Discounts on RDXs

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my RDX in PA but registered it in NJ. No hassle, sale tax was paid at the dealer using NJ sales tax rates and they handled the paperwork. Registration happened within two weeks, all the paperwork was ready, the NJ authorities did a formality inspection and replaced the PA registration sticker with an NJ one.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:08 PM
4th Gear

WA dealers are very slow to respond to email and all demand over a thousand over invoice. Amazing. Don't they need to sell cars or something?

I got in touch with both Portland and Bay Area dealers - they were much more responsive to email (within an hour I think) and more reasonable wrt prices than any of WA dealers.
My impression is the closer you get to the snow area, the higher the price goes. About $1-$2 per mile or so. Sad, but not surprising.

Both Portland and Bay Area dealers said they know how to do out-of-state deals no problem.
So I guess it's down to WA "Lemon" law - it only covers the in-state purchases. With Acura I probably shouldn't have to worry about that, but there is still some value to that legal protection (my boss has lemoned two landrovers couple of years back).

Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:10 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
18" stock chrome wheels

Originally Posted by OC-RDX
18" Chrome Wheels
There are some on ebay for $575. Advance swap.

Now I know why the Anaheim Acura dealer had so many RDXs with the 18" chrome wheels. These guys are also in Anaheim.
Had my 18" stock chrome wheels installed today. Very pleased with the result. Will post pics tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:47 AM
4th Gear

Northern NJ/New York area quote

Got this response from a dealer in New Jersey after submitting a quote request online. Is anyone getting closer to invoice on the Tech package in Northern New Jersey?

_______

We have received your purchase request and we do welcome the opportunity to serve your new car needs and have you as a customer of XXXXXXXXXXX.

The new addition to the Acura family, the 2007 Acura RDX has just arrived, and we do await your visit.

We can do a full presentation of all the features and then have you out for a test drive in the RDX as well. You'll see firsthand why this will be the vehicle by which all others will be compared!

Pricing is set at $34,960.00 for the Tech Package. We will extend, at no cost to you, a full Protection Package, Wheel Locks-Cargo Tray & All Season Mats as well.
Please feel free to reach anyone thru the Internet Dept. thru email or at XXX-XXX-XXXX with any other questions you may have.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Advanced

This is similar to the first response I got on my two internet requests (for our 2002 MDX five years ago and our new RDX). They want you in there to try to make the deal quickly. Respond that you have seen the vehicle and want to know their best deal. Tell them you are interested in paying at or near invoice. Don't let the add ons fool you, they are not worth a lot to them. Hold your ground and be patient. It is still early in the month and if you can wait until nearer the end, they will be very anxious to deal. Did you try other dealers? Do the same withy them. Good luck. Jay
Old 12-10-2006, 05:24 PM
4th Gear

I will do that. The good news is that my lease on my old car isn't up until February, so time is on my side . . . I don't need to rush into anything. I will hold out until I can get a deal near invoice.

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated!
Old 12-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RSmith1217
I will do that. The good news is that my lease on my old car isn't up until February, so time is on my side . . . I don't need to rush into anything. I will hold out until I can get a deal near invoice.

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated!
You'll get closer to invoice if you can: 1) Tell them that you want to buy the car soon! If the dealer can smell a sale, he'll be willing to bargain. 2) You're willing to buy what he has on the lot. If you're flexible on color and can buy it now, they'll be willing to deal.

Got mine for a very nice price - very close to invoice.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:35 PM
rdxsteverino

18" Chrome Stock Wheels

Originally Posted by jasplat88
BTW...did anyone have their wheels chomed? Does Acura offer that or is it after-market? I want to get the stock wheels in chrome (not the 19" upgrades). Was wondering what the cost was....anyone?

-Jason
Finally got my 18" wheels chromed and installed. I am very pleased with the result. Paid $600. Pics at the link below:
RDX Chrome Wheels
Old 12-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
Finally got my 18" wheels chromed and installed. I am very pleased with the result. Paid $600. Pics at the link below:
RDX Chrome Wheels

Looks sharp!

Except for the roof rack & mud guards, looks just like mine.

Before I bought mine, I saw a White Pearl RDX with these wheels. It looked great!
Old 12-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Racer

Finally did it. Got a silver tech with wheel locks for 34,000 yesterday in NorCal. It can be done.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by creativeguy
Finally did it. Got a silver tech with wheel locks for 34,000 yesterday in NorCal. It can be done.
Great deal Creativeguy. When do you pick it up? Was it a hard negoitation? Good luck. Jay
Old 12-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Cruisin'

Got this response from a dealer in New Jersey after submitting a quote request online. Is anyone getting closer to invoice on the Tech package in Northern New Jersey?
_______

We have received your purchase request and we do welcome the opportunity to serve your new car needs and have you as a customer of XXXXXXXXXXX.

The new addition to the Acura family, the 2007 Acura RDX has just arrived, and we do await your visit.

We can do a full presentation of all the features and then have you out for a test drive in the RDX as well. You'll see firsthand why this will be the vehicle by which all others will be compared!

Pricing is set at $34,960.00 for the Tech Package. We will extend, at no cost to you, a full Protection Package, Wheel Locks-Cargo Tray & All Season Mats as well.
Please feel free to reach anyone thru the Internet Dept. thru email or at XXX-XXX-XXXX with any other questions you may have.

RSmith,

E-mail looks very similar to e-mails I have seen, It seems I may have picked up my RDX Tech last week from XXXXXXXXXX dealer in NNJ ;-)

I paid 33.5k , they also threw in the extras even though I didn't want them (protection package)

Thats about 500 under invoice, so I think I did OK.

BTW, car is amazing, it rides like a car so much smaller, so tight and quick. Also getting 18-21 mpg so far so peoples compaints on that seem to be unfounded so far in the first 250 miles ;-)

I knew it was a good car, but it has impressed me much more than I thought.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JayCT
Great deal Creativeguy. When do you pick it up? Was it a hard negoitation? Good luck. Jay
Pick it up tonight. No worker bees to clean it up on a sunday. It wasn't much to look at yesterday with all the plastic baggies still on. It should be cleaned up and sparkling tonight.

The negotiation wasn't too hard. At least in my area, reality has set in and dealers are acknowledging that invoice is the price.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:48 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

[QUOTE=creativeguy]Pick it up tonight. No worker bees to clean it up on a sunday. It wasn't much to look at yesterday with all the plastic baggies still on. [QUOTE]

Those 'worker bees' are detailers who clean many cars all day long and do so in the cold in winter and the heat in summer, all to serve you, the Mighty Consumer. Show a little respect.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by creativeguy
How did you do that if the price of the non navi RDX is 33.5K?

Tough negotiations?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Advanced

The invoice price of the RDX with nav is $33,290, so $33,500 is $210 over invoice. The dealer gets money back from Acura (called holdback) of approximately 2%, so while it sounds like the deal is only making $210 on the deal, he really is making $880 ($210 plus $670 holdback).

In addition, they get money from the manufacturer if their sales figures are above a certain point each month, which is why most dealers are anxious to negoiate better deals toward the end of the month. They will also make money on your trade-in, despite what they will tell you.

I paid $200 under invoice for a non-nav. One out-of-state dealer called me last minute and said $500 under invoice. They were really anxious. So there are deals to be had if you are willing to be patient and negoiate hard. Jay
Old 12-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
How did you do that if the price of the non navi RDX is 33.5K?

Tough negotiations?

It almost never snows in San Francisco, so there is no seasonal rush for a certain type of vehicle like some people are reporting in the North and Northeast. Light demand = better prices.

... and I have the upmost respect for worker bees of all colors, creeds, and occupations, throughout the world.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:33 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Moonman
RSmith,

E-mail looks very similar to e-mails I have seen, It seems I may have picked up my RDX Tech last week from XXXXXXXXXX dealer in NNJ ;-)

I paid 33.5k , they also threw in the extras even though I didn't want them (protection package)

Thats about 500 under invoice, so I think I did OK.

BTW, car is amazing, it rides like a car so much smaller, so tight and quick. Also getting 18-21 mpg so far so peoples compaints on that seem to be unfounded so far in the first 250 miles ;-)

I knew it was a good car, but it has impressed me much more than I thought.
Moonman, thanks for the message . . . very good to know that deals can be had in NNJ!!!

If you don't mind sharing specifics, feel free to email me at richsmith at optonline dot net. If you don't reply, I won't be offended, was just wondering what dealer you went to and how much you did beforehand, etc.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:49 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I guess you sell Acuras for a living so you know what you're talking about, right?

Dealers do not get money if their sales figures are above a certain amount. If you sell more cars you can buy more cars but there is no bonus. Also the holdback you talk about is sometimes used partially or totally up by the flooring costs on the vehicle before it is sold. The left over amount is very often used to pay overall dealership costs. This is not 'free money' that goes into everybody's pocket.

This isn't a 'feel bad for the dealership' post, but you don't have the entire story right. The RDX is not moving so, until production gets cut way back, enjoy the party.

The invoice price of the RDX with nav is $33,290, so $33,500 is $210 over invoice. The dealer gets money back from Acura (called holdback) of approximately 2%, so while it sounds like the deal is only making $210 on the deal, he really is making $880 ($210 plus $670 holdback).

In addition, they get money from the manufacturer if their sales figures are above a certain point each month, which is why most dealers are anxious to negoiate better deals toward the end of the month. They will also make money on your trade-in, despite what they will tell you.

I paid $200 under invoice for a non-nav. One out-of-state dealer called me last minute and said $500 under invoice. They were really anxious. So there are deals to be had if you are willing to be patient and negoiate hard. Jay
Old 12-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Advanced

actually there are dealer incentives, cash, games bonuses, etc that are not public. You have to log into the manufacture/dealer intranet to view them. I have access to a couple manufactures, but its not uncommon in the business, so I have no reason to believe honda.acura dont play the same game with sales managers.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CL6
I guess you sell Acuras for a living so you know what you're talking about, right?

Dealers do not get money if their sales figures are above a certain amount. If you sell more cars you can buy more cars but there is no bonus. Also the holdback you talk about is sometimes used partially or totally up by the flooring costs on the vehicle before it is sold. The left over amount is very often used to pay overall dealership costs. This is not 'free money' that goes into everybody's pocket.

This isn't a 'feel bad for the dealership' post, but you don't have the entire story right. The RDX is not moving so, until production gets cut way back, enjoy the party.

CL6 - You are right, I do not sell Acuras for a living, but I do buy them and other vehicles occasionally and do a lot of research beforehand to make sure that I get the best deal possible.

A lot of people assume that invoice is what the dealer pays for the vehicle and are unaware of other money the dealer gets when they sell a vehicle. The costs you mention are the costs of doing business and there is money left over that is called profit otherwise they wouldn't be selling cars to begin with.

I do not begrudge the dealer from making money on the sale of a vehicle, but the way the "game" is set up is not in the consumer's favor. The information that is available helps the consumer better understand what they are paying for and how to play the "game" to get the best deal. JMHO Jay
Old 12-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Cruisin'

Moonman, thanks for the message . . . very good to know that deals can be had in NNJ!!!

If you don't mind sharing specifics, feel free to email me at richsmith at optonline dot net. If you don't reply, I won't be offended, was just wondering what dealer you went to and how much you did beforehand, etc.

You know its funny...I wonder how many dealers troll this site trying to get a beat on the RDX community. And I wonder if the dealers use it for there own purposes. I have found this site to be incredibly valuable, not just for trying to determine what the market value of the car is but also answers to any and all questions about this car. Having gone through the annoying car buying process just last week, I am gunshy about specifics. I have no basis for this paranoia.

Anyway, Rich, I submitted a quote request through an internet site that distributed it out to 8-9 dealers. I played email tag with a few low ones, had had my trade apprasied at one of them. One of the high ballers sent me a follow up and I told them I had a good offer already and then the high baller became a low baller. I got Edmunds TMV for a trade in on my trade (yes not wholesale, yes they will make money) and like I said 500 under inv. for the RDX. Maybe Edmunds TMV on trade is not accurate but all in all I got what I thought was fair with all the information availible. I spent a minimal amount of time, negociating in person , and tried to get numbers down through e-mail. I found as long as they thought you were going to purchase, they would deal through e-mail and come down in price. If you enjoy the negociating and like getting up and "walking out" to get a deal, you probably can do better.

Any and all: Feel free to de bunk, tell me its not a good deal, I'm happy so the deal worked for me.

MM

PS. It doesn't hurt that while I was waiting for the appraisal, I overheard the salesman and his manager discussing my trade and the overall deal
Old 12-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Advanced

I think you got a great deal man! Dont let anything ruin it.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:44 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Let's just say dealers lie sometimes and so do customers. Enjoy the RDX feeding frenzy while it lasts. Acura pinned too many hopes on this car (can we say "RL" here?) and pumped too many out.

I think it's pretty sad that a car which is 3 months old sells for invoice or, in some cases, below that. Will be interesting to see what Acura does about that situation.

I do not begrudge the dealer from making money on the sale of a vehicle, but the way the "game" is set up is not in the consumer's favor. The information that is available helps the consumer better understand what they are paying for and how to play the "game" to get the best deal. JMHO Jay
Old 12-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CL6
Let's just say dealers lie sometimes and so do customers. Enjoy the RDX feeding frenzy while it lasts. Acura pinned too many hopes on this car (can we say "RL" here?) and pumped too many out.

I think it's pretty sad that a car which is 3 months old sells for invoice or, in some cases, below that. Will be interesting to see what Acura does about that situation.
I agree

Sad for Acura

Happy for me
Old 12-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Instructor

I agree

Sad for Acura

Happy for me
well, based on relative prices, there certainly is a bit of room for them to divert some production to the Canadian market - here seems like 1k below MSRP is still about as good as it gets. Considering Acura is making even more money off of the exchange rate they apply to calculate Canadian MSRP (so the invoice price is actually much higher in Canada than in the US) plus Honda Canada Finance isn't offering the same deals as in the US, would seem to be a pretty good move on Honda's part to add some more metrics to the run and keep them out of the US.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Advanced

My dealer, whom I have bought three cars from in less than two years sent me an email today telling me all about the RDX. Surely I've heard of it they said...the very people that sold me one. Gets better, they tell me I can now get the RDX for 33, 950(Tech) plus for well qualified buyers, 1.9 % interest and free oil changes for life. So after only two and a half months my car sells for 3K less plus I have to pay for oil changes. Won't happen again.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mvwood
well, based on relative prices, there certainly is a bit of room for them to divert some production to the Canadian market - here seems like 1k below MSRP is still about as good as it gets. Considering Acura is making even more money off of the exchange rate they apply to calculate Canadian MSRP (so the invoice price is actually much higher in Canada than in the US) plus Honda Canada Finance isn't offering the same deals as in the US, would seem to be a pretty good move on Honda's part to add some more metrics to the run and keep them out of the US.

I have a tsx and love it. My wife has a 02 crv we are looking to replace. We can afford the rdx, but will not jump as I think Canadians are getting screwed by Acura on this thing. As far as I am concerned, they should be selling the tech package for the base price - not a nickel more. Till then, Honda knows where they can stuff their surplus rdx's.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Advanced

thats the price of being the early adopter. You just live and learn, but if you have enjoyed your car for the last few months, then that might justify it for you. The worst part for owners is that the resale value on these is going to tank. To add salt to the wound, the 08 version will most likely address many shortcomings in hopes of reviving sales.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zircon
I have a tsx and love it. My wife has a 02 crv we are looking to replace. We can afford the rdx, but will not jump as I think Canadians are getting screwed by Acura on this thing. As far as I am concerned, they should be selling the tech package for the base price - not a nickel more. Till then, Honda knows where they can stuff their surplus rdx's.
we are getting screwed on it. Problem is, as far as I could tell, we would have been getting screwed on pretty much everything else. It wasn't like this was relatively so much more expensive than the RAV4 or anything else, just in Canada we seem to get screwed in general. COurse the 14% combined sales tax doesn't help either.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Advanced

blame your country's government and its trade relationship with japan. Unforunately not everyone has the power of the US to throw their weight around.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by s4iscool
blame your country's government and its trade relationship with japan. Unforunately not everyone has the power of the US to throw their weight around.
doubt it. Would suspect because it is built in Ohio there is enough US content for it to qualify as North American under NAFTA.

No, I blame the significant appreciation of the Canadian dollar in the past year and car companies' unwillingness to pass along the entirety of that adjustment to consumers.

Any duties or the like should reflect in the freight charges, which are also more than twice US destination charges, which also appears to hardly make any sense at all because even for Fords and stuff it is way more expensive and Toronto is a lot closer to Ohio and Michigan than California.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Anyone know what the deal is regarding trade-ins? I'm unclear as to how tax would work when trading in your car for a new one.

for eg. I have a trade-in worth $16,000 subtracted from an RDX which is $34,000. Would I get taxed after the trade-in is deducted ($18,000 +tax?). Or would they charge $34,000 +tax first then subtract the trade-in value?

thanks,
Old 12-13-2006, 11:36 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by Animagix
Anyone know what the deal is regarding trade-ins? I'm unclear as to how tax would work when trading in your car for a new one.

for eg. I have a trade-in worth $16,000 subtracted from an RDX which is $34,000. Would I get taxed after the trade-in is deducted ($18,000 +tax?). Or would they charge $34,000 +tax first then subtract the trade-in value?

thanks,

Some states will only charge tax on the $18K. Not mine -- I would be taxed on the full $34K. Check to see what your local sales tax laws say, or ask a local dealer.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

price in Northeast?

any ideas on current prices of the RDX (with and w/o tech package) in the northeast...Boston area?
the best I am getting is about 1000 off MSRP....
If i wait til the end of december should I expect better prices?
thx
Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mvwood
we are getting screwed on it. Problem is, as far as I could tell, we would have been getting screwed on pretty much everything else. It wasn't like this was relatively so much more expensive than the RAV4 or anything else, just in Canada we seem to get screwed in general. COurse the 14% combined sales tax doesn't help either.

Agree completely. It is like the UK, where every car maker screws the Brits. We need a class action lawsuit for price fixing. I may pop over to the states and buy either a new Lexus or Infiniti. Much cheaper than buying in Canada.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rdxh
any ideas on current prices of the RDX (with and w/o tech package) in the northeast...Boston area?
the best I am getting is about 1000 off MSRP....
If i wait til the end of december should I expect better prices?
thx
Most of what I've seen both from my personal experience and on the boards in regards to the northeast has been the ny/ct areas. It seems most people are able to get down to about 34500-35even. I think you can probably negotiate better on a nonTech. I just purchased my Tech at 35 here in ct and was happy with that. You probably will do better though if you wait till the end of the month. But, btw, the car's totally worth it! I love my RDX!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Advanced

Credit Cards Accepted?

Can anyone tell me if Acura dealers would accept my American Express card in partial payment (up to my credit limit) for an RDX?

...and before anyone asks why I would want to pay high credit card interest, I don't and won't... It's just a means to float a large chunk of change for 30-days at no interest.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:15 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

We accept $2,500 max. Most are limited because it doesn't make financial sense to allow complete payment...

Originally Posted by pvsurfer
Can anyone tell me if Acura dealers would accept my American Express card in partial payment (up to my credit limit) for an RDX?

...and before anyone asks why I would want to pay high credit card interest, I don't and won't... It's just a means to float a large chunk of change for 30-days at no interest.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CL6
We accept $2,500 max. Most are limited because it doesn't make financial sense to allow complete payment...
I admit being pretty ignorant about this, but is that limit because of what you have to pay AMX for charging a larger amount?

Quick Reply: Discounts on RDXs