where did you get yours?
Time to move on to the FX board. I think this is an RDX board, the last time I looked.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

good job comparing the fx to something you can't even drive yet. you don't know anything about how the car drives or feels, only how it looks.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

I tested a FX over the summer, and the interior materials are not so good...

But that's just my opinion.