Dealer MIX UP

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer MIX UP

Just heard from the dealer - despite being told specifically to leave the rear diffuser off, the service guys have gone ahead and bolted it on!!

They're going to call back about this - but I was thinking I'd leave it off altogether when I gave them their instructions - it's not that functional AND it's close to $600.

Any ideas of how I should address this mix up??
Old 01-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mommy_barbie
Just heard from the dealer - despite being told specifically to leave the rear diffuser off, the service guys have gone ahead and bolted it on!!

They're going to call back about this - but I was thinking I'd leave it off altogether when I gave them their instructions - it's not that functional AND it's close to $600.

Any ideas of how I should address this mix up??
If you told them specifically not to install the diffuser (would be great if you had email correspondence illustrating - that's why I ALWAYS put my deals on paper), then they should give it to you for free. After all, if I'm not mistaken, the diffuser requires the tech to drill holes which aren't easily repaired.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you are definitely getting a diffuser at this point. The question now is who is paying for it.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mommy, this sounds like at best a mistake and at worst a dealer trick. Likely it is simply a mistake. But that doesn't mean you should pay for it -- depending on what you told them before. If they say either you pay for it or they'll remove it, you say, "Then give me a different vehicle that doesn't have the holes drilled into the rear."

UNLESS you told them you wanted the diffuser and then when you called them back, it was already on there. That would be your bad...and ethically, I'd say, yeah, you should pay for it, or else live with the holes from where it was removed.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Advanced

No, the last words they heard from me were "leave the rear diffuser OFF."

This morning, the dealer contacted me again. They said we could come down and check out the vehicle with the diffuser on, and if we liked it and wanted to keep it on the vehicle, we could pay $195CDN for it plus 6 % GST tax (as opposed to the $563 CDN it costs to purchase it outside of a package).

If we don't like it, they will trade the vehicle for one without the diffuser. The only issue here, is that no one in town has a new RDX like ours (unless they coincidentally had another silver tech arrive at the same time as ours but I haven't seen one in the lot). We waited forever to get ours.

I'm waiting now to hear how long it would take to replace the vehicle. Then, Ill check it out and see how it looks.

What do you guys think??
Old 01-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Advanced

I stand corrected...

Hi Guys - The dealer just contacted me to note that there was (another) misunderstanding. If we DO NOT like the diffuser, they will only replace the bumper with a new bumper, not trade in the vehicle for another RDX.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Crap, that bites! How close is the next dealer? I'd tell these guys to take a hike. Seriously. I know it stinks to wait, but you might get a better deal anyway shopping around a bit. Unless you like the diffuser a lot, I wouldn't give them anything for it. The rear bumper replacement sounds odd, too. I wouldn't mess with that, that will negatively effect resale and who knows how well it will match the paint, etc. Sorry to hear about this!
Old 01-04-2007, 05:03 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Just walk from the deal. I bet they will give you the diffuser for free rather than lose the deal.

Do not accept a new bumper -- it would never be as good as a bumper with factory paint.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by c_hunter
Just walk from the deal. I bet they will give you the diffuser for free rather than lose the deal.

Do not accept a new bumper -- it would never be as good as a bumper with factory paint.
The replacement bumpers come with factory paint already, but still it might be from a different batch and enough to cause a mismatch. But I doubt the dealer would order a new bumper for the vehicle before giving the diffuser for free anyway...

They might try to switch one off another RDX of the same color though, and you don't want that either. I haven't looked closely enough at the body parts on the RDX, but I know on my RSX, every replaceable body part has a sticker with the original VIN number on it. This is how you can tell if parts have been replaced or more specifically if the vehicle has been in an accident. I would guess they still do that if they did it in 2004.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:41 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by sasair
The replacement bumpers come with factory paint already, but still it might be from a different batch and enough to cause a mismatch. But I doubt the dealer would order a new bumper for the vehicle before giving the diffuser for free anyway...

What makes you think they come painted? Every Honda replacement body part I know of comes with primer only, and needs to be painted. I seriously doubt the RDX is any different. In fact, none of the auto manufactureres sell pre-painted body parts -- they would be far too difficult to ship without damage.

The only stuff that is prepainted is accessories like spoilers, etc.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:33 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you know it's 100% not your fault, then tell them you 'do not' want a replacement bumper. That doesn't come pre-painted and i would walk from the deal.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Missin my TSX =(

600 bux for the diffuser? if i remember correctly, i bought it for like 200 and installed it myself.. u should fight for it free or just pay for the part, not the installation... def do not get a new bumper
Old 01-05-2007, 01:46 AM
Advanced

Talking

Yeah, $600 does - I rounded up, but I think it's exactly $563 - that's in CDN dollars though (everything here is more $$$ - lucky us ) Anyways, labour is included as well, though I don't know how much work is involved.

Thank you for the tips on the dealer's offer to replace the bumper - I had a feeling that sounded like a bad idea, and boy - is it ever. I'll definately avoid this alternative!!

Anyways, you guys are great - thanks for all the support and good comments!!