Dash Glare

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Glare

Does anyone else have glare off there dash the part that says air bag on the right. I recently had my car in the shop and they cleaned it and I am trying to figure out if they put some kind of shine on it. When the sun hits it it gets really shinny and reflective. I cant remember if it was like this before. I wiped it down like twice with soapy water and microfiber towels and it still seems shinny. Is everyone elses like this. Its bugging me in traffic. Thanks I looked for dash pictures takin by members and cant seem to find any good ones. Any suggestions for removing shine stuff if thats what it is?
Old 01-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdx4fun
Does anyone else have glare off there dash the part that says air bag on the right. I recently had my car in the shop and they cleaned it and I am trying to figure out if they put some kind of shine on it. When the sun hits it it gets really shinny and reflective. I cant remember if it was like this before. I wiped it down like twice with soapy water and microfiber towels and it still seems shinny. Is everyone elses like this. Its bugging me in traffic. Thanks I looked for dash pictures takin by members and cant seem to find any good ones. Any suggestions for removing shine stuff if thats what it is?

I don't have any issues with glare at all. Mr. Clean magic eraser will probably take that shine away, but I'm not sure if it will permanently affect the finish. I'd test it out in a hidden spot first under the dash.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Good thought thanks. I'll try it on a loaner RDX first. lol
Old 01-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Photographer

whats wrong with a good pair of polarized glasses?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:52 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Originally Posted by DNPhotography
whats wrong with a good pair of polarized glasses?
Have you noticed that polarized glasses makes the Navi screen hard to see?

Old 01-21-2007, 12:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by F.Rizzo

Also plays tricks with many window tints...
Old 01-21-2007, 01:07 AM
Photographer

haha yes to both of the above. but the advantages out weight the disadvantages.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not if the tint is on your own car, and you have trouble see through the windows because of it!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Methinks you have som MAUI Jims ...
Old 01-22-2007, 05:38 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
Actually I was remarking today that it does not do this.

This was at the same time that I was noticing today that my polarized lenses do wonders for the glare from my dash. I was driving through trees at one point and was blinded every time the sun peeked through a hole in the trees and when I eventually put on my polarized sunglasses I never saw any more reflections or change due to the shade and sun variations - very nice. If I tilted my head slightly then I could see the reflections again, but not if I was driving with head upright. While I was experimenting on that I saw something interesting (and cool) about the Nav screen.

I've been using polarized glasses for a long time and most LCD screens are very hard to read, but usually only at an angle. Most LCD screens are installed in consumer devices in the correct orientation so that the polarization they use to display their graphics is compatible with the typical polarization of a pair of polarized sunglasses. If you turn the devices (or your head) sideways then most LCD displays turn black. I've found a few exceptions - mainly some gas station pump displays that are angled wrong so that they are black upright and you have to angle your head or take off your shades to read them.

This can also be annoying with digital cameras where you can take a picture in the regular position, but if you turn it 90 degrees to take a portrait picture you can't see the LCD viewfinder. Grrrr...

But, I've also found 2 LCD screens so far where this does not happen - the first I ever saw that was immune to the angle of view was the screen on my RAZR. Not sure what Motorola did to it so that it can be seen under any orientation, but it works like magic. Is there a depolarization glass they can put on top of them?

And the second LCD screen I've encountered was - tada - the nav. screen on my RDX. When I was doing the head tilt game with the dash reflections I noticed that the Nav screen wasn't varying so I took my sunglasses off today and ran them in a complete 360 degree circle and saw only a very slight change in the brightness of the screen - maybe 10 percent or so, but nowhere near the typical change in the average LCD.

My current polarized lenses are Revo's, but I usually use Maui Jim's (got the Revo's as an experiment when I lost my last pair of MJs).
Old 01-22-2007, 05:46 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Originally Posted by sasair
Not if the tint is on your own car, and you have trouble see through the windows because of it!
Tint can look very pretty from the outside with polarized lenses. ;-)

Unfortunately, I've only been inside a car with aftermarket tint once before and don't remember if I put on my polarized lenses or what I saw. FWIW, the factory tinting on my RDX does not do anything that reduces visibility when I have my polarized Revo's on.

With polarized lenses I do often see an interesting pattern of stress marks on many panes of automotive glass, even untinted ones, when viewed from the outside. I have checked such cars for visibility from the inside and noticed that the stress marks were nearly invisible from the inside - I could make them out because I knew they were there, but I wouldn't have noticed them otherwise. I think the bright backlighting when looking out through the glass in the daytime (sunglass wearing weather) masks the patterns that one normally sees when looking in through the same window.

As always, YMMV...
Old 01-22-2007, 06:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by flar
My current polarized lenses are Revo's, but I usually use Maui Jim's (got the Revo's as an experiment when I lost my last pair of MJs).
i also wear revo's, i need to remove it everytime i do something with the navi.
revos's are great btw.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Originally Posted by mbjude
i also wear revo's, i need to remove it everytime i do something with the navi.
revos's are great btw.
Is that because of interference with the polarization or simply because the screen isn't bright enough to compete with a sunny day and dark lenses? My screen could be a lot brighter, but when I did the 360 rotate with the polarized lenses it didn't have much effect. So yes, sometimes under some lighting conditions bare eyes are the only thing that will work, but that isn't a polarized vs. non-polarized sunglass problem.

And the polarized benefits in making the dash glare go away completely are unparalleled...
Old 01-22-2007, 10:48 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flar
With polarized lenses I do often see an interesting pattern of stress marks on many panes of automotive glass, even untinted ones, when viewed from the outside. I have checked such cars for visibility from the inside and noticed that the stress marks were nearly invisible from the inside - I could make them out because I knew they were there, but I wouldn't have noticed them otherwise. I think the bright backlighting when looking out through the glass in the daytime (sunglass wearing weather) masks the patterns that one normally sees when looking in through the same window.
I've observed the same effect but hadn't thought of stress as the cause. I thought safety glass for auto windows is made by combining layers of glass with a clear adhesive sprayed on between the layers. My guess was that viewing the glass through polarized lenses brings out the spray pattern of the adhesive. Anyone auto safety glass experts out there?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
I've observed the same effect but hadn't thought of stress as the cause. I thought safety glass for auto windows is made by combining layers of glass with a clear adhesive sprayed on between the layers. My guess was that viewing the glass through polarized lenses brings out the spray pattern of the adhesive. Anyone auto safety glass experts out there?
That could be - my "stress mark" comment was more of a description of what it looks like than what is causing it....