Electric Impact gun on drain bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:42 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Electric Impact gun on drain bolts

Is it safe to use a electric impact gun on an oil/transmission drain bolt to loosen it and then remove by hand? I googled it and cant find a definite answer. I know your not suppose to tighten using an impact...
Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jagboy
Is it safe to use a electric impact gun on an oil/transmission drain bolt to loosen it and then remove by hand? I googled it and cant find a definite answer. I know your not suppose to tighten using an impact...
do it by hand....they are not so tight you need to use a "machine".
What I do is after putting the wrench on the bolt, I apply a bit of torque with my right hand, and if it doesn't loosen with that I start "tapping" that hand with the left one, while keep applying torque.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 701 Likes on 543 Posts
Buy torque wrench, $30 or so, its very useful for a lot of bolts in a car. The drain bold should be torqued to 29 lb-ft. When you use torque wrench, you dont have to guess. One more thing you get from DIY oil change, you can be sure no one will use it at the dealer.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:28 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by russianDude
Buy torque wrench, $30 or so, its very useful for a lot of bolts in a car. The drain bold should be torqued to 29 lb-ft. When you use torque wrench, you dont have to guess. One more thing you get from DIY oil change, you can be sure no one will use it at the dealer.
Torque wrench will work to tighten, not to remove. And who re-uses oil at the dealer? how to you know that is not re-used when you do it yourself? unless you are dumping it down the drain, you are bringing it to a place where they will "dispose of it" for you....
Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 701 Likes on 543 Posts
Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Torque wrench will work to tighten, not to remove. And who re-uses oil at the dealer? how to you know that is not re-used when you do it yourself? unless you are dumping it down the drain, you are bringing it to a place where they will "dispose of it" for you....
I said "you can be sure no one will use it at the dealer.", and by "use it" I mean torque wrench.
No dealers user it on drain plugs.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:35 PM
StayAtHomeDad

I said "you can be sure no one will use it at the dealer.", and by "use it" I mean torque wrench.
No dealers user it on drain plugs.
My bad, I thought (obviously) that you were talking about oil....reading too fast I guess
Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by wrestrepo
do it by hand....they are not so tight you need to use a "machine".
What I do is after putting the wrench on the bolt, I apply a bit of torque with my right hand, and if it doesn't loosen with that I start "tapping" that hand with the left one, while keep applying torque.
Good advice ^.

The chattering of impact guns can round the flats. Follow wrestrepo's guidance and keep torque on the bolt in one direction.

The threads/washer may be a bit galled (cold-welded) so it will make a crack sound when it breaks free, but you really should be able to do this by hand.

When you reinstall it, put a little Permatex High Temp Thread Sealant on the threads (be careful not to over-torque when using sealant). Next removal will be much easier.

......you can be sure no one will use it (torque-wrench) at the dealer
+1. Impact guns are for the shop's convenience at the expense of your car. DIY and use a torque-wrench or a sensitive arm and good judgement.

Last edited by 737 Jock; 03-10-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I normally do get it off with a breaker bar and some leverage. But when I do my oil change I often have to do it for my parents cars also, and it gets exhausting after the second car, thats why I thought a impact gun would be handy.

My dads has a CRV and unlike the rdx which has the bolt on a somewhat flat vertical surface , the bolt on the CRV is on angle and my wrench keep slipping off any suggestions?

Last edited by jagboy; 03-10-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:54 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Check Black Pearl's outstanding photo essay on CR-V Owner's Club.

DIYs don't get much better than his: Black Pearl's Rear Differential Fluid Change
Old 03-11-2011, 12:04 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Jock
Good advice ^.

The chattering of impact guns can round the flats. Follow wrestrepo's guidance and keep torque on the bolt in one direction.

The threads/washer may be a bit galled (cold-welded) so it will make a crack sound when it breaks free, but you really should be able to do this by hand.

When you reinstall it, put a little Permatex High Temp Thread Sealant on the threads (be careful not to over-torque when using sealant). Next removal will be much easier.

+1. Impact guns are for the shop's convenience at the expense of your car. DIY and use a torque-wrench or a sensitive arm and good judgement.
if anything it will make it harder to remove next time

and i work at a shop, and i know for sure as hell i don't use an impact on drain bolts
Old 03-11-2011, 12:08 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jagboy
I normally do get it off with a breaker bar and some leverage. But when I do my oil change I often have to do it for my parents cars also, and it gets exhausting after the second car, thats why I thought a impact gun would be handy.

My dads has a CRV and unlike the rdx which has the bolt on a somewhat flat vertical surface , the bolt on the CRV is on angle and my wrench keep slipping off any suggestions?
are you using the box end of the wrench?

could the wrench be worn out (too much slop in it, or a cheap wrench which is not a good fit to begin with)?

or even could the plug be kinda rounded off on the edges, and could use a new drain plug? (iirc only a couple of $ dollars even at the dealer, so like 2-3 or something extremely low)
Old 03-11-2011, 12:48 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant:

"OEM specified. Locks and seals threaded fittings. Lubricates threads for easy assembly and disassembly."
Source: permatex.com/_Permatex_High_Temperature_Thread_Sealant

Last edited by 737 Jock; 03-11-2011 at 12:54 AM.