First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First impressions

Hi all,

I purchased my RDX this past weekend, and here are my first impressions:

I like it's handling, quickness and mildly muscular styling. There really is no other small SUV in its price range that can surpase the RDX in the above. I got the Alabaster (silver) color plus taupe interior, which I consider essential here in northern California's hot climate. Plus, my car is my work. I drive over 400 miles/week and much appreciate the fact that it has the highest safety rating of just about any test vehicle, according to the Insurance Institute for Insurance Safety. Being a father of two small children, this was a big deciding factor for me. And since I drive constantly every day, my wife is glad that I have a much higher chance of coming home safely as compared to other cars.

I got the base model and didn't feel the need to spend 4K more on the tech package, especially since I could practically get around my county blindfolded (well, not quite ) and would never need the nav system. Plus the base stereo is the best in its class IMO. The interior is very high-tech and easy to read. I read a review where someone stated he could not see the guages with his sunglasses on. No such problem here!The seats are very comfortable and the outside viewing visibility is outstanding. Rear storage is adequate and can be greatly improved by the quickly folding down rear seats.

Comparisons:
My previous car was the original Lexus IS 300, which had a more comfortable and quieter ride and a much smoother engine with its in-line V6. But the IS 300 felt much more sluggish ( now greatly improved with the IS 350...for a price) than the RDX with its turbo 4. Gas mileage is about the same.

I have test driven the BMW X3 quite extensively, and it can't compare to the RDX. The RDX ride my be a little bumpy (not unexpected for a small SUV), but the X3's ride is downright harsh! The X3 and the RDX seem to be just about as quick, with the X3's in-line 6 being a little smoother. The RDX has some road noise. You had better wear noise-canceling headphones with the X3! The RDX has much more tech (even on the base model) than the X3's. The X3's dash and interior just look plain boring IMO. But hey, many are wlling to buy an X3 for several thousand more than an RDX because of its name. Not me!

Speaking of BMWs, my wife drives the X5, and there really is no comparison there, except again maybe in the tech area. The X5 is the quintissential SUV with the right balance of performance and luxury, especially the pre-2007 models which offer more wood in their interiors. The AWD on the X5 seems better integrated and you never notice it. The SH-AWD on the RDX seems a little jerky at times...or maybe I'm just not used to power being redistributed to each wheel individually. No road noise, great handling and classic styling, but I am really comparing oranges to apples here with a vehicle that costs 20k plus more to start.

Quibbles:
No memory seat. How can Acura not have it on a 30k plus car! No power adjust driver's seat! But these are minor quibbles to me, as I drive the car about 98% of the time, so adjustments would be rare for me. The tires should be 245s instead of 235s, as it would give the RDX a more muscular look and even better handling than it already has. Auto climate control always turns on the AC, but so it does on my wife's X5. Auto dimming rear-view mirror not standard.

Some talk of the tubo lag. To me it's minor, but you do have to put this car on a leash in city driving, which I do quite a lot. I'm used to my IS 300's smooth in-line 6. Push down on the RDX's gas peddle, and this puppy wants to be unleashed in a hurry. I'm learning to drive this car quite differently than my Lexus, which might explain my low mpg so far. But hey, that's the fun of this car: it wants to be quick. It yells let me go! Combine that with it's handling, and you have a best-in-its class small SUV. I have heard many here complain of its so called lack of power or it's cornering ability. Seems very adequate to me. The RDX, people, is not a sports car! It's a very well handling SUV. Drive it like a sports car...and it may be your last drive!

And mileage! Well, I have only averaged 14.9 mpg so far, but it's based on the dealer's fill-up tank, and I do drive stop-and-go all day and turn my car off and on about 12-14 times/day. I do believe I have been too heavy on the peddle (having fun hearing that turbo! ), but expect gas mileage to improve with break-in and more conservative driving. It's an SUV, so mpgs will not be stellar. It's about the same as my IS 300, and I expect to fill up twice per week like I did using my IS 300.

Oil changes? I don't care what the oil usage guage reads. I'll change my oil every 5000k come rain or shine. I used Mobil 1 exclusively on my IS 300, and that car ran perfect for 75,000 miles!

Well, that's my opinion. I find the RDX to be worth the money I spent, and expect good reliability out of it as both a full-time working vehicle and a part-time family car. This is my 5th Acura. The other four never disappointed me! Your mileage may vary.

Cheers!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:12 PM
East Coast Crew

Hmm...dealer is kind of wrong.....how can you be conservative when you have a turbocharger. Those only work at high rpms. At high rpms, you burn more gas. =[
Old 04-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Instructor

nice detailed review Are u sure ur taking it easy during break-in with that stellar 14.9 mpg? haha j/k congrats on the new ride
Old 04-12-2007, 02:12 AM
10th Gear

nice read!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Race Director

I got one as a loaner while my TSX was in for service. It is a nice SUV, but this is my take. It's fast becuase of the turbo, but I recall when I got the loaner it was at full tank. I took it only 20 miles roundtrip because I drove to the train station and parked it before I went downtown for work and by the time I drove it back to Acura the gas tank was in the middle between full and half tank. Cool suv, styling looks like an Acura, but not "wow or unique", and the interior rocks! Let's hope they add more stuff to it for the 2008 model to compete with the X3 and EX35.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:31 PM
6th Gear

Very nice write up. Couple of comments:

Re: no memory buttons, completely agree, altho power drivers seat is part of the tech pkg. Maybe they should add power steering wheel tilt & telescope with memory for the driver's seat & side mirrors as part of the tech pkg. Lack of power adjust for the front passenger seat is also disappointing.

Re: the tires, it seems that 235 is the max width you can safely mount on 7.5" wide rims. I believe Acura did this to supplement the already disappointing fuel economy. If Acura went with 8 or 8.5" rims, you add more unsprung weight, and 245 or 255 tires provide more surface contact, which will negatively affect the mpg that it achieves now . . .

Btw, did you test drive the '07 X3 or a '06 ? Bmw claims that they redesigned the '07 to address the harsh ride of the previous years. IMO, the X3 is the only competition to the Rdx (at least currently) and similarly equipped cost at least 9k more . . .
Old 04-12-2007, 05:05 PM
7th Gear

Great review. I also love driving my 3 week old RDX. I too am very sorry Acura did not install a memory function for the drivers seat. 1,000 miles, NO bugs, fun to drive, and averaging 19 mpg. I think Acura scored with this fun to drive small SUV. I just wonder when we'll see more of them on the road.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:03 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Not sure what you guys are referring to, but both base and tech have a power driver's seat.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by c_hunter
Not sure what you guys are referring to, but both base and tech have a power driver's seat.
Welcome back craig! Haven't heard from you in a while.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:22 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by c_hunter
My RDX Base has powered driver's seat. It doesnt have powered passenger though.

Memory settings are no issue for me since I am the ONLY one allowed to drive my RDX!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:47 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by sasair
Welcome back craig! Haven't heard from you in a while.
What's up man!?!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:12 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the info on the tires! >>>

Never thought about the wider tires decreasing mpg.

I only tested the 06 X3. I still think the RDX is a bargain compared to the current X3 model.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:40 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I read a review where someone stated he could not see the guages with his sunglasses on. No such problem here!"

Polarized sunglasses aren't much of an issue with the guages but definitely pose a problem with the Navi display. Minor complaint - still love my RDX!