Driving styles / techniques with Turbo RDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving styles / techniques with Turbo RDX

I apologize if this was brought up before; but I'm a noob with turbo driving. So far I have experienced torque steer (corrected itself quickly) and unpredictable boost in acceleration (until I figured not to stomp on the gas and that the "wake up" happens at or a little after 2k rpm).

Now this led to some crazy moments during turns and coming from a stop.

Any pointers out there from turbo veterans? I can't be the only one "green thumbed" with forced induction driving.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi, never got torque steer from my RDX. Is your model front drive or SHAWD?
If yours is front drive I guess I could understand the torque steer issue.
The unpredictable boost is common, I still am not used to it. If I floor it from a dead stop it is laggy (boost not yet spooled up). I find if you hit it about three quarters throttle from a dead stop it accelerates quicker. Also if you are on the highway and want to pass a car. I notice it is better to just hit the pattle shifter down a gear or two than to floor it and have the tranny do it for you!
It is a quirky car in acceleration (my opinion) but it is fun.
I am used to V8 engines with torque low and strong, the 4 banger with a turbo just doesn't meet my standards but it's good enough for an SUV.
As far as cornering i the turns, my approach is to go into the turn and about halfway through get on it. The SHAWD seems to grip real good and pull you out of the turn!
If your RDX is front drive than it will have different handling characteristics!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
+ 1
just hit the pattle shifter down a gear or two than to floor it and have the tranny do it for you!
or shift to S Mode (but dont use the paddle shifter,,) and let the tranny downshift for you then accelarate....
Old 08-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
RDX, shifting to S without hitting paddles will only allow upshift to third gear. Good for the pass but eventually you will either want to hit paddle to upshift to 4th then 5th. Or shift back to drive once you pass and let the tranny do it for you.
I find the RDX is the most laggy around town (this is where I keep the shifter in S) and not as fun.
But on the highway it's pretty good and the boost is easy to spool up.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by gsvette
RDX, shifting to S without hitting paddles will only allow upshift to third gear. Good for the pass but eventually you will either want to hit paddle to upshift to 4th then 5th. Or shift back to drive once you pass and let the tranny do it for you.
I find the RDX is the most laggy around town (this is where I keep the shifter in S) and not as fun.
But on the highway it's pretty good and the boost is easy to spool up.
S mode has dif A/F ratio & will change gear at higher rpm compared to D mode

Last edited by R*D*X*; 08-23-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:18 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The A/F mixture is the same in S or D. Not sure where you read that??
A/F mixture changes with the Hondata re-flash and the rev limiter changes with that too.

Higher RPM change is correct, though, with or without Hondata

Old 08-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I just spent several days with a new RDX SH-AWD, from my dealer. I'm an RL driver, so this was my loaner and I can compare it to the CRV, the Pilot and a Jeep 4 liter.

It's peppy, but the turbo lag is huge! The newly-mapped trigger shifters are good, and I found this the best way to smoothly control the vehicle and the turbo boost. Better than stomping on the pedal, a downshift will drive up the RPM and the computer will spool up the turbo immediately due to the input from the transmission.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by XIS
The A/F mixture is the same in S or D. Not sure where you read that??
A/F mixture changes with the Hondata re-flash and the rev limiter changes with that too.

Higher RPM change is correct, though, with or without Hondata

Thanks... I thought i read it somewher that the turbo psi is much higher on S mode??