Daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
The DRLs on my Chevy Camaro were in the front parking lights, so that the Low/ High beams did not burn out early from constant DRL usage. Varies by vehicle which is used for DRLs, HI or LO.

Acura could have done the same on the RDX, i.e., use a cheaper light to burn for the DRLs, as on the TLs or other brands.

Also, those of us who live out in the 'sticks' use brighter HI beams, so we can actually see on those back roads. And those bulbs cost more - do not like them burning up at a faster rate because of the DRLs.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:13 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I know I came late to this conversation, but wouldn't a sensible solution to the DLR "problem" in the RDX be solved by getting another vehicle?
I do think that there should be an override option to turn them off if you wish to, but not to deactivate them fully.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:10 AM
PM me if you need a reply

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I removed the DRL fuse but now I can't use the fogs without the low's being on. Back in goes the fuse
Old 11-13-2010, 11:41 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by InfamousJamous
I removed the DRL fuse but now I can't use the fogs without the low's being on. Back in goes the fuse
did you get an error light in the MID?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:49 PM
PM me if you need a reply

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Sorry, the fuse didn't help with the fogs. Are we not able to use the fogs without low beams? No error light..
Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
brake switch.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Crazy one cannot easily turn off DRL's

Here is another reason to not have mandatory DRL's. I want to drive my family through Christmas lights at the local race track as well as the various drive throughs in the neighborhoods. Lights are prohibited in these events. Again, I shouldn't be FORCED to have lights on when there are many logical and safe reasons to not have them on. Very Stupid of Acura to FORCE owners to comply when there are NO OTHER CARS that force this.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:33 PM
StayAtHomeDad

The DRL are not that bright, certainly not enough to ruin Christmas lights. But I do agree that there should be a way to override it at te flip of a switch or push of a button
Old 12-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by wrestrepo
I know I came late to this conversation, but wouldn't a sensible solution to the DLR "problem" in the RDX be solved by getting another vehicle?
Sensible solution? Really? There is nothing sensible about buying another vehicle because you don't like the DRL's in the one you currently own.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mikebo
How about if you're a private detective and need to follow people without advertising? Some of those cheating spouses wanna shake me (or kill me) if they know they're being followed.

Regards,
mikebo
As far as private detectives go, I would be more worried about the DRL's attracting attention while curbside in the waiting mode. This can be the cause of "excessive idling" mentioned in another thread. I know some private detectivies would prefer to sweat it out, and I suppose that THEY do not work in Phoenix, Arizona in August.

There are plenty of other reasons a private detective may be out there. Thank god for Fuse #37. No need to cut a wire like the Corolla/Matrix.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:37 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mav238
You know, you are really one "interesting" fella... now you say the cheating occurs in daylight... so what the heck does the DRL have got to do with affecting a P.I. ability to tail someone in broad daylight??? For that matter, what the heck does a DRL has got to do with a P.I. job? If every other car has a DRL running, how can the person you are tailing know the difference then? Blend into the environment, isn't that the rule of thumb for tailing or camouflaging?

Okay, I get it... you just want to be "different" right....? Just hate being regulated or "governed" even if it makes sense...

But seriously, the DRL is really out of sight from you, you don't even know it's working while you are driving... how can that bother you? *scratch head*... Unless you have a vanity mirror stuck out in front of your hood, and you can see yourself and your DRLs at work...

If that out of sight DRL "bothers" you... wow.. I think you are one easily irritable person...
You obviously are not a PI. A PI sits for many long hours "waiting" for the subject of their investigation to appear. A car parked on the side of the road, running A/C or Heater can be seen from a great distance with DRL on. It is not only about one seeing you actually following them. It is about them noticing you BEFORE you follow them. It is not only about THEM seeing you either. You will have many that will call the police because a car has been sitting for hours with the headlights on.

You would be surprised what people call the police for. I was once working in North Las Vegas, and the police responded to a call about a "white guy" sitting a car that was "too nice to be in the neighborhood." (really, I like my RDX, but I don't think its nice enough to be called "too nice")

I also don't understand why every gives so much hassle over people wanting to disable the DRL. If you don't want/need yours disabled, why not just help this guy pull out fuse #37.

I never noticed the fog lamp issue, but a quick though would be three strips of wire, a simple pole switch, a burnt out fuse and a good fuse. run the wire to each end of the burnt out fuse. then run the remaining good fuse and wiring in a series with the switch. (then you can theoretically switch the fuse #37 on and off at will, without diving under the dash. Using that method you can be more like a chameleon, and appear to be a different car. Try that one Mikebo.