* Voice activated navigation helps keeps eyes on the road
* Concert-hall 10-speaker stereo
* Luxuriously appointed interior

Cons:

* FIRM ride
* That turbo is thirsty!
* Minimal cargo room
* Front fascia styling only a mother could love
Just when I thought there was no hope for the crossover segment, Acura introduces the game-changing 2010 RDX with a fresh new exterior look, a more luxurious interior, and a host of new technology features. The 2010 RDX is now available with a two-wheel drive option which offers improved fuel economy and a lower price point over its SH-AWD™ counterpart.

Styling
OK, Acura… Let’s get the bad out of the way so we can get on with the good stuff. What’s the deal with your visual branding “power plenum grill” that has plagued your car line? You have damaged the looks of one of the most handsome lines of cars out there. I have not yet met anyone who thinks it’s attractive. Enough on that. The rest of the exterior styling is great – the sheet metal looks very fluid and dramatic. The updates to the rear-end styling for 2010 are great. Acura has really perfected the appearance from the rear.

Driving Impressions
All RDX models come with a 240 hp, 2.3L turbocharged, direct-injection, 4-cylinder engine with i-VTEC™ (intelligent Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control). I had the pleasure of driving the lighter-weight 2WD version. The ride is firm, but the RDX is quite nimble when slicing through the turns. I was impressed by how the RDX drives more like a sports sedan than an SUV. Potential RDX buyers will be elated to know that there is no significant loss of the driving feel when comparing the all-wheel drive system to the front-wheel drive alternative.

The technology package, which brings voice-activated navigation, rearview camera, real-time traffic and weather, 10-speaker surround w/subwoofer, and dual zone, GPS-enabled climate control, provides a generous level of comfort and convenience. The RDX felt like a perfect partner in crime… er travel.

The RDX’s small size limits cargo capacity, but the car is just so nimble and agile, the small size turns out to be one of its assets. It’s also deceptively quick. If you are first in line at the traffic signal, a few seconds after getting the green you are already separated from the rest of the pack as they continue to shrink in your rear-view mirror.

Acura’s quality Michelin tire choice and substantial sound damping help with the exceptionally quiet ride. This is the quietest Honda/Acura I have ever driven. A small amount of wind noise creeps through at freeway speeds, but it’s remarkably quiet overall.

The primary sound you hear is some sexy engine noise under brisk acceleration – Acura engineered that sound and I can appreciate it immensely; it doesn’t happen by accident. The engine makes a nice growl along with a little wisp of turbo spool. It’s intoxicating and addicting!

Interior Comfort and Ergonomics

I loved the nicely perforated, supportive and heated leather seats. They are a bit on the firm side, but I felt great even after long trips and I think they’ll hold up to years of use. There’s a lot going on with the dash, but its well worth the effort to learn it.

After taking a minute to study the layout, I found the buttons easy to decipher. There are four basic button areas: Nav Interface Dial, Audio, Climate control, and steering wheel buttons, and three display areas: Nav Screen, Center display, Multi-Information Display on the speedo cluster.

The center interface dial and surrounding buttons can be used to control navigation, weather, and traffic info; fine-tune the 10-speaker stereo settings including bass, midrange, treble, center and subwoofer volume, all using the navigation screen for visual feedback.

Acura RDX front seating area 60/40 split folding rear seats 60.6 cubic feet of storage when rear seats are folded flat

Below the interface dial, you’ll find basic radio controls in a typical half-din style interface. You can control volume, select sources and presets, load CD’s, seek/scan, and and there is an analog, audio Aux-in jack. There is a USB connector in the center armrest console and the iPhone/iPod controls work great.

Flanking the Interface Dial area are the Dual-zone, GPS-enabled, sun-position-sensing climate controls. That’s the wordy-way of saying it keeps you and your passenger comfortable no matter what. You can set and forget the temperature controls. The temp and fan-speed feedback display is near the windshield next to the ubiquitous, yet expanded Honda/Acura digital clock (called the ‘center display’). This display also shows audio system status including artist/song titles.

There’s a small multi-information display at the bottom of the center speedometer gauge. Use this display along with steering wheel buttons to personalize basic car options. Do you want the doors to unlock when you shift into park? How long do you want the auto headlights to remain on after you exit the vehicle? Do you want to enable hands-free Bluetooth? All of these can be done with the multi-information display.

Acura RDX command center Route guidance from the nav-system Acura RDX center information display

I need to take a few sentences to praise the voice-activated Navigation. For one, you can operate it while driving without taking your eyes off the road. There are a host of voice-commands you can speak to it, making it infinitely useful.

On your way to your destination, you decide you need gas. You press a button on the steering wheel and say “Find nearest gas station” or “Find nearest fast food” in a couple seconds; the Nav display lists search results on the screen.

Not wanting you to take your eyes off of the road to read the list, you twist the Interface Dial and the Nav reads out the listing to you; “Chevron”, “Shell”, or “In-n-out burger”, "Taco Bell”. You press the Interface dial when you hear the one you want and the nav asks if you want to ‘set as new destination’ or ‘set as a way point’ on your current route. You select “add as waypoint” with the Interface Dial and the voice-assisted nav guides you there.

I just can’t get over how easy and intuitive it is. Nissan, GM, and others should take note of what Acura has done with their navigation. Oh, and you can use your voice to control almost every function of the car – audio, climate control – you just need to learn to use the proper vernacular.

Handling
The very firm ride is the first hint to great handling. The suspension might even be a bit over-damped, but the first time you pitch it into a corner, it’s worth any compromise in freeway ride comfort. The RDX can probably out corner many sedans – it’s that confident in the corners. I could not detect much body roll at all and it just felt planted while inspiring confidence.

My passengers were not impressed with the firm ride on the freeway. In fact, my wife wrote off the car almost completely as did my rear-seat passenger. They felt they were being thrown back and forth over bumps on the highway. I think it’s a combination of firm suspension, relatively short wheel-base and high-perched seating position from being a crossover. I thought it was awesome! But I had a steering wheel to hold onto. It did seem as firm as my own sports car!

Acura’s choice of Michelin Pilot HX – MXM4 in P235/55R18 had a lot to do with great handling – sticky, responsive and quiet. The brakes are exceptional as well. Jump on them and they scrub speed very quickly and the chassis just deals with the g-forces.

Engine/Drivetrain Performance
All RDX models come with a turbocharged and intercooled 2.3 liter 4-cylinder engine pushing nearly 13.5 PSI of boost. Does the absence of the AWD make it a poser? Not at all; it’s almost 200 pounds lighter than its AWD counterpart. So while the AWD might be quicker off the line, I‘d bet the 2WD is quicker everywhere else. As a bonus, fuel economy is improved due to the reduced weight – 19 city/24 highway versus 17/22 for the AWD. Observed gas mileage during our enthusiastic week with the RDX was 19 mpg overall.

Yes, wheel-spin can be an issue if you are not careful. Also, the engine power output is fairly peaky. So off the line, you give it maybe 50% throttle, but then you have to back down to maybe 25% throttle as the RPMs creep up and turbo boost kicks in. It took a little getting used to but it was livable.

This is a good place to point out Acura’s Vehicle Stability Assist. I was unfortunate (or fortunate) to get some rain when I had the RDX. I must say that Acura has done a commendable job controlling torque steer. I am not sure how they did it, but their traction control was not intrusive like some cars. At some points in the wet, under hard acceleration, I knew the tires were struggling for traction but the wheel held straight and true and power was still sent to the wheels, but at just the right amount not to cause wheel-spin.

Build Quality
What can I say? It’s a Honda/Acura. Build is top-notch. Every piece seems solid, all panels match up very nicely, and there are no squeaks or rattles.

The 10-speaker stereo included in The Technology package is noteworthy. A center speaker up front and DVD-Audio capability are pretty impressive. With 410 watts and a powered 8–inch subwoofer in the trunk, sound quality adds up to pure listening joy. The sub plays with authority down to 30 Hz. There’s just nothing in this car that Acura did not over-engineer. I really don’t know how they kept the MSRP down.

Value
The 2WD RDX starts at $32,520. Add the technology package (worth every penny!) and you’re looking at $35,620. As well-appointed as this car is, and if it were sporting a Bavarian propeller/sky badge, it would cost you closer to $50k.

The RDX has got to be the best bang for the buck crossover available today.

Who should buy it?
This is a great car for an enthusiast with a young family. If you are considering selling your sportscar or just want to start with something more practical, the RDX is the hot-ticket. Keep in mind it’s a small crossover, but you’ll be happy with the compact proportions when you are maneuvering around town in tight spaces.

Conclusion
I really enjoyed my time with the 2010 RDX. Before spending some quality time with the RDX, I never thought I’d use words like fun and dynamic in the same sentence as crossover. Now I’m totally convinced that there is hope in crossover segment. The RDX has won me over with its powerful engine and responsive handling. Given enough time I can write a book on the voice-activated navigation. If Acura could put all of these features and performance into a sporty car, I’d be all over it. If I had to buy a crossover, this would be on the top of my list by a wide margin with the technology package just being the icing on an already delicious cake.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:18 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
who wrote this, a forth grader? does the writer know that the RDX has been out since 06 - he writes like its the first time the car was released, additionally, ppl need to stop with this introductory language of 'more luxurious interior' id love for any reviewer to compare the 2010 to the past model and point out the 'differences' other than borrowing acura's press release language.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:44 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
fourth....and yes, that's who probably wrote it.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:30 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
but whose lookin haha
Old 02-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm looking forward to see how well the FWD RDX actually sells. I mean, seriously, SH-AWD is da' bomb! It was the main reason for my purchase. Without SH-AWD, IMO, the RDX just becomes another grocery getter.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:31 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
which is what most people want/need. However, with the spirited suspension of the RDX, most grocery getter will be discouraged to get it.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:15 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking still loving my 07 tech!

The RDX is a Great CUV and a great deal compared to the other luxury counterparts. SH-AWD is what sets the boys from the men, yes it is the bomb diggity plus, and is what makes any Acura with it dynamic!!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
lol @ direct injection...reviewers need to know the specs before writing articles.