engine oil dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine oil dipstick

this is my first cuv to own, i noticed that the engine oil dipstick is quite long and probably bends at certain parts of the engine as you insert it. my questions are:

a) i am not sure if i can get a proper read yet since it's only been 1k miles and everytime i re-insert to read, oil inevitably gets into the rest of the stick. the engine oil looks really thin/light - havent done any oil change YET as it's still new (1k Miles)

b) does the dipstick really "bend" at some point? it certainly feels that way as it seems to coil in as you insert and pull it out.

c) i havent checked the AT dipstick yet, just wanted to make sure this is really the case - my other cars are that, cars, and the dipstick just goes straight down and, haha, not as long!

d) the manual indicates that you should inspect every time you fill up. really? i used to just check it monthly or once every 2-3 mos for my other cars. wouldnt/doesnt this car have a warning for low engine oil?

thanks.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
it does bend but you should still be able to get a reading on it. It is a bit of a pain to put back in compared to my other cars, but if you put in slowly (err sounds R rated lol) it goes in fine. Leave the dipstick in for a bit before pulling it out for a recheck.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:33 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mau108
it does bend but you should still be able to get a reading on it. It is a bit of a pain to put back in compared to my other cars, but if you put in slowly (err sounds R rated lol) it goes in fine. Leave the dipstick in for a bit before pulling it out for a recheck.
Dipstick is a pain, you are correct...you should be able to get a reading, don't worry about the twist, turns, bends or whatever else.
You should check the oil periodically because Turbo engines are likely to consume oil. Every fill up may be too much, but you should definitely check it on regular basis.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Advanced

yes, thanks guys. a bit more practice or dirtier oil would do the trick
Old 04-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by elcheapo
this is my first cuv to own, i noticed that the engine oil dipstick is quite long and probably bends at certain parts of the engine as you insert it. my questions are:

a) i am not sure if i can get a proper read yet since it's only been 1k miles and everytime i re-insert to read, oil inevitably gets into the rest of the stick. the engine oil looks really thin/light - havent done any oil change YET as it's still new (1k Miles)

b) does the dipstick really "bend" at some point? it certainly feels that way as it seems to coil in as you insert and pull it out.

c) i havent checked the AT dipstick yet, just wanted to make sure this is really the case - my other cars are that, cars, and the dipstick just goes straight down and, haha, not as long!

d) the manual indicates that you should inspect every time you fill up. really? i used to just check it monthly or once every 2-3 mos for my other cars. wouldnt/doesnt this car have a warning for low engine oil?

thanks.
Thin/light looking oil = clean oil. You're good to go. It's best to check the oil after the vehicle has been turned off for a while and on flat pavement so you don't get a "false" low fill reading on the dipstick. Yeah, the dipstick on the RDX has lots of bends and turns, but just do as above and you'll be fine.

PS. The computer in the RDX will definitely tell you if any fluid levels are low and/or need changing.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:49 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
Thin/light looking oil = clean oil. You're good to go. It's best to check the oil after the vehicle has been turned off for a while and on flat pavement so you don't get a "false" low fill reading on the dipstick. Yeah, the dipstick on the RDX has lots of bends and turns, but just do as above and you'll be fine.

PS. The computer in the RDX will definitely tell you if any fluid levels are low and/or need changing.
It won't show the windshield wiper fluid level for US models, only Canadian....and the reservoir is sooooo freaking small that it bothers me a lot that they saved 2 cents by not putting that alert...
Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Advanced

yes that windshield washer container is one of it's kind. initially i thought it was good for one/two uses
Old 01-21-2013, 12:18 AM
8th Gear

Winshield Fluid

In regards to the Windshield fluid, is there a LOGICAL reason that this feature is only available on Canadian models? I find this to be really odd.

Is there any way this can be added to a US model? Does Acura think that Canadians are incapable of monitoring even windshield wiper fluid on their own?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
that would have been cool, why does canada get more options? I dont get it.

My Si in canada gets heated side mirrors, heated seats, and DRL's.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
eltightwado,

there is a DIY section for these kinds of questions.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
couple things to add. color of engine oil doesnt indicate that an oil change should be in order. Its the wear and tear material inside which is invisible to the naked eye. just stick to a reasonable MID and you'll be fine. Also as for checking dipstick you should do it immediately because oil (specially warm synthetic oil) can climb up the dipstick while inside the crankcase. pull out, wipe, insert, quickly pull out, and check levels. you can get the hood wide open like this to make your life easier. Wish it had the straight dipstick from the TL.