DVD-A glitch??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD-A glitch??

I just picked up my RDX yesterday and went to Bestbuy to day to get a DVD-A Eric Clapton Unplugged. Guess what? The diplay under the front widshield says 'check disc' and it ejects it. Do I need to set something for the audio to read the DVD-A ?
Regular nusic CDs are playing without any problem. There is a possibility of brand new DVD-A be defective... The demo disc also (with the DVD-A label) works fine too.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gomboy60
I just picked up my RDX yesterday and went to Bestbuy to day to get a DVD-A Eric Clapton Unplugged. Guess what? The diplay under the front widshield says 'check disc' and it ejects it. Do I need to set something for the audio to read the DVD-A ?
Regular nusic CDs are playing without any problem. There is a possibility of brand new DVD-A be defective... The demo disc also (with the DVD-A label) works fine too.

Thanks.
Are you sure its a DVD-Audio disc? I've never seen Eric Clapton Unplugged in DVD-Audio format. Maybe its a video disc in DVD-Audio packaging. Does it have the DVD-Audio symbol on the disc itself? If you're sure it is a DVD-Audio disc, then I think I read somewhere that some DVD-Audio discs may not be compatible.

From the manual:

DVD-A discs not meeting DVD
verification standards may not be
playable.

Have you tried putting the disc in your home DVD player? It should play there as well as just audio.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:52 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
That is a music DVD. A DVD concert disc. "Unplugged" was never released on DVD-Audio. You have to look for two things to make sure you have a DVD-Audio.

The DVD Logo with AUDIO written under it, or

An ADVANCED RESOLUTION logo. I'll see if I can post pictures for these.

I happen to run a surround sound forum, and on that forum is a listing of poll results of the surround DVD-A's and SACD's that the members rate from 1 to 10. You can see the results of this list without joining. Remember that SACDs do not play in the RDX ELS system (except their CD side).

Here the link to the poll results:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQHiRezPoll2004.htm

Give it a second or two to load, it's a big chart.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Missin my TSX =(

would u guys know if the rdx can play mp3's burned on a dvd?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chyllintsx
would u guys know if the rdx can play mp3's burned on a dvd?
I have tried burning MP3s to a DVD+R and it did not work, and the manual doesn't list this type of disc as one that would.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:19 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
That is a music DVD. A DVD concert disc. "Unplugged" was never released on DVD-Audio. You have to look for two things to make sure you have a DVD-Audio.

The DVD Logo with AUDIO written under it, or

An ADVANCED RESOLUTION logo. I'll see if I can post pictures for these.

I happen to run a surround sound forum, and on that forum is a listing of poll results of the surround DVD-A's and SACD's that the members rate from 1 to 10. You can see the results of this list without joining. Remember that SACDs do not play in the RDX ELS system (except their CD side).

nice site.

gomboy60 - your best bet is to get another DVD A and try it.

there is nothing quite like discrete Hi Resolution 5.1 .

sites like oblio90's are the only way to not get fooled by the music industry.

i got burned on a marvin gaye disc - 5.0

a real waste for a sub.

FIGHT COMPRESSION

-
Old 10-12-2006, 04:31 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OA5599
nice site.

gomboy60 - your best bet is to get another DVD A and try it.

there is nothing quite like discrete Hi Resolution 5.1 .

sites like oblio90's are the only way to not get fooled by the music industry.

i got burned on a marvin gaye disc - 5.0

a real waste for a sub.

FIGHT COMPRESSION

-
Is there a recommended place to buy DVD-A discs? Doesn't seem like there are a lot of them out there.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sasair
I have tried burning MP3s to a DVD+R and it did not work, and the manual doesn't list this type of disc as one that would.

I think it plays MP3s on an a CD-R, not DVD
Old 10-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Somewhere it says that it will not play DVD+/-rs.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Thanks all for your response.
Now I am wondering whether I was miss informed about the logo that represents DVD Audio format.
Isn' the logo DVD with a shape of ellipse with hole in the middle, located below the DVD letters? Or does the word 'AUDIO' has to be there below the elliptical CD shape??
Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all for your response.
Now I am wondering whether I was miss informed about the logo that represents DVD Audio format.
Isn' the logo DVD with a shape of ellipse with hole in the middle, located below the DVD letters? Or does the word 'AUDIO' has to be there below the elliptical CD shape??
The word "Audio" does have to appear below... I'm sure if you stick it in your home DVD player, it would probably play just fine, video and all!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Instructor

The word "Audio" does have to appear below... I'm sure if you stick it in your home DVD player, it would probably play just fine, video and all!
Ah ha!
That was the problem.
Well, thanks 'sasair'. This is the reason why I think this forum is so invluable.

I will look for one of those disc. BTW, I love Eric Clapton so I will enjoy the DVD as well on my TV..

Thanks again, guys.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ah ha!
That was the problem.
Well, thanks 'sasair'. This is the reason why I think this forum is so invluable.

I will look for one of those disc. BTW, I love Eric Clapton so I will enjoy the DVD as well on my TV..

Thanks again, guys.
I have bought some discs from www.dtsonline.com, but they aren't the best prices. I have also ordered some from www.sendmemovies.com, they are better priced, but on my order, which I have yet to receive, they didn't put enough postage on it, so I have a notice from the post office that I have a package to be picked up with postage due of $2. Not a big deal, but a hassle cause now I have to go to the post office to get it.

The Police DTS disc is pretty good, I think it is called Every Breath You Take the Singles or something like that. It is a greatest hits compilation. I also have Sheryl Crow The Globe Sessions, but I haven't listened to it yet, and also some classical stuff. I forget what I ordered from sendmemovies.com, but I will find out later today....
Old 10-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nice info and chart. Thanks for the link.

Remember that this chart only lists those titles that have received 10 or more ratings from users. For a more complete list of whats out there, click on the link near the top of that page for "detailed results". There are ALOT of titles in there. And even that is not a complete list. Great information to have just as a lists of what's out there. Personally I wouldn't pay too much attention to the ratings as you have no idea what people based their rating on, they just might not like the music, which is very subjective.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Teledatageek
Is there a recommended place to buy DVD-A discs? Doesn't seem like there are a lot of them out there.

this is a pretty solid site to find out whats available and whats coming

http://store.acousticsounds.com/dvdaudio.

- and you can search around the net for possibly better prices - like amazon - best buy - borders - barnes noble -

sometimes i find nice deals on ebay -

-
Old 10-13-2006, 04:09 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is a pretty solid site to find out whats available and whats coming

http://store.acousticsounds.com/dvdaudio.

- and you can search around the net for possibly better prices - like amazon - best buy - borders - barnes noble -

sometimes i find nice deals on ebay -

-
That is a good site, thanks! How weird that I'm out shopping for discs again, I thought those days were over!
Old 10-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Missin my TSX =(

thanks for the confirmation... then the dvd audio is completely useless then... i would never buy any music discs of any sorta nowadays...
Old 10-13-2006, 02:33 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Chillintsx,

If you are into music on your PC, you can create DVD-A's of your own that contain over 100 tunes in full wav quality! The DVD-A disc is very robust, and if you don't want to buy any, you can make them.

Check out the TL forum, as there are guys over there that have the whole setup documented to make stereo DVD-A discs from CDs or wav files that will last hours!
Old 10-13-2006, 02:38 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Ah ha!
That was the problem.

Thanks again, guys.
Eric Clapton has three "real" DVD-A's out there that come to mind. One if "Riding with the King", which is a recent album he did with B.B. King. It's in true 5.1 surround. His latest release, "Back Home", can be purchased as a DualDisc that has true DVD-A 5.1 surround on the DVD side. His other release is "Reptile", also DVD-A 5.1 Surround. "Layla", "461 Ocean Blvd", and "Slowhand" were released in 5.1 on SACD, but those do not play in the RDX (except as stereo DVDs). However, if you have the right stuff, you could make 5.1 DVD-A's out of the SACDs by recording the 6 channels into your PC, then burning a DVD-A out of those files with the right software.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:40 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Nice info and chart. Thanks for the link.

Remember that this chart only lists those titles that have received 10 or more ratings from users. For a more complete list of whats out there, click on the link near the top of that page for "detailed results". There are ALOT of titles in there. And even that is not a complete list. Great information to have just as a lists of what's out there. Personally I wouldn't pay too much attention to the ratings as you have no idea what people based their rating on, they just might not like the music, which is very subjective.
True. However, if you go into the forum and look up each title, you will see the reasons for peoples choices. The ratings are based as 1/3 for surround track, 1/3 for sound quality, and 1/3 for content. "10" would be a perfect score.

BTW - in general, beware DVD-A's from the SANCTUARY label, a division of SILVERLINE. These are noted for being fake surround titles.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

Below are the sources of DVD-A's I have seen. I like CDUniverse & bought one from Barnes & Noble:

http://www.cduniverse.com/browsecat....2=221&mode=top

http://www.towerrecords.com/Music/De...=1&to_index=25

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...sp?category=70

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/bout...rid=z0s13HslwY

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...342225-6649714

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...x.asp?offset=0

http://www.elusivedisc.com/products....t_on=&sort_by=

http://www.elssurround.com/news.asp
Old 10-14-2006, 01:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chyllintsx
thanks for the confirmation... then the dvd audio is completely useless then... i would never buy any music discs of any sorta nowadays...
I wouldn't call hearing music you like in full surround sound completely useless....especially when done right.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Cruisin'

If you want to try some audiophile level DVD-Audio discs check out this site http://www.aixrecords.com/index.html

May not be artists that you are familiar with but within the audio community AIX is regarded as the producer of some of the finest sounding DVD-A discs available.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Chillintsx,

If you are into music on your PC, you can create DVD-A's of your own that contain over 100 tunes in full wav quality! The DVD-A disc is very robust, and if you don't want to buy any, you can make them.

Check out the TL forum, as there are guys over there that have the whole setup documented to make stereo DVD-A discs from CDs or wav files that will last hours!
kool, thanks, ill look into that... so i would have to convert them from mp3 to wav files right? .... i think that would be too complicated for me... i dun have a dvd burner yet... the discs i have were from friends... haha
Old 10-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Missin my TSX =(

I wouldn't call hearing music you like in full surround sound completely useless....especially when done right.

haha very true... but for me its useless... anything with alot of bass and free is good IMO haha
Old 10-15-2006, 12:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Teledatageek
That is a good site, thanks! How weird that I'm out shopping for discs again, I thought those days were over!
i agree , to me the weirdest part is trying to choose from titles i would never consider .

and not to offend anyone , but all hi res really has to offer is -

nostalgic carbon dated rock and

middle aged high school orchestra recitals .

but when you find the good ones , there's nothing like hi res in multi channel

-
Old 10-15-2006, 06:54 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

One of the best "newer" releases (newer artist, current release) is BECK - Guero.

However, it's hard to find. Most Best Buy's have this in the DVD Music Video section. It is actually a "deluxe" packge that includes the CD, the DVD-A, and some extra stuff.

You can see the package here:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...ead.php?t=4761

This one has great tunes, excellent surround, and is not a 30 year old recording. It was conceived as a surround disc.

:-jon
Old 10-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

and not to offend anyone , but all hi res really has to offer is -

nostalgic carbon dated rock and

middle aged high school orchestra recitals .
-
I got the 3 Doors Down- Away From the Sun disc, and it is pretty good and only a few years old. Thats about the most current thing I have. Also have a few Barenaked Ladies discs and Shania Twain's- Up disc and Sheryl Crow - Globe sessions, and Alanis Morissette - Under Rug Swept. After that, the generation rockets back in time to the police and the eagles. I would be nice to see the ELS audio systems really take off in cars then maybe there would be more discs made. But with today's online music revolution and MP3 players taking over, I don't see that realistically happening.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:57 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

The problem is that us "old farts" are used to buying physical media, while the modern person is into downloading and all. (That doesn't mean that either does neither!)

So, the market is still skewed towards the older stuff (Eagles, Steely Dan, etc). Since 5.1 mixes are very expensive to make, the labels need to have a market that will buy the discs. They can count on the geezers (like me), but are not sure about the hip hop crowd.

Now, as for the middle aged high school orchestra recitals - I think every age group would avoid those!