Door-Panel Protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Door-Panel Protection

Just picked up my new RDX yesterday and noticed that it didn't have door-panel protectors. Since the showroom model and the demo model had them, I assumed they were standard equipment.

Not... so I'm thinking about bringing my RDX back to them add those door-protectors, but first I have a few questions:

1. Are they color-matched to each RDX color?
2. What's a reasonable price to pay them (installed)?
3. Is there a better solution?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1. Yes.
2. See CurryAcura.com --navigate to Accessories/Parts section. You can install yourself if desired. Or have your dealer match their price. It appears to be an easy install.
3. Not from Acura -- these side protector things are made expressly to help protect the door panels; they won't give 100% protection but they will help
Old 12-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, it sucks the mud flaps and side molding are not standard, especially with the tech package.

By all means, get the side molding. They have already saved my car from a few dings. Mud flaps are a must too.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SolidState
Yeah, it sucks the mud flaps and side molding are not standard, especially with the tech package.

By all means, get the side molding. They have already saved my car from a few dings. Mud flaps are a must too.
I'm glad they aren't standard. I prefer mine without them.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Missin my TSX =(

i got the side moldings... looks better... protects from other ppl dinging them... mud guards... i had mine painted... looks better

as for those door protectors... i think they are useless cuz i think the bottom part of the door is stickin out more so they would hit watever first... like mah dad scratched up the left side and my buddy scratched my right side... so pissed... u can see a black dot on my doors now...
Old 12-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pacer
1. Yes.
2. See CurryAcura.com --navigate to Accessories/Parts section. You can install yourself if desired. Or have your dealer match their price. It appears to be an easy install.
3. Not from Acura -- these side protector things are made expressly to help protect the door panels; they won't give 100% protection but they will help
Thanks for the info. My dealer said he would sell them to me at the same price.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SolidState

Based on past experience I've actually seen where having those moldings prevented dings when other (uncaring) people would park next to me and just swing their door open into my door!

A set of 4 mud flaps is a pretty good idea to keep the RDX cleaner, but imho, not as important as the side moldings.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Sidenote: I always always always go way out of my way to park far far away from everyone else. I find the first empty section, then I go two or three empty sections beyond that and park in a corner or way to the back of that empty section. Reason not to park in that first empty section is that some IDIOT will not only park next to you but impossibly close such that you can barely enter your own ride.

Parking garages and limited parking lots are kinda' tough -- for those I just try to drive around 'til I find an end spot then park as far away as possible from the car next to me, even if it means I must squeeze out my driver's side.

In three-plus years of owning both my Element and my S2K, both are completely free of door dings thanks to these precautions. My Stealth had the door protectors as well and they took some hits in the 10 years that I owned it...but I had it 10 years and hey that was before I got consistent about parking.

Now, your passenger hitting your door on a curb or gas station pole -- or if they're like my ex-in-laws -- just careless as all get out and bang open the door and hit your OTHER CAR in your own garage (thus damaging BOTH your cars, thanks a lot!!) as you try not to hit the ceiling in anger -- ahhhhh, make THOSE PEOPLE get out in the driveway!

I also remind my passengers to be careful exiting if I'm forced to park in a tight spot. A little care, and a little extra walking...goes a long way.

I'll never forget the time I had just had my '93 Stealth (aka The Batmobile) repainted and that same evening I got it back, my late wife opened her door and chipped off a chunk of emerald green onto a brick wall...serenity now, serenity now! That was just part of her charm, though. Obviously she came by it honestly what with her door-banging parents. Ha!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Advanced

Pacer, while I also go out of my way to find a good parking spot, more often than not someone is parked next to me when I return.

And sometimes ya just got to take whatever you can get, especially this time of year!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:55 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

I hear you, brother. I hear you. That's the time to think about adding the side moldings.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:28 AM
Instructor

I'm not sure what the exact price is from the dealer but you can get them from a reputable seller on ebay, in your specified color, for $200USD shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-G...69162103QQrdZ1
Old 12-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by omgacuralol
I'm not sure what the exact price is from the dealer but you can get them from a reputable seller on ebay, in your specified color, for $200USD shipped.

I'm getting them installed tomorrow (by my Acura dealer) for $180 + tax.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by omgacuralol

Yeah they are $188 from honda acura world, and $187 from curry, both shipped, so you got a pretty good deal for $180 from the dealer especially with installation. Not that isntallation is hard at all. It is a peel and stick item, but at least you can hold the dealer responsible for anything that goes wrong with it.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sasair
Yeah they are $188 from honda acura world, and $187 from curry, both shipped, so you got a pretty good deal for $180 from the dealer especially with installation. Not that isntallation is hard at all. It is a peel and stick item, but at least you can hold the dealer responsible for anything that goes wrong with it.
Well worth any of those prices if they prevent door-dings!
Old 12-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pvsurfer
Well worth any of those prices if they prevent door-dings!
I posed this question in the last discussion about these side moldings. After you just paid about $200 for these things, and someone swings their door open next to you and hits the molding square, how would you feel having a gash in your side molding rather than a ding in your door? Wouldn't you be just as upset? In fact wouldn't you be a little more upset? To repair the gash in the molding, you could replace it for another $200. To repair the ding in your door, maybe $80 at any PDR shop. There's also the very likely possibility that the car next to you is going to hit your car, but not on the molding, especially these days with all the SUVs out there, that molding is pretty low.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Advanced

I posed this question in the last discussion about these side moldings. After you just paid about $200 for these things, and someone swings their door open next to you and hits the molding square, how would you feel having a gash in your side molding rather than a ding in your door? Wouldn't you be just as upset? In fact wouldn't you be a little more upset? To repair the gash in the molding, you could replace it for another $200. To repair the ding in your door, maybe $80 at any PDR shop. There's also the very likely possibility that the car next to you is going to hit your car, but not on the molding, especially these days with all the SUVs out there, that molding is pretty low.
Don't know about PDR shops in So Cal, but I've paid at least $200 each time I had a dinged door on my Honda Accord repaired. And regarding molding gashes, I would say that if the force was enough to leave a gash in the molding, you would have a dent rather than a ding in your door-panel!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:06 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

I will take any sort of impact or paint damage in plastic moldings over metal any day, seriously. The plastic part has a better chance of handling the impact with less damage. And not all dents/dings can be PDR'd, especially nowadays with all sorts of side impact reinforcements in doors. Furthermore not all PDR work is successful -- I have seen perfect repairs and not so perfect repairs. All in all, I would like the extra safety margin of the side moldings myself.... you may still get dents, but the molding will prevent some of them.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pvsurfer
Don't know about PDR shops in So Cal, but I've paid at least $200 each time I had a dinged door on my Honda Accord repaired. And regarding molding gashes, I would say that if the force was enough to leave a gash in the molding, you would have a dent rather than a ding in your door-panel!
It doesn't take much to gash the side moldings because of how soft they are. If the impat comes straight at it it will absorb with little or no damage, but a fully open swinging door will hit it at a much sharper angle and gash it pretty easy where the same sharp angle hit will just ding the metal.

My PDR shop that I use claims they can remove dents the size of basketballs! I just recently had 6 dings removed from an RSX and the total cost was $300. Looks like it just came out of the factory now. Can't even find where the dings were anymore.

Edit: Two of the dings they removed were on the hood, dead center right over the reinforcement under the hood, but they still got to them perfectly.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Advanced

It doesn't take much to gash the side moldings because of how soft they are. If the impat comes straight at it it will absorb with little or no damage, but a fully open swinging door will hit it at a much sharper angle and gash it pretty easy where the same sharp angle hit will just ding the metal.

My PDR shop that I use claims they can remove dents the size of basketballs! I just recently had 6 dings removed from an RSX and the total cost was $300. Looks like it just came out of the factory now. Can't even find where the dings were anymore.

Edit: Two of the dings they removed were on the hood, dead center right over the reinforcement under the hood, but they still got to them perfectly.
I will certainly keep those types of shops in mind, BUT I still believe the side-moldings make good protection-sense. And as far as the cost of replacing the molding, purchasing a 2nd set for about $180 actually gives you a couple of spares in the event of a gash!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:36 AM
Advanced

Smile

At the end of this discussion (way back when) it sounded like most agreed that mouldings were good reassurance, if anything. But what about looks??

Function is fine, but unless the mldgs 'sup up the vehicle - make it look better, faster - I'm not sure I want them. Any thoughts on form as opposed to function, of the mouldngs?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

definitely a personal preference type of thing. I prefer the clean look without them, while others prefer the accessorized look with them. I didn't get the rof rack for the same reason. Although the roof rack has a bit more function than the side mouldings. If you're getting the roof rack and the rear diffuser and the running boards, then sure go ahead and get the side mouldings too. I think they just stick on, so if you really hated them after you got them, you could always have them removed.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mommy_barbie
At the end of this discussion (way back when) it sounded like most agreed that mouldings were good reassurance, if anything. But what about looks??

Function is fine, but unless the mldgs 'sup up the vehicle - make it look better, faster - I'm not sure I want them. Any thoughts on form as opposed to function, of the mouldngs?
Royal Blue with 18" rims:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365
Old 01-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Advanced

Wow!! Sparkle silver finish on an 18" Acura Rim?? Now how did you manage to accomplish that?? I thought sparkle silver was only available in the 19" (which requires the expense of extra tires etc.) when purchased from the dealier. They look totally awesome!!

Your trim on that royal blue looks pretty good - at least on a dark colour, it's barely even noticeable!!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Racer

Wow!! Sparkle silver finish on an 18" Acura Rim?? Now how did you manage to accomplish that?? I thought sparkle silver was only available in the 19" (which requires the expense of extra tires etc.) when purchased from the dealier. They look totally awesome!!

Your trim on that royal blue looks pretty good - at least on a dark colour, it's barely even noticeable!!
Confusion on my part, I meant 19".
Old 01-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pacer
I hear you, brother. I hear you. That's the time to think about adding the side moldings.
I've had my RDX only two days and it's already saved my paint twice!

And I think they look good.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by econman
I've had my RDX only two days and it's already saved my paint twice!

And I think they look good.
Ditto ....well worth the cost.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Advanced

Talking

Thanks for all that input (way back when). You know, I barely notice the side mouldings, and when I do, I think they look pretty good. Definately $ well spent.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:44 AM
Racer

Thanks for all that input (way back when). You know, I barely notice the side mouldings, and when I do, I think they look pretty good. Definately $ well spent.

That's great to hear, what color and options did you get?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Hey SolidState - thanks for the note. My RDX is a silver w/ebony interior TECH. It has the following add-ons:

- front spoiler
- rear diffuser
- side mouldings
- all weather mats
- cargo tray
- rear bumper applique

I might add the roof rack and maybe even the running boards closer to spring/summer when I spend a little time in the Rockies.

Sorry no pics yet - I'm in the process of picking up a new camera but will make sure to add to the owner's picks thread as soon as I can.

So nice to finally be driving and not sitting around waiting, waiting...