experience purchasing RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
experience purchasing RDX?

Hey guys...I'm wondering how everyone's experience was in purchasing the RDX. I went to Apple Acura in York, PA two days ago and placed a deposit for the vehicle (tech pkg with auto mirror, all season mat, body side molding, splash guard, wheel lock). I was told the car would be ready today, so off I went to pick up the car. It took us a while to finish all the paperwork...etc and I eventually wrote a check for the car and signed the registration. 30 seconds later we went to drive the car...but there it was standing...with NONE of the accessories installed (not even all season mats) because Apple Acura doesn't carry any of those accessories. They explained that body side molding has to be color-matched so they don't keep it in stock, but I don't really understand how they didn't have the other accessories when these're fairly common equipments that can fit on every color. I didn't end up driving the car home because I want the car in its "complete" shape before driving off the lot (i also want the tst paint protection done on the side molding at the same time as the rest of the car). They claim that this is purely a misunderstanding because most people prefer to drive their car as soon as possible despite missing some accessories, but I can't help but feel that I was tricked into buying this car today instead of another day (i should've checked the car first before paying/signing..but i was so excited about getting the car today!). now my registration, insurance and warranty have all started as of TODAY, instead of the actual day that I will be driving my car off the lot.

Is what i experienced at Apple Acura normal? Is this kind of service acceptable? If not, what can I do about it? This is the first car that I bought by myself so I'm really inexperienced Any insightful comment would be appreciated.
i'm still driving a rental car now because i was expecting to get the car today! Think there is any way I can get some sort of "compensation" from the dealer?
I'm thinking of asking them to throw in a cargo net and maybe something else minor to make it up. Am currently a very sad RDX owner...
Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 PM
10th Gear

Yeah man you're totally screwed... j/k :P

I suppose you could have asked for a loaner/demo until everything is installed, right? Also, changing the insurance starting date should be easy, just pick up the phone and call you agent.

Tim
Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't look at your car before you buy it?

If you want a tough life, move to Iraq. You'll be fine, someone just made a mistake.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Cruisin'

in my previous car buying experience with family and friends, we've never come across any dealer that tries to hand over cars that are not complete... so I guess i made the mistake of taking good services for granted... i realize i probably complain too much, but I hope my experience will help prevent others from the same mistake.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Wheelin' Dealer

Originally Posted by baboola
in my previous car buying experience with family and friends, we've never come across any dealer that tries to hand over cars that are not complete... so I guess i made the mistake of taking good services for granted... i realize i probably complain too much, but I hope my experience will help prevent others from the same mistake.
How much deposit did you put down on the vehicle when you agreed to price and accessories? Was it enough to cover the cost of all the accessories and installation? Also it takes a day or two to get accessories in (we don't keep much in stock b/c they can be gotten so quickly) then it takes a tech a few hours at least to install.

In my experience, the only people that lie as much as car dealers ar car customers. This is not a judgement on you, but just sound business sense.

They should have put you in a loaner till done though
Old 08-02-2007, 10:37 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Buyers are liars. However, the sales person should have told you what was up before you got there.

Originally Posted by jcbridges
How much deposit did you put down on the vehicle when you agreed to price and accessories? Was it enough to cover the cost of all the accessories and installation? Also it takes a day or two to get accessories in (we don't keep much in stock b/c they can be gotten so quickly) then it takes a tech a few hours at least to install.

In my experience, the only people that lie as much as car dealers ar car customers. This is not a judgement on you, but just sound business sense.

They should have put you in a loaner till done though
Old 08-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
At my dealership, when someone buys a car they never take delivery with all the accessories installed. First we get a due bill going, then I take it to a service advisor and schedule a time for the installation.

So, if we have all the stuff, it get's installed in a couple days. Otherwise, the person gets a call from the advisor ONCE WE HAVE IT ALL IN STOCK and then brings their car in.

In your case, the dealership should have been more upfront with you and explain how it would all work beforehand. That's their only mistake, really.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Racer

Hey guys, another noob question along these lines. I'll be picking up my RDX (my first car) in two weeks and wondering if there's anything I should look out for before driving it off the dealer lot? So far from the threads I've read to check that:

- the accessories installed properly/securely
- interior & exterior detailed and cleaned properly
- tire pressure is correct

Anything else?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boon
Hey guys, another noob question along these lines. I'll be picking up my RDX (my first car) in two weeks and wondering if there's anything I should look out for before driving it off the dealer lot? So far from the threads I've read to check that:

Anything else?
I'd be more concerned that the purchase/lease agreement you are signing accurately reflects the deal you negotiated and all numbers tie-out to the numbers quoted you over the phone/via email/or in person.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:05 PM
9th Gear

RE: Bad dealer experience

Originally Posted by Levy
At my dealership, when someone buys a car they never take delivery with all the accessories installed. First we get a due bill going, then I take it to a service advisor and schedule a time for the installation.

So, if we have all the stuff, it get's installed in a couple days. Otherwise, the person gets a call from the advisor ONCE WE HAVE IT ALL IN STOCK and then brings their car in.

In your case, the dealership should have been more upfront with you and explain how it would all work beforehand. That's their only mistake, really.

I'm in my 60's and never knew that if I ordered a dealer installed accessory it would not be on the car when I first picked it up. I am fairly thorough, so I might have checked this out before signing anything and plunking down a deposit - I hope so. I shy away from anything a dealer has to install and in fact pray nothing goes wrong when I get a car because I do not trust the local mechanics to put the thing back together correctly. I am a nut for rattles and squeaks, etc. and I have found over the years that they may replace the "bad" component, but then some piece of trim, gasket or such in that general area starts making noise. I had an Audi that had to have the radio replaced and when I drove home after picking it up there was a rattle in the dash that hadn’t been there before. Until I sold the car they were never able to get rid of it. Generally when I buy anything I look for products that don't break (is that possible??) - not good replacement of components and dealer service – although they do matter. This is not the only such example of problems I have had - there have been other instances, like when my car was in for a warranty work (Porsche 944) and the dealer cut (accidentally) the radiator hose and the car overheated at 11 PM on the NYS Thruway (fun being towed, etc. until 3 AM) and practically everything in the engine had to be replaced - I was without it for 2 months. I pray if I get an RDX it never needs major repair.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Boon

Anything else?
The 3 you mentioned are important, but not vital. What you really need to do is get down and inspect the car, especially the underbody. If you have a scrape on the lower part of your bumper and you don't point it out before you drive away, you have little recourse.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
For the OP, some dealers have a policy of having a deposit in house that would cover the accessories (in case the deal falls through). At my dealership we prefer to install your accessories before you take delivery of the vehicle. If the accessories are not in stock, we let you know when they will be available and when we can have the vehicle ready. If you need or want the car before we can get the accessories installed, you can take it and bring it back for the installation, but that decision is left up to the customer.

My guess is that your sales person dropped the ball and forgot to check availability of the parts. If I order a part before 1:00, 99% of the time I have it the next day.

How long was it between when the deal was agreed to and the planned delivery date? If its more than three days, your accessories should have been installed.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tripp11
I'd be more concerned that the purchase/lease agreement you are signing accurately reflects the deal you negotiated and all numbers tie-out to the numbers quoted you over the phone/via email/or in person.
Originally Posted by black label
The 3 you mentioned are important, but not vital. What you really need to do is get down and inspect the car, especially the underbody. If you have a scrape on the lower part of your bumper and you don't point it out before you drive away, you have little recourse.
Hey Tripp11 - money is already taken care of. Put my down payment and have the invoice & agreement in front of me already. I'm just waiting for the car itself.

Black Label - Thanks! Not sure exactly what to look for as this is my first car and I'm not that much of a gear head but I'll look out for it.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Maybe this is your first Acura (Honda) purchase. I've purchased several new Honda's and my first Acura, the RDX. Dealer installed options have many times required a second visit to the dealer for installation. Many options are not always in stock at your dealer. The choice is yours drive home with your new RDX when you write check, or wait until the accessories are installed. For me, I always want it now.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:27 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by baboola
Hey guys...I'm wondering how everyone's experience was in purchasing the RDX. I went to Apple Acura in York, PA two days ago and placed a deposit for the vehicle (tech pkg with auto mirror, all season mat, body side molding, splash guard, wheel lock). I was told the car would be ready today, so off I went to pick up the car. It took us a while to finish all the paperwork...etc and I eventually wrote a check for the car and signed the registration. 30 seconds later we went to drive the car...but there it was standing...with NONE of the accessories installed (not even all season mats) because Apple Acura doesn't carry any of those accessories. They explained that body side molding has to be color-matched so they don't keep it in stock, but I don't really understand how they didn't have the other accessories when these're fairly common equipments that can fit on every color. I didn't end up driving the car home because I want the car in its "complete" shape before driving off the lot (i also want the tst paint protection done on the side molding at the same time as the rest of the car). They claim that this is purely a misunderstanding because most people prefer to drive their car as soon as possible despite missing some accessories, but I can't help but feel that I was tricked into buying this car today instead of another day (i should've checked the car first before paying/signing..but i was so excited about getting the car today!). now my registration, insurance and warranty have all started as of TODAY, instead of the actual day that I will be driving my car off the lot.

Is what i experienced at Apple Acura normal? Is this kind of service acceptable? If not, what can I do about it? This is the first car that I bought by myself so I'm really inexperienced Any insightful comment would be appreciated.
i'm still driving a rental car now because i was expecting to get the car today! Think there is any way I can get some sort of "compensation" from the dealer?
I'm thinking of asking them to throw in a cargo net and maybe something else minor to make it up. Am currently a very sad RDX owner...
baboola, I too am looking to purchase a RDX from the same dealer. Could you post the price that you paid including the breakdown?