Dealer doesn't recommend tire rotation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:00 PM
I really have an RDX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer doesn't recommend tire rotation?

My wife just took our RDX in for it's 18k B1 service. Oddly -- the service manager did not recommend tire rotation. I thought this was a recommended B1 service for our vehicles? Has anyone ever had their dealer not do this at B1?

I certainly can do it myself, just curious why the dealer wouldn't have done it since it was already there.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Instructor

I think Acura is downgrading their service personnel. I didn't realize that new vehicles in Texas don't require a smog test on new cars until they're two years old.

Apparently the service advisor at my Acura dealership didn't either. He made an appointment for me, knowing that my car was only a year old, and only for a state inspection to be done.

I told him I'd wait for the car, since I had my laptop with me and could get caught up with some emails.

Two hours later, the cashier called me over to tell my car was ready, and that there was no charge, and new cars didn't require an inspection for two years.

The service advisor never came out to me to explain.

This was the same guy who, when I came in to ask for help with setting up the HFL for a new cell phone, said he didn't know how, and told to go ask someone in the sales department to do it for me. A salesman did, and it took him all of about 5 minutes.

Needless to say, I don't take my RDX to the dealer for routine service. I keep going to an independent Honda/Acura garage that's been doing service on my Honda/Acura vehicles for years, with never a problem.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the knowledge of the service advisors vary from dealership to dealership (any manufacturer). The advisor at my dealership is very knowledgeable and is aware of all the factory maintenance intervals and what is supposed to be done at each of them.
Having said that the advisors at my local Nissan dealership didn't have a clue what was going on with their own cars, likewise with the Porsche dealership.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLObserver
My wife just took our RDX in for it's 18k B1 service. Oddly -- the service manager did not recommend tire rotation. I thought this was a recommended B1 service for our vehicles? Has anyone ever had their dealer not do this at B1?

I certainly can do it myself, just curious why the dealer wouldn't have done it since it was already there.
Technically according to the manual if you have a 1 after the main service letter then it calls for a tire rotation. It doesnt mean you "need" it but that is what the maintenance minder has called for. So your dealer may have looked at the history of the car and felt you didnt need it. Your advisor could also be dense, but I dont know.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 AM
ddb
Instructor

Originally Posted by john50
The service advisor never came out to me to explain.

This was the same guy who, when I came in to ask for help with setting up the HFL for a new cell phone, said he didn't know how, and told to go ask someone in the sales department to do it for me. A salesman did, and it took him all of about 5 minutes.
Well, to be fair, it's not the job of the service department to give you a free "learn-how-to-use-your-car" lesson. Frankly, it's not the job of some salesman, either, except for when you first take delivery of your car.

The manual that came with your vehicle could have easily walked you through setting up a new phone, saving you the time of driving over to the dealership.

- DDB